Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonRedSky

ATTENTION! DON'T BECOME A VICTIM

Well, have you ever heard of the Nigerian Scam? My family members been affected by this, the reason being it comes up with one of your friends/relatives names, and it says "Urgent." The message goes like this:

"I'm in a hurry writing this message, I need your assistance urgently. I could barely think straight at this point. I had a trip here in United Kingdom on a mission. I am presently in Yorkshire and I am having some difficulties. I misplaced my bag and other valuable things on my way to the hotel where i lodge. I feel so ashamed because i am so stranded and idle. I'd like you to help me out with a loan of $2,500 to pay my hotel bills and also return back home. I will refund the money to you as soon as I get back, I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively. let me know if you can be of any help.I don't have a phone where i can be reached at this point.

I will await your earliest response

(your friends/relatives first name)" So if you see a message like this DELETE it IMMEDIATELY!

It can be a random location, but this one was "Yorkshire, England" but it can also be "Ontario, Canada" or anywhere!

Just giving a heads up.

Well, you shouldn’t have opened it. Yah I got that e-mail too but it was automatically stored in my junk mail, and got deleted 7 days later. Ppl like that have nothing better to do with their lives, so they send crap around the internet, just for the fun of it, when it’s not funny at all. Was it a virus or something? I mean u mentioned your family members were affected by it.

As always, if you're not sure... do a search (via your choice of search site) on the internet for a sentence from the message you are sent. The odds are (as in this case) it will show up as a scam.

I get these all the time... and most everyone does. The reason... because for every million messages they send out... perhaps ten will get replies with money!

I too got a similar Nigerian scam once with my brothers name in it... they had me going there for a second, 'till they stated in the mail that my brother had money to leave to me... I know my brother, he's never had a dime in his life so... clearly, they've got the wrong guy ;)

The internet is a great tool, but one that can, and often is used in nefarious ways.

Browse safely! :)

It's quite strange how they find that stuff out...

But it seems like the majority of spam I get are "Hot Women in Your Area are Waiting to Meet You!" And I'm like 'I'm a girl who likes guys, thanks.' You would think that they would target better.... Oh, wait, I forgot, everyone on the internet is male. :facepalm:

@ashen,

"Oh, wait, I forgot, everyone on the internet is male."

When did that happen?? XD oh and for the record, here on amaranthia, the dominating sex is female,

so that "statement" is not precisely correct.

That's another common scam that I've heard about, though sometimes people will hack an individual's facebook account and post messages about being stranded somewhere and needing money.

Well, sadly, when people first get a computer (esp. young kids) they have no idea how dangerous the internet could be until they get some crazy virus... I have to admit when I got my first computer when I was little, I had no concept of Blue Screen Of Death or viruses... I just played around. Make sure you know the sites you are going on, and check to see if they are safe...

Norton has a safeweb that can be for anyone, who has norton or not. You can check a website with it at safeweb.norton.com but of course, it stops majority of threats, but there are also majority that are untested... Also note that if you just enter Amaranthia or cats it will automatically add ".com" so if it is a .net or .org website, you will have to type in the full address with the .net or the .org

I think Norton is very helpful with Internet Security, as it tells me some dangerous sites and safe sites. Amaranthia is declared as safe (Thank god, I still remember that stupid site that kept saying Amaranthia was unsafe)

Excuse me, i dont like the tag 'Nigerian scam'. Many pple all over the world do scam and cud use that format. Im a Nigerian and i dont quite enjoy this abuse to our reputation. I also receive such scam mails by the way. So you dont have to rub it in that you think Nigerians are scammers. The whole world scams. Thanks for ur eyes, :)

@D.Funky you are right, but I didn't mean any offense by it. It's just what most people call it.

And sorry if you are offended by it.

But anyways, I think they do get into a relatives/friend's facebook and hack it and then go around asking for 2,000 dollars. -_-

Yes I have had an e-mail saying it was the CIA and if i didnt give them some kind of personal info, they would come after me and crap. It sounded convincing, except the gov. doesn't email people like that. Those people will do anything to get your acct. number. Yes I have had the nigera emails too, everyone does, I also had one where someone was posing as an older person, and wanted to put 1 million dollars in my acct. so I could give the money away to what ever charity I wanted.

What intrigues me is that I always seem to get this spam mail from "someone" who happens to be from The Middle East and asks for my part in some business/whatever/cucumbers thing. But every and every time is some Arabic-like name.

@watershine: lol, that's where I live. Our prime-minister owns your money already ¬_¬

~Done with my rant~