Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
pinkjaguar12

Aveyond Characters *SOME SPOILERS*

@theadept: I don't find mel's "I hate rich people" mentality that bad. Looking from her perspective as a thief used to hanging with the non-rich ppl, its realistic she's not going to have a pretty picture of rich people who seem to have everything.

Than again, it might seem normal to me because my family are bias against rich people and have frequent rant sessions insulting rich people.

I like Mel for her flaws! Including her selfishness and judgmental-ness. It's not as if she hasn't been maturing and expanding as the games progressed.

She's not selfless like Rhen.

She's not Ean, either, who's not exactly selfless (he whines occasionally) but does seem sometimes to... lack a spine? I dunno. I forgot most of the characters from Av2 because they all bored me.

There's something refreshing about a main character who doesn't automatically leap at the prospect of a side quest, like most RPG characters- you lost your wallet? let me find it and return it to you! your daughters keep disappearing? oh, that's a problem, let me solve that for you (hello, rhen darling, you're kinda supposed to be SAVING THE WORLD. I love you anyway but seriously 9_9)

Simultaneously it's not like she's just completely amoral... she has her priorities, she also has her principles...

As for the inverted-snob business. Yeah, okay, I found that... a bit exaggerated and cliche. So I had to make up a rather terrible backstory to justify it. By the time I was done I rather understood exactly why mel felt that way, pity it was all in my head, not canon (she escaped from an orphanage- inherently implying something that needed escaping from. I just made the orphanage be run by really, really cruel nobles, tada.)

As for the facesets- okay, there I totally disagree. I adored the facesets in 3-1, 3-2 (the new ones in 3-3 disappointed me by not being similar to 3-1, 3-2). For example I think this was the best Te'ijal, art-wise, of the three faces we've had of her so far.

@blurble:

I disagree about mel's maturing. Imo, she hasn't changed that much besides not being a thief anymore. She's still an impulsive teenager with a temper, which given her age, is expected I suppose.

The only one who's worst at the maturing is Edward. Seriously, running off to 'save' Mel and leaving your kingdom just like that? What if a warlord attacked while you were away playing hero? Even though I dislike the way she did it, Lydia did show that Edward hasn't grown up at all.

That’s why they totally complement each other lol

Mel = raging, out of control thief.

Edward = rich, stuck up, dumb-at- times prince.

But they both have one thing in common – immaturity :P

Lydia = egoistic, spoilt, Edward-obsessed lady.

Heh, Maybe I should actually play the full game first. I only got the 1-hour free trial and wasn't impressed by what I saw thus far. Maybe I would like it better. I am a very biased person after all.

Yeah, Lydia was pretty explicit about not giving a rat's tail about Edward. Remember the part where she banished him from the kingdom?

Maturing isn't something that happens all at once. Obviously Mel and Edward didn't just magically turn into extremely mature responsible people. They're taking baby steps. But I disagree about them not maturing at all. There's progress that they make.

Edward might have been a bit of an idiot leaving the kingdom in Lydia's hands. And that is mostly because he never really appreciated what being prince meant. He just saw it as a burden, he was too immature to accept the responsibility. But then that more than anything else is proof that he grew because his perspective on that is CLEARLY different by the end of the game. He shows a much more explicit change in attitude than Mel does.

Mel is much, much more reluctant to open herself up to people. But you can tell that she's slowly changing that too, starting with Edward and working from there. It has its ups and downs- after the beginning of TLO (and in my opinion as a response to her grief and disappointment over this even if she doesn't openly acknowledge it) she has a major regression, retreating back almost to her early LOT-self. Again, though, I think that's a response to what happened. Even thought when describing it she claims not to have cared I do not think Mel is honest about her feelings at all in fact I think this is explicit in canon.

In any case I suspect TDP is going to be the big moment for her. (As a shipper, though, I desperately hope her "moment of self-sacrifice" does not involve her giving up being with Ed. That would deeply, deeply tick me off.)

Wow, I disagree with practically every aspect of your analysis of the characters.

Mel was a thief out of necessity- not exactly "out of control", that implies a kleptomaniac or something. And she's a thief for a tiny fraction of the series. Ten minutes in she's already practically retired- training to be a spy, remember? As for raging, I'm not sure if that was intended as a intensifier of "out of control" or if it was meant as another personality trait, in which case I have no idea what you mean, since other than in regards to nobles Mel doesn't lose her temper ever, and even with nobles she has one small outburst at Ed from which she is quickly conciliated, and an ongoing feud with Lydia for which anyone could be excused.

Edward: I guess he's rich, although I'm not sure how it's relevant since it seems to all be tied up in his college funds (I didn't exactly notice him helping monetarily on the quest). Stuck up I cannot think of a single piece of evidence for. He gets tired of people sucking up to him as prince, if that's what you mean- but wouldn't stuck up be expecting people to suck up to you? He's the kind of person who actually feels relieved and happy when people (aka Mel) treat him with less respect. And certainyl he's constantly the voice of "be nice, help people" throughout the series, which doesn;t impyl stuck up ("C'mon, Mel, we have to help them!" "No, Edward, we don't." "B-but... *puppy eyes*" "Ah! Stop looking at me like that! Fine, I'll help them!" ...that's half the dynamic of their relationship right there). As for dumb-at-times... I guess it depends on what you mean by dumb. Short-sighted? Sure. He's a teenager. He makes stupid mistakes. But I actually got the impression that IQ-wise he's pretty intelligent. (Just... a trifle overconfident. See "makes stupid mistakes". And I really don't think that's a crime in a teenage character. It reflects a reality.)

Lydia: Egoistic? Sure. Spoilt? Definitely. Obsessed with Edward? Uh... no.

also, sorry for the super long rants. I... kinda really adore Ed/Mel. -cough- So.

Merged Post.

~Mopiece

Wow, I disagree with practically every aspect of your analysis of the characters.

Mel was a thief out of necessity- not exactly "out of control", that implies a kleptomaniac or something. And she's a thief for a tiny fraction of the series. Ten minutes in she's already practically retired- training to be a spy, remember? As for raging, I'm not sure if that was intended as a intensifier of "out of control" or if it was meant as another personality trait, in which case I have no idea what you mean, since other than in regards to nobles Mel doesn't lose her temper ever, and even with nobles she has one small outburst at Ed from which she is quickly conciliated, and an ongoing feud with Lydia for which anyone could be excused.

Edward: I guess he's rich, although I'm not sure how it's relevant since it seems to all be tied up in his college funds (I didn't exactly notice him helping monetarily on the quest). Stuck up I cannot think of a single piece of evidence for. He gets tired of people sucking up to him as prince, if that's what you mean- but wouldn't stuck up be expecting people to suck up to you? He's the kind of person who actually feels relieved and happy when people (aka Mel) treat him with less respect. And certainyl he's constantly the voice of "be nice, help people" throughout the series, which doesn;t impyl stuck up ("C'mon, Mel, we have to help them!" "No, Edward, we don't." "B-but... *puppy eyes*" "Ah! Stop looking at me like that! Fine, I'll help them!" ...that's half the dynamic of their relationship right there). As for dumb-at-times... I guess it depends on what you mean by dumb. Short-sighted? Sure. He's a teenager. He makes stupid mistakes. But I actually got the impression that IQ-wise he's pretty intelligent. (Just... a trifle overconfident. See "makes stupid mistakes". And I really don't think that's a crime in a teenage character. It reflects a reality.)

Lydia: Egoistic? Sure. Spoilt? Definitely. Obsessed with Edward? Uh... no.

also, sorry for the super long rants. I... kinda really adore Ed/Mel. -cough- So.

My analysis was very drawn-out :P

Mel:-

Ranging, out of control = getting in a row with Lydia frequently, hates/bad blood when it comes to nobles.

Edward:-

Rich = The dude's a prince.

Stuck up = should’ve said Vain lol.

Can't bear his status, considers it as a weigh down. Doesn’t have a sense of duty.

Dumb – at – times = A prince doesn’t just abandon/hand down his kingdom whatsoever.

But the both of em’ are still adolescents. So it’s a very justifiable excuse.

Lydia:-

Not exactly Edward fanaticized/Actually uses Edward = oh yah, I did not recall that :P

Mel:-

Ranging, out of control = getting in a row with Lydia frequently, hates/bad blood when it comes to nobles.

That's what I meant by Mel being an inverted-snob, okay? She hates nobles because they're nobles- stereotyping them as stuck-up/self-centered/etc. Now how is that different with Lydia who hates commoners because they're commoners- branding them as stupid, dirty and filthy?

@rogue: cuz its poor people hating on the rich, rather than the other way around lol.

poor people hating on the rich is something a lot of people can relate to and sympathize. Ie Cheer for the underdog who's gonna humiliate those rich pricks.

I personally don't find THAT part of her attitude (i hate rich people) that bad. Probably because her attitude is echoing many of my and my families' sentiments on the rich.

@blurble: We're gonna have to agree to disagree with the whole mature thing (as with most things it seems lol). To me, they are static with little to no maturing.

I'm just gonna disclaimer this by saying its been a while since I've replayed Mel's Story so my memories not the best. I mostly recorded only the teijal bits ^_^;;;

Edward seems to grow something of a backbone toward the very end of the game, but only time will tell whether if its all talk or he's actually changed. I mean, he's been acting like a pansy through both games. Skepticism is expected.

Mel on the other hand is still as impulsive and rash as she was in the other games.

@rogue: the poster above me just answered the not-very-apparent question well.

@KTC: rich people aren’t that bad. :P

But some can be very exasperating, like Lydia for example xD

@lovinlife: some aren't bad. But others are very irritating. My mum worked with rich snobs before and took great delight in bringing them down a notch or two.

I tend to feel the same way if I hear about a 'rich person got humiliated' story.

but being off topic is so much fun XP

k back on topic:

Vampire Teijal is awesome. Human Teijal makes me sad since she really doesn't like being human. Hoping she gets vamped in the next game.

If not, I got my fanfic Teijal |D.

lolz that’s an interesting on-topic thing to talk about xD

I think Te’ijal’s gonna be a vamp in the next game.. hope so.

oh yah ya' fics still exist XD

But she was great as a human too :P

We haven't even seen how she is as a human, only her letters which were all "I Hate being a human. Here's my reasons why" :P

this certificate certifies that the thread "Aveyond Characters" created by "pinkjaguar12" has officially reached "twenty" pages.

the purpose of this certificate is to signify that "pinkjaguar12" is very proud of herself, but "pinkjaguar12" is even more thankful of her friends on "Amaranthia" for posting and filling it up.

Disclaimer: This is not an actual certificate.

Disclaimer of the disclaimer: I am more than just thankful. I am really very absolutely, positively, supercalifragilisticexpialidociously grateful.

@sandstorm: be a VAMPIRE again, you mean?

Well... I'm not really a fan of her, so I don't mind not seeing her in future games. Not to mention that her faceset in AV 3 sucks (so is everyone else's but we're not currently discussing about that)

I still can't get over the pointless 3 month gap between Dameon sending the slave trader to catch Talia and then him reporting back that they got the wrong person. I mean, after Rhen was captured, there was a 3 months where she's a slave and Dameon never reported back until Rhen is already in Shadwood. Why the delay? He forgot?

And I also wonder what took Agas so long in bringing the daevas over. Since there's no mention that he'd been ordered to do something else in those 3 months, it's either he was sitting around doing nothing or he really took THAT long to open the gates to Demon Realm and gather the other daevas. What, were the gates hard to breach? Were the daevas scattered all over the place and he had to go around the Demon Realm tracking them down one by one? Were they actually reluctant to go and he had to nag and pester them for months until they relent and agree to come over? (oh man, what a perfect topic for a parody)

If Agas was the one who opened the gates, why didn't he just escape the Demon Realm a very long time ago if he could do that? If he couldn't and it was Ahriman who opened it, why didn't he just bring all seven of them at once in the first place instead of just Agas? GAH!!!! >_____<

@agas: don't think too hard bout the timeline. it'll make your brain explode lol.

I mean, look at AP's time line. Talia/Devin are at the academy for ~3 years. Zorom's already revived Ahriman's corpse according to Talia's vision.

So what is he doing wasting his time kidnapping/marrying Alicia when he could just merge with ahriman and beat everything up?

@KTC: LOL yeah, I know that. I'm just the type of person who nitpicks at everything. I mean, look at the intro. When Talia says all daevas are sealed in Demon Realm, Agas says that Ahriman has set [them] free and [they] have come home. That implies that all the daevas are already summoned over (or at least more than one are, since he talks in plural). And that totally doesn't make any sense =______= He doesn't refer to himself in plural, after all.