Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
HisChildBeth

Something to think about for Chapter 4

As you are developing Chapter 4, and hopefully more Chapters in the future, you might want to take a look at changing the structure of experience, health, mana, and gold. I get so many experience points, and so much gold, for killing just about anything that i don't even give experience, gold or mana a second thought. There is always enough. I watch health a bit more because it is such a nusance to die, eat a leaf, and and take the time to suck down bread, milk or whatever.

The other thing that might be good is to be able to recoup lost points and mana as you play the game. The longer you play, the more you battle, the more you win or loose, etc. could all be programmed in to make that portion of the game a bit more exciting and dynamic. I've seen this in other RPG games, but they are higher priced so it may be out of the quesiton for this series.

What about ways to earn gold, mana, experience etc. by the acts of kindness or help you give to your village, king, your neighbor, etc. rather than having to kill something all the time. Yes, this is a worn torn society we live in, but there all kinds of positive things that can be done in the game.

What about the man in the village who makes bricks and sells them to the king to fix the road or build a castle? What about a neighbor who takes care of a friends' kids while her friend gets her garden planted? Those are just a couple of ideas that popped into my mind, and I bet a good development team could come up with all kinds of interesting ideas.

What would be really worth a Nobel prize is if you could make people's physical pain go away as they play. Yes, I'm a dreamer :-)

I really like playing Aveyond! it gives me enough of a challenge to keep me interested, but without drenching me in blood and violence and a plot so deep you have to have to takes notes to keep up.

God Bless Everybody!

Beth

Have you tried Ahriman's Prophecy? It's an older game that is the prequel to Aveyond. Some people don't like the old graphics, but I don't mind. It has one of my favorite quests ever in it, the Glass Key quest, which is much like what you describe above. To solve this major quest, you must travel all over the world and do good deeds.

Another one you might like is Dawn's Light, A Christmas Tale, which has no fighting at all. It and Ahriman's Prophecy are both free so no loss if you don't like them.

http://www.johnwizard.com/

Ahriman's Prophecy has its own discussion group here and the Christmas tale has one under "other games on Aramanthia"

Eternal Eden has a regenerating ring that you get at a certain level of the turtle hunt. It's not a free game but it is a really good one.

What level were you playing on? (curiously) I found in this chapter more so than the others that I never had enough gold to buy all my equipment properly in one go so would subsequently have to go back and hunt down many a monster.

@Beth: I was a big fan of the original Myst, and no combat at all in that one, just puzzles. I like the ideas you're presenting.

Edward needs to get friends and an army of followers together to go back to the mainland, and this would be a great way of him to do that. Some elements of a sim game added? Too many followers need to be kept fed, but will scare off opposition, too few means more battles and more damage? Enough of the Veldaran's support him, and maybe a peaceful resolution to the conflict as people surrender, but otherwise there's a war coming? The army would be non-player.

Veldarans have slavery, and I assume Mel and Edward need to get a ship from some pirates or something to get to Veldarah, so many opportunities for good deeds to make a difference.

I'm not convinced Mel is a character to instigate a good deed though, being a thief and a spy though she is getting better at moral outrage in this game.

I've been playing the latest games on easy, and I found the logistics are actually more challenging - as the monsters don't regenerate I can't just kill the same monster 20x to get the gold I need. It's more my speed.

Shaz-not sure if you're referring to my post or not but maybe it's just the cautious way I tend to play the games (meaning many a battle) but no, in the past I've never felt that I've ever really been lacking for gold. This chapter more than any of the others I was very conscious of the state of my gold as I seemed to need to fight a lot before having enough to buy what I needed. It could very well be a subtle change in the way I played given I started with testing vs. flat out playing.

good deeds can still be instigated by eddy manhandling mel into doing it. If Ulf/Stella are in, the trio can definitely 'sway' Mel to do the good thing.

Regarding Jayshe's comment, I also noticed myself fighting monsters for gold more in TLO than in the other Aveyond games.

But I think I noticed it more this time, because that was the only reason I went back to re-fight groups of monsters that weren't blocking my way. In previous games I fought monsters because I needed my characters to be stronger for the next set of monsters, and this required leveling up (leveling up a lot in the early games) and buying new equipment. In TLO, I found that buying new equipment as I came to each new area was sufficient; I didn't even use the level eggs. Also, in previous games, I fought monsters to level up so that the magic users would learn new spells, but magic doesn't work that way in TLO. That leaves gold as the only reason to go back and fight again.

Truth be told though, I was probably fighting for gold even less than in the previous games. One or two additional passes through the monsters bought me all the stuff I wanted. (This may have been because I was playing on the expert difficulty level, where almost all the monsters respawn.)

Kirroha, I'm not talking about cheating with goodies or starting Mel on a higher level than the recommended 30. I played fair. I think many of us just automatically assume that we need to level up before each new area, because that's what we've done in so many other games. It turns out we don't have to do that in TLO. After you've got new equipment, just move on to the next area, and you'll be fine.

I suspect this is by design, and that the developers didn't want players to spend hours fighting the same group of monsters again and again. That's certainly not the most exciting part of any RPG. If that's the case, then in TLO they succeeded in making the experience earned per monster just right.

This design just happens to make me more conscious of fighting for gold than I have been in previous games.

@sir tact

well if you look at it from the advantages perspective: Continuing save files have more advantages than pure TLO so in this way its not playing fair or equal.

A new TLO person starts at lvl 30, can get no extra pets besides the 2 new ones, and has to walk to each MME from GON to activate them. They also have to finish the catacomb switch puzzle in order to open the door to the vampire town.

A continuing save file starts at whatever level you finished on GON, has 3 extra possible pets, and can teleport immediately to each GON location if they activated them. Catacombs should already been finished so you can go directly to the vampire town without doing the puzzle again. Some might consider this an advantage, but you will have multiple possible beginnings to the game while a new TLO only has one.

By MME from GON I mean Stormbend, Witchwood, Moo Hatchery, Thais, and Harburg.

Yea, it is an advantage, but I think calling it "unfair" is a little wrong, imo... It all depends on what you did in the last chapter(s), if u continue you get MME, which you've earned, pets, whom you've also earned and lvl's, whom again you've already earned... Advantage; sure, playing not fair; not so sure... ;)

as i said, it's a perspective type of thing: One could view it as unfair since continuing files will have advantages over TLO. Some stuff exclusive for GON people.

Also a point to ponder: TLO is set for a beginning player of level 30. A GON player is most likely going to be higher level than lvl 30. So a GON player is essentially playing the game with a level goodie automatically applied. Fairness would be to force the GON to not have his lvls as he's going to have it easier than a TLO player.

Well, GON players can choose to start with level 30, which I did. But I think that there SHOULD be some advantage for having bought all three games vs. just starting with TLO; plus the advantage of knowing the story better! And it isn't too unfair since previous game save files are available.

GON people who play the game at lvl 30 are playing as TLO was meant to. GON people who play with a lvl 75 character on the other hand is pretty much playing with a level goodie on which is cheating in a way.

Personally, I care little for the advantages (like the built in level cheat) as I goodie up on my runs now having already beat it legit (without cheats/goodies/continue saves) on easy and hard mode. *shrugs*

my GoN game ended with my characters all around level 27. Keeping my levels into TLO would be a downgrade. But I do like having my spider eggs and MME turned on :)