Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

Return from Seattle (Newsletter)

A special event happened in Seattle at Amaranth HQ, also known as The Cheesecake Factory. I got a giant cake. No, that isn't the special event, but it's true. We met up with a long time Amaranth fan and forum-goer, Tei. Her mom came too. We managed to scrape together Me, Amanda, and Aaron Walz and headed out for some serious celebrity style action. My girlfriend was there too!

So what did you miss out on for this exclusive lunch? Well for starters, great food! Perhaps I can regail you with the story of me shooting edamame (Soybeans) at Amanda. Perhaps it was Aaron attempting to lick the chocolate syrup out of the creamer bowl. No no, these items were all trivial when compared to Tei and Aaron spontaneously breaking out in a show tune at a level loud enough to have attracted quite an audience. It didn't, thankfully, but I am pretty certain there were a great many people looking in our direction. If only I had a video camera...

We learned a lot about Tei and her mom. They're quite crafty ... not in the evil mustache way, but that they make a lot of crafts. The food was good, the company was great, and all in all we were completely at odds on giving Tei advice on what to take in college to become a superstar game designer. I say business, Amanda says writing, Aaron stared wistfully at the ceiling and said to move to San Francisco.

Got any advice for Tei on fun college classes? Wish to express jealousy and rage that you weren't invited? Chat it up!

(More pictures may be coming)

From left to right: Tei, Amanda, Aaron!

+1 for jealous that I wasn't invited ... though it doesn't look like there'd be room there for too many more :)

Tei, unless you're going to get someone else to do your coding, a couple of programming classes wouldn't go astray. A very basic one, then one that teaches you about some data structures and a little object oriented programming - even if you never program in that language again, the concepts you'll learn will translate to a lot of other languages.

Sounds like you all had a great time :)

The food was so good Aaron spoke only to sing... nah he was quite chatty. I think he was confused in this picture because I took one a second before that but it came out too dark.

The food was so good Aaron spoke only to sing... nah he was quite chatty. I think he was confused in this picture because I took one a second before that but it came out too dark.

Oh and a side note: We actually considered putting together an entire Amaranth public meetup, but since it was taking place during a show we weren't sure how much time we'd have and we felt it would be more fun to talk to someone than to fail to talk to a dozen people in the short time we could spare for lunch.

There may be a public "Northwest" meetup in the future if there's enough interest. :)

Ohey, Northwest meetup! Here I was just asking about whether or not it's a good idea for amaranthia to have a public meetup.

About Tei's college classes... Why not just go right ahead and take Game programming?

Aww... so cute, so jealous!!! I wish I could go, except that I'm no where near Seattle and... yeah, that's the main reason XD Aaron and Tei reminds me of Giselle and Edward of Enchanted, the way you said they keep breaking into song XD

So that is what Amanda looks like - it's nice to put a face to the name, as that often doesn't happen with long-distance communication.

Congratulations to Tei for having the luck to have lunch with two such distinguished people. Obviously a wonderful time was had by all, including Tei's mum. Lucky lady. :)

Good luck to Tei for future studies. I am slightly jealous of anyone who has the opportunity to go to university. Perhaps it's time I finally did something about it. After all, there are plenty of part-time and correspondence courses these days. :)

I USED to live in the seattle area. I wish I still did...

For college, I would study programming. Just plain old programming. Indie game development does not promise riches, or even promise that you'll make money at all. Because of that, game programming is a risk. On the other hand, if you studying programming, you can get a well paying job as a programmer and make indie games on the side, until you do well enough to go full time.

That's my plan anyway.

Wow! I'm super jealous D: Wish I could have gone, too, but alas, I'm one of those people who don't live anywhere near Seattle.

@TheFool

Don't worry, you are never forgotten ;)

Ah, but your identity is a closely-guarded secret! Who is the Fool? Noticed you were hiding behind the camera and not in front of it. I thought, 'curses, foiled again!' :)