Aveyond Studios Community
Ant

Post your reviews here!

Hi everyone, after you've played the game, we'd love to hear your feedback whether it is good, bad, or green. Also... how long did it take you to complete the game? Who was your favorite character? What ending did you choose? Share your stats! :)

Good, bad, or green? XD

Right! I loved this game from the moment I opened it. Of course, I expected nothing less--I've been around since Aveyond 1 for a reason --but I was not disappointed in any way over the course of the game. Except, I suppose, when it was over and I was left with that post-game "well now what am I supposed to do with myself?" feeling.

The story was excellent. No prophecies and chosen ones here! Just an ordinary man and his dog. And a mist wraith. Completely ordinary. The story never felt forced--the pacing was excellent. I was instantly attached to Boyle and Fang, and I felt every one of Boyle's ups and downs throughout the story. The emotions through the entire game were very real--the bickering between Myst and Boyle, Robin's lessons in kidnapping, Rowen's history with Miles...all of it was fantastic. The witty dialogue was a joy to read. The cast in this game was colorful, lively and ran the gamut of personality types. It's hard to pick a favorite from a cast as well-rounded as this. No party members were ever weak--whether in personality or in battle.

From the more visual side, the art is fantastic. I can only imagine the crew of artists that it took to make this game as pretty as it is! Everything from the menu to the battle animations is polished and pretty. The portrait art is fantastic. The expressions are expressive. Aaron Walz has once again outdone himself with the music. As a newly-minted game artist myself, I spent a whole lot of time appreciating the art while monsters of all types snuck up on me :)

From the more technical side, the battle system was great. Each character has a different weapon and armor set up--and a different set of commands to use in battle. Everyone has a specialty, and every specialty is valuable. I won't say any more on that--go find out for yourself! It's really, really neat.

Stats: I think it took me roughly 30 hours my first go-round. My party was between level 55 and 60 when I finished. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think Rowen wins the prize. I was also very fond of Robin--which is truly amazing, because I'm not sure I've ever liked a paladin before! Nobody married anyone in my run--I'm rather indecisive about attraction points and all that--but the possibilities were there and every one of them sounded great.

Overall Good, Bad or Green?: Green, definitely green. As in "Green light means go: go get this game, what are you waiting for?"

You guys have knocked our socks off once again!

Aveyond 4 totally caught me by surprise- it's different from its predecessors but in a really good way. And up till now Rhen was always my favourite but I think Boyle is now my favoutire protagonist of all time. :D One of the best things about Boyle is his relationship with Fang, being a pet person myself I totally enjoyed it. And all of the characters had much more depth then I've ever seen in AV games. So that's a huge plus point in my book. Another thing I enjoyed a lot was the night watch! It was so much fun. And that puzzle dungeon was also totally awesome. 

I finished my first run through at 29 hours. Didn't get anyone married because I didn't have any attraction points. Also that squirrel ending is love lol. XD As for my favourite...Robin and Boyle. Also Hi'beru and Rowen. Oops are we only suppose to choose one? xD And my party were at level 52-55 when I was done.

I think the graphics and music were good but the best thing about AV4 is the story line. It was so much fun to beta test and I'm so glad I got to help out!

Verdict: AWESOME! :D

So...when is AV5 coming out? xD xD xD 

Well I guess I'm going to be the bad and the green.  The game is made very well and I can tell a lot of effort and love have been put in to it.  But, I am so completely disappointed.  I was expecting something more like the other Aveyond games and this just is so different.  It just doesn't seem to me an Amaranth game but more of a John Wizard game.  I like John Wizard games but again wasn't expecting here in this game. If it weren't for my own expectations I would have to say the game is absolutely wonderful.  But until my disappointment subsides I can't even finish the demo.  I'm sorry I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear but I have to be honest.  I've been playing the other Aveyond games getting revved up for this one and I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy that doesn't care for change or surprises.

I LOVE the game especialy the the bounding between fang and boyle, it reminds me so much of relationship between me and my pet

1:Areas: beautifully deigned areas i love the medieval touch to houses and that markets are outside with items on tables and that some characters move like the women cleaning with broom.The only thing that i dont like is the area with dragons its just not my type and that i dont like but everything else is great especialy night watch and aveyond (area).

2:Spells: the thing that makes for me good game is spells and magic and i love that every character here have some skill and ability, i love the cheeki system but i wish there was a guild where ingrid could join

3:Characters: love them, each one had his own characteristic and i love that villain is the main character, my favorite one is Ingrid , it would be Myst if she could stay in her wraith form and if she could change into more forms

all together it was great my favorite area is aveyond and the dungeon and i will rate it as 4,9/5,0 please continue story and if possible add mel uma and nox in it next time 

I was playing 3 hours of game.

So interaction between party members makes it much more alive and battle system is fun to play.

But UI is step down - its clunky like in Aveyond 1.

In Aveyond 3 TDP everything was reachable with just pressing esc key.

Here I must click on party members to see what equipment they have.

Hopefully there will be build B, that will fix this little issue - to make inventory/equipment UI similar like in Aveyond 3.

It isn't issue in battles or when just walking around, only when equipping stuff.

Or it was me spoiled by easy interface.

Edit:

These screenshots were made just before final battle in TLO. Contains solution for final puzzle.

http://imgur.com/a/HV3zx (6 pictures in album)

UI here is nice and clean.

In Aveyond 4 this UI seems to have one layer more:

http://imgur.com/a/MGEHK

It will take some time to adapt.

I love this game. The story line is amazing. I loved how there were parts of the game that tied to the other Aveyond games: sword singer, squirrels, the dream world, the orb of pettyness (I think) and the princess thinking of marrying a Pendragon to spite her father, the King. 

I was worried about the puzzles when you first announced it. I dislike pushing boulders around to solve a puzzle. But I love the puzzles you put in the game. The dungeon and the card puzzle was really interesting to solve. Kudos to the puzzle creators. Best puzzles in the Aveyond games.  :D

There was a lot to do in this game. There were some side quests that were not stated in the journal so that kept me on my toes. I loved how I had to look careful at the water to find those puddles for lovely surprises. The Cheekis were fun to find. I guess the name was derived from the word 'Cheeky'? The store was a great way to earn extra money and the night mode was fun too.

I was thrown off by the new menu and found it rather tedious after a while having to click so many times just to change an equipment or to get to an item which happens to be at the bottom of the list. Also I must have accidentally sold off my map because half-way through the game I couldn't find it.  :wacko: Is there a possibility to make the map an unsalable item? It would have been great to be able to buy items faster like the old games instead of having to press the button 70 times. 

My stats: 

32 hours to complete (I left out the icy and fire islands because of the glitch)

My group was around levels 58-64

My favorite characters would have to be Hi'beru and Ingrid. I love their interaction. I couldn't get them to marry cause I couldn't find one ingredient which I guessed was on the icy island. I got the normal ending where no one was married.

Great job and I can't wait for Aveyond 5 but I'll wait patiently.  :)

Ps. Is Bolye a Pendragon? The ending hinted a possibility.

Well I guess I'm going to be the bad and the green.  The game is made very well and I can tell a lot of effort and love have been put in to it.  But, I am so completely disappointed.  I was expecting something more like the other Aveyond games and this just is so different.  It just doesn't seem to me an Amaranth game but more of a John Wizard game.  I like John Wizard games but again wasn't expecting here in this game. If it weren't for my own expectations I would have to say the game is absolutely wonderful.  But until my disappointment subsides I can't even finish the demo.  I'm sorry I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear but I have to be honest.  I've been playing the other Aveyond games getting revved up for this one and I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy that doesn't care for change or surprises.

I thought so too but play a little bit more and you'll see that it's an Amaranth/John Wizard collaboration. I noticed this when I got to Tor. 

Honestly I have to give this game a 500/5 because it was just that great.

Stats:

Time- 23 hours 40 minutes

Level-52 to 57

Favorite Character- Everyone

Ending Pairing: Boyle x Ingrid- They just complement each other so well

Story: I absolutely loved the story with Boyle's main concern of rescuing fang and everything escalating from there, no prophecies or chosen ones. Now thats not a bad thing it's just that the same formula is repeated over and over, it gets tiresome, but this game was like a breath of fresh air. It also had me doubling over in laughter and trying not to awake up my roommate at 3 in the morning which made me love it even more.

Characters: These are the most well developed characters I have ever played in a RPG. I seriously can imagine them in a room and how they would react to things, they show a wide range of emotions and even have their silly moments which just endeared them to me. I loved how all the characters balanced each other out with Ingrid keeping Boyle from messing up, Myst protecting innocent and naive Robin, Hi'beru being the kind but social awkward guy with his foot in his mouth, Rowen being the fun and intelligent one of the group, and Phye being the steady rock of the group. These are my favorite Aveyond character yet!

Art: The graphics and music were absolutely amazing because everything blended together perfectly to create the areas. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing an empty world and with this game I'm happy to say this never happened. The music fit every single moment perfectly and was wonderful. I also loved collecting Cheekis as this gave me a valid reason to explore everywhere than just my urge to find everything.

Battles: I liked how it was at a faster pace which made it more immersive and how everyone had their own fighting style.

Other things I loved: How you rewarded exploration and had so many side quest which I did all of, even the one not written down in the journal. The Ending omg *Burst out laughing* and the implications it had.  

Nitpicks: The movement was a tad on the slow side, had some lag and a couple of glitches    

Oh my Goodness, that was FANTABULOUS!

I'll get some of my peeves away: Some areas lag a bit (e.g. Dragon Wasteland, Shadow Isles) probably because my laptop sucks :giggles: ... and forgetting about Rowen being a sword singer (I wish there was a quest regarding Briar Woods that I could have actually noticed sword singing. It was very late when I realized it :(. ) ... and Hi'Beru's other books not really being beneficial? Outside of that, it's GREAT.

It probably had the BEST Aveyond-shattering moments ever... and some of the most backwoods techniques in battle BECAUSE It's the HARDEST Aveyond Fight-Wise yet. This is like the first Aveyond I've lost money, I've been needing Cassia Leaves so hard, I can't stock up on restoratives, I needed to be liberal with my items. I couldn't even buy those cute cheekis! ;___;

I love the CHALLENGE, and I love how their fighting styles really changed the game in a good way. Before, I can just casually kill these and that, because I have a really high level, but here... wow. I got kind of curbstomped.

Some of my favorite strategies include:

- Hiberu + Myst Soothe-Restore galore <3

- Rowen + Hiberu in Dream Realm where I spent all my time in that Riley dream sequence just using Rowen's GADGETS to ~STEAL~ money because I am running REALLY REALLY LOW, and I made like 5000. I just kept on restoring Hi'Beru, and Rowen kept stealing... and it doesn't end until everything's danger bombed <3. At least I kinda survived there.

- Ingrid's late game coven Curse of Life / Curse of Death <3. I'm so happy Curse of Life is so effective at last, even during the battle with Hercules <3.

Also, I love the fact that NO ONE was EVER LEFT OUT OF PARTY. I didn't have that sort of ~DREAM TEAM~ thing like

AV1: Rhen, Lars, Elini & Te'ijal

AV2: Iya, Ean, Rye & Nicolas

AV3-1: Mel, Edward, Stella, Te'ijal

AV3-2: Mel, Edward, Stella, Te'ijal

AV3-3: Mel, Edward, June, Yvette

AV3-4: Mel, Edward, Stella, Galahad.

Everyone had their time to shine, and it's something I really like, because I get attached to these characters, and is squealing to buy their new armor, find their suitor, build their own lives like <3.

How I used them in fights:

Boyle: (Start to End-Final Battle) Dark Triumph <3 Devastate, I didn't really use because it took up too much SPs. His Darkness thing is UNIQUE and so cool that he builds up SP through attacking <3. He is good.

Myst: (Early Game & Late Game-Final Battle) Myst's soothe is godly during the early game. I basically survived thanks to Myst's soothe, and it's like Boyle/Myst at first sounded like the ~simple life~ and it gets complicated for me as the party continues to grow. It's really hard because monsters get harder and harder as well. Myst fell off the mid game because others had more advantageous powers at that time... but once she got those legendary claws, wow... Myst shot back up again. I also needed another healer for Hi'Beru and it's Myst. She also had the swipe <3.

Ingrid: (Early Game-Mid Game & Final Battle) Ingrid has some really cool early/mid survivability because of high HP... but she kinda fell off because I did not yet join covens, and I found others much more capable... but her skills singlehandedly turned the tides with my final battles. Curse of Life <3 Lorelai <3.

Robin: (Early Game-Late Game/Sporadically) Robin is such an enigma in battle. Like he's so good to be teamed up, and I think Robin's synergy with the others really helped make much more variety in battles. I love him being a test subject, righteous raging, protecting and all those things! It really made sense to switch it up for different areas / for different number of enemies. I think, without that, I'd probably have a true dream team for the game. 

Hi'Beru: (Late Game-Final Battle) I really did not end up using Hi'Beru... I was more of Rowen during the mid game... but Hi'Beru's skills are too good to pass up -- like he's survivability. I needed Hi'Beru more than ever during the late game. It gets a bit too hard, and I just could not rely on Myst alone.

Rowen: (Mid Game-Late Game) I did not get to be a sword singer until the very late, but Rowen's gadgets make all the difference <3 It's so GOOD. I love that she had everything in her kit even if she's not even yet a sword singer. A party heal? Dun. A net STUN? Dun. A STEALING ACTUAL MONEY thingy? Dun. A danger bomb? Dun. It's so good <3 I didn't even need the sword singing... but I needed more reliable healing during the end so yeah :[

Phye: (Late Game) Phye's TARGET ALL <3. I love it. It's just I was with him through it all, but I needed more healers at the end, soooo he got kicked out of the party by the end. I loved his demon hunting though :[.

---

PARTY RANKING:

07. Hi'Beru: He's so kooky and he's so crazy, but I don't think he really had the *STAR* moment like every other got... but he's very relevant with his dream sequences and all, and being a responsible fighting member <3.

06. Phye: I looovvvveeed his redemption. It's just so crazy good and it's like a mini-quest on its own <3... though he did have the disadvantage of coming very very very late... like he's probably the only party member to be taken at Hour 20 xD but he did his job, and slaying demons left and right <3.

05. Myst: I have found SOMETHING sinister between Myst and Boyle. It's like Myst is the ~mistress~ who wants Boyle? It's like she had this ~dark side~ and I liked the fact that she has some sort of *attitude*. It even made me wonder if MYST CAN STEAL BOYLE D: D: D: from Ingrid. It seemed like a plausible idea at first, and I was feeling pretty sad for Ingrid or something. It's just every time there's a broomstick/potion-making, Myst and Boyle talks about things and they're left ~ALONE~ and Boyle tells ~STORIES~ which makes this little girl wraith FALL IN LOVE. It's probably my own imagination working but I LOVED IT ANYWAYS. I love Myst's DARK SIDE *devilhorns*

04. Ingrid: <33333 I love that we have a witch in our party, and she brings the LULZ and the humors so hard <3. I love the potion making. Her book <3 Her character <3 Her crazy sisters <3 Potion-making <3 Her love for Boyle <3. I ship them so hard, and I love just how devious she could get, and how she's keeping the party together <3. Standout: The Baby Dragon <333333333.

03. Rowen: Something about Rowen is just so sneaky and stealthy, like her backstory is already compelling <3. I love the fact that she snuck away, only to get discovered, and it really warmed my heart to see her and Riley. It's like there's this gleaming family thing in the backburner for her, which Rowen chose to take back and take to heart by the end <3. Add the fact that her gadgets ROCK <3.

02. Boyle: Boyle might be my favorite protagonist hero? (villain?). I'm with him. I got attached. I didn't even think it'd be possible to make a villain so likable... and that hero-dog relationship ;__;. It's just so good. I love Boyle & Fang's relationship and it's dynamic, and cute... and heartwarming. Through his highs and lows, it's just so good... to his failing luck at two-card flip <3. He's just a really good "human" protagonist -- like you can see through his wrongs, but you can also see his motivations <3. Also: His fear of paladins <3.

01. Robin: This is probably the most unexpected character of all-time. He didn't even get a MEET ROBIN :[[[ during the Aveyond 4 previews so I had low expectations... but Aveyond 4 happened... and I got this charming cute paladin wannabe :(( and he's just awesome. His sense of humor is so cute and I just want to grab him on my screen <3 and hug him so tight. He's MY FAVORITE AMARANTHIAN RPG CHARACTER OF ALL-TIME <3. I didn't expect him to be so cute, and the PALADIN TESTS...it's also heartwarming. It wasn't his destiny... but he tries... and he even got his sword <3 If that's not arc completion, I do not know what it is. Add the crazy NIGHT WATCH, and his clumsy antics <3. It's just so worthwhile. He strings everyone on this little "mist"... and shrouds them in mystery. He's an ^__^ presence all the time, and each of his facial reactions STRIKE RIGHT IN THE FEELS <3. Add his nan's values. I mean, I appreciate the fact that FAMILY plays an important role in this since it's really in our culture (in Asia) to be close. Rowen, Robin's traits, Myst finding his brother. Phye freeing his people. Ingrid's sisters. Boyle's pet as family. It's just so good... and to have a store too! <3.

If Robin transcends the RPG world and makes it here, I'd BUY FROM HIS STORE... probably... the Torture Device (*insert INGRID WICKED LAUGH*).

<3.

Great game, everything I love about Aveyond games was there: quality, plot, humour, length,Tejal and Galahad <3. My only issue is with the strategy guide. It was completely useless and uninformative. This was the second strategy I have purchased from Aveyond only to be disappointed about it's quality (another was Edolie). If Aveyond 5 ever comes out I know I won't be wasting my money on another one.

05. Myst: I have found SOMETHING sinister between Myst and Boyle. It's like Myst is the ~mistress~ who wants Boyle? It's like she had this ~dark side~ and I liked the fact that she has some sort of *attitude*. It even made me wonder if MYST CAN STEAL BOYLE D: D: D: from Ingrid. It seemed like a plausible idea at first, and I was feeling pretty sad for Ingrid or something. It's just every time there's a broomstick/potion-making, Myst and Boyle talks about things and they're left ~ALONE~ and Boyle tells ~STORIES~ which makes this little girl wraith FALL IN LOVE. It's probably my own imagination working but I LOVED IT ANYWAYS. I love Myst's DARK SIDE *devilhorns*

Glad to see I'm not the only one!!!

As for my review, I'd give it 4/5. Mainly because I kinda didn't like the art. It really could have been better. 

The music on the other hand was (and I quote Sid!) grandiose! Music (for me) is the most important thing in a video game lacking voice over. aveyond 4 blew my mind with its music. My favorite tracks were the ones playing in Ulrock, Delamere and Halaina. 

The story was really fun; I enjoyed every bit of it. And I loved how every party member had their own little endings and the consequences of the sidequest we played too!

My favorites were Myst and Hi'beru. Really loved it when Myst angered Boyle. And how Hi'beru always came to rescue when dreams were involved.. and that ending with the gladiator? Priceless!!!

I had Ingrid paired with Phye in my game just because I didn't like her with Boyle. Call me silly, but I think he and Myst have much more chemistry :P

Besides, Ingrid deserves a strong man and Phye was prefect.

Hinting that Boyle has some connections with the Pendragons was interested. I'd love to see this idea being expand on in the future. It really sets the bases for a new game *wink wink*

A side note regrading the curse; my theory is that Boyle did break it. Remember that moment when he was like "Fang is my true love"? this is a type of unconditional love. Because as far as I know, love extends beyond romance type. So, I think Ingrid knows that too but didn't tell Boyle else her plan will fail. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

Finally; this actually made me scream because I was one of the peeps who suggested a subtitle for Aveyond and this was my submission! It made me really, really,really,really,REALLY HAPPY to see it in-game. Thanks so much Aveyond Dev team!

I look forward to playing more games from you!

Edited: since I also got the strategy guide as well, I'd like to point out that it's not as helpful as I expected. I found myself surfing the forums more than reading the guide. 

For example, it only mentioned that Myst can get a bear amulet but doesn't mention how to get it and from where. Also that part about Rowen's sword singing skill was no written. I accidentally stumbled upon a topic on the forum discussing it. 

Okay this Aveyond is officially 5/5 - so much fun scenes :D

It lasted 34 hours - longest game not counting whole Aveyond 3 series.

Also I jokingly suggested "Bolye's Quest" as subtitle on forums ;^)

Ending was priceless.

Looks like game happened at least 200 or 300 years after Aveyond 3... or 500 because there was no mention of Edward and Stella.

Squirrels finally took over something :D

And looks like I sold Aveyond 2 weapon blueprints to them XD

I'm gonna have to say this game was half-baked...

I've been waiting for 5 years for this game, and when I heard it was entering testing, I was stoked. Finally, the home stretch! Soon, I will be able to play the game I've been waiting for for so long!

But it wasn't even that good.

I downloaded and played the demo first to make 100% certain I wanted to buy it, and, of course, I ended up buying it. The demo was a nice introduction to the game and a few of its mechanics.

At first, I was a little bit miffed at the walking, of all things. It felt weird and different from the other Aveyond games. I got used to it, though.

Another thing I didn't like was that there wasn't really a white mage in this game. Many times I had to resort to using items to heal, even though I was completely aware of Myst's Soothe ability, it was 1 person at a time with a little healing. It wasn't even that good. Hi'Beru also got a healing book but that wasn't even permanently there, and as soon as I got another book I kinda just left the healing book to sit around and gather dust.

There's also the fact that quite a few times I had no idea where to go because the quest giver said the location once and never again (and the Journal was just a bunch of uselessness to me). A prime example of this was when I had to find the End of the World. I knew I had to go there, but from where??? I had to resort to looking it up on the forums many times in order to figure it out. I didn't even notice the entrance to the Windy Valley area at first.

I felt like this game was more of an Aveyond spinoff game. Or even as a standalone game, it would have been fine. There's a few key aspects of the game missing that made it lose a bit of the Aveyond magic for me.

Firstly, Thais is completely missing entirely (and is only mentioned about once in the whole game). Thais was a key city in literally every Aveyond game thus far (including the separate books of AV3 and Ahriman's Prophecy), making it feel detached. There's also the matter of the name Pendragon being mentioned very few times in the game, whereas all the other Aveyonds had at least one Pendragon (or future Pendragon) in the main quest.

Unless you count Boyle,

, there are 0 Pendragons in this game. Additionally, Field of Wind (basically, the world map music in just about every Aveyond game thus far, as well) was missing, or if it was the world map music still, albeit remixed, unrecognizable.

The inclusion of Te'ijal and Galahad was a nice little hint to the other Aveyond games (seeing as they've been a part of every Aveyond game thus far, excluding AP), as well as the references to "Ye wimp! Who taught ye how to fight?" and "Dare thee skulk from thy fight?" (may be a little incorrect) from the other games.

The Hercules tie-in was nice as well, but very confusing. At the end of Darkthrop Prophecy, we saw that

he is a Darkling,

but this whole game it appeared that he was human. Misled, but human all the same.

And I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but I was a little confused, since I saw somewhere that the next Aveyond game would feature Uma and Nox as protagonists, but they're nowhere to be seen in this game. I mean, it's fine if you decided to scrap that or hold it off until a different game entirely, but meh.

The game also felt very, VERY short to me. I was expecting something long like Aveyond 1 and 2 combined, but it felt more like a chapter of Aveyond 3. I was also kind of expecting there to be another whole adventure after beating

Hercules

, because it fit so well (due to what happens after he is beaten, and what Ingrid reads about in the book, I was kinda hoping they would go back to the lands of Mel and Edward and all those fun people and do things over there as well).

A few of the things that I liked, now that I'm done ranting about what I didn't like...

The characters were all very fleshed out. They were unique and funny and pretty great. I liked how

Rowen had her own family before joining their quest, and how Boyle was secretly a Pendragon all along (almost like Mel hiding she's a Darkthrop, Boyle is hiding he's a Pendragon)

Many of the maps were very detailed and pretty.

None of the characters felt excluded from the main party.

The Myst and Robin ending (the one where they didn't get married, if there even is such an ending) was cute.

ROBIN!!! IS!!! MY FAVORITE!!! CHARACTER!!! He is a beautiful cinnamon roll, too sweet for this world, too pure.

The puzzle to get to the book for the ship was probably my favorite puzzle in the whole series.

All in all, I'd give this game a 2/5, or about a 4.5/10. There were some good parts, but there were a lot of bad parts.

@DuskArgentum

Purely in defense for AV4, and of my own volition, I would like to point out a few things with respect to what you said. Firstly, a key thing I've noticed about the quests is that you really need to pay attention to dialogue. To cite your example, after Hi'beru informs the party about the end of the world, I remember a hint tucked away in a dialogue about going to visit the mystic in Tor and asking him/her about the location of the End of the World. Once there, Rowen informs the party that they need to go through Windy Valley. As for the location on the world map itself, it was quite easy for me to notice so I never really had a problem with this quest. To be fair though, I think if you failed to notice the little road sticking out, it's not really the developers' fault (but that's just my opinion). It happens though. Another time I failed to pay attention to dialogue was when  Boyle says that Fang could easily find the whispering grub, I failed to take the hint, and had to ask for help. Personally I think it's a very nice concept to have implemented, in not making some things obvious, thereby calling upon the player to use their wits to solve something.

Secondly, and I don't mean to sound defensive when saying this, but I've seen a lot of people complaining about how long they had to wait for the game and I really don't understand the big deal about this. AV4 is just another side-quest in our life, albeit a very enjoyable one. I know it's a common occurrence that when some video game companies fail to release a new game every once in a while, they lose fans. Understandable. But really, making this an issue doesn't really seem like a very mature thing to do. Also, I don't think the game has been in development for five years. And I realize the game still has a few bugs that need addressing, but I was surprised to see some statements such as "Can we even trust amaranthgames anymore if they cannot meet the release dates they publicized?". Personally, I feel there has been a lot of pressure from some fans this time around. For argument's sake, try making a game yourself and see how closely you can estimate the release date.

Thirdly, if you can classify at least 25 hours of gameplay as "very, VERY short" all I have to say is this - all the best things come in small packages.

Fourthly, I do not see what's so horrible about a fresh cast, and a fresh world to explore. This is Aveyond 4, not a spinoff to Aveyond 1 or Aveyond 2 or Aveyond 3. It only makes sense to have Aveyond in the game because it's always been the pivot in the balance between good and evil. Why does it have to keep referencing back to the prequels in order to be even considered good? And no, nowhere was it ever mentioned by any of the developers that Uma and Nox would be in this game. That was the passionate fans wishing they would.

Lastly, yes, I agree that there are a few shortcomings to this game - it's not completely perfect. A lot of people have been having some lag issues (including me), there have been some bugs (both serious and minor) that ninja'd through beta and alpha testing, and there were a lot of times I felt nostalgia for the prequels. But I give kudos to Amanda and team for trying. And despite all the flaws and things I didn't like, I thought this game was awesome (will give a detailed review later). In closing, I would just like to say that I'm not forcing you to see things my way at all. I've just seen a lot of people complaining and I wanted to share my opinion about their opinions. I don't feel AV4 deserves to be compared to all the prequels; give it a chance. However, you're free to hold on to your point of view.

Let's just agree to disagree.

It seems I was mistaken as to Uma and Nox being included in this game. Oops. That's my fault.

As to the game being "at least 25 hours" long, I only got 18 hours out of it...

But this isn't for argument's sake.

Yes, I know there's a few points in my review that seem trivial, but I offered my honest opinion. If you can see the light in it, great! It was meant to be good. They put time and effort into making this game, and of course it isn't going to please everyone.

There's also the part where I mentioned the wait being long, but it wasn't really that long once they came to working on the game. A forum post made in January said that they were building the first level, and 11 months have passed since then. That's not too long, especially considering some games have been announced for several years and still won't come out for another *coughZeldaUcough*. But just because it's taking/took a long time to come out doesn't mean necessarily mean it's a bad game.

By most means, Aveyond 4 isn't a wholly bad game; I just didn't like/had a small problem with some/most of it. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that it wasn't what I expected.

It probably had the BEST Aveyond-shattering moments ever... and some of the most backwoods techniques in battle BECAUSE It's the HARDEST Aveyond Fight-Wise yet. This is like the first Aveyond I've lost money, I've been needing Cassia Leaves so hard, I can't stock up on restoratives, I needed to be liberal with my items. I couldn't even buy those cute cheekis! ;___;

I love the CHALLENGE, and I love how their fighting styles really changed the game in a good way. Before, I can just casually kill these and that, because I have a really high level, but here... wow. I got kind of curbstomped.

Yeah! Hardest Aveyond when it comes to battling! I shiver when I enter a new area because I'm not sure with my current weapon and level. Money is also scarce and weapons and armor are expensive (even though most of them are only 500 GP, which is easy to acquire in the previous av games). Never knew I needed healers in this game. I usually exclude healers from my active party (sorry Dameon, Nicolas and Stella LOL) because they can be substituted with items. But in this game, Myst and Hi'beru are helping me so much.

btw i'm playing normal mode. I like this Aveyond because it's fresh :) although I was expecting to see Thais though haha!

Yeah! Hardest Aveyond when it comes to battling! I shiver when I enter a new area because I'm not sure with my current weapon and level. Money is also scarce and weapons and armor are expensive (even though most of them are only 500 GP, which is easy to acquire in the previous av games). Never knew I needed healers in this game. I usually exclude healers from my active party (sorry Dameon, Nicolas and Stella LOL) because they can be substituted with items. But in this game, Myst and Hi'beru are helping me so much.

btw i'm playing normal mode. I like this Aveyond because it's fresh :) although I was expecting to see Thais though haha!

I actually think this is one of the easiest games battle-wise (at least for me). So far I have only lost once or twice (in the werebear fight) and I think I'm towards the end of the game. I've never got the ''shivering'' feeling that was so familiar to me in AV1. The items you find by exploring are very helpful and I always sell my previous gear for the better ones I come across at shops. I guess goodies aren't even needed (don't know about later though). I'm planning to post a detailed comment when I finish.

I've purchased one. You guys have really done a very good job. At the beginning, I think you are trying to make it much more like a movie that almost made me forget playing. This series have changed a lot, which is definately a bold move. However, the stories, are made much more imaginative and at the same time more realistic, sort of time have changed, so does the game anyway. I'm now trying to pace myself so that the game won't be walked through very quickly. Love it, just wondering where should I get the following updates and goodies if there is any, and the methods to install it. 

Long time player - first time poster  ;)

I've really enjoyed the Aveyond universe. I must admit that Ean's Quest is still my favorite... in fact... I may play it again since it's been a long while  :D

Nonetheless, this was a pretty good game. I played without the strategy guide to force myself to work the problems by myself but will admit that I did use the forum when I got really really stuck which happened a few times and glad it did because if it wasn't for that I may have played non-stop  :o

It took me about 32 hours to play and I missed one of the Blood of the Ancients so I didn't finish that task. I'm pretty sure there is something else I forgot too but can't remember right now. I also realized too late (my bad) about the attraction points so I don't know what other endings I could have created - great! an excuse to play again  :P

Robin was my favorite character - so cute and willing to help and didn't let the negative comments bring him down. Really enjoyed his development and how he pretty much got along with everyone. 

I won the final battle with Boyle, Myst, Phye, and Robin. It was not easy but somehow it got done.  :lol:

Final Veredict: 4/5 (spoilers ahead) - 

Overall a very well thought-out game with a fun storyline and plenty of things to do.

- I HATED THE BEARS!  :angry: IMO they were unnecessarily hard and for nothing (where's the beef?)

- I LOVED THE RIDDLE STONE - what a nifty idea to make it possible for anyone to find the goodie caves! I found one cave by mistake and finally figured out Riddle 6 way late in the game so I probably missed a few caves (I only got three).

- WAS THERE A WORLD MAP? If so I missed it and that made playing really really hard... I kept forgetting the names of places or in which direction they were. I hope it was my mistake, if not... please never make such a complicated world and no map. 

- INSTRUCTIONS COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER - of course everything makes sense to the people making the game but some puzzles were crazy complicated. It took me forever to get how the swords worked in the dungeon - actually, almost everything about the dungeon was pretty hard; unnecessarily so IMO. 

- I LOVES THE RIDDLES

I was really hoping for a dragon  :D  :D  :D

Keep'em coming!