Aveyond Studios Community
Stardale

Having no Homeworks on Weekends: Agree or not?

@theone: lucky kid. Cuz I know my class was definitely bordering on ADD in kindergarten. It wasn't until maybe 1st, 2nd grade that our attention span improved.

And I know for myself I had plenty of problems learning (couldn't read at all. no matter how much work I put in I just couldn't read. Still don't know why I had so much difficulty with it. Oh, and learning the alphabet was difficult cuz they teach you as righthanders...which means I wrote backwards as a left hander. fun times) until 2nd grade so large amounts of homework would have been a very bad day for me.

My brother learned reading from the computer. The English teachers here are terrible. In fact, let me tell you that I correct my English Sir, at the very least, a dozen times every day.

Shaw,better that having my English teacher.You tremble every time when you have to make a speech,take notes,you tremble at everything.Even if she's a very good teacher,you have a fear similar to the one of something really bad going to happen.

The rule: why abolish homework that include baby stuff in it? XD I don’t remember having much homework then.

Ok, now I don’t find banning homework in elementary school very practical. It’s where you start building your foundation and homework is necessary to keep that base going and strong.

Bonding moment: heh, homework isn’t the only thing that gets in the way with “bonding” split seconds in the company of your folks. In fact, HW does take your mind off those things lol.

As for High school: Teachers pressurize you So Much, sometimes all I wanna do is trash each and every homework/assignment/project /coursework I’ve done.

No, they shouldn’t abolish homework, but Have to reduce it. “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. You have no time to play games, can’t think of stepping outside and hanging out with a friend, or even using the computer (it’ll be almost dawn by the time you’re done with your HW) and you’re already busy having a siesta on the bed.

I mean *hello*, we have a life too y’know. Schools can’t just assume every student does nothing, but sleep/eat/pee/watch TV/games/& on the PC (full stop), after school. Some students do take part time jobs/volunteer work/ extra classes/tuitions/do stuff/go to places etc., and now chucking lotsa homework to your face is just not fair humanly. It sucks.

College/university must be torture >.<

Elementary school ought to keep the homework, but to a limit, that way you could spend time with your parents/siblings, have fun, play etc. and also reinforce yourself with whatever you did in school. It doesn’t become a hindrance anymore.

These kids who got away with homework in elementary would have to deal with it in middle & high school somehow.

@KTC, Why does that sound like dyslexia? lol.

@lovinlife: it sounds like it, but I know I'm not dyslexic because I don't have any difficulty with reading now.

I don't believe you can outgrow dyslexia so its not that.

Also, i think you misinterpreted stardale's question. He's saying elementary banned homework on weekends only, not the weekdays. The elementary schools still have homework mons-fris.

I think KTC brings up a valid question about "what do we mean by too much homework?"

It'll vary by each student. I remember learning how to do long division in grade 5. After our lesson, the teacher had us do long division exercises on the blackboard simultaneously (there were only about ten of us; the rest of the class were fourth graders). I happened to catch on pretty fast so in the time it took my classmates to do one math problem, I could do two or three.

So, obviously, if one student gets through his/her homework in a decent amount of time, a student who might not understand the material may take a lot longer and the parents will worry that there is too much work being assigned. Or perhaps the student lacks proper time management skills (I was terrible at this in high school, lol).

So how do teachers account for these differences? Should they lessen homework to match the pace of the "slowest" student or continue to challenge all of their students? It probably will never be solved.

I think it's important to have homework from early on, so that it becomes a routine in the stage that parents still have some control over the kid's schedule during after-school hours. I don't remember having any homework until 7th grade, just that in my case it was due to me finishing all of it during classes. My primary school was pretty flexible, because we had so many grades in one classroom (1-2 had one and 3-6 had the other classroom). So I just think my teachers never noticed that I always finished before going home.

The point of homework is repetition; that you've had a little time between going over the things once and going over them again. It helps learning. In my case, I never developed the routine for doing homework, and still struggle with it.

I think a little bit of homework during the weekend is most definitely not a bad thing.

@KTC, Naw, I got the question right, but found it kind of incomplete.

If elementary schools don’t give homework on weekends, by the time you go to school on a Monday, you’d have forgotten all you did/learnt two days ago and end up blank when your teacher shoots a question at you in class.

I think I had to do lil more homework on weekends when I was in elementary, than on weekdays. It wasn’t much of an obstruction when it came to family bonding either.

And people actually can overcome dyslexia.

Well I think that homework on the weekends in moderation is okay... I certainly don't want a 3page essay ont eh weekend. If I had that much homework in elementary, then I'd have collapsed. A little homework actually helps you to do better in school, I find.

So how do teachers account for these differences? Should they lessen homework to match the pace of the "slowest" student or continue to challenge all of their students? It probably will never be solved.

This reminded me of my experience in grade school and first year of junior high. They weren't consistent with addressing the different skill levels of students from year to year and it created some problems, at least for me.

In the later part of elementary, they started separating math classes by the skill level of the students. I was always placed in the higher level class and we ended up in a year ahead of the other students by the end of 6th grade. In 7th grade, they decided to put students in 'teams' where everyone took the same core classes. I was a new thing for when the district would open the middle school for 6th and 7th grade. I was bored stiff in math class until the last quarter of of the year when they finally covered new material for me. The next year, the teacher recommended that I skip pre-algebra (which I would have been in if it wasn't for the upcoming changes for middle school) and go straight to algebra. I did just fine in the class and at least I felt like I was being challenged.

The main thing is it can be difficult to adjust the material and work load based on the skill level of the students. What one student thinks is too much and too hard another might be bored with cause it's too easy.

@lovinlife: than you skipped over my post entirely where I presented a school that had an unspoken no homework on weekend rule. And guess what?

Most of us succeeded to get into good high schools and beyond. Most of us had no trouble remembering what the teacher was talking about on friday. My school wasn't even one with a lot of geeks/nerds.

So imo, homework on the weekends isn't going to make you a better student than if there was no homework on weekends. It all depends on the student themselves. And its not going to make the student's school record crash all of a sudden if they stop getting homework on the weekends.

Actually, it's not like you'll have to do the homework on the weekend. You'd do it on Friday after school, like every other schoolday. That is, if you have the routine in place...

@KTC, elementary students need homework on weekends. At that age you need practice to get one’s intellect developed. Not all elementary students remember everything they did on Fridays without having to do homework at all. In fact, I would find that exceptional, especially at such a grade & age where you start learning ADD, and what words you can form from the alphabets.

In the general picture, 3rd/5th graders aren’t brainy enough to do perfectly well in class without having any homework/practice during the weekend.

Imo, Homework does help a student in their academic performance, but should be to a limit. And I don’t see any benefit from having no homework at all during the weekend, especially for elementary learners.

I just skimmed through the posts in the first page, btw.

During my second year at high school my history home work is copy all topics that we are going to tackle two days ahead. I do have a book at that time and it's seems pointless to write everything on my notebook when I can just relax and read it. Our proctor reasoned out that, if we copy the whole page (wew except the pictures) we will be able to read all the pages. I agree, it's not like homework is totally banned. Teachers can still load us with homeworks during school days

When I was in elementary school we always had homework. For the younger kids it was fairly easy - practice writing ten words ad make a sentence. Around second grade the work was more like read number of pages and do math homework. Towards the end of elementary school we had a certain amount of daily homework, shorter term projects, and long term projects. The projects were usually done on weekends and about 3-4 hour of other homework from Friday.

Hmmm...

That sounds like a good way. When I was in elementary, I did very little homework until grade 7. Even then it was just what we didn't finish in class. When I started doing highschool subjects, there was so much more homework... You need to get conditioned for it or you'll die. :P Kind of like running- you need to do homework on weekends or when you get to highschool you'll fail. Or over heat- you can't just run 2km right away.

@lovinlife

You're assuming way too much about kids in elementary school. At that age, yes they do need practice. But cutting back on homework isn't going to harm them.

Yes you can debate. I wasn't saying you can't or that you aren't.

I was just saying you're assuming too much. If want to assume things that's fine. Just go easy on the assumptions. Overly assuming things in a debate isn't a good idea.

@lovinlife: uh no you don't. Again, I just presented a whole school where no homework on the weekend was the norm.

And my school wasn't even a particularly gifted one. Just average. So no, elementary students aren't as stupid/needy/etc. as you make them out to be.

The problem with most people involved in education is that they tend to go to extremes. Either pile the kids with homework or give them no homework. I feel that there should be some moderation.

@KTC, I didn’t say elementary students were stupid or needy, I said having homework would really help them. It doesn’t bite to have to do some extra practice at home.

Your school: good for you then.

@theone: I agree, moderation is best. The problem is, as aeternus/mizzou mentioned this, was how much is moderate. To one student a load is excessive while to another its easy.

I have one example: I was able to finish organic chem homework in 3.5 hours. Another student took about ~7 hours to complete it. To me, 3.5 was long but tolerable. The other student was basically going crazy at the end of the 7 hours. So what would be moderate in this case?

@lovinlife: it bites if there is an excess of homework. too much homework won't help the student at all. And I still do not see why homework needs to be absolutely necessary on the weekends.

Found some research concerning homework. very interesting stuff about its effectiveness

Also, even with having too much homeworks on weekend nor daily ones, some students will just ignore them. I mean, they maybe think that the homework is quite easy or even hard, depends to whom the student is, or to the homework itself. Or there'll be another usuall factor, that will be lazy. And there're some possibilities that some students got controlled by parents to do their homeworks. But it was already mentioned that parents themselves having problems with children's homeworks. However, it could be said that homeworks themselves would be usefull for those who does, learn, and study through. And so, what's the purpose of homework itself if you're even never touch it? Maybe not 'never', but at least it wasn't even finished by the students?