Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

1988 (Newsletter)

1988!

I picked this year very carefully. I rolled a die. My goal was to find a year in the 80s and talk about the games then and see what's funny / interesting about them. I think a picture says a thousand words.

Yeah that is right, 1988 was the very first John Madden... and ... uh... this is the kind of picture you try to hunt down all copies of and burn.

On the sports theme, they were big in the 80s, was also Jordan Vs. Bird. For you kids; they were basketball players.

Leisure Suit Larry 2 graced us with its smut. The creator is a personal friend of Amanda and I, but please - no kids under 17, this title was "M" before there were even ratings for games.

Reach for the Stars made a huge impact for strategy fans. It was the first 4x strategy game (Civilization) and paved the way for tons of strategy games of the future.

Here's a confusing one: Super Mario Bros 2 and 3. According to Moby Games these came out in the same year!? My memory doesn't fit that at all so I checked the Wiki. Apparently SMB 2 came out in the USA in 1988 and Japan in 1992. SMB 3 came out in JAPAN in 1988 and the USA in 1990. They were BOTH released in October, which makes us wonder how you develop and release both the second and third game of a series simultaniously! No wonder they ended up so different.

Maybe most important was the release of the Sega Genesis. Oh, yes folks, once upon a time it was anyone's game who would come out on top, Nintendo or Sega. Sega set an interesting precident that still holds true today: The most technically advanced console is pretty much doomed to failure... frankly, because it costs more both to purchase AND to develop on.

Want a list of failed "Next gen consoles?" Oh yes you do!

Generation 3: Winner NES. Loser: Sega Master System

Generation 4: Winner: Sega Genesis / SNES Loser: Sega CD (First CD system)

Generation 5: Winner: Playstation Loser: 3DO (Most advanced console of its day @ a $700 price)

Generation 6: Winner: Playstation 2 Loser: Sega Dreamcast (First 128 bit system & internet)

Generation 7: This is the current generation. Unclear who's really on top or if there's a big loser. The most technically advanced is the PS3, and by most counts it is this generation's biggest loser, thus continuing the trend.

You can see by the above table why Sega went bust. In the mix of these "Console wars" which started in 1988 with the release of the first real competition there were plenty of half-winners and major losers, ranging from (on the winning side) the N64 / Gamecube and (on the losing side) the Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Neo Geo, turbo Grafx 16, and so many others.

Got a memory of 1988 (or want to tell me how I am wrong and the Neo Geo really was the best console?)

Lets talk about it!

Ooooh. No wonder why I don't hear much from Sega nowadays. I still see some of their games in the arcades though.

Speaking of games, I had a lot of games, but I sold every non-GBA or non-DS games for a couple of bucks. ^^ All I need is a new NDS (it got flooded). >_< [link]

I may not be born in 1988, but I do remember something my grandparents used to tell me. It was the first when the National Cancer Survival Day was held.

wow! 1988 was my first year of uni :)

I didn't know anything about any of those systems :( You should all assume I was busy studying ;)

I do see why there's an inner desire to burn those posters though ...

I think it was about that year that my family bought a NES. We never had any of the others so I don't have any way to compare. But the NES still works more or less. It usually requires a few smacks and blowing the dust out of the game cartridges a few times.

A strange note on the NES. In Japan it was called the Famicom and it was top loading, like the SNES. The top loading system prevented that whole blowing / jiggling / smacking / using a paperweight syndrom the US NES had. Why we got the crappy version is still a mystery.

The problems you experience with an NES are due to the copper connectors not making proper contact. Humidity from your breath is what makes it work best- as well as blowing removing any dust particles. However, rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab will make it function every time... more or less.

Maybe next time we'll do 1998 for you youngins! :D

The problems you experience with an NES are due to the copper connectors not making proper contact.

I'm sure having both of my brothers dismantle it more than once with a few parts left over doesn't help either. But either way, I'm still surprised that it works.

I can't believe how many members are saying they weren't born yet/just born in 1988. Sheesh. (Well, I was only 11 :))

I was a Sega (Mastersystem and Genesis) kid. I still remember Spellcaster, my first RPG that got me hooked on the genre.

Regarding Super Mario 2 and Super Mario 3 being developed at the same time: Super Mario 2 wasn't really "developed"; it already existed as another game! Few people know this.

Nintendo did have a SM2 developed and ready to go, but they determined it was too difficult and too similar to the original Super Mario. So, they took an already existing Japanese game and changed the sprites to Mario characters. The original game was called Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic.

And what happened to the real Super Mario 2? In the US, that was released as Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels.

@arggie: hey gramps lol

my first rpg was probably Wonder Boy.

Still works surprisingly well. O_o!

The only thing messed up bout our mastersystem is that the laser gun doesn't work anymore. Every time we use it, it goes off screen. :(

Ah, memories! I still feel a little sentimental at the thought of my beloved Sega Mega Drive and Game Gear, still packed away somewhere. I waited so very long to afford them. I once learned about the rare White Gear, Japanese only, I believe. You could watch TV on the GG, with the tuner. I had a Master System adapter for both my systems and rented a new game every week.

I loved Wonder Boy III and so did my nephew, who naturally got through it much quicker than I did. But Shining Force ruled the roost. There's no better game, or series of games. How I wish I could have played at least Scenario 1 of the Saturn version, but never had the opportunity.

For you young whippersnappers, DOS thinks Tuesday 1 January 1980 is the first day of creation. Wouldn't surprise me if Windows XP's and possibly even 7's system prompt still holds the same belief!

wasn't alive. :D

my mom was just graduating college (i think). my dad, same thing (though i think he stayed longer)

is there a thread for later years? cuz i have a hilarious story to tell that happened in 1994.

oh, anyway, i think around this time my mom' friend was taking that pic of her at the graduation. just a picture? i don't think so.

long story short, my dad saw that pic when he was looking for a girl (my mom's friends worked with him), and my dad's like "oh, she looks cute and nice. i would like to meet her!"

ten years later? i come along. anyone believe in fate?

fate? no. the implications of fate are really disturbing and not for the faint of heart.

@gailP: i remember dos. learned how to type on it and did my elementary school hw using a computer with it lol. The loadup was so slow that I memorized the correct keys to press so that loadup was as 'automatic' as I could possibly make it.

hey, if my parent's get together story ain't fate, i don't know what is. just think, if she hadn't forgotten her keys to the apartment inside the apartment, i would have never been born!

there are way to many coincidences in my parent's meeting and love to be NOT fate.

@pink: *shrugs* I don't believe in fate. The implications of fate troubles me enough that I rather not think of it at all actually.

Reasoning: Let's take the holocaust. Going by 'everything must happen because of fate/for a reason', than all those victims were fated to die horrible deaths. That was their fate and there was nothing they can do to change it. And if you extend it even further to anyone who died a meaningless/violent/etc. death or suffered greatly [ie rape, beaten, handicap, getting cancer, etc.]... well fate is extremely cruel.

oh gosh, i don't believe in full-out-everything-happens-for-a-reason-this-was-fated-to-happen-every-breath-that-you-take-is-fate kind of fate! no, i just think that the way my parents met, a few lucky coincidences in my life, i think every once in a while fate intervenes. but i am also a strong believer in free will. sometimes i encounter a situation where something tells me i am fated to do this, but i know in my gut that i have a choice as whether or not i want to.

@pink: the problem with that is imo, fate is either an all or nothing. Either it exist, or it doesn't. Having it exist for some while not existing for others is a double standard type of ideology and is just to justify why your situation is okay or not.

What you're describing sounds like it has less to do with fate, and more like divine intervention (ie god, allah, etc.) who are allowed to show favors.

But, that's my opinion obviously and I think we're going horribly off track.

lol. yeah, we kinda are. ur opinion is your own, as is my mine. you don't have to see things my way, and neither do I. u hav good points. i would start a thread about it, but i think it would just result in me either a) getting all flustered and defensive over a comment (been there, done that, huh?) or B) me getting infinite replies, me not having time to read them all, and the topic getting way out of hand and pointless (in my case).

back to 1988 please!

I don't know if it was exactly 1988...but...my kids had the nintendo track and field game about that time with the running pad.

I made them play it downstairs because they ran and jumped on that thing so hard that I could picture them jumping a hole into the floor and falling into the kitchen. :D

The game name was World Class Track Meet - unless you were really lucky and managed to grab one of the rare games that had a different title and was the same game.

And come on, they weren't running on it, they would jump off it entirely and use their hands as feet so they could run super fast.

Interestingly enough it wasn't really until the Wii Fit (two years ago, ish) that Nintendo (or any other company) attempted to market an aerobic game.

Impressive Whoop- I had to look it up but you hit it dead on. The Powerpad was released in the US in 1988!