Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
shaz

Chat about GoN *** SPOILER HEAVEN *** (please do not ask for help with the game here)

shaz wrote:

You actually have to finish the game without having Edward marry Mel, Stella or Lydia, to know what the answer is to Aisling's puzzle :)

Actually, I managed to figure it out when I went to the Orc kingdom and the princess talked about getting married in Thais where she'll make the men there stronger.

Well, where to start?

So many twists (more than an episode of "Law and Order!").

I like that I was right about Hercules. I thought during LoT, just hearing about him, that he was going to turn out to be a character like Gilderoy Lockhart in Harry Potter! :lol:

I think Hercules and Lydiot -- er, Lydia are made for each other. (Gee, do you get the idea I don't care for Lydia?) She and Hercules do have a certain trait in common, it seems. What I do like is wondering how she is going to turn out. She may show glimmerings of becoming less of a pain in the anatomy!

I, too, like the compass. I like the eggs even more this time around!

And I really like the insane amounts of gold you can accumulate by slaying certain creatures in certain areas! Wow!

And bless you, Amaranth, you can design mazes that I actually LIKE! The Mount Drake Caves and the Mirror Caverns and all are basically mazes, but yours are so engaging and so cunningly done, that I actually LIKE being in them. (Usually, in games, I can't stand mazes -- like the ones in Diablo II, the Flayer Dungeon, in the jungle.) I got totally LOST in the Mount Drake Caves, and thought it was big fun.

The chapter was worth waiting for. It's fun, it's engaging, it's visually stunning. I have to say that you fooled me, though. I don't have speakers on my computer, so I use my Bose noise-canceling headphones when I play games. Playing GoN tonight, as Mel and Co. were running around the desert, I kept hearing a fly buzzing around. It got annoying, and I was about to yell to my husband. See, we live in Florida, out in the country, and in the summer we have a time with flies and I thought another one of the doggone things had gotten in the house. Then I realized that the fly I was hearing is on the soundtrack for the game!

:laughing:

Amaranth: a triumph! Well done! And thank you.

Thanks for all the help! I really liked this game. I really like the compass and the eggs...they came in really handy, especially at the end. You just have to remember to keep going back to Moo hatchery to pick them up so you have a lot for the finale. Can't wait for the next chapter. I'm sure I will play again and again and again until then.

Excellent news! Remember - you have three other endings to see now. That should keep you busy for ... at least two or three days. After that, you'll have to find some other entertainment for the next few months ;)

I finished the game a little bit ago, and I have a few questions and comments.

Since Stella dies, Edward can't marry her even if he proposed, correct? (Also, I was so upset when she died because I was hoping to see her in future games.) Does she not die if he proposes to her?

The compass was awesome. However, I realized that if you teleport to your ship after leaving the shelter cave, you cannot visit Aveyond anymore (Edward stops you from walking towards it and says that the party needs to step on the portal, west of the cave). I needed Edward to propose to Mel at that save, because she is kidnapped soon after that. I teleported and, now, it seems I will have to start from the beginning to see the endings gained from proposing to the girls. >_< It would have really helped to have the option of exploring some more, before ending the game.

The eggs were incredibly useful. I was quite pleased with this feature.

Tei'jal and Galahad are humans, now?! Wow! I wonder how that storyline is going to pan out.

This game had the best interations amongst party members.

The ending practically snuck up on me. My expectation was that we would have to make the trip back to Thais ourselves, which would allow for the final quest completions and proposals. When I discovered that he had to marry Belf, after I hunted every attraction point and gave each to Mel, I was a little unnerved.

aislingyngaio: edited to hide spoilers. While this topic is marked spoiler heaven, there are some things that shouldn't be said out loud yet ;)

I'll check that comment about teleporting to the ship. You shouldn't be able to teleport until after you see the Oracle at that point. I thought we fixed this during testing.

Well, finally finished the final battle - thank goodness for the spider eggs!

Where to start? I really enjoyed the character development in this one. It's the greatest character development in the Aveyond games thus far, and I loved it. The back-and-forth between Mel, Lydia and Edward was a giggle for me, and I was really happy to see more of the development of Te'ijal and Galahad.

The maps and dungeons were very fun. I liked the layouts, and I think they were the most detailed of the maps and dungeons in any Aveyond game thus far. The map for Thais was my favorite city - it was more expansive than any AV city so far, and I liked the different city levels. The variety between the cities was more distinctive in this game, and I enjoyed going through them all. My favorite dungeons were Mount Drake and Whispering Woods (I think that's what it was called - the map on the way to Faiara?). I had a great time exploring them all! :)

I really enjoyed the use of color in this game - it really helped to set the mood for each location. The colors in Tar Vedron were jungle-like and exotic; the colors in Naylith were very vibrant and jewel-like (befitting of butterfly people!), the colors in the Orc locations were very bleak - the list goes on and on.

The music, as always, was excellent. Aaron really outdid himself this time. I loved all of it, really. Great job! :)

Then...I came to the end of the game. I hate to say it, but I found the ending to be rather anticlimactic...it was kind of disappointing. The overall gameplay was so much fun, but the final battle was nearly impossible, IMO, if you didn't have spider eggs to use. When you finish the battle everything's carried out with such speed that I feel it somewhat cheapens what you had to go through to get to the ending. The ending sapped fun from the overall game, IMO. I hate to sound like a killjoy here, but that's how I felt. I'm sorry. :( :( :(

I also wish that the marriage thing was a sidequest rather than a major objective. Personally, I'm not obsessive about pairing up or marrying off characters, and I liked how the marriage options in the previous games were just that - optional. I didn't like being forced to marry off Edward in this one. I know a lot of people like it, but I also know a lot of people who don't. Just my two cents on that particular topic.

I hope a few more folks that are new to the Aveyond series come in and post about their opinions on the game...we know what us long-time fans think, but I'd really like to know the opinion of the newer fans.

Thanks, aisling! I will have to start a new game to see that ending, but I can't wait to find out what it is. :)

Shaz, I was really surprised that it allowed me to teleport. The game had been pretty much flawless in terms of bugs and glitches.

Thanks, aisling! I will have to start a new game to see that ending, but I can't wait to find out what it is. :)

Shaz, I was really surprised that it allowed me to teleport. The game had been pretty much flawless in terms of bugs and glitches.

Hii, *first post*

I just finished my Aveyond marathon, so now I can finally pickup my social life XD (My boyfriend is happy). I figured I'd commemorate and rant, so here we go.

I mostly enjoyed the game, but there were a few things that bugged me:

1.) Perhaps it was the way I played the game, but Edward was totally useless. I was excited when I found out he was equipped with the legendary EXCALIBUR, but his attack was totally weak.

2.) I think the game was a bit unforgiving with the romance points, in that you have to collect all of them, and if you accidentally try to buy a poem from an orc or skip over one person in a town then Ed has to marry the orc. Not that I am totally complaining...I probably prefer it that way, because I disliked him by the end of the game >___>

...Edward hating aside...

3.) Harburg and Thais were very hard to get through because of their design. I kept dreading visiting either of them because it was a maze just to go to item shops with all of the walls separating everything.

Despite my few complaints, as a person who played all of the Aveyond games I think these two games are the best of the series.

1. The dialogue was witty and fun, and the character development was great too. I hate to bash on the previous Aveyond games, but I didn't really feel connected to the characters in 1 or 2, they just came off as generic. In Aveyond 3, Mel is very memorable, and the chemistry between her fellow comrades is memorable as well.

2.)I also loved exploring the different areas, because of the beautiful colour schemes. I think my favourite place to go to was the fairy kingdom.

3.) OMG the music was sooo epic. Even my biased boyfriend who doesn't like Aveyond had to admit the music was awesome (he even told me to turn it up a few times when he was playing his manly games XD).

So yes, I really love three, and I can't wait for the next games to come out.

Gypsy, only Mel requires 7 attraction points (because she's a hard-to-get ). The other girls are perfectly happy with less.

Ohhh, that makes sense. Mel is a coy one XD. I couldn't stand him being with Lyida though.

Excalibur can be quite powerful when equipped with the right gem. Have you got the most powerful one?

In the first game I think I equipped it with a blue gem (sapphire I think) and it made it an ice sword, but I didn't find it very strong.

In the second game I tried pearls and emeralds but they didn't change it. I will try to replay it once the guide is up and see if its any better. What is the most powerful one?

Whoa... I just finished the game. That final battle took me ages. I'm still more than a little stunned at the ending!

There were a LOT of shockers in here for sure, and I loved it! There's something wonderful about being so surprised about something, you laugh. Being a big Te'ijal/Galahad fan, I'm still reeling... but... I think I liked it! I actually began to suspect what would happen during the umpteenth time I heard that final confrontation before the last battle. Boy, I had trouble with that. But even when I suspected... I didn't believe it! "Nah... that wouldn't REALLY happen... surely..." And then... GASP! It did.

Wowsers. I have to say that I am a huge fan of the story, the character interaction... more so even than the game play itself. It's really so captivating. The characters are so interesting, and the interactions were even better in this one than in the others, which were also good.

I'll have to play again, to try to get Edward married off to someone a little less... feisty. Or... possibly more feisty.:P By the time I got to Naylith, I had already lost Mel! Oopsers.

Okay... now... let's see if I can't make this all spoilery hidden.

Very saddened about Stella... and now I'm wondering what would have happened if Edward had chosen her. I suppose that would have been extra sad.

But the biggest shocker of all... turning the vampires human! I'm loving it... especially Galahad's "dear wife". He's going to be impossible to live with after that. :P I almost feel sorry for Te'i... but not really! She drove him... batty... for centuries after all. He won't have so much time to do it to her! I suppose that's the only thing that makes me sad about that. Now that they're mortal... I don't suppose I'll get to cheer them on in future games and cameos. Ah, well. All good things must come to an end, and I'm pretty sure they'll be back during the rest of the Orbs series. Unless of course someone has an unfortunate accident with the Orb of death...:P

Oh yeah... and... purple eyes! Whoa! And her general misery! "NOOOOO!" :lol: That'll be fun to watch in the next game. Don't worry, Te'i... your stalwart hubby'll look out for you.

"Dear wife" Yay!! He DOES love her. Whoo hoo!

Okay, I'm done. Mostly. One last rah rah rah.

Rah! Rah! Rah! :party:

That was a much less organised rave than I meant it to be.

In the final battle, I was in despair because three of the four got killed. However, Galahad defeated Gyendal and Stella singlehandedly! :dual:

How?

Buy weevil spells! Give Stella weevils; they drain her dramatically. She does keep pumping out healing spells, but eventually she can't keep up. Have plenty of elixir and have your surviving hero(es) take it often so they don't get killed by Gyendal's powerful spell. And keep hammering at Gyendal. Keep the weevils going on Stella, throw spider eggs every once in a while, and just keep hitting. It's a long slog, but it is possible to beat them even with just one surviving character. Now I want to see a mano a mano between Galahad and that wuss Hercules, to shut Herc up once and for all.

I guess I didn't accumulate enough attraction points for a mate for Edward, and was LOL when he ended up having to marry that creature! (The Orc, not Lydia . . .) :laughing:

I can see a future chapter: Edward's revenge. Edward forms an alliance with Lord Wallace and Gyendal to exact vengeance on his parents, who made him marry an Orc . . . :evil:

Finally, I found Lydia's magic pretty useless. She couldn't make 1/10 the hits that the others can (but they were using goodie-cave weapons and armor in this particular set). Even though she had all the spells (from the goodie-cave spellbook).

No, it was her spells that weren't doing 1/10 the damage the others were doing with their weapons (but, again, these were goodie-cave weapons, so we have to factor that in). I didn't try melee with Lydia, but Stella really kicked booty with her Staff of Light.

Is one of the strategies NOT to buy flowers or poems until all the ladies are in the party (that is, until after Lydia joins) and then go back to Gheladon and Stormbend and all and collect the points? Seems like that could make the outcome different, for sure!

I have other saved games with other parameters all waiting -- some without the goodie-cave weapons and even one that I finished in expert mode. THAT is going to be really tough in GoN. The monsters in GoN KICK!