Aveyond Studios Community
Stardale

Having no Homeworks on Weekends: Agree or not?

Alright, our Department of Education just implemented a new ruling towards Elementary teachers. This ruling is that teachers are not allowed to give homeworks during weekends.

The said department's secretary implemented the ruling because of complaints coming from parents that their kids are losing time for playing and having bonding moments with their family because of the load of assignments that they bring home.

Burning Question: Is this reasonable, or not?

In my honest and diffident opinion, isn't this just too much? I mean, can't assignments bring moments with their family members? Having LESS would be okay, but none would be the worst thing I have never heard.

I wonder what would happen to these kids in High School.

That's a bit unreasonable. Homework is there for a reason. I can see giving them less homework over the weekend, but not completely stop giving it.

Homework is what gives you extra practice to help you learn the material. Taking away that isn't going to help the students.

Debates about whether schools give too much or not enough homework have been going on for a long time. Personally, I think younger kids shouldn't have as much homework as older kids but not allowing any homework over the weekend seems a bit much. It seems more reasonable to limit the amount of homework.

As for homework providing time with family members...that would work if parents helped their kids with home but in reality that doesn't happen all the time.

I wonder what would happen to these kids in High School.

If you think it is difficult going from elementary to high school with the work load, wait until college. Weekends and holidays usually meant time to catch up on homework.

The biggest issue that I have with education is the difference between the amount of effort that is needed and what people are willing to do. It seems like a lot of people aren't willing to put in the effort but still want the high grades.

I didn't get a lot of homework in elementary school, but I did get it. My mom would sit with me after school as I did my homework. She made me do my weekend homework on Friday, unless it was a big project, so I'd have all weekend.

I think having no homework on the weekend is a bit unreasonable, even though I hated doing it. Otherwise, when you hit high school, you'll be in big trouble.

in my opinion, homework is a necessary evil (okay don't laugh. its true!!) i mean, yeah, it ticks me off at times but hey, think of all the improvements a student can do if he/she does have homeworks. We go to school to study and that is what we are supposed to do. You can't have or accomplish everything in the easy way. Besides, it makes student more responsible, making them have schedules and all. Also, it all depends on the student himself. If he is a whacko who doesn't have any goals in finishing things, well... yeah.

:)

I think getting homework in weekends is necessary, not too much homework, we don't want the kids to spend their whole weekend infront of their books, but some is good.

Homework comes as a way of practicing what was learnt in school, and if kids want the weekend free they could always do the homework at fridays.

About the bonding with the parents, parents can already bond with their kids by helping them do the homework. Also it allows parents to see where their kids have more trouble with and where they have to put a bit more of effort on.

Of course nowadays alot of parents don't have the time nor the will to help their kids with homework and prefer to let them figure it out on their own, so these parents usually use the weekend as an escuse to bond and if homework comes in the way, of course they're going to complain.

But in the end all resumes to this if kids want good grades and want to improve their studies they have to practice and put effort into it, homework helps, so no homework is bad, so in the next years they well have alot of problems getting used to the classes.

Like Mizzou said, you can't just expect to have good grades with no effort.

Homeworks are for extra practicing the knowledge of a chapter/thing.I myself give homeworks when talking about drawing and sketching.Even if they're not pleasant,they must be.But not in a exaggerated amount.I mean,I get about 25 pages of work,commenting,taking notes and speech,and just 2 pages of these are for English.I mean,hello?Limit it but not remove it.

I agree with the others. No homework at all on weekends sounds pretty unreasonable. I can understand that kids need to be kids, but at the same time, they need to learn to work hard and manage time effectively sooner or later and I'd rather it be sooner! The sooner they can balance work and play and be responsible, the better off they will be in the future.

Let's be realistic here. Do you think kids will actually go back and practice their knowledge on their own and without prompting? Of course there must be homework set by adults (teachers and/or parents) before they will slowly crack open their books and revise the dreaded subjects. But obviously, not too much work that you can't enjoy childhood. In other words, if you're not in a Chinese school, you pretty much can't say you're overloaded with work XD

I'm not so fond of homework, and like I've read here, it doesn't seem like I'm the only one who gets ticked off when a truckload of homework is due the other day. However, I still find it reasonable for us students to be given a moderate amount of work. It's not like anyone revises what they took during that day at school instead of relaxing and wasting their time. xD

I agree that erasing such homework on weekends is unreasonable. I mean, yes, homeworks are horrible if they're popped out much, but still i like them. They could train me much, even if i skipped class because i'm not in mood, i'll just go with my books, ignoring the teacher. BUT, this was the parents themselves wanted to FREE their child from homeworks for weekends, and go playing for them. Geez, back in here, some parents even give their child extra projects. I totally agree with Stardale. Having it lessen may help. But particulary none? No. It'll make children these days more lazy than over

Going to have to have some context here: Exactly how much homework are we talking about? Did it take up literally their whole weekend? Did it lead to them staying up until the early hours of the next morning? Cuz if that happens on the weekends, than yeah it should be lessened or gotten rid of.

Imo, elementary school is the easiest level of schooling (kindergarten/pre-school doesn't count. More like babysitting) so leniency should be expected. I know for my elementary school, no homework on the weekend was the norm and it worked fine for us. Many of us were able to get into top or good high schools so it wasn't much of a bad thing to not have homework on the weekends. One shouldn't be pushing kids in elementary school to move at a high school pace yet. That's what middle school's for, the transition period.

As for homework bring people together: Not that I know of. Homework led to some pretty nasty arguments in my family and I'm pretty sure that's not bonding. I think that's why I rather work alone on everything instead of having partners of any sort.

Oh, and I liked those no homework weekends. Weekends were the only really time that I could spend time with my parents when they were both fully rested. The rest of the week they work full time and/or overtime so often would get home tired and irritable.

Brown,I agree,but don't expect to do nothing in order to learn.School is there for one reason.In order to accomplish what you dream of,you should study in order to succeed.

Ahh Klaus, I wasn't talking about myself. I was talking about the section of the class that rarely studies, if ever. I do study, and I concentrate in class, which explains my current 100% streak in most subjects. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging or anything, but I seem to have been a little vague in my previous post to have caused your misunderstanding, and I felt a little offended.

If these people dont get into the habit of doing homework at weekend, what happens when they have to write Thesisis and do projects.

For example, last year I had to literally devote each weekend for my board's computer project and design a database and a spreadsheet for a company (Fake)

But we had to have around 500 items for sale.

Plus around 50 reports on Database, making a switchboard, a BASIC program that opens the spreadsheet and a website for show.

Weekend homework for Elementary schoolers should be no big deal.

@theone: Come now, I just described a whole school that pretty much had an unspoken " no homework" rule and we did just fine. Went to top high schools and colleges.

How do you adjust? You just do. It isn't that hard seeing as my school was able to do it. Especially since middle school was a transition point.

Having no homework on the weekends isn't going to all of a sudden make these kids fail at life. Seriously, they are elementary schoolers not high school or college students. It would be like expecting a child to write a college thesis.

Check out that a six year old passed college. Google it :D

You are describing a school that has homework in middle school. Mine had no homework until I got that project and it was very hard

And now I have to write a thesis for college on chemical bonding- History and complexities.

And believe me, this is not easy for me

let me see if I get this correctly: you had no homework at all, weekdays and weekends, until high school?

Than you're school's messed up.

Also, stardale's asking about elementary school, not middle school.

Kid: there's always exceptions. just don't expect all 6 year olds to do it or you're going to have a lot more suicides.

My brother who is 5 years old today gets 3 pages of alphabets every weekend in in KG 2. Plus from two subjects. IMO, homework should be stopped for Kindergardeners

He has the mind of the devil and the attention span is very high. Infact, he never forgets anything. He knows where everything is in the house, even the stuff we packed a year ago. I think 5 year olds are smarter than we give them credit for