Aveyond Studios Community
tiniponi

Aveyond 3 The Lost Orb (TLO) FAQs

AVEYOND 3: THE LOST ORB - FAQ

Q: How do I load a game from Gates of Night?
A: In TLO, and all future chapters, you should choose New Game. If the game detects that you have an ending save file from the previous chapter, it will ask you if you want to load it. Answer No to start a completely new game, or Yes to open the Load menu with the GoN saves. A benefit of this is that TLO and GoN ending saves are kept separate, so you'll never accidentally overwrite your GoN end game.

Q: What does "Reset Mel's Level" mean?
A: If you continue a game from Gates of Night, you will be given the option to reset Mel's level. TLO is designed so that battles will be not-too-easy, not-too-hard, if Mel starts at level 30. So choosing Yes will set Mel's level to 30, whether it was higher or lower at the end of GoN.

Q: Where is the Post Office in Thais?
A: It is between the Armory and Weaponry Shops.

Q: Why can’t I move the boulder in the Ruins? Where do I need to push it?
A: You have to click on the boulder at least once, then walk down both sets of steps in the newly-discovered area, and then west over to right by the waterfall. Mel will notice something behind the waterfall and say she can use the boulder to block off the stream. Climb back up the steps to the boulder, stand north of it, and push it down 2 or 3 times, then west 3 times, then south over the cliff. Climb back down to where it now sits, and push it west until it blocks the stream to the waterfall. NOTE: If it gets stuck in a corner, you will get a message asking if you want it to be reset.

Q: Where is the Shovel?
A: It’s in a corner of the Peliad Cemetary, in the northern part of Peliad.

Q: What is the maximum number of monsters that can be in a group?
A: There are some with five and at least one with six. Also, one of the bosses calls in six cohorts to help it, so in that case, there are seven. However, the largest number on most maps is four.

Q: Why do I keep dying while fighting the cockroaches?
A: Because you didn’t take advantage of the weapons/armor shop in the sewers.

Q: How can I open the Rusty Chests?
A: Use the crowbar you can find in Tyobi Palace’s west wing.

Q: How can I open the Locked Chests?
A: You can obtain a Treasure Key in a chest in Ashera’s Tomb.

Q: How can I open Ashera’s Tomb door?
A: The Mermaid Key in Stonetooth Cave System (near the beanstalk) will open it.

Q: Where is Harburg?
A: It is on the Mainland, south of Thais. To reach it the first time, you must go through the Thial Mountain Cave System, Thial Mountains South, and Shadow Woods North.

Q: How can my equipment be upgraded/fortified?
A: Dulus, the Blacksmith in Tyobi, will fortify some equipment items for you if you have the proper materials and enough cash. The base items are available by the time you reach him, and the other items needed are from monster drops. Choose the item you want to ‘buy’, and it will then show you what you need in order for him to make it. Your equipment must not be equipped when he fortifies it, so be sure to fully equip your party when you’re done.

Q: Where are the missing pets?
A: Highlight for spoiler:
- Bomber Bird – Blueleaf Forest (near the Beehive)
- Firebird – Worm Tunnels (close to entrance from Tyobi Blacksmith shop )
- Fairy Toad – Crystal Cavern(on path to Beanstalks)

Q: Where can I find Empty Bottles for capturing pixies?
A: (Note: The first time you need Empty Bottles, you need three; the second time, you need all five.)
- Blueleaf Forest
- Circus
- Crystal Caverns
- Ashera’s Tomb
- Mana Caves
-

Q: How can I get candy for the pixies?
A: Do the Damodar sidequest, and Madhuri will give you Candy part way through to get past the pixies.

Q: How can I get nails and a hammer?
A: You will find them in a chest in the palace pantry when you rescue Karl.

Q: Why is the Intelligence Agency in Stormbend locked?
A: The skills taught there and in other intelligence agencies from LoT/Gon are not needed in TLO, so none of those agencies are accessible in TLO. There are two new agencies in Eldrion which teach new skills you need.

Q: What can I do about getting the Empress a pie?
A: This quest requires bouncing back and forth numerous times between Tyobi and Harakauna, and involves a Rooster and a Mouse. Thankfully, the Magic Mirror Express makes this a lot easier. It was a *very* long walk prior to beta, so the multiple trips seemed to be never-ending.

Q: What is the maximum level for June’s tricks, and how do they increase?
A: For all but Poison Ivy, which has only one level, the maximum is five. After ten successful hits with a trick, it will increase one level. If the trick misses, it doesn’t count. Three of her numbered tricks must be at level 5, AND she must prove in some way that she has mastered them, before she can receive her Magician’s Certificate.

Q: Will June leave the party once she gets her Magician’s Certificate?
A: She won’t receive it until the end of the game, so you don’t need to worry about ‘losing’ her.

Q: Are there any side benefits of donating to the beggars?
A: None for the one coin you give them but if you talk to them again, you can give more. When you give more, the beggar will tell you about a recipe for the Apothecary system. S/He will give you more information about the recipe if you give 500 gold coins than if you give 100.

Q: Where is the Rooster which escaped from the Tyobi Palace’s chef?
A: It is in Wyrmbone Desert, in a clearing just to the west of the path from the Root System to Tyobi. There is an Oasis there.

Q: How can I remove the Cursed status?
A: Just as in previous Aveyond games, Witcheye Root removes the Cursed status. A little trick many of us use is to always have an item of Cursed armor with us (cursed weapon doesn’t work for this). When you are cursed, equip then unequip the armor, and your cursed status will be removed. This way, you can save your Witcheye Root for use during battle. NOTE: In TLO, if you’re cursed during a battle and have run out of Witcheye Root, you can still do the equip/unequip trick, but it will take up two of your combat turns for the cursed individual.

Q: Where can I find the Love Potion recipe?
A: From either Burnaby or his niece in Harburg. Which one has it depends on whether or not you did the Burnaby/Hanna sidequest in LoT.

Q: How many bird forms can Yvette have, and what is special about them?
A: Four: Sparrow, Mogpie, Wobbler, Bluetail. Each bird form has its own combat skills.

Q: How many eggs can we hatch in TLO?
A: Two - Pixie Egg and Metal Specter Egg

Q: Where can I find the Pixie Egg and/or Metal Specter Egg?
A: Highlight for spoiler:
- Pixie Egg – Crystal Caverns just past the area in which you find Hercules & the pixies
- Metal Specter Egg – Underfall, in the wilderness area south of town

Q: Where can I find the Diamond I need for the Alchemist?
A: The Glowbugs in the Fauna Caves (Acropolis) drop Diamonds.

Q: How many Attraction points can Spook have?
A: Anywhere from –7 to +6.

Q: Where can I get attraction points for Spook?
A: Highlight for spoilers:

- Shoal Leiu – perfume - Teya
- Peliad Sewer – Rat Tail (in room with thief merchant)
- Harakauna – Winnie – flowers
- Tyobi – Slice of pie in palace kitchen
- Underfall Junk Shop – book of poetry NOTE – this LOWERS Spook’s attraction by one point
- Acropolis – Faux Hercules Bust
- Love potion – (made from recipe you get from Burnaby or Loretta in Harburg)
- - If Edward uses it and Spook is in the party, Spook will LOSE a point.
- - If Edward uses it and Spook is NOT in the party, Spook’s points won’t be affected
- - If Spook uses it, he will gain an attraction point.

Q: Can you list all the negative and minus points separately, please?Here's how you can gain attraction points for the various PCs: (highlight for answer:
Spook:
- have him use the love potion on Mel
- have Mel accept the rat tail
- have Mel accept flowers
- have Mel accept perfume
- have Mel accept the ugly Hercules bust
- have Mel accept the pie

Here's how you can lose attraction points for him:
- have Edward use the love potion on Mel
- have Mel reject the rat tail
- have Mel reject the flowers
- have Mel reject the perfume
- have Mel reject (and smash) the ugly Hercules bust
- have Mel reject the pie
- have Spook read the book of poetry in Underfall to Mel

Q: Are the Fingerbone, Eyeball, and Golden Scale used in the game?
A: Yes, in Apothecary Recipe experimentation.

Q: How many times can you be thrown in jail?
A: Twice: once (Mel) during the Stop baby trade sidequest, and once (Edward) after helping Rat in Tyobi. The second requires the first.

Q: Does TLO have Goodie Caves?
A: Yes, but they aren’t really needed to play the game. We strongly suggest you play the game through once without them, then use them for later playthroughs. They dramatically shorten the game and make it much easier. You are free to use them your first time through, but if you do, please don’t complain about the game being too short or too easy. The Strategy Guide you can buy from BigFish Games has the caves prominently marked. The maps which I will post on the forums will have them marked, but very subtly.

Q: I don’t understand how to get the Color Block Riddle answers from the Riddle.
A: There is something mentioned in each part of the riddle that has a color associated with it … use those to determine what color each block should be. Click on each block until it is the correct color:
Highlight for color sequence:
yellow, green, blue, gray

Q: How can I get past the fourth level in the Rock-climbing test?
A: First of all, use the keyboard instead of the mouse for this, and save after each level. That way, if you get hit, you can reload and not have to start all the way down again. When you get to the fourth level, climb up onto the cliff face while the boulder is still to the right. When it passes under you to the left, quickly climb down and run right.

Q: Is there any way to ‘get back at’ Hercules in TLO?
A: Yes, there are three ways.
Highlight for spoilers …
- Paying to have his sculptured bust doctored
- using an item you can buy
- using an item you can make with Apothecary experimentation

Q: Where can I find a new act for the Circus?
A: This requires having helped Hercules, including blowing up the bridge in the Crystal Caverns. Later, you can find all five pixies in the Fauna Caves. You’ll need five bottles to capture them.

Q: The Blue Mushrooms only give 2 or 3 gold coins for drops … is this correct?
A: Yes, it is intentional. The Blue Mushrooms give better experience at the cost of much less loot.

Q: How can I make the recipes or experiment with ingredients? I see no way to combine ingredients in my inventory.
A: You have to be in Harakauna’s Alchenist Shop and use the bowl on the worktable to make them. Note that Ulf must have become the Alchemist’s Apprentice for you to be able to use the bowl.

Q: Of what use are the items you can make with recipes?
A: For any potion/powder/etc, you make, you will need to experiment to find its use. Some are used only in combat, some only out of combat, and some at any time. Once you have successfully used an item, its name and what it does will be shown. NOTE: If you look at an item and it is grayed out, it is not usable wherever you are (in combat or out of combat).

Q: Where can I get Diamonds, Emeralds, Sapphires, Opals, and Topaz,?
A: As follows:
- Diamonds – dropped by Glowbugs in Fauna Caves
- Emeralds – dropped by Emerald Slimes in the Crystal Caverns
- Sapphires – dropped by Snapdragons in Blueleaf Forest
- Opals & Topaz – The Brown Worm in the Root System drops one of them when defeated. After that, fighting the Worms in the Worm Tunnels will get you as many as you want to spend time getting.

Q: What does Moth Powder do?
A: It can turn an enemy party into moths. Note that this will make a battle much easier, but greatly reduce the experience you get from the battle. The loot will, however, remain the same.

Q: Who is Spook?
A: A boy thief who helps Mel and later joins the party. To find out more, play the game!

Q: How long does Beast Repellent last.
A: ‘Normal’ Beast Repellent – 30 seconds; long-lasting one you can make – 2 minutes

Q: When can I make experimental recipes?
A: Once Ulf becomes an Apprentice, you can experiment at any time, as long as you already have a recipe with the correct quantity of each ingredient. For instance, if you learn a recipe has 3 of one item, 2 of another, and one of another, you must use a recipe that uses that number of ingredients to do your experimenting.

Q: Where can I get new recipes?
A: Some from people, some from shops, one from a table, and one from a bookcase
Highlight for spoilers …

- Purple Warp Egg - Moo hatchery building on a table
- Love Potion – from Burnaby or his niece, Loretta, in Burnaby’s house in Harburg (which one gives it to you depends on whether or not you reunited Burnaby & Hanna in LoT.
- Ice Bomb – buy from Circus vendor
- Mushroom Pie – Willoby’s bookcase in Harakauna after he leaves for Tyobi
- Moth Powder – Underfall Junk Shop

Q: Why is it sometimes raining and sometimes not raining in Peliad and the surrounding areas?
A: The rain is random, although it will be raining much more often than not. If it is raining in Peliad, it will also be raining in both Bristle Woods.

Q: How many letters can I receive from Te’ijal, and how often?
A: There are four letters which you can receive and answer. They are spaced 15 minutes apart (actual game time, and not in a combat screen). The original one you receive in continued games doesn’t count toward the four. The timer on receiving the first of the four letters starts when you pick up your belongings from the Thais Post Office.

Q: Is there a way to open the treasure chests in the Empress’ Treasury in Tyobi Palace?
A: Not in TLO. Who knows about the next game?

Q: I need help with the Peliad baby trade sidequest.
A: This quest is available only after Edward joins the party.
Highlight for major spoilers:

NOTE: A timer for this quest starts when you choose whether to report Gwenalle. You have four hours of actual game time to complete the sting, or Gwenalle will die.

Note: If you want to do a further somewhat-related sidequest later on in the game, you need to do this a little differently. See the Real Golden Frog and Hercules Bust sidequest below for information on this.

• Jail – Talk to the Inspector. (not mandatory, but makes the story complete)

• Lady Gwenalle’s manor – Have tea with Lady Gwenalle, then talk to Ines in the kitchen.

• Bedroom – Read the Ledger on the table to learn where to find proof.

• Tavern – Talk to Edgar.

• Jail – Talk to the Inspector and arrange a sting operation.

• Inn – take a nap until dusk.

• Garden – Talk to the Inspector. Talk to Edgar. In a cutscene, Lady Gwenalle is arrested.

• Manor – Talk to Ines to receive a reward, She will reward you with a Lucky Charm.

• Inn – Rest again to return to daytime. (You don’t have to pay again, since it is the same night.)

Q: How can I do the Return the real Golden Frog sidequest? And what are the Faux and real Hercules Busts for?
A: Doing these sidequests depends on what you do in the Stop baby trade sidequest. You have to be thrown in jail during that quest and help Rat, the boy in the cell with you. If you’ve done that, you can find him in Tyobi later. He will then ask Edward to help him, and if you agree, Edward can then get the real Golden Frog, as well as a Hercules Bust. There are many variables to several of the sidequests in TLO, and your choices in one often affect what you can and can’t do in others. The possible results are as follows: (highlight for spoilers)

• Give Golden Frog to Rat – the frog will turn up later in Freddie’s Diner (what used to be Leopold’s Bistro). You can’t get it back in this case, and so, can’t finish the Golden Frog quest nor give the fake or real busts to Walt.

• Give Hercules Bust to Rat – Rat smashes it on the ground … end of story.

• Keep the real Bust PLUS get the Faux/ugly Bust later in Acropolis AND offer the Faux Bust to Fahd – Fahd will buy it from you.

• Keep the real Bust PLUS get the Faux/ugly one later in Acropolis AND offer the real Bust to Fahd – Edward will be thrown in jail … not a good thing. You will have to bail Edward out of prison.

• Keep the real Bust PLUS get the Faux/ugly one later in Acropolis AND give real Golden Frog to Walt then give the FAKE Bust to Walt in Thais Museum - Walt refuses it.

• Keep the real Bust PLUS get the Faux/ugly one later in Acropolis AND give real Golden Frog to Walt then give the REAL Bust to Walt in Thais Museum - Walt pays you for it.

NOTE: Be sure to note the conversation after the Museum (if you have the fake frog) and do what the party decides. Watch closely for a funny scene … it happens very quickly.

Q: Where can I find ingredients for the recipes?
A: Most ingredients can be found on the ground, or obtained from certain monsters. There are a few ingredients that you can only obtain one of in any game. Highlight for spoilers:

for Grow Potion:
- Rooster Feather - given by Karl as a quest reward (one only)
- Emerald - dropped by Emerald Slimes in Crystal Cavern
- Blueleaf Sap - obtained from the holes of trees in Blueleaf Forest

for Acid Potion:
Special Note: Even though you can collect ingredients to make several acid potions, you will not be able to create one of these yourself - only the alchemist can create one for you.
- Diamond - dropped by Glowbugs in Fauna Caves (Acropolis)
- Bloodthistle Flower - on the ground in the area surrounding Underfall
- Thindle Root - on the floor of the Root System (via Great Tree, Blueleaf Forest)

for other recipes:
NOTE: (x) indicates how often the item replenishes, in actual game time and while not in a combat menu. (N/A) indicates the item doesn’t respawn.

Bread (N/A) - Various shops
Fresh Milk (N/A) - Various shops
Cheese (N/A) - Various shops -
Eyeball (N/A) - Underfall (at costume ball – only one available)
Fingerbone (N/A) - Underfall (at costume ball – only one available)
Wine (N/A) - Château Lenore (Wine (N/A) – (reward for quest – only one available)
Golden Scale (N/A) - Acropolis (after sidequest – only one available)
Venison (N/A) - Monster drop (Pig Warrior – Bristle Woods)
Snapdragon Wings (N/A) - Monster drop (Snapdragons – Blueleaf Forest)
Slime (N/A) - Monster drop (Slimes - Crystal Caverns)
Skunk Leaf (45) - Bristle Woods West and East 45
Catspaw (45) - Blueleaf Forest
Blueleaf Sap (15) - Blueleaf Forest in holes in tree trunks
Nectar (15) - Beehive in Blueleaf Forest
Mushroom (60) - Willoby’s hose after he leaves for Tyobi
Icebell Flower (45) - Crystal Caverns

Q: Which weapons work in the Mana and Fauna Caves?
A: Use the weapons as follows:
For monsters other than Mushrooms, use mana-enhanced weapons in the Mana caves, and earth-enhanced weapons in the Fauna caves. For all Mushrooms, Charmed weapons work.

Q: Which weapons are Charmed, Earth-enhanced, or Mana-enhanced?
A: Charmed:
• Crystal Dagger
• Charmed Staff
• Wraith Sword
• Ashera’s Bow

Earth-enhanced:
• Earth Staff
• Templar Sword
• Imperial Bow

Mana-enhanced:
• Mana Staff
• Scorched Sword