Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
pinkjaguar12

Aveyond Characters *SOME SPOILERS*

I was replaying the Aveyond games, and I was wondering. Compared to Aveyond 2 and the Aveyond 3 series, or just by itself, does anyone think that the characters in Aveyond 1 (not including Rhen or Lars) were really lame?

wait, let me define lame. I mean, they didn't have a good....character. I read a lot. In all of the good books out there, the characters are the types of people who leap off the page and let you feel their emotions. They grip you. You laugh when they laugh. You cry when they cry. It's almost the same way in the Aveyond games! Does anyone else agree with me that these characters in Aveyond 1 were WEAK?

I my opinion, Aveyond 1 had a more gripping story than anything else. I mean, the plot is very confusing at first. And then once you get the hang of it, it is still very complex. But the characters...... yeah, so Pirate John is a sweet-talker who rides dragons. And Galahad is a devoted loyalty nutcase who gets tricked by a vampress (okay, the Aveyond 3 Galahad had more character than this one!). And Mad Marge is a b**** who has no other role in the game other than being crabby, nasty, and a good melee attack.

Please post what you think about this.

NOTE: I do not mean to target ANY of the game creators when I say this. The games are amazing. Keep up the good work!

I have to say that's true - in fact, Rhen has the least character out of them all, but perhaps only done so that you can actually step into her shoes instead of seeing her as 'just a character'.

AV2 I found was the weakest in characterization. None of them in AV2 actually made me feel like I should care if they died or not. Ean/Iya/Ryu= meh meh meh. The only character I found mildly interesting was that pirate chick with one eye and warlock with witch fangirls.

That's a lot worst than AV1 where I liked quite a bit of the characters. I'd been sad if Teijal/Pirate John/Elini were offed. Didn't care much if dameon/rhen/lars were killed though. Would have been gloating if Mad Marge died. Galahad= vamped= mehehehehehe

So what am I saying? It's a hit and miss with pretty much every AP/AV game. Some characters I go absolutely fanboy over just from one game (*points to siggie*) and others like Rhen are still quite a blank slate.

AP: everyone's one sided

AV1: already spoken for

AV2: the whole cast

AV3: everyone except the mains and people I said before (stella, mel, eddy)

Yvette= hercules fangirl with shapeshifting abilities and a quirky sense of humor

June= whiny girl trying to get her certificate

spook=arrogant whiny brat

I thought the characters in AV1 were wonderful. That was one of the main reasons why I totally fell in love with the game - the characters completely grabbed me. Rhen was so strong, Lars had a good arc, Elini was amazing with her other-culture ideas, Te'ijal was nothing short of AWESOME, Galahad was hilarious, and hey, I'm even one of maybe ten people who actually likes shifty Dameon. The only characters that didn't "grab me" were Pirate John and Mad Marge, but that probably has a lot to do with them coming into the game so late.

AV2 was a big disappointment in its character development. Most of the characters had very little personality. There was Ean the nice guy, Rya the other nice guy, and Iya the nice girl (even though they tried to give her a good arc, I didn't find her "I'm not a singer" problem all that interesting). Nicholas was more annoying than funny. Gavin *could* have been an interesting character, but he just didn't grab me (ditto Emma). The only one I found really interesting was Ava One-Eye, and even she's no Rhen, Elini, or Te'ijal.

Now in AV3, character development is back. Mel, Edward, and Stella are all well-rounded characters, plus they gave Galahad an arc and of course, awesome, awesome Te'ijal is back with more awesomeness.

I don't know about that... I just play... Until I was gripped with a sudden liking for the daevas and cared less and less about the heroes. And then I promptly stopped caring about the subsequent Aveyonds.

@daeva: lol, nothing matching up to the daevas in your head?

(I sometimes feel that way about rhen/teijal now >.> I mean, AV's lack of characterization in general is a big plus to any fanficcers since we can make up anything we choose and it could still be in character >:D)

@KTC: I was so bored playing AV2 that I kinda gave up on the subsequent ones, no matter what people say about how much fun AV3 is. And then again, I'm having too much fun poking around the daevas in my head, as you can probably see from my current set, that I can't bring it upon myself to care about anything else.

I liked Ean and Iya actually. I liked Tei'jal in every Aveyond she's been in. Even her letters in TLO about becoming human.

Spook of course is an empty character because he is a fake, so that fits the story better actually.

I haven't had much fondness for Edward except at the very first where he encouraged the school to take Mel in; and now finally where he seems to have some backbone in wanting his kingdom back.

I remember in Rhen's Quest ending up with my battle party being all girls as the most effective, and becoming rather attached to them by the end of the game.

I remember in Rhen's Quest ending up with my battle party being all girls as the most effective

You're absolutely right. Te'ijal, Elini, and Rhen caused more damage on enemies than the guys. Dunno about Mad Marge because we actually have to PAY her to join the party and I hate that.

@daeva/belinda: i agree, rhen/teijal/elini kicked the guys butts. But I never found Mad Marge that useful. She hits less than pirate john and has no special abilities last I check. Pirate John was better imo for pure attack power.

Pinkjaguar - I don't know if you've seen the discussions here when AV2 was out, but it was interesting how a lot of people were finding that AV2 heroes were lacking in personality compared to AV1.

In AV2 I really liked Ava, though she didn't have so much talk and such in the story compared to the main characters. But the others seemed so boring to me, in spite of my loving elves so much.

In both AV1 and AV3 [i haven't played TLO though] I find the characters more interesting and diverse in personalities. Rhen is just "the nice girl" but I still liked her from the beginning because her faceset [the non anime kind] was so beautiful and then I really liked the sword singer occupation and the different swords and skills. The other characters in Av1 and their interactions were also always fun to watch. Of course Tei'jal was awesome! In Av3 I didn't specifically relate to or liked any of the chars, but they and their interactions were still interesting and fun.

I think AV3 looks like a film more than a interactive PC game. In fact I like the story of Magic Orb. Mel is the most interesting and unique main role amongst three Aveyond(compare with Rhen and Ean)

@daeva:

mad marge: oo ok.

Dameon: yeah, I did the same because I hated leveling him up as he was useless to me. Was facepalming in the later builds because one was required to get him early DX

mel's interesting as in she has more screen time than all the rest lol. Ean's a cardboard in terms of personality imo. Rhen got some nice scenes but doesn't get enough screen time.

in av2 i only liked rye(a lot)In my opinion,he was the best character of av2.and emma too.It was a fantastic pair.i didn't liked ava a lot.She didn't even used to talk and thats why her past and personality was always hidden.

In av1 i remember i downloaded it from yahoo games at that time and it had a glitch i think.I don't remember a lot but when i got sun potion she dissapeared from her house.Thus i wasn't able to recruit her and the sun potion and i didn't know now what to with sun potion.It rid my offer of getting diamonds.

I personally think that AV1 had the best characters in whole AV serie so far(not including AP cause AP it's just awesome).

AV2 was like hmm the AV made for kids. The story and the colors in the game looked cute and the characters too, it was like a cartoon or something XD I personally loved Emma's and Rye's interactions but found Ean and Iya boring like hell.

AV3.... don't get me wrong. I love the music, the graphics are wonderful, the story is darker than previous AV games..but hmm the characters, I don't like them in a bit :P Mel? What's so interesting about her? Seriously she makes me sleep and not to mention the others. Yes she has some funny and wicked lines but hmm that's not the only thing that a character should have.

AV1 grow on me with it's characters but not AV2 and especially not AV3. Sometimes I get the feeling that I play AV chapters just because it's AV game..which it doesn't mean that the game is bad of course. I love AV games but there's something missing in AV3 and that is character with CHARACTER ;)

I've been told that Mel just makes you want to sock her in the face, but that could be that person's bias... I think I stopped caring about the subsequent AVs because I like the daevas too much that I don't want to care about the games that don't have them in it :P Even though their personalities are 100% my imagination. After all, nobody else said anything that isn't "IMMA KILL JOO ROAR!!!" or "AHRIMAN ROOLZ!!" besides Agas. I just LOVE that scene where he was taunting Dameon and goes all "I see what you did thar, mwahahahaha" :evil: Indra's "fortune-telling" with Rhen's hair don't really count because, well... it reveals no personality.

width=27http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/sha-bo_de_LC/HelmetlessAgas.png[/img]Because you know we're awesome like that. We actually killed her interest in EVERYTHING ELSE!!! Now she's just focused on us!!! width=50http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/sha-bo_de_LC/pineappletardplz.gif[/img]

How do you like my custom-made helmetless Agas? (shameless narcissistic boasting)

depends on how you wanna view mel. Considering she is 19, she's acting pretty much as a teenager: rash, impulsive, easy to anger, etc. Doesn't have the emotional/mental capacity for much yet. So she's realistic-ish. Doesn't necessarily mean she's likable lol. (and yes, sometimes I facepalm when it comes to some of her behavior. Other times I find her interesting. Not as interesting as teijal cuz I be a major fanboy + fanficcer of her.)

also your custom: it looks like its has either cat ears or a bow lol

ap was reallly awesome but devin and Talia(i am talking about talia because i made them pair though devin X alicia was a more better pair) pair were quite matching to ean and iya pair but the comments of AP were a lot good than av2 thats why the personality wasn't that bad.In av2 the comments didn't touched your heart.But rye and emma pair(in my opinion)is the best pair of av series other than ap pair.

@moon princess:lol i thought that you liked spook a lot.