Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cryzkia

Friend or Fur? Wearing fur Debate

It is well known that fur is hot style, but how many knows where the fur comes from?

I found a video on youtube, that PETA made, you can see it here: PETA fur farm investegation

What do you think of this? Is it okay to wear fur, or is it cruel?

My opinion is that it is very cruel.

Maybe we worn fur from the beginning, but why was the nowadays clothes made, if not to get AWAY from the fur use? It is much too cruel.

Peta peta peta.

I don't trust a word of peta, not after all their crazy antics and scare tactics. SO down with peta.

as for fur: eh, since I got no problem with leather, I'd be a hypocrite to be against fur.

Though I'm only for fur (and leather) if its from common non endangered animals like rabbits and foxes. If it was from endangered animals like tigers and such, than I'm against it as we need as many members of them to keep the population alive.

Well, say what you want about PETA, but the video is true. Search and you'll find a lot more of those kind of videos.

Whatever you say and ignore, the fact is that no matter what kind of fur/leather you wear, there is a 75% chance or more it comes from a place where the animal haven't had a good life.

Even without taking a stand for or against fur from an ethical pov, fur is ugly! It does not suit humans! I do not understand the big deal about wearing fur. Yes, people had to eons ago when there were no other clothing options, but there are now, so why wear something so unaesthetic? I dislike leather, too. I don't like the way it feels or the way it looks. All that applies to fake fur and fake leather, too.

That being said, I think that activists do take it too far in attacking people's livelihoods (fur farms and shops). And I don't like the idea of animals being locked up in small (!) cages just so that people could wear their furs.

@KTC: There is a difference between leather and fur in that leather is a by-product of meat industry, and fur is the only thing used from those animals off which it's taken.

I completely agree with you Mae.

But also, i don't wear or like fur because:

1: It looks ugly.

2: there is a 75% or more chance it comes from a place where the animal have had a bad life.

3: Fur have always been, will always be, and is made for the Animals. Humans wearing fur is like stealing another persons clothes.

Would YOU want to get stripped off your hair and clothes for someone else to wear?

I'm against killing animals for fur. It makes no sense anymore: "Humans used to wear fur since they had nothing better to wear, and it kept them warm in harsh winter"; we can make cloth now an weave cotton and wool (wool doesn't count as fur I guess, I mean it's just like giving the sheep a haircut in summer, and it doesn't mind it really, in fact, it's better for the animal itself), the latter also being warm and cozy.

Technology reached a point where we could even make fake fur. If a person likes fur and animal hide for some reason, they could just resort to what's fake. Man, it looks the same and feels the same too. The only difference being the sheen, and that's not such a big problem that's noticed by everyone. People still think that killing animals to use their fur for their coat is the 'luxurious' thing to do. Yeah, sure ... let's see where that gets you.

I agree with KTC on this. PETA can't be trusted. The video most likely was severely edited to convey what they wanted.

I have no problem with fur or animal products being worn, as long as the animal's population isn't in danger. I'm not going to tell someone what they should or shouldn't wear. It's up to them.

Artificial leather,I'd choose.And no,it's very very awful to wear the hide of animals.Still,to sincerely tell you,there are few companies which use the hide of dead animals,which died of age,disease,etc.They are disinfected many times,worked out,and become clothes.With that ones I agree.It's not a waste,but other fur I wouldn't wear.

Yup, the first pert is what i think too.

I mean, why wear fur if you can wear something better? It's NOT luxurious, you walk around in a dead animal!

Yeah.

Our teacher did show us a video with a VERY cruel way of getting fur.

They hit it into the ground untill it was half dead, then ripped off it's fur, AND IT WAS STILL ALIVE AFTER!

I couldn't find the video for the topic. :(

@Matrimat

That doesn't describe the industry. Nearly all of the places will kill the animal in a completely humane way. Will there be some places that don't? Sure, but those are the outliers.

@Matriamat

That's just your opinion. The only way it's not humane is if the animal suffered before it died. And for nearly all the animals in the industry, most die in a humane way.

@Matrimat

You missed my point. It's only inhumane if the animal suffers. Some people don't like wool; some people don't like cotton. Some people like wearing animal fur. It's nothing new.

I don't miss your point, you miss MY point.

It is inhumane to kill an innocent animal to satisfy some people who likes to wear fur. You could just make real fur instead.

What would you like with being an animal that only live to be killed for fur?

@Matrimat

No, I'm not. I'm responding to your point. You say it's inhumane to kill animals. I said it's only inhumane if the animal suffers before it dies.

Yes, in today's age, you can make synthetic fur, you can make fake diamonds too. But some people don't want the fake stuff. Some people just prefer the real stuff.

Animals are going to die some way or another, like humans. The only difference is these animals are dieing for a reason.

Yes, but they don't get a life.

If you were a fox, Would you like to live in a cage? not in the forest with free smell. They die for a reason, a reason made up by man!

I just think it's wrong.

@mae: i don't consider that a big difference as they are both skins of animals. And I bet some high end leather place grows their animals to get the best.

@matriamat: on the contrary, I find certain people in leather jackets very sexy. Can't help it, leather just looks really good on some people. And what about wool? THAT's wearing a piece of animal. :P

"But also, i don't wear or like fur because:

1: It looks ugly.

2: there is a 75% or more chance it comes from a place where the animal have had a bad life.

3: Fur have always been, will always be, and is made for the Animals. Humans wearing fur is like stealing another persons clothes."

1. that is an opinion, not a fact.

2. there are a lot of humane places as mopiece said.

3. they are animals not humans. Why should we treat them the same as humans? They are not and will never be humans. By your analog, eating meat would be cannibalism. Well I like my meat so :P

Sides, do you know how fish, crab, liverwort, etc. are prepared? I still enjoy eating them even after learning and seeing how you prepare it. So I can't really find much sympathy with animals. Why should I sympathize with my meat? XD

FYI, because I'm feeling storytime ish.

Crabs: while its still alive (to get the best flavor), you rip off the top shell. The lungs still moving, the hearts pumping, and its legs are twitching. You stick your hand into the chest cavity and cut everything you can't eat like lungs, stomach, and intestines. Last, you cut the legs off so that you have this grotesque thing of what a crab would be. Than you cook it.

And man it taste good XD

@Matriamat

They do get a life. Most animals are raised to maturity before being killed. Yes, they live in a place smaller than their natural environment. But they still have room to wander.

You're attaching too many emotions to this. Do you like fish? Do you like birds? Reptiles? Do you think they shouldn't be kept as pets since they live in cages?

@matriamat:

adding to mopiece: don't forget dogs, cats, hamsters, and any animal you consider as pets. They aren't free and live in glorified cages.

@Matri- You kill chickens and cows for meat. That is also an innocent creature. Or are chickens naughty devils.

@ KTC

Quote:

they are animals not humans. Why should we treat them the same as humans? They are not and will never be humans

What makes humans so special? Both humans and animals are sentient. What gives us the right to kill them for a thing that we will never need except for luxury.

We eat meat but we don't eat fur. We wear it. Any reason to kill an animal when the same thing can be made synthetically which looks the same and is also CHEAPER?

I don't eat meat from big animals.

Smaller animals like chickens and fish don't have really big brains.

The only reason i eat meat is because i need to.

You could eat vegetables, but in the end you need the stuff you get from meat.

I ONLY eat chicken and fish, because they are the least sensible ones.

Even though i do feel sorry for them. being killed.