Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
KTC

Glorifying Eco-Terrorism...wat?!

My sis loves Animal Planet.

Why is this relevant? Because she controls the remote control and commercials for Whale Wars are popping up every 10 seconds. It gets really annoying.

Here's a wiki link

But in a nutshell, you have japanese whalers vs. so called sea shepherds who's goal is to 'save' the whales.

Tactics include:

bombarding the whalers' ships with acid stuff, ramming their ships into whalers' ships,

boarding the whalers' ships illegally and than claim to be taken hostage (read: its called piracy).

And people are just eating this show up like candy as its already on its third season.

I was under the impression that terrorism was a baaaddd thing (as one can see from out 9+ years 'War on Terror' in the Mid East) and yet we have this TV show dedicated to terrorism.

So, is it okay to be fine with one form of terrorism but totally against another form terrorism?

And why is 'terror on other humans for whales' good while 'terror on other humans for your humans' evil?

I think there are other ways to stop the whole whaling process. Not sure what or how, but this terrorism doesn't help the cause at all, if you ask me.

I can always understand the reason for terrorism, but it's just wrong to achieve your goals in such a way.

@KTC

I honestly don't understand why Animal Planet airs that show. What the people are doing is clearly illegal.

If they want to stop Japan from hunting whales, that's fine. But the way they're going about it is completely wrong. They should be going through legal avenues.

Unfortunately, 'legal avenues' are on the whalers' side. There is an agreement between countries that each may hunt a certain number of whales each year, above those required for 'research' purposes. It is up to each country how much whaling they do, as long as they come in under that number. Some countries choose not to hunt whales even though they can. Japan is not one of them.

I agree the protesters' methods leave much to be desired. I wonder what effect acid spilled into the water is having on not only whales, but the rest of the marine life as well?

What are you talking about? The shepherds are doing the right thing!

Because spraying acids, creating noise by crashing ships, etc etc definitely won't disturb the marine lives.

@Shaz

That doesn't mean that can't change that. Illegally boarding ships isn't helping the anti-whalers. It's just helping the whalers.

Seeing as the japanese, not westerners, are the ones that you need to persuade to stop whaling, I don't see how harassing their ships is helping change their view.

Rather, its probably fortifying pro-whaling opinions and convincing neutrals to switch.

Not a good way to change an entire country to your thinking.

i think its a "noble" cause, in a sense. Asain countries, like japan, have an exception to the whaling laws because they claim whales for scientific research, but the majority of its not going into research, its going into other markets such as sushi, and the like. Civil disobedience is real, and its been used in the past to cause a great amount of change, for the better. Laws dont make things "right" or "wrong." But then again, we've been glamorizing Piracy for a long time. Pirates of the Caribbean anyone?

Illegally boarding ships isn't helping the anti-whalers. It's just helping the whalers.
In what universe? physically, its not helping the whalers at all, and we've already established that the Whale Wars is glorifying the act of piracy/eco-terrorism for a "noble" cause. if the show is reaching a generation who already has concerns about the environment we live in, even if they are westerners, its not helping the whalers at all. Even if it is ticking off the japanese. xD

@Nick

In what universe?

In our universe. One their ships are usually smaller than the whaling ships, so they're not really damaging the ships.

Two, illegally boarding their ships, just gives the whalers more fuel for their case. It's just going to get people to feel more sorry for the whalers than the anti-whalers.

...Whale Wars is glorifying the act of piracy/eco-terrorism for a "noble" cause.

Actually, no. You're the only one who brought in the noble part. Only thing that has been talked about is the glorifying ecoterrorism.

Civil disobedience is real, and its been used in the past to cause a great amount of change, for the better.

Civil disobedience =/= piracy. Civil disobedience requires the civil part as well as disobedience. In Whale Wars you just get the disobedient part.

Actually, no. You're the only one who brought in the noble part. Only thing that has been talked about is the glorifying ecoterrorism.
No i wasnt. xD I may have been the only person to use that specific word, but I wasnt the only one thinking, or portraying that.
The shepherds are doing the right thing!
While yes, it may not be desirable, but other people agree that its a good cause.

It's just going to get people to feel more sorry for the whalers than the anti-whalers.
I don't feel sorry for the whalers, do you? xD

@Nick

That person was being sarcastic. Did you miss this part ""? So yes, you were the only one to bring in the noble part.

I don't feel sorry for the whalers, do you? xD

I sure don't feel bad for the anti-whalers. With what they're doing I'm more likely to support the whalers than the anti-whalers. They're like PETA, they want to help, but they're going about it in the wrong way.

No one should commit terrorism, no matter what the cause. I agree with slim, there are other ways to solve problems. We need to deal with this in a civilized manner!