Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
pinkjaguar12

Aveyond Characters *SOME SPOILERS*

*points to my girl fighting in only lingerie on a snowy mountain or in a volcano*

nope, not really lol. (though it sometimes makes for good eye candy while beating up baddies.)

I have to agree with the masses about AV2. To be honest I don't remember the storyline, and the only thing I DO remember about the game was that the characters/storyline were weak. I basically played that game to say I've played them all.

The sad thing is, the character I liked most was Lars. He was one of those ones that could keep you guessing about where his loyalties lied. I could have easily seen him going to the dark side if Daemon had not been in the picture. You knew from the beginning that Daemon was "bad" he just happened to luck out that Rhen cared. Edward is a prince so of course he's going to be on the good side. I don't really remember anything about Ean other than he whined a lot. Every "partner" in the games had a clear cut line of what side they were on but Lars, I could see his hatred of Rhen fueling him to switch sides just as easily as he stayed on the good side.

AV1 was probaly my favorite game just because I'm used to Mario and Zelda where you have to travel the world beating numerous bad guys to save the day. I liked the idea of having to defeat several daevas to save the day. To me that is a lot more interesting than being sidetracked on sidequests collecting things to continue. Let's say that if in AV3 you had to defeat several bosses to counteract Gyendal opening the 7 circles of hell I would be pleased. :)

As far as the heroes/heroines go, Mel would have to be my favorite. I remember 19 and she is a mirror image of me personality wise. There are situations she faces that I can relate to and that is cool IMO.

Relationship wise......Hands down Teijal/Galahad. Her personality is 100% what I picture a vampire to be with a lover, and I think the banter between her and Galahad is the best.

crcdcc, that is really interesting o_o I personally never had the idea of Lars ever going to the bad side during Aveyond. He's not really evil/been through a terrifying experience/holds a huge grudge like Dameon.. he's just a spoiled rich boy who was taught that slaves are beneath humans and knows no difference. Though, being greedy and power-hungry would make for an easy target if Ahriman had offered him rule over everything.. I don't know. You have inspired me with this new look on things.. dang it, I don't NEED another story to write! :D

And I COMPLETELY agree with the multiple 'bosses' thing! It's so much more interesting than solving a bunch of quests to advance the plot! Less confusing, too, because once a boss is defeated, you know you can proceed. If it's a quest, I find myself wondering, "Ok. Is that all I needed to do to move on or not?" But I can understand that some find that to be a challenge and like it more, so :)

Umm...If in AV3 you had to defeat several bosses to counteract Gyendal opening the 7 circles of hell then what will be the difference between ap av1 and av2 and av3.IMO-

I won't like to play a single game again and again just with different characters.Though it would be a good idea and i really agree that its a really good idea but it will remind me of av1 and av2.

Whined....Whined????Ean used to whin if he used to whin then he must have not gone in snow queen's world to save iya....

If everyone's giving their opinions then i will give my opinion too hehe-

Note-

The following matter is what i think.Any thinking matching to mine or different from mine will(is)be purely coincidential.

av2 was the best game in av series for people with soft heart and for people who will do as much as they can to help someone and also for those who wanted to see a love story that rarely exists anymore but it still exists.(that means to even die and go to an unknown world just to save your love)

IMO-

av3 for those who wanted spicy and fun stories and love stories.(especially those who wanted to see a love square(or later on a triangle),Quite spicy love stories ;) )

and the most good thing for me-The destiny wasn't powerful.

av1 (its been a time so i can't tell) probably for those who want to get some good love stories

and wanted to see that its never late to turn into a human being from a demon. :) (there were two examples for it)

ap (its been a huge time so i can't tell right now and i also don't remember about it much.)

The things i didn't liked-

Ap-Whoa...Seeing in a pot and then i can save the planet.I really hate destiny games.

av1-ahhh not fully destiny but still the queen shouldn't send rhen just because talia said.Still it was a good game.

av2-I don't remember a lot but what did the queen said-Why can only iya give her power.It wasn't destiny or it was.I don't remember much.Can anyone tell???

av3-I haven't played first two parts so i can't tell a lot.But av3 was the only game of av series in which there was very less destiny.

The fact that I like the daevas for no good reason at all probably proves that there's something lacking with the main characters. I mean, I usually side with the bad guys if the good guys are annoying and/or boring. Even though the bad guys have honestly honest bad motives and they actually suck, if I hate the heroes I will nevertheless join the dark side.

thanks you kbljkl!!!!!!

i feel the EXACT same way! AV2 is for people with soft hearts who LOVE to see people risking their lives for their loved ones. WHINY?!?! I think not.

I restate my statement before, and this time I mean it. You guys are WAY too harsh. I mean, et's turn the tables on you, shall we. If YOU were in Iya's position, ow would you feel? Alone, not sure where she belongs, sad, lonely, just plain miserable.

Look, I am a aspiring writer, and I know for a fact that this type of character is THE VERY BEST!!! She can be played with, for she does not have a steady outlook on her life. PERFECT!

Ean being whiny?!?! WTH?!?! He was probably the ravest character in the whole AV series I have seen! (Note, I have not played AP, nor will I ever) Iya was a perfect character, Rye *heart flutters* I have had a crush on, Emma was just oozing girl power, which I LOVE, Ava was AWESOME as a pirate, mentor, and friend, Nick was someone you love to hate but want to see change, Gavin was very funny and provided some romance laughs in the game when it came to him and Ava, and Jack was just fun, silly and playful, and he provided even more laughs AND a handy lock-picking ability I might add.

Alright, I have ranted enough. But, seriously, put yourself in their shoes. In fact, turn it into something that could happen in RL. You failed a test you and your parents were hoping all year you would pass. How would you feel? Your husband/wife/child is stolen from you. Wouldn't you do anything in the world to bring him or her back?????

alright, rant over.

@pink: Pulling the emotion card (ie, what if it happened to you) isn't going to work here. If we did, Rhen would kicked them all in the butts. Hello three months of slavery plus the journey on the slave ship AND many months afterward with your former master. I mean, what happened to her to make her so subservient at the end of those 3 months?

Think about it.

So ignoring emotional arguments and analyzing it from a story and execution perspective:

AV2:

Iya/Ean: The thing is, their love story has absolutely no tension to begin with. No spark. Nothing to keep you there. We know that they are going to be together again. It's inevitable, undeniable, and expected.

And boring as a love story. The cliche's been done numerous times, some working out well enough others not so much. In AV2, the execution left much to be desired.

As for the character profiles and traits: I think I already said this before, but I don't remember much of any of them except Ava and Gavin and even those two are in a mildly interest way. Going from this, AV2 was definitely the least memorable of the games. Heck, I didn't even remember 90% of the group's names before they started popping up in this thread lol!

KTC wrote:

@pink: Pulling the emotion card (ie, what if it happened to you) isn't going to work here. If we did, Rhen would kicked them all in the butts. Hello three months of slavery plus the journey on the slave ship AND many months afterward with your former master. I mean, what happened to her to make her so subservient at the end of those 3 months?

Think about it.

So ignoring emotional arguments and analyzing it from a story and execution perspective:

AV2:

Iya/Ean: The thing is, their love story has absolutely no tension to begin with. No spark. Nothing to keep you there. We know that they are going to be together again. It's inevitable, undeniable, and expected.

And boring as a love story. The cliche's been done numerous times, some working out well enough others not so much. In AV2, the execution left much to be desired.

As for the character profiles and traits: I think I already said this before, but I don't remember much of any of them except Ava and Gavin and even those two are in a mildly interest way. Going from this, AV2 was definitely the least memorable of the games. Heck, I didn't even remember 90% of the group's names before they started popping up in this thread lol!

Well said KTC, you said it a whole lot better than I could've, but I still stick with my guns, AV2 was the most forgettable for all the reasons you just stated. :)

you haven't exactly provided any real arguments for why AV2 is best.

iya/ean: emotional pleas.

character traits: subjective reasoning. (Fangirling isn't a good reason)

but to each his/her own opinions.

Also, I tend find it bad policy to play AP/AV games for romance of any kind as often the romance dialogue/interaction/chemistry/etc. is pretty lacking. (Rhen/dameon anyone? appeared outta the blue with the first build. especially if you were one of those people who intentionally did not get dameon until the very end of the game.)

I mean, the only pairing I find myself supporting 100% is due to writing about them for so long and even that started as an entirely 'on a whim'/crack story. (Teijal/Rhen for any confused. Wasn't even in my yuri fanboy phase yet)

The dating sims/romancy aspect (talking, gifts, etc.) can be improved upon so its more... interactive.

Off topic: for a good rm2k example of what I mean, I recommend Romancing Walker which is one of my fav rm2k games. Just don't mind the poorly translated english too much >.>

ummm...i agree with both of you,pink and ktc.

@pink:Yeah.Rhen would have done that.IMO the storeyline was good but how it was carried made it less popular.There were very less strong comments i found between ean and iya.Though there were between emma and rye.and thats why they were more popular.But the worst thing you will find about characters is that they are so straight forward.I mean ean & iya are both same.They both are handsome,kind hearted,and they both are so calm.(probably because of the weak comments it made me feel they were calm).Emma and rye were also same.Both were nasty and fun loving.And they remain like that in whole game.So before anything happened we use to know what will happen afterwards.Thats why the story didn't remain interesting.(I am not saying they both were same thats why i am not liking it but i am saying that they both would react in same way.So thats why we knew from the starting of any event what can happen mostly with other character and how will he/she react to it)Thats what it made it less popular.

KTC wrote-

"The thing is, their love story has absolutely no tension to begin with. No spark. Nothing to keep you there. We know that they are going to be together again. It's inevitable, undeniable, and expected. "

@ktc:You knew from the starting that they are going to be together again.We can say that in AP also -We alreayd knew that talia will defeat ahriman. we can say that in av1-(After rhen and queen's meeting)We already knew that talia will say to let rhen go on the journey and then that she will defeat ahriman.

av3-Mel can destroy the orb.So it was sure she will get it back as she was the main character and the one fighting evil.And we also knew that if she will find it she will destroy it.(As she was the good one,Though it didn't looked like that but why then didn't she tried to make a deal with gyendal and then double cross him and why didn't she just waited and watch all that happen.Of course there were no friends of her so she had not felt much sad.)

And in av2 did you expected that the queen will be the last nymph and that that the main villan was heptitus.

IMO av2 was a suspense story where they mainly focused on comments for incresing suspense.And that was the weak point because then other comments got weak.

That means they increased suspense in the story line(and thats why the storyline was the best in all of av games)but the suspense of the comments of PC's were pale which made it less popular.

@kb: I was specifically talking about the romance between iya/ean, not the storyline or plot.

AV2: ean/iya was obvious. There wasn't any rival. We knew they were going to get together.

AP: devin/talia/alicia < - no we didn't know

AV3: mel/stella/edward < - no we didn't know (and still don't know)

AV1: rhen/galahad/dameon/danny/lars < - no we didn't know

AV2 is the only love story where we know the protagonist Ean is going to get together with Iya since: they were close friends before, got back together toward the middle, had no other rivals to fight off, etc etc. There is no tension, spark, or anything else i said before.

It's boring.

As for the storyline: not seeing where the suspense is. Suspense to me means that there are plenty of twists/turns and there's an urgency to beat the enemy as soon as possible or something bad will happen. In AV2, there was only one twist at the very end and I didn't sense any urgency to finish the game as quick as possible.

AV1/AP both aren't suspenseful either, each only having 1 twist. Fun games, but not for the suspense.

AV3 had the most twists even if one was pretty obvious since the beginning. But again, there was no sense of urgency to finish.

Conclusion: If I want suspense, I'll watch a movie, read a book, or play a shooting game lol. AV games aren't suspenseful with that urgency that if you don't succeed, the baddy wins. It's only with AV3 that the twists are multipling.

To me, the "twist" at the end of AV2 just seemed to come out of nowhere. It just struck me as lame rather than surprising. If the villain had turned out to be someone we care about instead of an evil witch, then maybe it would have been a good twist.

And as for Ean/Iya, I don't feel anything for their romance. It was just nice guy marries nice girl, and like KTC said, there's never any doubt that they're going to end up together.

Plus, from a personal standpoint, their romance was more central to the story than any other AV romance, and I have a tendency to dislike romance when it's the center of a story. I tend to prefer "subplot" romance - that always strikes me as more real. I have a theory that when romance is the center of any story, the storytellers tend to hammer it in that the protagonists love each other, while when the romance is a subplot, the storytellers know they won't have as much time for it, so they foucs mainly on telling it through meshing personalities instead.

Yeah, I'm weird.

@esme:

"It was just nice guy marries nice girl,"

^ omg, a nice concise way to explain to summarize all my ramblings on ean/Iya XD

that's an interesting perspective on romance stories. Now I think about it, I tend to see that with badly written stories (where this happens) while better written ones have the romance there for sure, but there's also a lot of interesting stuff going on besides the main romance. I mean, I'm all for fluff since my fandoms tend to thrive on very agonizing angst (where I don't know if they stay together), but fluff alone can't sustain a long/engaging story.

@esme:care about....CARE about....If you remember the main goal actually(beside romance)was to get blessing of 6 nymphs so they do cared about snow queen though not for her but to get back so they can't go on killing snow queen.

You said "A nice guy marries a nice girl"

Thats what i also said.See in my last post and the matter which i was telling to pink.At least read full post.

@ktc:It was and it isn't always possible that they will change their pairs.I know there weren't any rivals but thats why i am saying the story wasn't mainly focused on romance.It was a fully calm story that made it less popular.I agree it was weak but it wasn't the worst of all av games.

Don't go on only romance the storyline is also there.

@kb: I'm confused on what you're trying to argue against in my post. Please be more specific to what exactly you are arguing against.

My posts concerning AV2 have picked at its storyline, characters, and romance. AV2 suffers from issues with all three while AV1,AP, AV3 don't. They have their problems to be sure, but not all three at once.

To reiterate:

The storyline is unsuspenseful and not gripping. Getting the blessings has the same vibe of killing the daevas and rescuing the souls. been there, done that. I agree with Esme that the twist wasn't *GASP HOLY HELL! OMG!* material. It was more of a "K....so what's next?" feeling.

The characters are forgettable for the most part. I mentioned before that before the names started popping everywhere, I had forgotten 90% of the names and vaguely remember two of the side characters lol.

After finishing the first version of AV2, I thought "This was IT?" and after I finished the other version of AV2 I was even more "THIS was IT?!" because I hoped I could kick the rude prince's butt big time and it never happened... making him almost nice wasn't good enough for me *.*

I've never cared for nice boy + nice girl = pair. Not after AV1, not after LARS :lol: I'm surprised I can remember all of the characters names :o

After the Oracle said Snow Queen was a prisoner herself and not the real baddie, you could start thinking what kind of a character could be the REAL bad guy. Heptitus kind of was only option in that game (well the nosy little witch Mimpsy Mara(?) was other but not so obvious because she was a child).

Er..you only said "I was specifically talking about the romance between iya/ean, not the storyline or plot."

When were you concerning storyline.

And didn't i said That characters' comments were expected thats what made it less popular(that means the characters were forgettable)What i meant was romance wasn't given that much attention.

@leelah:Really...it was???? If you will see ap-Then there was a bad guy from starting and it remained till the end.Was that what you call suspense.Same as av1.And in av3 i don't know who was another bad guy but i heard it was gyendal and he remained till the end.

Storyline:

"As for the storyline: not seeing where the suspense is. Suspense to me means that there are plenty of twists/turns and there's an urgency to beat the enemy as soon as possible or something bad will happen. In AV2, there was only one twist at the very end and I didn't sense any urgency to finish the game as quick as possible.

AV1/AP both aren't suspenseful either, each only having 1 twist. Fun games, but not for the suspense.

AV3 had the most twists even if one was pretty obvious since the beginning. But again, there was no sense of urgency to finish.

Conclusion: If I want suspense, I'll watch a movie, read a book, or play a shooting game lol. AV games aren't suspenseful with that urgency that if you don't succeed, the baddy wins. It's only with AV3 that the twists are multipling."

pretty much what I reiterated lol!

and I think leelah's saying that heppy is the obvious culprit which killed any suspense/surprise because you know who's the real enemy.

AV1 and AP had no such twists: Zorom/Ahriman was the main bady. There twists laid elsewhere.

Yes, KTC, that's just the thing I tried to say. I waited for a biiiig surprise to be in the end in AV2, because I didn't want to believe the solution would be so simple. I was wrong.

@kb: and that's where we disagree since compared to the rest, AV2 IS the worst game for me :P

AV2 in a nutshell:

Characters: forgettable

storyline: forgettable

romance: forgettable

...what happened in AV2 again? >.>

KTC wrote:

@kb: and that's where we disagree since compared to the rest, AV2 IS the worst game for me :P

AV2 in a nutshell:

Characters: forgettable

storyline: forgettable

romance: forgettable

...what happened in AV2 again? >.>

Ummmmm Ean Jumped through a tree into the realworld to save Iya, saved the day, fought the witch went back home got married the end.

oh yeah! tree jumping XD

and real world...

o. M. G.! Ean and iya are from the virtual world of pointy ears?! O>O!

(my joking bone has recently been broken. excuse the bad jokes >.>.)