Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
EsmeAmelia

Orbs and spells

I'm thinking about writing a walkthrough for Build C of AV1. I've played AV1 over and over and feel like I know it backwards and forwards, but there's one thing I still haven't figured out.

Which of Lars's orbs enhance which spells? Some of them you can kind of guess (the Dragon Orb would enhance fire spells, for example), but others are hard to figure out (like the Cracked Orb).

Is there a list anywhere of which orbs enhance which spells?

Some I have tested and are not true. I tried some spells from Velt (from that guild) and they where dramatically weakened and did like 1 damage through the Gnome orb. They did monstrous damage through the Dragon orb though. So some of the info maybe incorrect. You might wanna experiment to find the right spells and orb combo.

Who were you fighting against though? The same enemies with each orb, or different enemies?

I've just checked the database and scripts, and the gnome orb SHOULD increase the damage done by 4 of the 6 Annihilator spells. The Dragon Orb will also increase the damage, but not as much as the Gnome Orb.

If you were fighting different enemies, it's possible that one lot had a resistance to those elements and the other didn't.

Yep. Some monsters/enemies have immunities against certain spells. If my memory serve me correctly, the Angels of Death over at Ahriman's Lair have immunity against Time Master spells but weak against Annihilator spells.

It's been a while since I've played with the Time Master guild. I THINK I've noticed in the past that the Blood Orb found in Ahriman's Lair is good for Annihilator (the guild I usually join) spells but it rendered spells for some other guild useless. I can't remember which guild, though.

No, Necromancer spells are the most effective spells when matched with Blood. It's good for Annihilator probably because the Element the Blood Orb has don't counter-act with Annihilator spells and the monsters aren't immune to said spells.

Sooo... Okay, This is what I got.

Dragon Orb seem like it's best for any spell that involves fire, regardless of what guild. I guess the effectiveness increase when the element of the weapon match the element of the staff? Then I'm guessing Blood has "Darkness" element or something. Annihilator stuff really depends. You have Absolute Zero (Ice/water) and Earthquake (earth), AND Bomb (fire) after all. If Aveyond used RMXP's default elements and didn't use extra elements, that is.

Yes, it's elements, but of spells, not weapons. Each orb has one or two elements that they enhance (not to the same degree) and another element that they reduce (what is the opposite of enhance?)

So spells that use those elements will be more, or less, effective, depending on the orb Lars has equipped on his staff when the spell is cast.

Not all spells from each guild have the same elements, so an orb might enhance some spells a lot, and some only a little (or not at all) from the same guild.

Shaz! You ninja'd me while I was editing my post! width=50http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/n/ninja.gif[/img]

Sooo. I mentioned issues that weapons only enhance particular elements. Annihilator has spells of various elements, so it's definitely not guild-based thing like shaz said.

Cracked and Charmed seem to improve the same spells, although Charmed is the stronger orb.

On that note, there's something I've been wanting wondering. We already have a Build B guide, albeit rather incomplete (this orb/spell discussion proves it), but Build C is not that much different from Build B other than one or two quests, no? Do we need an entirely new guide for it? :S

No. The question was asked, when build C was released, whether we need a new guide. Build C has a new quest where you HAVE to save the fairies in the Dark Caverns (you only GET the quest if you haven't brought them with you to the Memory Caverns), and you can prove to the Mountain King that fairies exist in two ways now - the old way (get the bottle, catch the fairies), and the new way (get the fairies from the Dark Caverns then take them to the Mountain King). The book collector gives you something different for all the pages you collect. Other than that, both builds are played in the same way, so it didn't warrant an extra walkthrough.

Give me some time and I'll give you all the gory details of what orb affects what spell. I just have to go through and document it all thoroughly.

That's the thing. Esme said in the initial post she was thinking of writing a walkthrough for Build C. If Build B and C are the exact same thing, then all we need is an addendum for the changes in C :S

Ah, I forgot that comment. Yes, there isn't very much at all that's different between the two, especially as far as story and quests go.

Addition of mouse control and difficulty levels do not really affect what would be in a walkthrough, except to state that build C has them.

Wait, a slight off topic question: how do you trigger the "you have to save the missing fairies" quest? I mean, I know that I have to take them for the fairy dust because I've played the game too many times so I automatically pick them up when I wander around Dark Caverns. Suppose I don't pick them up? What is the trigger?

There's a fairy blocking Vata's temple in Build C. If you've saved the fairies, all you need to do to get her to move is tell her about them. If you haven't, she won't move untill you save them.

And well, I was just thinking about writing a walkthrough for Build C because there wasn't one. (shrugs).

Gnome Orb - Earth Spells

Flood Orb - Water/Ice Spells

Star Orb - Healing/Lightning/Thunder/Fire Spells

Cracked Orb - Explosion Spells

Dragon Orb - Fire/Poison Spells

Enchanted Orb - Time Mage Spells

Blood Orb - Darkness Spells

That's according to my observation.. I use 8 spells.. Firefly, Tsunami, Annihilate, Blast, Healing Extora, Lightning Storm, Death and Time Storm