Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
lilacXemerald

Left hand or right?

@aeternus: wow, everyone i know does it the opposite ie right hand with fork.

(and omg! i got eating etiquette XD)

@KTC

HOLY CROW o_o; That's weird. And funny xD Maybe I should go live where you do! Sounds like I'd fit right into a normal meal :D

I was taught to use the fork in the left to cut with, and knife in the right, lay the knife down and switch the fork to the right to actually eat with, and drop the left had to your lap.

It was important at the table when I was growing up to use the utensils that way. My parents and my grandmother were very strict.

I on the other hand let our children eat whatever way they wanted to, so that dinner was something that they might enjoy. Oddly enough by the time they went to school they had developed some rudimentary manners and were socially acceptable despite my parents' misgivings.

"I was taught to use the fork in the left to cut with, and knife in the right, lay the knife down and switch the fork to the right to actually eat with, and drop the left had to your lap. '

^ that sounds complicated O_o!

I just use left for fork and... really, just left with fork lol. Though I know I also grip the fork differently from my right handed family who hold it like this.

while I hold it like this. < parents never corrected me until recently, but its a bit too late.

It probably was complicated but during the time I was growing up my parents were required to entertain a lot because of my father's profession and children do learn quite quickly. I grew up in a rather strict home, not cold or unloving, but very much 1950's and 60' America.

Nowadays I often rest an arm on the table - that would have gotten me sent away from the table as a child.

LOL, complicated table manners!!! :D Was talknig about fork-and-spoon kind of eating where fork is almost always on the left hand... Maybe left-handed people do it differently, I dunno. When I eat steak with knife and fork I usually change around between fork in left hand and fork in right hand because either way feels uncomfortable to me :P I use my left hand to hold the fork more often, though, because I'm right handed --> my right hand is stronger --> cuts the meat better.

Being a lefty, I will hold the fork with my right hand and cut with my left. If I am just using a fork by itself, I will hold it with my left hand.

I guess whatever utensil is doing the most work goes in my left hand. :)

hmm, they say right handed people are usually inclined with logistics, and left handed are with arts.. but that doesn't mean that if your righthanded, youre not good at the arts. :P

personally, im a right handed person but i use my left and too at other things, like what d_a said :) i play my guitar with the left though.. haha, complicated stuff this is :P:D

I'm a complete right-handed. My left hand can't really do anything worthy on its own. Even when typing on the keyboard, I only use my left hand for pressing about from the left most column to the column with F. I use my right hand for the others. And I'm typing with 11 fingers AKA 1 finger with the left hand and 1 finger on the right hand.

About eating, my country usually uses spoon and fork, which I use my left hand for holding the fork and the right for the spoon, except when eating in a steak place. Weird enough, I forgot how I hold the fork and knife when I'm eating steak.

Probably the only things I use my left hand for is for holding things while my right hand is doing the work, or while I'm clipping my right hand's fingernails, or doing something that probably only people in my country would do. That 'something' shall not be explained.

@trueshadow: yeah, it's suck to having our lefty is plenty hard to use without right. But i'm sure that right must need left to work properly.

And also due to your statement before, you may be hold fork by the left, and the knife by your right so you can slice the meat neatly when you eat your steak.

I think it just happens because we're just getting used to use two of them.

I believe if someone just has one of their hands, they'll be able to do it as they getting used to it.

Also both hands is needed to keep our balances

Yes, i also remembered that this hands are really important, fingers too. Since almost of every tools made and designed to be used by hands.

It must be really hard if i lost one of them right now.

Ugh..,

As you know I am an older person. My Grandfather worked on a river-boat on the Missouri River during the years before World War I. He was a mechanic. some how his sleeve became caught in the machinery and it pulled his left arm right off.

In 1915 there was no way to re-attach an arm, so at 19 years of age he was left with only one arm.

Nevertheless, he met and married my Grandmother, raised 5 children and worked as paymaster (bookkeeper) for several companies.

He came out here to Washington State and had a farm.

My Grandfather was a successful man even with only one arm. He was never a complainer, and he was never a bitter man. He was the sweetest man on this Earth.

If you look back in your own family you may find similar stories. Many people are very successful despite what i would think of as huge handicaps.

aww, thats a nice story of your grandpa. :)

Many people are very successful despite what i would think of as huge handicaps.

people like them gives me hope. they make me feel blessed and thankful. haha. (off topic much?)

but still, i can't imaging losing mine.. :S

I saw this one inspirational video about a woman who was born without any arms at all. However, she didn't lose hope. She tried using her feet for doing stuff. She can use her feet for driving, eating, and even swimming! She became a singer and had a loving husband.

I guess it's just because we're used to using two hands, we feel uncomfortable without them. It's just a matter of getting used to IMO.

@kipani: does your left help much?

I also ever watch a video about a guy who had really short hands and legs, but his body and head looks normal.

But HE can do things by himself, and he even can swim.