Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jayshe

World Cup

It's down to the final 16 now, with Uruguay moving on and the US just eliminated. I'm overall not a huge soccer fan but in general love sport. Even though I'm not overly into soccer, I'm completely fascinated by the World Cup. Is there anything else out there that brings countries from around the world leveled out onto one platform? Is there anything else that can unite an entire country together to put their differences aside and root for their side? I pretty much feel the same way about the Olympics, but there is something about the World Cup that I think (and this is a huge gasp on my part) might be even better. Is anyone else out there watching and caring?

I don't really watch the World Cup, I just follow the results to have conversation topics. XD I guess we humans need something exciting in our lives every once in a while, even if it takes 22 men chasing after a football to achieve that XD

meh, US out. *tunes out*

as for entire country drawn together= ???

no idea what you're talking as US is still a mess of divisions. lol.

Even the Olympics isn't free from irritating politics and backstabbing.

The world cup can be fun to watch sometimes and is even better if you find an enthusiastic crowd. There should be some interesting games tomorrow and hopefully good play. :)

KTC wrote:

Even the Olympics isn't free from irritating politics and backstabbing.

I agree with this very much, you know.

On the World Cup thingy, I pretty much stopped caring when Germany beat the hell out of Australia. Not that anyone expects Australia to win, though...

I'm a huge soccer fan and have been watching the games as often as I can, though I could do without the vuvuzela. It sounds like they're playing in a giant bee hive.

As a kid I was way into soccer, though I played more than watched others play... W/ the excitement over the world cup this year, I'm kinda starting to get back into it.

The times of the matches I'm interested in always seem to be at the same time as I have class so I haven't been watching but I follow my teams' progress as best as I can understand the rankings. (I'm probably looking at the wrong place)

It looks like Serbia's been knocked out some time ago and Germany is advancing to the semifinals... I think? haha

as for entire country drawn together= ???

no idea what you're talking as US is still a mess of divisions. lol.

Well, perhaps not the U.S. ^^ I think the U.S. is a bit more fanatical with the likes of (American) football or baseball, whereas other countries (like England or Brazil, for example) may have a greater enthusiasm for soccer, just as Canadians have a great enthusiasm for hockey.

Honestly, I don't follow soccer very much - this year, I'm just tracking the results to have something to talk about with my soccer-crazy friends - but it's lots of fun seeing and listening to the crowds of soccer fans, all cheering and waving flags, being united despite being complete strangers. It really lifts your spirits :D

KTC: in terms of drawing countries together my thinking was more along the lines of sport in general (on a world platform) vs. World Cup specifically (I wasn't very clear!). Yes, the US may be just too big and too fractured.

I had the pleasure to be backpacking Europe during the World Cup and it was amazing-soccer fans from all over the world sought out their 'country' bars or restaurants and came together for each game. Most countries dedicated large screens in city squares for the public to come together to watch their squad. The media spoke of little else. It was an incredible experience, and short of a war, I can't think of what else can have the effect of bringing the people of a country together to support the same thing. (Obviously war can also have the opposite effect as well!)

As Aeturnus said with Canada and hockey, the night the men's hockey team won gold in Vancouver sure felt like the country came together for that moment in time. Does it mean anything in the long run? Probably not. Does everyone get involved? No. But it sure is cool to experience!

Aisling-your comment made me laugh. I think you are completely right!

@Jayshe: You don't need to go to Europe to see those kinds of soccer fans. I lived near Toronto during the last World Cup and saw fans of almost every country that was playing. I miss that kind of experience. Saskatoon's pretty dead during the World Cup, occasionally you'll run into a soccer fun but not like Toronto.

Though, if I remember correctly, I don't need to tell you how Toronto is. You live around there, right?

Edit: By the way, what do people think about the use of video replay for soccer? I used to referee so I understand the hesitation to use it in the game. One argument is that it would slow the flow of the game, which I get, but I think there's also a concern that it will challenge the authority of the referee. Calling things often depend on being at the right place, at the right time to see it and can also requires a degree of interpretation. For example, what happens if the ref sees a foul but it can't be seen in a video replay? It could useful for goals and maybe for offside calls, that one can be a pain when players are moving fast. Offside is one of those things that you really have to be in the right position and paying attention to multiple players and the ball.

But overall, I think the hesitation really comes down to the challenge to the referee's authority. There's a general understanding that what the ref says, goes, even if he makes a mistake which happens since they're human.

I'm a fan of soccer as i used to play it. I still do when i have others to play with. Haha. But for some reason, i haven't been able to watch a single game of the world cup. Huh. I'm getting weird again. :D

@mizzou

i understand what you're saying about the video replay. but then again, cameramen sometimes get lucky in capturing a foul that a referee didn't see. You're right, the refs are humans so they're entitled to make mistakes. it just gets ugly when rabid fans, sometimes players too, start making noises and thus challenge the authority of the ref. but for me that's part of the game and the series. It an additional excitement to just watching "22 men chasing after a football," as aisling said. ;D

I am all for video replay in every sport, but on a very limited basis.

Here's an example for soccer that I think could work well: Replay would only be used in a goal scoring situation. Each side would get one challenge per half to dispute a goal/no goal call (whether it be due to offsides, foul, whatever). To make sure this doesn't get abused, you could even add that if the side challenging in the first half is wrong, and the ref was correct, then they lose their second half challenge.

(This is fairly similar to American football video replay use.)

@Argoyle: I think if video replay is ever used in soccer, it would be an EXTREMELY limit basis, like whether or not the ball crossed the line and ONLY assist the referees when they're in doubt, kind of like how it is used in hockey. The referee can review a play when the puck is in the net but a team cannot ask for a review. I really don't see it being used so a team can make a challenge since it could be seen as challenging the role of the referee. The actual wording in the rulebook states that the referee has "full authority" and it often uses the term "in his [the referee] opinion", definitely not 'in the opinion of a video camera' or 'in the opinion of the team that just got scored against.'

With the video replay for this cup, the referees call on goals is final, but yellow card calls have an appeal process and the replays are looked at in detail. I think they seem to use the replay as a way for fans to catch the action in case they missed the goal.

I would trust technology more than what a flawed/bias *deletes stronger word* ref Saids.

(No I'm not bitter. really. *mumbles about tarring and feathering a certain world cup ref*)

As for rule books: *shrugs* rules can be change, evident by how someone/group had to write the dang thing in the first place so they were not set down by god(s).

Its really fun to watch and im rooting for Germany or Brazil for now... Germany preferably...

Mizzou wrote:

I'm a huge soccer fan and have been watching the games as often as I can, though I could do without the vuvuzela. It sounds like they're playing in a giant bee hive.

You can filter out the sound if you are hearing the tone from your computer. Otherwise just connect your audio to your computer and have it play the match while filtering out the frequencies. You can just search online as there are many solutions.

Oh and yeah some channels do filter out the frequency on their own so you can switch to those as well :)

I've been rooting for Germany or Argentina, though I'm torn since they'll be playing each other in the quarter-final.

I know about the filter for the computers but I usually watch on the TV while using my computer for work. As much as I want to watch the games, I still need to get work done. As for the channels that filter it, don't have any.

Now if only they would filter out those annoying sports commentators. :P

@Mizzou-good memory! I do know Toronto soccer fans...especially with TFC there :) I did however just move to Ottawa at the beginning of May (slightly unexpectedly-which put a huge damper on my beta testing) and there's not quite the same mass of soccer fans here!

As to video replay I don't completely get Blatter's argument. I understand that he doesn't want to stop the flow of the game, however if you add on video replay for contentious goals, the play has stopped anyhow for the goal itself. I'm glad that he's finally opening up to goal line technology, but that doesn't go far enough in terms of what the majority of the outcries are about. Without video replay, France would still have qualified (which they obviously shouldn't have) and Argentina's goal would still count against Mexico...let alone the goal that was called back against the US in qualifying... Anyhow, I do believe that the flow of the game is integral and that you can't start questioning all calls...but at least for goals, where there's already a stoppage in play, what can the harm be in replaying anything that's contentious?

@KTC:

As for rule books: *shrugs* rules can be change.

I didn't notice that you said this before but it made me laugh. Sure FIFA can change the rules but rarely do they make drastic changes, especially regarding the roles of the referees.

Also, a lot of the referees that I've worked with don't like big changes. It reminded me of the times when the local high school league tried to make some changes to how the referee run the game like replacing the assistant referees' flags with whistles or requiring the referee to sign the exact type of foul (tripping, pushing, hitting, handball, etc) along with the standard blow the whistle and indicate the direction. Needless to say it did not go over well.

@mizzou: People don't like changes, that's always a given.

So?

Name one sport-scratch that, name one anything-that has been exactly the same (ie same rules, traditions, etc.) ever since it started. Also, the rules were written before the technology was available. It would be rather interesting to see what the rules would have said if the technology was present, which would be now. Perhaps its time for the rules to get a lil bit of update with the times.

But back to the ref: A ref is human and makes mistakes and in some cases, really really bad calls. Having the technology there is either going to verify what the ref said or not. If the ref's call was bad, he really shouldn't be a ref. What is the use of having an incompetent idiot reffing a game? If the call was good, than it verifies his competence.

So I'm not really seeing where the big issue is. It's a win win situation to me.

off note: what cha guys think of the new uber science-y soccer/football ball? Heard the brits don't like it.

If the ref's call was bad, he really shouldn't be a ref. What is the use of having an incompetent idiot reffing a game? If the call was good, than it verifies his competence.

Using that logic, then no one should referee. Referees are human, they make mistakes even the competent ones. Good luck trying to go 90 minutes , making hundreds of decisions, and not make ONE mistake. Unfortunately, some are worse than others. But speaking from my own experience and from others that I know, the more experienced referees do put in a lot of time and effort to improve their skills but even then mistakes still happen from time to time and most of them do feel bad about it when it does.

I'm not totally against the use of technology for refereeing, it's more about the extent that it will be used, if it is (FIFA has agreed to reconsider its stance). In some aspects, it could work but in others, not so much. It needs to be incorporated in away that fits with the style of game and not because 'that's how another sport does it so they should too' (that was the reason the high schools wanted whistles and more signals). Besides, with technology or not, you still need people who are making the calls.

Re the new ball, there's generally been complaints about the new balls for the World Cup, so I'm not that surprised that there are complaints with this one. Whenever they make changes, it can affect how the ball moves. The ball seems to be getting faster with the changes.

@mizzou:

No human ref: I would be very interested in a no human all machine ref game and see how a machine would handle it. The idea of it is intriguing since a machine only does what its programmed to so in theory, it should make little to no mistakes. I wonder if we have that type of AI technology yet as last I heard its fairly rudimentary. So a no human ref game? Sounds good to me. lol.

But, since Fifa has decided to stay in the dark ages and compensate with more humans, bah humbug.

Quote:

off note: what cha guys think of the new uber science-y soccer/football ball? Heard the brits don't like it.

Hilarious comment. No, the Brits don't like it but there's been complaints from most of the teams about it. I think it's the ball coupled with the elevation in South Africa that's affected ball speed. Apparently the elevation is also supposed to decrease the amount of spin on the ball which causes the change of motion when the ball hits so I think Adidas made an effort to design a ball with increase spin to offset the elevation. Goalies don't like spin!!

@KTC

It's not just FIFA that doesn't use technology. Baseball doesn't use instant replay or cameras either. It relies just on the umpires.

Though, there are some people who want instant replay in baseball since umps make bad calls from time to time. But the opposition to it say it'd make the game much longer. (Baseball games generally go about 2 to 2 and a half hours, with no extra innings.)