Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

Once Upon a Dream (Newsletter)

I have weird dreams. Like two nights ago I had a dream that was entirely set to the song "What a Wonderful World." It was the first musical-dream I have ever had... though it lacked spontaneous dancing.

In going over dreams with an old friend she told me that she always dreams in black and white. I have never had a dream in black and white and until she said so, I didn't even think that it would be possible... unless you were colorblind I guess.

There's a lot of strange stuff that goes on in dreams and we all have some common ground there. Like when the scene of your dream changes and you just "know" what the new scene is. It isn't awkward that suddenly the park ranger office has turned into a boat on the ocean... that's just how it is and your brain goes "ok."

My sister has recently been doing a group dream class. In hopes of understanding the meaning behind a dream the participants of the class tell their dream-story and then have the other students say what it means to THEM. What it means to someone else can sometimes give you a perspective you hadn't had before. So share with the class, tell us a dream you've had that you just can't quite get out of your head.

We'll start with a general common dream item. Flight! People apparently have different ways of flying in dreams, and very few people have NEVER dreamt of being able to fly. When I dream about flying it is always the same method: I simply fly. Defy gravity style. No wings, no booster rockets. Something closer to Superman, but with a little more inertia (I can't stop on a dime).

How do you fly in your dreams? Share a dream with the class and let us tell you what it means!

AND just as I finished this I looked at the forum to see there already IS a thread dedicated to this: But since it was a lot of stories and not much analysis: That is what I want here. Story + ANALASYS :)... so uh.. I'm original I swear!

Yup - I "fly" the same way in my dreams. You didn't say it, but I always have my arms stretched out.

And power/telephone lines feature a lot when I'm flying - either I'm following them or coming down to fly under them when I see them.

I also dream of falling a lot. But I don't remember if I start flying and end up falling ...

So ... Amanda yells at you a lot in your dreams? You must REALLY give her a hard time!

This topic fascinates me. I dream in vivid color like watching an HD movie. The thing is; I cannot draw and it is rare I watch T.V. I am an avid reader though and have been for many years. I have dreams that are so real to me that I wake up and it takes me some time to realize it was just a dream. My family, friends,even strangers I encountered will show up. What confuses me and is a great source of entertainment for my family; when perfect strangers are in my dreams. Yet in that dream I seem to know them well?? I wake up going "HUH" LOL

Maybe it's just because I read so much & create the characters in my mind??

Great Topic Thanks!, Kas

ETA: I did not describe a specific dream because this happens almost every night...

I fly regularly in dreams. Usually it is more related to getting away from danger. I am usually running and then I just lift off. I have always dreamed in color too.

One of my weirdest though- I have dreamed in cartoon- where everything was drawn like a cartoon and you recovered from everything just like a cartoon.

Lolz....weird dreams? You are talking to THE person with weird dreams lol. :P

Two nights back I dreamed I fell inside a sea in Melbourne which was full of alligators, got up and did the can-can song and then dived inside a swimming pool and came out with a puppy! :P

I can tell you dreams weirder than that but....I think I won't. :P

Anyway, yea dreams are an important part of our lives. I've noticed that I dream about things which happened a long time ago but that something was still in my sub concious.

Like, the last time I went to the beach or near the sea was a month back and a dream about a sea comes only now...:D

And flying? I always fly with fairy wings in my dreams. :)

I have a dream about flying but it is the most unusually way to fly. In my dream I fly by moving my legs like I am pedalling a bicycle!

The faster I "pedal" in my dream the high and faster I can fly. When I quit pedalling I glide like a glider plane on the breeze.

When I glance toward the ground my family is always there looking up and pointing at me. In the dream I know they think that I am an oddball and different from all of them, but I don't care cause life is beautiful when I am pedalling up in the air. :)

Usually I dream of flying as more of levitation. I can float around without movement and do not tire easily. Occasionally I have had flying dreams were I had wings and it took much more effort to get around.

Ok so here is my expert (as in, I don't know psycology from a hole in the ground) opinion on the various forms of flight:

I see having wings in your dream as some kind of practicality. As if your mind is telling you (even when you are asleep) that the world works THIS way and you can't break the rules even in your dream. That isn't to say you are uncreative or some kind of follower, it is more to say that you want to exist in a world that follows laws of nature and enforce practicality.

I particularly liked the idea that having wings took someone more dream-energy than not! This sorta reinforces that idea to me, obviously movement requires energy and so it makes perfect sense (ignoring the fact that dreams give you an unlimited mana bar!)

The peddling of a bike: Super unique! What does it mean to peddle a bike to fly in a dream? My instict points to a love of history or maybe the fact that you want to fly on your own strengths. The history thing is that we've got a lot of historic inventions where peddal power was attempted to maintain flight. The fly on your own power is different from the wings issue. This is because we don't have wings, so those needed to be added. But to fly on your own power ALONE and STILL work at it (as opposed to us lazy folk who just... defy gravity) - this shows to me that it is some kind of deep goal to really fly via your own strength; but literally and figuratively.

On dreams where you meet strangers you know: I think this happens a lot. Jung says that everyone in your dream is a representation of yourself. An angry person, regardless of who it is, is an expression of your own anger. All parts of dreams are internalized. This theory flows well with strangers you know, as they are probably representing undefined parts of your psyche, ones that are not attached to a persona, but are making their way to the surface as your awareness and experience grow. It isn't that the stranger will become a regular in your dream (most likely) but rather their personality traits will BECOME someone you do know and the stranger will vanish.

What's really interesting about that theory to me is why are there SO many strangers? Maybe you are the type of person who is very in tune with a single emotional feeling, so even similar ones won't manifest as the same person... or maybe just the opposite, the lines are so blurred that you can't assign it to any one person? Or maybe you're just still exploring!

OK ... whew... that's what I think so far :) Don't be afraid to give your opinions everyone! There are no wrong ways to think about someone else's dream. All it can do is give them perspective that they may not have considered before... it's up to them to tell if its right or wrong :D

-Fool

I don't much care for my flying dreams. I dream frequently and vividly, but thankfully not often about flying.

I never have wings in my flying dreams; it's just me, in my regular human body. But right about the time I figure out that I'm both dreaming AND flying - lucid dreaming is very common for me - I fall. I always hit the ground. It's always concrete (like a sidewalk). And I always wake up with that ache in my lungs like I've just had all the air pushed out of them. (I don't think I've ever woken up dead, but you never know. LOL)

Now, oddly enough, when I do deep theta-state meditation (which is about as close to sleep as I can get without actually being asleep), I love to fly, and do so consciously, willingly, and joyously. I either fly as myself or as a winged creature, usually either a bird of prey or a dragon.

Scarier than flying dreams are pre-cognitive ones. If you've never had one, I can't begin to describe them. As the name implies, you dream of something that you will later encounter in real life, in the future. Obviously, you cannot know that any given dream is "pre-cognitive" until you actually experience the reality you dreamed about, but the ones I've had (two) both have extremely similar "sensations" (it's the only word I can think of) than my other dreams, even the ones I remember for a long time, don't have. The memory of those 2 pre-cognitive dreams is also very similar, extremely vivid and detailed, even for such a vivid dreamer as myself. I remember every single detail, from the texture of the mortar between bricks, to the color of the eyes of the big dog that met me by the mailbox. Both of them have "come true" in a sense...well, that's not entirely accurate. The second one I had barely a year or so before I actually experienced the things in the dream. Everything was there: the car I purchased, the dog, the size, shape, and even the wrapping paper on the Christmas present. Even the guy on the tandem bicycle. Watching all of these things come into my life - and remembering them from the dream - is beyond bizarre. But there was a sense of finality - of closure, of understanding, with that dream. It's as if something inside me were saying, "Yes, you understand. Now you can move on."

The earlier dream...I don't have that closure. I was 8 years old the first time I had the dream, and it returned to me twice after, identical in almost every respect (but one, and I'll mention that later), the last time being when I was 14. (I'm now 36.) I dreamed of the high school I would attend...but it was in a city I'd never heard of, in a state over 1200 miles from where I lived, and certainly wouldn't have consciously imagined ever going there. I dreamed of the main starway, the cafeteria, everything incredibly accurate, down to the painting of the school's mascott, the Patriot, on the wall by the stairs. The really odd thing about that painting is that while it was there the 2nd and 3rd times I had the dream (1986 and 1989, respectively), it wasn't there the 1st time (1984)...with good reason. It was painted in 1985.

I still have a feeling of expectancy that goes along with the still-fresh memory of that dream. As if there's somethig more for me to uncover, something I need to learn before I can move on.

Great post Rage!

I've had one pre-cognitive dream in my life. I like how every pre-cog dream I have ever heard someone describe is inevitably about something trivial. Mine was about standing in the doorway to the cafeteria of my middle school looking out on the playground. A recurring dream I had up till that point (5th grade). Every detail was, as you say, accurate - including the people. In my dream I just stand there watching the scene for a few minutes... and that's just what I found myself doing. Otherwise, totally uneventful.

I do get occasional dejavu sensations, which could be related to other pre-cog dreams that I simply don't remember.

On the whole you can believe pre-cog dreams in a variety of ways. For the true believers, you can say its our brains being in tune with the universe or whatever. For the skeptics, you can say that it is mostly random chance mixed with some predictive patterns. For the non believers you can even say that our brain fools us by mis-remembering, so as long as its close we'll see it as perfect.

Still, even to come close to reality in a dream is pretty impressive.

That said: Rage brings up another key fly/fall dream aspect.

Death!

Rage falls in her dream- this is why she is angry... RAGE! - but wakes up as soon as she hits pavement, and always pavement (never a bounce house around when you need it).

This happens to me sometimes as well, I will fall and hit pavement and wake up on impact.

I have an experience I want analyzed. A recurring dream will have me falling out of a window in a large building. I fall, hit the pavement... and do not wake up. I am dead in my dream. The "camera" shifts to third person, watching the scene of my accident and the reactions of those around me. I can't move or float, its just like someone fixed a camera above the accident scene. There's never been anyone I know in the crowd of people, but I usually wake up after the paramedics arrive or after a few minutes of watching my corpse.

Weird eh? Anyone ever "Survive" death in their dreams? Anyone ever thought they were going to die and figured out a way to save themselves at the last minute?

That is an unusual dream experience, TF (seems better than calling you "The Fool"). I don't think I've EVER had a dream where I've switched perspectives. I've been debating for some time about doing a guided meditation with my hypnotherapist regarding the "unfinished" dream. I don't know why I've been so hesitant about it; maybe there's something there. I'm not sure how much of a dream expert he is, though we've touched on the subject before. I might have to ask him about your perspective changing dream. Intriguing.

As far as "almost dying in a dream" - yeah, been through a few of them. I save myself rather frequently, as I have a lot of lucid-dreaming periods, and that gives one a measure of control, though I usually just force myself awake if it's too terrifying of a nightmare.

A number of years ago, 9 or 10, I was going through a difficult period (long story) and my doctor prescribed Remeron, an anti-depressant. Well, the only thing it did for me was make me eat and sleep....and not dream.

I know that scientists say that we ALL dream, every night, but don't always remember them. Some people remember more than others (obviously I'm one of the remember a lot more type of people), but for somebody to say "Oh, I never dream" isn't accurate. The brain dreams on purpose, even if we don't know what that purpose is.

However, I truly believe that the Remeron eliminated my dreaming. I didn't like being on the drug anyway: it didn't help, I gained 35 pounds in 2 months, and always felt like I was merely an observer in my own body. I felt so disconnected when I was awake. And the drug really knocked me out at night: I would sleep so hard, for so long, if I didn't need to get up, I would just sleep. But no dreams.

Perhaps it is true, that I just did not remember my dreams. It was a very strange sensation, after 2.5 decades of always remembering dreams and very vivid technicolor dreams at that, to suddenly have no recollection at all. I felt...well, quite honestly I felt like I did not know who I was.

We stopped the medication. It wasn't doing any good, and the side effects (non-stop eating & sleeping) were VERY concerning and bothersome (and that's an understatement). As soon as I weaned off the drug, my appetite returned to normal, all of the weight melted off me as quickly as I'd put it on, and my sleep habits stabilized.

But the dreams did not return. It was a full YEAR after I stopped taking Rememon that I started dreaming (or, as a scientist would correct me, once again remembering my dreams). However, the lack of dreaming after being on that drug scared me to death. I felt cheated, or more like robbed, as if a special, sacred part of ME had been forcibly taken. I almost felt as if I'd been violated.

But the did return, thankfully, and once they did it was as if they'd never been gone. That experiece is one of the reasons I'm VERY hesitant with medications, as I don't want to lose that part of myself ever again.