Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ashen_Eclipse

How do you play?

How do you play rpg and rpg-type games?

Dodge and run? Kill all the enemies? Level up to the very last level? Fight on the lowest level you can?

Do you play some games one way, and some another?

:.:.:

I personally go for dodge-and-run and fight through with the lowest level possible, mostly because I hate level grinding. If I don't have to fight something and can avoid it, I usually do. (Unless I'm playing Kingdom Hearts... then I have to kill every heartless in the area. I have no idea why.)

In fact, I'll usually only fight enemies so I can get money. And in Zelda, instead of fighting, I chop lots and lots of grass.

How do you play?

I do a little of both dogde and run and kill all the enemies. When I get to a new area, I like to dodge everything just to see what's there, but after I'm done exploring, then I'll kill all the enemies.

I absolutely must grind in almost every game or else it doesn't feel like an RPG to me any more...is that weird? I didn't grind in Aveyond too much but in other RPG's like FF13 I feel like if you don't grind you get left behind...lol I only dodge when enemies are really strong, then I go back to the weaker enemies until the strong ones don't seem so strong any more. :D

ROAR!!! I KILL EVERYTHING!! well, not really :P most of the time, especially when i want to level up, I would run around killing everything, feeling extremely satisfied and then checking all the loot and earning alot of money. But I'm also pretty good at dodging things.

Kill everything generally XD

In games like Grandia 2, if you kill everything before going to the next dungeon you are pretty much set for the next part of the game. If you don't kill everything, you're under level and it'll be hard.

Though on games like Skies of Arcadia with its random monster generator, I tend to flee because the random battle rate is really high and gets really annoying fast. There is no way to eliminate every monster, so its best to be choosy and flee most enemies if you don't need the exp.

With me, I dodge monsters in new areas, because they really bug me. I think that they're really tough, because they look meaner, and they end up being weak. And then I end up being weak because I run away. And then I get lost, and I end up over leveling and become stinking rich, and then I kill everything and anything that comes near me. An example of this is FF4, with random battles.

In aveyond, I run from almost everything. In FF13 and FF7, I kill everything I can... Muahahahaha.

I save every few minutes, so i won't get killed and have to start over again and have to do certain things that take too long. Normally, when I step in a new area, Sedona, for example, I dodge the monsters and high-tail it to the nearest city, buy weapons, armor, and appropriate spells, then fight head on. This way, I don't get killed. Ever. I can count how many times I've been killed on my fingers. But, supposing it's a boss, then I save my game, check if I have enough money, go and level up some more and buy upgrades, if needed, save my game again, and go to fight the boss. It takes a while, but it seems foolproof.

Well, Ryo uses the completionist strategy. Basically, Ryo beats every single enemy he sees and throughly explores every single part of a dungeon/area before he moves on with the story. He'll grind for the extra gold to buy a new weapon, even if it's only a +1 attack boost over the last weapon. >.>

Sometimes, Ryo grinds for fun. Ryo'unno why, but grinding is fun for him in some games. When Ryo played Final Fantasy X-2, he was at level 30 with at least two jobs mastered for each character before he finished chapter 1. o-o When Ryo played Final Fantasy XII, he had mastered at least half of the Liscense board before he saved Penelo at the Bujherba (Spelling?) Mines.

One time, when Ryo was playing Tales of Legendia, he came to a three-way split in a dungeon. When he accidentally triggered a cutscene and realized he couldn't go back to check out the other path, he reloaded he save file and checked the path, only to find it was a dead-end. o-o But still, if Ryo hadn't checked, it would have bugged him for ages.

When games have random encounters, grinding is generally easy. Ryo can just run around in a circle and level up for hours for no apparent reason. When games have on-screen enemies, Ryo'll usually beat everything up as well. (The only exception to this are Zelda games because you can't level up in them.) Of course, this usually makes grinding a bit more tedious. Even in games like Phantom Brave or Dokapon Kingdom, Ryo'll level up for hours on end before moving on with the story. Even with Aveyond, Ryo had leveled up insanely. Rhen and Lars were both around level 30-ish before Ryo even bothered going of Mount Onion/Orion. o-o

dodge and run is me! i usually run from enemies and look for a lone one simply to test it, if it kicks my behind, i keep dodging it until i can beat it, if i kick its behind, i go on and take the pleasure of dooming everything that walks the area, though i usually dodge weak monsters coz they waste my time and don't give me a significant amount of experience or loot

Edited to remove profanity.

~Mopiece

Yeah, with Zelda you don't level up from killing normal monsters, you need to find hearts and heart peices... Which I am too lazy to do. So I'll have the hearts I'll get from beating the bosses, and some peices that I might have accidently stumbled upon, but I don't go out of the way to get heart peices.

In fact, if I need to use a walkthrough if I'm stuck, and it says something about heart peices, I ignore that part.

No wonder why I need faries to beat the bosses. XD

Grandma cleans house! Kill the monsters, gain the necessary skills to advance as high as you can get and get the gold to buy the best equipment.

I will spend the time grinding away, fighting and refighting if necessary because I prefer to 'walk loudly and carry a big sword' (lol) and nothing is more satisfying than having the firepower to whip bad-guys when you get into area's you haven't been in.

Offtopic but:

"walk loudly and carry a big sword"

ugh brings back memories of record of lodoss war on dreamcast where, if you wear steel boots, you quite literally are making a huge racket. CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK. It's like listening to high heels clicking on the floor x 10000000 the volume and annoyance. had to mute the TV since it got so annoying or get new boots. >_

On the bright side, you could wield a HUGE heavy blade XD

lol. Ya’ should try adding this to the poll:-

“Walk About, Very loudly (with/without a sword/flower)”

^ Thatz what I practically do, when I’m through with everything else (given in the poll) And here I thought I’m the only one who does it XD

When I reach a new place, I usually flee to the next town, upgrade all my equipment, then come out for mass killingz/pwnage to get enough for the next town mwahahahahahaha~~~ However, I also have a very bad reluctance to pay for inns and/or buy supplies/restoratives (esp in the games where you get free healing every level up), so sometimes I'm still forced to flee when low on life XD

I am one for completing every possible thing you can do in an rpg.

If you want to face the optional bosses and explore the secret dungeons, you have to kill everything and level up as much as you can along the way, or else you won't be prepared for those bonus battles.

Grinding can be tedious, but it pays off in the end.

Well, i don't know why, but i just used to kill all the monster at the place and doing the exploring around. Since rpgs that i played are all battle(of course) i'll automatically train to get more levels so i could kill some stronger beast out of the place. I usually choose the highest level of monster that i could beat, bring my potions and go with them. Exps are far easier to get in less time. If i just all dodge and run, i'll keep die and die in boss battles, right?

When in a dungeon/ before boss fights/ i usually kill everything in my path to tip my scales for the boss fight. but when travelling towards a new town/new map, it's either dodge-and-run or fight as little as possible. if there are new equips to be bought, then i'll return to the fields to earn money(if i'm not stinkin' rich just yet). XD

I avoid everything when I enter a new Map. then get the equipment from the next time. And then unleash a torrent of despair on the enemies, annihilating everything worse than a nuclear bomb.

theone wrote:

And then unleash a torrent of despair on the enemies, annihilating everything worse than a nuclear bomb.

:lol: I found that line outrageously funny, for some reason.

:.:.:

When I find a monster that drops a lot of gold that is easy to kill, I'll go kill that one monster, leave the screen and then go back and kill that same monster again. And again. But I won't clear all the monsters, just that one. O.o