Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
KTC

Turning a previously VERY R comic/anime into a pg13 real life - yay or nay?

http://www.comicvine.com/news/akira-film-might-be-rated-pg-13/141462/

Does turning a previously strong R rated anime/comic into a PG13 one ruin the integrity of the comic/anime?

I've never read Akira but I've watched the movie and its definitely in a high R territory, completely with raping, hecka blood, a kid morphing into a monster, drugs, guns, hard swearing, crushing this girl in monster guts *shudders*, and other non pg13 stuff.

I'm not really seeing how pg13 can turn all that (above) into something recognizable as Akira.

It would be like trying to make Berserk (the goriest, most violent and disturbing manga I've ever read. Yet there's something just there that will keep you reading until you have no chapters left. Or I'm just more messed up in the head than I realized) PG13 which really doesn't compute.

I still see no reason for a violent anime? comic should be toned down for the purpose of 13 year olds.

I have watched Akira and yes, it is violent but I still see no reason why a 13 year old kid would like to see a movie with no violence. The violence is a huge part of the plot. No violence, Little storyline

It depends on the story. For example, had 4kids done a better job in Dragonball (not Z or any other letter... the original Dragonball) of covering Goku's burgers w/ stuff that fits into the scene (& doesn't teleport around) then that wouldn't have detracted or distracted from the story imo.

but other times, the censorship takes away from the plot or the character, and that shouldn't be done.

(also, in the 'states, there's this stigma against animation that says it has to be for kids. Akira was written for adults well into their 40's. [Link] ...ok, possibly late 20's but you get my drift.)

I agree with Wolfie in that it depends, though more than just story. It depends on what they intend to censor and how that impacts the delivery of the story. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with Akira (heard of it, never seen it) so I'll reference something else ^^

Take, for example, the original DiC dub of Sailor Moon. In North America, it was targeted towards kids, but in Japan, it was for an older crowd (not adults, but by no means kids).

Some of the things they censored didn't really impact it a whole lot (for example, censoring some of the more lewd jokes, such as the one about Lita's "talent" ), but I remember at the end of the first arc of the original anime, all the Senshi except for Sailor Moon were killed. In the dub, they were simply captured. Not only was I aware that it was probably more than that (I was freaking six years old and I still figured it out), it also lessened the emotional impact of it all, such as when Sailor Moon was grieving for them or when they were reincarnated.

So, yeah, two instances of censorship but different results.

Aeternus: I think I've seen that episode. O.o Or a similar instance of censorship b/c I remember being confused as to what they were greiving about... It seemed so out of character b/c normally they'd just go rescue them.

...also, this thought amused me & I felt like sharing: You know Sanji's lollipop in one piece? (It's a cigarette in the original) I wonder when they're gonna go the sesame street route and censor their censor with something that won't ruin your diet.

@wolfie: i'm talking bout turning it into a real life/live action movie, not bringing the anime over to the states.

And I really doubt they would import Akira as a kids anime. That's just stupid as than you'll have to practically edit everything.

I mean, look what they did to yugioh: edit guns, swearing, blood, dying scenes out. And yugioh wasn't that bad to begin with in the 'adult' department.

(one of the worst case of US ruining things was warrior of the wind[scroll down to releases]. Seriously, just look at that VHS cover. It had NOTHING to do with the movie!

)

Dragonball z is a horrible example as the real life movie was bad even if you don't follow dragonball z anime.

I'm scarred for life. There are no words for what that thing trying to be sailor moon was.(note will not call it sailor moon)

Changing something to suite a audience that it was never attended for will ruin it and it will leave holes and just be below sub par.

They did it with lovely bones, and the golden compass. They were no were near as good as the books.

I love how there are different kinds of manga with different kinds of stories. You don't have that typical Superman/Spiderman/Batman...everything-man American comic syndrome. So there are romance/love genre, horror/mystery, adventure, shoujo etc. There are manga/Anime for children and there are for teens and even older. Come on everyone knows that there's even hentai genre. Those PG13, PG17 etc. aren't there for making the DVD or anime/manga web page prettier -_-'

I've never read/seen Akira, I've always had more tempting things on my list to read and watch so maybe that's why but I've heard that it's PG17, which means probably violence, naked bodies and bad language..three words NOT FOR CHILDREN!

What's wrong with those movie making companies in USA? They just doesn't have any original ideas and creativity anymore. No wonder that I watch less and less movies every year and stick with the older classics and foreign movies. They ruined DB (btw I'm talking about the movie..the live movie with American actors, not DB anime movies), they announced the black Spiderman thing and now this. What the hell o.O

Like I said there are different genres. If you just don't have an escape and you just have to ruin a good manga/anime story and make a PG13 movie (which will probably suck), use a story that fits that age. There are million anime/manga that are children rated, why the hell does it have to be something like Akira or any PG17 anime/manga -_-' What's next? Elfen Lied and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?

If you just don't have an escape and you just have to ruin a good manga/anime story and make a PG13 movie (which will probably suck), use a story that fits that age. There are million anime/manga that are children rated, why the hell does it have to be something like Akira or any PG17 anime/manga -_-

Easy. They want to reach a larger demographic so they must make it more accessible through changing the rating. It's all about money and marketing.

They did it with lovely bones, and the golden compass. They were no were near as good as the books.

Haven't seen these, either, but it might have more to do with other things than about whatever they censored. (Just trying to play Devil's Advocate here xD)

The us (or frankly anyone who's been influenced by disney's 'brainwashing' ;) ) Just isn't a good market for anime. (the exception being people who go watch the subbed versions anyway)

Aeternus-*slaps head* thank you for enlightening me on why Serena was so upset during that battle. I remember not really getting it when I watched it as a kid (why would she be crying now when her friends are just captured!). That makes SO much more sense that they actually were killed.

So where would be the best place to find 'real' versions of manga? I don't imagine local video stores have that kind of stuff. Downloads? Where can I download legitimately (not ripping someone off)?

@Jayshe- As long as the animes were once freely available on TV or are freely available on TV on some channel, I see no reason why you should not download it off the web

@Jayshe

Glad I was able to help? xD

It appears that the companies that licensed Sailor Moon for North America have lost the rights to them (they expired) and it doesn't look like anyone is picking them up again. You could probably do some Googling around for any subbed anime or scanlated manga - they're probably floating around somewhere. If you're interested, there might still even be clips of the Senshi's deaths on YouTube.

The us (or frankly anyone who's been influenced by disney's 'brainwashing' ) Just isn't a good market for anime. (the exception being people who go watch the subbed versions anyway)

Well, there's the lingering perception in North America that anything animated is for children. My parents still think it's childish for me to watch anime, and my dad will argue against seeing an amazing movie by Pixar in order to see a lesser live-action movie just because he perceives animated films/shows to be inferior to an adult viewer. Even amongst my friends, anime is seen as kinda geeky xD

So, in the case of Akira, intentionally lowering its rating to PG-13 from an R would allow a larger demographic to watch it, therefore larger audiences and more profit. If it was limited to an R release, they would already cut off a large portion of the younger crowd from seeing it; yet, only a small portion of that crowd will have heard of Akira and be interested in seeing a live-action version of it (I mean, look at the mess that was Dragonball Z!)

Aeternus wrote:

The us (or frankly anyone who's been influenced by disney's 'brainwashing' ) Just isn't a good market for anime. (the exception being people who go watch the subbed versions anyway)

Well, there's the lingering perception in North America that anything animated is for children. My parents still think it's childish for me to watch anime, and my dad will argue against seeing an amazing movie by Pixar in order to see a lesser live-action movie just because he perceives animated films/shows to be inferior to an adult viewer. Even amongst my friends, anime is seen as kinda geeky xD

So, in the case of Akira, intentionally lowering its rating to PG-13 from an R would allow a larger demographic to watch it, therefore larger audiences and more profit. If it was limited to an R release, they would already cut off a large portion of the younger crowd from seeing it; yet, only a small portion of that crowd will have heard of Akira and be interested in seeing a live-action version of it (I mean, look at the mess that was Dragonball Z!)

xP that's what I meant by disney's 'brainwashing'... for a while they were the only company to do animation and they really wanted that 'family friendly' image (even while controlling other franchises that made R-rated stuff haha)... and that while was long enough to cause that perception. :Tongue:

I wish they'd just go ahead & release it as an R movie b/c that might help cut those perceptions down a bit... Esp since that medium allows so much more freedom for creativity (b/c you're not limited by what special effects you can afford... drawing a bug-like alien costs as much as a human shaped one with gills), it's wasted by just doing stuff for the little kids where those effects are seen as too gruesome.

there are already a lot of anime with such genre, and some of them really stand out with the art, it also has the "stories", not the usual one.. but I dunno with Akira..

@Aeternus:

I'm so glad they tried to keep the original meaning in German dub, they killed every one in the right place xD I've watched a couple of episodes in English (the US version yes) and it was HORRIBLE o_o Extremely HORRIBLE. Like H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.

@Wolfie:

You have no idea how long it took for me to get the thing about Son Goku's burgers xD Because also in German version they were free as birds so I somehow thought about REAL burgers :laughing: I just feel so slow sometimes ;)

I hate what they did to Dragonball in Dragonball Evolution. It was sooooo terrible I can't even describe it. I can understand turning it to be American but everything else. Especially Son Goku turning to Oozary without his tail. Aaaaaargh.

I've never seen these movies, but from the descriptions, I would wonder if it's worth it.

If Akira's story line has violence, then maybe it could be toned down, but I think that movies for adults might as well stay for adults.

Gives you something to look forward to, eh?

Anime is simple more entertaining to me when the original artists are allowed to have their work portrayed in the style and for the age group that they created it for.

But I am a freak for anything anime, and don't consider most of what appears on television here to be good examples of the art.

Being a 57 year old woman I don't just watch it blindly. It is like any other art form: It must have a legitimate plot based reason for the sex,drugs, violence or even the beauty that is potrayed in it or I have the ability to turn it off.

Okay, I have seen every episode of Avatar.

And I liked them.

Maybe you should have a poll on the yey or nay thing, KTC?