Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
mariedan11

My People and My Country - Our History

@Yuffie: The common terms for 'indians' that are used now are Native Americans in the US and First Nations in Canada. I used the term "status & non-status Indian" in my previous post since that's still the legal term used by the federal government. I didn't explain that in the previous post since I didn't want to confuse people.

What's funny, though, is that all Natives I've spoken to refer to themselves as Indians xD It's only everyone else that really calls them Natives or Aboriginals!

Anyway, I, too, am from Canada. It's hard to sum up the whole country, though, because it's incredibly diverse. I recently moved from southern Ontario to northern Ontario and even a "small" distance like that feels like I'm in a completely different place! The culture and "feel" of this city is very different from the places I've been in southern Ontario.

In any case, I think Canada is a wonderful country and us Canadians should take pride in it more. I loved the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics because the whole country felt united (for once!) in cheering on our athletes. I love how culturally diverse we are and that it doesn't matter where you're from, you will be accepted.

but what i love about the philippines is the fact that we have many tourist spots and natural sceneries. its just a shame that we, the ones who were supposed to be appreciating it, dont have the chance to see the beauty our country has. costs a lot of money and not all can afford travelling expenses

I think this happens anywhere! All my life, I lived near Toronto - a great city with lots of tourist attractions - and I never really visited these tourist places. I remember going to the CN Tower when I was very little but haven't gone inside since. It wasn't until I was about 18 that I visited the Royal Ontario Museum. I never visited any of the art galleries there. I didn't go to the malls there very often.

I also have a friend whose hometown is near the tourist town of Tobermory, Ontario, and when I put on Facebook that I went there, he told me that he had never actually gone there, despite it being practically in his backyard! He said that he would make a point to visit there...eventually xD

So, yeah, I think if it's right near you and always there, you tend not to take notice of it xD

Aeternus wrote:

@Yuffie: The common terms for 'indians' that are used now are Native Americans in the US and First Nations in Canada. I used the term "status & non-status Indian" in my previous post since that's still the legal term used by the federal government. I didn't explain that in the previous post since I didn't want to confuse people.

What's funny, though, is that all Natives I've spoken to refer to themselves as Indians xD It's only everyone else that really calls them Natives or Aboriginals!

It seems to be the opposite where I live. While some do call themselves Indians, most of the ones I know call themselves Aboriginal, Native, or First Nation. I know some that don't like being called Indian and take offense to it. It just depends on the person.

"I think this happens anywhere! All my life, I lived near Toronto - a great city with lots of tourist attractions - and I never really visited these tourist places."

^same here haha. my city's known for a lot of tourist places, but I've only been to ~4 of them.

@ KTC, Aeternus.. haha, poor us. well, i think i'd be doing some travelling in m country while i'm still in this world.

well, is it my fault that transportation here costs so much? :S hehe.

@Mariedan - it is too bad that transportation is expensive, and we all suffer from that to different degrees.

That is a challenge, I think, for you to sit down and really look a what you can do, and make a commitment to yourself to find one thing that you can afford to do and have a party with it!

We have a quarry in our town that flooded years ago. It is now the town's main park and there is a swimming area there, with a lifeguard. We have picnics there with all our kids and their families, and everyone looks forward to it. The best part is I can walk to this place!

Perhaps there is a place near you that you too can build some fine memories with your loved ones?

I never get why every citizen of every city in every country in the whole wide world have the problems of money Why is everything expensive everywhere?

There will always be some who have more than others, that is the of life. The challenge is to be generous when you have more than enough, and to live within your means when you do not!

I was brought up in a community that taught that a family gives 10% to the church or to charity, puts 10% into saving for the future when times are hard and then you live on the 80% that is left. Because of this I have a good understanding of living within my means.

Although I no longer am an active member of the Lutheran church, I still give 10% to charity. I support a mission that helps the homeless, and give to the local food bank. I also support several international charities that do fine work in some very hard hit parts of the world.

I was not always so fortunate as I am now, but I was helped by people I did not know, and that made all the difference when I was once again able to work and get ahead in life.

10 - 10 - 80 is the formula for a happy life.

Romania - a country with bloody past,which is slowly fading into ruins,and dust.Had many fights with other nationalities,had some of the best armament in one of the World Wars,and had the slowest development of all countries.And still has it.Was a monarchy most of the time.Also,is the most discriminatory country of all,and I hate it sooooo much!GGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

God,please,get me out of this country!

You don't want to come here,trust me!

@connielj, i like your formula to a happy life ;)

well, for me, i don't have that "formula" but as much as i could, i have a helping hand to those who need me :)

@klaus, hmm, is it really THAT bad? don't you see something good in your country? and i thought my country was the worst.. :S :lol:

(did a quick google search on Romania)

aww, you're country is nice, why do you say its hell? i mean, look at all those pretty landmarks.. :S but then again, landmarks don't determine the state of being of a country.. haha. and you're in Europe! I always dreamed of going to Europe :)

@Connie - I know,and when he had the chance,he attacked Hojo.He is all "silence and knowledge".He is also my favorite character in all FFs,and he never misses from my team in FF 7.If you'd live here,you'd understand what I mean.In Europe is beautiful,here,where I am,HELL!

Seriously, saying that snobs are the only one who are happy is going a bit too far. But IT is your country. I also have two friends here on AM who live in Romania but live very happily.

@klaus:

"they're happy here are snob people,full of money,which always cheat"

that's like saying all/most americans from the US are war-hungry, arrogant, ignorant, white rednecks. Heck, some of my non-white friends surprised a lot of europeans by not fitting the stereotype when they went to France. (by being nice and down to earth lol)

Imo, Don't spread the racism around cuz it stinks like cow manure and kids' week old sock. (kids feet are stinky as heck)

moving on: San Francisco best for chinese food. Why I bring this up? cuz i'm currently in a place that has little to no chinese food :(

@KTC

I can totally sympathize!!

I moved away from a very ethnically diverse city - with a large Asian population - to a mostly-Caucasian city in the middle of the wilderness! It's easy enough to find Asian restaurants but the closest I can find to an Asian grocer is the Asian section of the grocery store (which is just stuff like rice, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and noodles, LOL; anything beyond that, they charge twice as much as what I can get in my hometown).

Whenever I visit home, I make sure to stock up on my Asian food, but I can only bring so much back with me =_=; (and no food that needs to be kept cold/frozen, either *sigh* )

I didn't think it was racist either, but what you said about you homeland/country showed evident signs of frustration and possibly embarrassment. It is not your fault if you dislike your homeland, but you should have some very good reasons to do so. Everything has its positive and negative aspects, but you should learn to take both into account. When you talk of the country being bad, you should realize that the fate of a country depends upon the peoplewho are a part of it. The government is responsible for progress of the country and so are the individuals. So you're basically blaming the country as a whole. I don't view that as fair since there might be a few individuals who are working towards betterment.

You'd prefer it if it was perfect in nearly every aspect perhaps, but that's impossible for any country. That is, unless the people co-operate too. If everyone just sits with their hands on their forehead thinking, "There's no hope for this country" then obviously there never will be. You should never give up and accept a thing at its face value. Even I hate my country sometimes for all the corruption in various departments in the government as well as among the people. Corruption comes from temptation, no one can resist money, especially if they're poor or greedy. Apart from that, improper manners among the citizens is also a major turn-off.

It's very embarrassing for me too when people can't keep their own country clean. First impressions count. Now if we go on discussing about an ideal country, it'll be a completely different topic in itself. The choice lies with you. You can completely abhor your country, or you can hate it at times just to let off steam (like I do, lol), or you can accept the good points and try to improve them and encourage others to do the same. All in all, we all should be proud to be [insert nationality here]. There are also some people who don't like their mother country because of Racism. Makes them feel inferior or something. That is another thing I look down on, as well as the people who think so.

Anywho, you don't have to be embarrassed just because your country isn't well-to-do Klaus. There are many other countries like that too. Never bear hatred, grudge or embarrassment in your mind, it leaves little space for all the other joys of life =)

*whispers to ktc* - Did you get a bit hyper with all the cow manure and everything sentence, don't you think? Teheh ^-^ It was a bit funny too actually. Cow manure..of all things..LOL :D

@klaus: you obviously think all happy romanians are "rich cheating snobs". To you, it seems romanians are the scum of the universe. Since you're against romanians, would that not be racism?

@valky: eh, just felt like making an over-exaggerating sentence. Plus I has just finished a hardcore killing spree and some of the enemies really pissed me off.

I am not against the people here,I am against what I mostly see.And I don't hate it,just that I don't like living here.It's too much sorrow and sadness here.And the happy rich snobs I am referring to factory and parliament people,which I see every single day,"making our lives better".Try to go beyond what I say.I speak with double meaning guys.

I don't know, aren't we all "a lil bit racist" deep down inside? (I think someone posted a video of a funny song about racism... not sure if it was KTC or aisling in another topic?! >_> )

Anyways, I think the people who live there do have a right to be racist towards certain people because, well, they DO live there and only THEY would know how the people are. I'm half-Chinese and I can be a bit of a racist towards Chinese, heck, even my friend (a "pure" one) hates Chinese twice as I do! o__O