Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarianFrae

Magin -- Official Series Thread -- Indie Dev Grant Nominee!

daeva_agas is now working on Alicia! You can see a preview of her face so far. We've determined her pose but we're discussing some of the details right now and I thought I'd let you guys have a bit of input.

Alicia will have a rapier at one hip, a compass in her right hand, and a strung bow in her left hand(Right hand = left side from our POV). Considering she will have to put her compass in a pocket or something before being able to draw her bow, do you think she should have her quiver behind her back, at her shoulders, or at her hip? And should the rapier be on the left or right side from our POV?

Love the face so far. :)

I'd say quiver at the back.

As for rapier, depends if she's right handed or left handed. If right handed, then right side (from our POV), otherwise the other way around. ^^

I have few brief updates for you. Firstly, the Magin team has grown by one! Daniel Darlington has joined the writing team.

I have also been working on the game features and overall look of the game. I won't update the features list as of yet but I can show you a peek at the new menu screen and describe a few of its features.

f4f4da16.png

Off and on for the past 21 hours, I have been redoing the concept art for the Custom Menu Screen. Character Art was created by daeva_agas. As she finishes drawing the characters, I will replace the picture with one that includes all completed characters. Font found free to use at dafont.org. Pocket watch is a stand-in for a moving sprite(yes! You'll be able to read the time!) The smudge over Equipment shows what menu item has been selected. A character with a name and colour is currently selected. Underneath our six characters lies another six character slots. The idea behind the menu is that it is Blaise's journal. Because of this, there will be a few "scrapbook" or "field book" like elements--such as the addition of extra, mini pages.

Daeva_Agas is very close to finishing Alicia so be looking forward to her completed picture and another update to the menu!

Finally, the staff at Legacy Studios has decided that we will host development blogs for each of our games. I will be officially starting Magin's on Friday.

EDIT: A game features document has now been made public. The document is 5 pages long and subject to change/addition.

EDIT: As a side note... for some reason, I'm rather amused that my topic has more views than the Homemade Games Submission Guide. Thanks for the 7000+ views! :)

Should be fixed now. For some reason, it won't show images hosted on our website. We'll have to look into it. Photobucket for now it is. :)

A new addition to our family came in just in the past couple of days and has already produced some fantastic work! Please welcome MetalRenard!

MetalRenard is officially joining the team and has already completed the first track! http://soundcloud.com/metalrenard/elven-isle-mellow-magin-ost

I'm glad you guys like the song and art! :D

Both games will cost as the first one alone will cost roughly 10k USD to create. We will likely be releasing a few of the minigames to play for free, however.

We also plan on releasing a mastered version(better quality) of the OST for digital purchase.

The prequel WILL cost less than the second game. Right now, we're considering a $10-$15 price range as we're just hoping to break even. It's estimated to have 30-50 hours of play time and will have a good amount of replay value.

EDIT: Alicia is almost done(yay, daeva_agas)! We just need your help!

Alicia

Alicia Armoured

We're wondering what you think we could do to make Alicia a little bit more feminine--without enhancing her body parts.

Thanks! Necklace would definitely work for the unarmored version but would be a little difficult to make stand out on the armored version. I thought about bracelet but then realized that the bracelet would kind of get in the way of archery. Plus, we forgot the archery glove!

What about a small design on her armour? It's fabric so it could be embroidered. Any ideas about something small we could add?

Also~ please let me know if you'd be interested in buying the OST for Magin? We'll be putting out the main Magin theme in a week or two.

Her boots look a bit large and manly to me. Maybe make them a bit more slender and maybe add a small heel? That would definitely make her legs appear more feminine.

Something like this:

width=300http://www.mycolorfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/30/Gucci-womens-boots-2010-fall-winter-10.jpg[/img]

Or even this:

width=300http://www.mycolorfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/30/Gucci-interlocking-mid-heel-boots-black-2.jpg[/img]

More heel = more feminine but also less practical :)

. . . I posted a reply HOURS ago! What happened?! ;_;

Anyway... we've had trouble finding a suitable reference for front-view girl boots that are practical and don't have tons of heel. I'd take a picture of mine... but the only ones I have that aren't heeled are rain boots and therefore thicker like the ones in the picture. If you have any idea where to find some front-view boots, please let me know. :) Thanks for the advice on boots you've already given though, Arggy. :) How are you doing these days?

Mickychi, thanks for your input! A flower in the hair wouldn't be quite practical enough for Alicia... but some kind of flowered design would definitely work for the armor.

Should it be on the whole thing or just border the neck and middle?

Doing just fine, thanks! :)

Here are links to pages for the above boots. They give front, back, and both side views of them, so you can see them from all angles, which might help.

http://www.mycolorfashion.com/201008/gucci-devendra-rubber-low-heel-boots-black.html

http://www.mycolorfashion.com/201008/gucci-interlocking-mid-heel-boots-black.html

I guess the main thing is to not angle out too much when you reach the foot. Just keep it in line with the leg, to maintain an overall slender look.

MarianFrae wrote:

. . . I posted a reply HOURS ago! What happened?! ;_;

Anyway... we've had trouble finding a suitable reference for front-view girl boots that are practical and don't have tons of heel. I'd take a picture of mine... but the only ones I have that aren't heeled are rain boots and therefore thicker like the ones in the picture. If you have any idea where to find some front-view boots, please let me know. :) Thanks for the advice on boots you've already given though, Arggy. :) How are you doing these days?

Mickychi, thanks for your input! A flower in the hair wouldn't be quite practical enough for Alicia... but some kind of flowered design would definitely work for the armor.

Should it be on the whole thing or just border the neck and middle?

Where, on the armour maybe across the neckline and one half of the armour, or maybe as trimming edges. Depends what you think will look the best.

Daniel has stepped down from his writing position due to a heavy schedule so we have up to three writing positions available if anyone's interested.

Also, feel free to ask any questions you have about the characters, story, features, etc. :)

Writers help with character profiles and dialog as well as sidequests. They'll also brainstorm with me to develop the actual story. Especially the bits that are caused by character choices.

I'm writing the story first as a linear novel and most bits of it have already been set but the assistant writers will be helping me decide on side storylines that will lead to the alternate endings.

Also, writers will be reimbursed for their time.

Brent Anderson has joined the team as a spriter and animator!

Alright, we've decided that it'll be best if agas draws Russel and comes back to Alicia afterward with a fresh eye. We'll probably be changing some of the facial structure to make it a bit more feminine. We'll definitely be narrowing the boots some more and trying to embellish the armor a little but there are some concerns about making it too busy. Adding to her bust isn't really practical in an armor sense(and Alicia's all about practicality... she'd bind her breasts closer to keep them more protected were she about to go into battle) so that will be a last resort.

Samy/MetalRenard has finished the main theme and given it the fitting title The Wandering Dream!

Finally, please check out my latest blog entry for a more in depth update. I've got some information about the Kickstarter project--which I hope to start the last week of May--as well as a sneak peek at the script!

Comments on the blog can be given here or at LS. :)

Just letting everyone know that there will be some fairly big changes to the OP in the near future--including the addition of sprites! If you want a sneak peak, check out my latest blog post for a teaser of Blaise's sprite. Already, you can tell a major difference between Magin's sprites and those of the various RM RTPs.

I plan to have our Kickstarter project running by the end of the month so keep an eye out for any announcements regarding that.