Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarianFrae

Magin -- Official Series Thread -- Indie Dev Grant Nominee!

Great Marian, I look forward to finally seeing their sprites! And screen-shots too! This game has such an interesting plot line, with custom maps and sprites, It'll be awesome!

I hope to have a lot to show you and that taking my time won't mean a long wait. Thanks so much for the interest! It helps keep me motivated! ^_^

:D Here's a little peek at the sprites. As these are my first from-scratch sprites, it's moving a bit slowly but I'm getting better and quicker. :D

A bump with a little update for you. :D

GarinProfile.png This is the lovely Garin. As you can see, he has a pretty good number of scars... especially for his age. Some of them will fade... but some of them will stay forever-- and each one has a story.

IanaProfile.png This is Iana. This view of her isn't all that intriguing but I love her anyway. ^_^ She gets better with age... like a good cheddar. Yum.

Because 14 is the age you become a man. In most of our world, you come of age around 18 and are a full grown adult around age 25; but, in Magin, you come of age at 14 and are a fully fledged adult 20 with an established skill set and trade.

I'm glad you like them! ^_^

Hrm... I really need to update this thread's main post but it's so difficult to read all the way through as it is right now. I'm considering creating a Magin wiki with information that will be updated as demos are released and stuff. How would you guys like me to edit the first post to have the main information needed/wanted and to have a link for greater detail which will be better organized?

Most of them, by the standards of Magin, are now adults.

ADULTS

-------

Derek(14), Iana(14), Garin(15), Dalin(22), Mhag(?)

CHILDREN

-------

Matt(12), Lithe(?), Zon(?)

Lithe and Zon have lived more years than the others but are considered children by the other Fey.

PROJECT UPDATE

I have finally decided to listen to the advice many have given me and direct my team in making a smaller, less ambitious game. However, instead of making an *entirely different* game, my team and I will be making a free prequel.

The prequel will take place only in Magin, on only one of its continents and some of the surrounding islands. It will also have fewer features and fewer principal characters. Many of the important characters in this prequel will be important NPCs who give aid in the main game. In the next week, I will outline the story and characters and create a new topic. I will also be working on a website for the series.

However, I don't want this project considered dormant. Completed features, tilesets, and shared sprite sets will have pictures posted in both threads. The sharing of resources--and even very little reworking of maps--between games is one reason I've decided to go on with this prequel. It's a good exercise that helps us prepare for the full show.

Finally, the series title will be Magin and all games within it will have a subtitle.

I thank everyone for the interest you've shown in this project and hope you show the same interest in its prequel. Most of the prequel was written to be used as backstory and flashbacks in this project but there's just too much to contain that way.

PS: A point of interest is that this game was originally conceived as a short story((which grew into a novella--which grew into a novel--which grew into a game)) for my little sister who, at the time of conception, was 11 or 12. The prequel will have a more mature feel--featuring only adult heroes and a darker, less family oriented plot--while continuing to be family friendly.

Well that's okay~ A prequel sounds great, in fact! Thing about prequels is not only do the explore the past background of the game, they keep you engaged through out the series~ I'll defiantly look out for the thread~

So this is sort of a non-update.

Legacy Studios is taking all of the necessary steps to become a small business and I've been looking for steady-income-employment as well as taking on my new responsibilities within the company.

Until we get all of the legalities in order and find the artists we need, Magin may look to be in a hiatus. I want to assure you that the story IS being worked on... but it's slow going and we want to make sure there are no conflicts between the original story(which doesn't have a working title just yet)--presented in the posts above--and the story of Magin: A New Order(the "prequel"). The transition should be as smooth as possible between stories. Once I feel confident that I have a solid skeleton story wise and complete character profiles, I will update this thread--using it as a highlight page--and link to the official, in depth thread on Legacy Studios.

The thread here will be easier to navigate because only the basics and screenies will be posted here. The in depth stuff will be posted on LS and tucked away neatly into spoiler tags.

Another reason Magin could appear to be on hiatus for a while is that we will be doing a lot of programming and dialog-writing while searching for an artist, raising the funds to pay an artist, and waiting for said artist to complete the work. To help Magin become more obviously (and yes I do mean visually) productive, check out the thread I posted in the Requests section and see if you can help us find a good artist!

So much love and gratitude to everyone who is still looking forward to this project.

Updates will be given as soon as possible. I feel I also must tell you that priority is being given to another LS game right now--Blackfire. I am the head of the writing team. Blackfire will be a free game. It's MUCH closer to being complete. As soon as we've updated and tweaked the project post, I'll post a thread for it here... but you can check it out at rpgrevolution or Legacy Studios in the meantime.

Magin: A New Order will chronicle the adventures of three siblings--Blaise, Russel, and Alicia Corneley--as they discover Magin's secrets, plots, and dangers. As children, Magin was their playground... but with adulthood has come a darker atmosphere. At the beginning of the game, the siblings will be in their mid twenties and age through their mid-thirties. Many characters and places will tie in to what will become the second Magin game--with Matt, Derek, and the others.

Sorry for the double post. It's been a few days. I've outlined the first Magin game and have started polishing character outlines. My musician, Zackwell Aesther, is also doing my logos/headers... and will hopefully have them done shortly. I will hopefully have an decent update for you by this or next Friday. In the meantime, what do you think of Magin's new logo? It's been shrunk... so click to see all its glory.

Maginlogo.png

Sorry for the triple post... but I finally have a major update for you guys. Story synopsis, character profiles, website link, flashy header images, and more.... in the first post! :)

You can finally glimpse everything I've been working on.

:) I'm glad you think so. ^_^ I've always had A New Order in my head--it was this massive backstory that had a lot of points but no real structure. I've finally been able to give it some structure and it's become very much more than backstory. A lot of it is going to be like a strategy game, I think.

Do you have any questions or suggestions? :)

Wow! Great updates! I love the whole idea about this game. It sounds very original which is rare to find in one game these days. Keep it up...I hope you'll release it soon ^^

Hehe. Better hold onto that hope about a swift release 'cause it won't be coming soon. I estimate a year to year and a half till release. We've got to raise the funds to pay our artists. Then we've got to do the mapping and eventing. Then a good bit of beta testing.... it'll likely be closer to the year and a half mark.

BUT we'll have plenty of tasty updates and demos for you in the meantime.

How do people feel about feature demos that don't involve any of the artwork that'll be used but show off some of our special features that have been scripted?

*sighs* I figured XD

I'm happy that you'll release demos and things...can't wait oh and I'm voting "YAY" for feature demos that don't involve any of the artwork that'll be used but show off some of our special features that have been scripted..yeah I made copy/paste from your post lol :D

lol. Alright. And yeah... if we rushed it and didn't have any special features or awesome artwork... we could probably get it done by January... but then it wouldn't be a game you'd want to buy and it wouldn't be a game I'd want to put my name on... it'd just be a novel with sidequests. =P

Awesome. :) Copy Pasta is delicious. We have it in two flavors--sarcastic and lazy. ;) Lazy is my favorite.

Thanks! ^_^ I'm glad to see that, despite the changes in focus and all the lapses in updates, I still have your interest! :D

Of the Corneley siblings, who do you guys think will be your favorite?

I've written a prequel to the game that you guys might be interested in. I'm likely to write a few of these little stories later on. It'll be cheaper to buy them as the stories come out but eventually, I'll be releasing an illustrated compilation of prequel shorts. This way, you can get to know the Corneleys and their friends even before you play the game! You can find the published short story here.

I also wanted to share the wonderful WIP drawing of Blaise that daeva_agas has been working on for me. ^_^

EDIT 12/15/11

daeva_agas has finished the drawing of Blaise. He is now fully coloured and there is nothing more to add. See him here. He has also started a drawing of Alicia but there isn't a WIP yet. As soon as Alicia and Russel are done, I'll add them to the first page and release information about the Girls of Bhaile Montir.