Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Coren

RPG Heroes are Jerks? True or False?

In real life I would never dream of taking from anyone. But I loot and pillage every chance I get in rpgs.

And quite honestly, when I got my very first playstation - (this is a secret) I LOVED playing grand theft auto! (don't tell anyone!)

@aisling: so she could ransack her village if she had the proper equipment XD

@connie: omg, the granny is breaking into cars and all that. :o

When I first tried AV2 (I tried the Aveyonds out of order), and I went to Shaelenir (Please say that that's the correct spelling) I went to the statue of the goddess and then I read the whole dialogue. My first reaction was steal, duh! There's no luck or karma in a game. And then I started checking the houses and found some chests. I was like steal, steal, steal! Heck, I just stole from a donation box. I was afraid though that the owner would try to chase me or call for help. So, I saved before I did so. Later, a friend of mine who made me try the Aveyonds that luck and karma do exist in AV.

I used to love GTA too, by the way. But I got stuck at a mission and no matter how hard I tried he would always die so I gave it up.

My favorite GTA weapon was the chain

(Thwack!!)

I suppose that the whole point of rpg's is to have a fantasy life. I am a fat gramma, and I don't look dangerous, but when my character rides a motorcycle into town, there is no locked cupboard that is safe, and trust me, Grandma is out there blowing away the monsters with the weapon of the month!

At least Mel and Edward don't go around breaking things in folks' homes like Link in Zelda for the super-nintendo did!

Agree on that one,Connie.But still,RPG games are made like that for one motive.To give even more evidence that it's not something which would happen anytime soon.One thing still bothers me:

In some parts of Aveyond,you can steal things without a problem,and then,at times,suddenly,a person yells at you to don't open that box,and such.Quite contradictory if you ask me!

Agree on that one,Connie.But still,RPG games are made like that for one motive.To give even more evidence that it's not something which would happen anytime soon.One thing still bothers me:

In some parts of Aveyond,you can steal things without a problem,and then,at times,suddenly,a person yells at you to don't open that box,and such.Quite contradictory if you ask me!

----EDIT----

Sorry for double post,my browser went mad,and posted it twice.I am asking apologize to the mods,and kindly,ask them if can remove one of those.

@klaus; not really. it just means some npcs are more aware of what you're doing than others.

Still, I have no problems with looting everything I see in games lol. I make it a habit of trying to complete a game without buying anything. (AV you can't do that) That means I need loot. :evil:

connielj001 wrote:

@ Brown - the sword made of grandmothers also gives 20 gp on your birthday (lol)

So it's an infinite source of dessert(cookies & brownies) plus it gives you money on your birthday? It's a must for every hero. lol

I just remembered that in "The Healer" and "All is Not Lost" (homemade games made by alexia, they can be found on ---- if you look there) there was a chest in the princess's room, and you were only able to get what's inside when she's having dinner. Also, there was a merchant sleeping with a dog around, and whenever you tried opening the chest to see what's in, the dog would bark, waking the merchant up and getting you a scolding.

I liked how realistic those events were. Too bad the games weren't finished beyond a 30 min ~ 1 hour demo. -.- Oh well ...

removed website address ~tiniponi

One thing I have not figured out at RPG games:Why in the world are chests left everywhere,with powerful equipment and such?!I mean,that's very unrealistic even for those games,but I never struggled much to understand it and enjoyed the games as they are.i always liked to find pieces of final equipment sets in chests in final dungeon.Is cool.But still,anyone has any explanation for my question?

Lol~!Rofl!I remember the expert mode,oh yeah!

Rhen:Takes critical damage,12.

Spider:Takes 1 damage.

Rhen:Takes 15 critical damage.dies.XD

That is not realistic at all.What is that,and elephant spider?

And yes,I always wondered what's with the dead monster loot,but didn't bothered me as much as the chests.

hey, spiders can be poisonous. And the chickens were the best.

...but what about mushrooms? Seriously, mushrooms?!? (aveyond 3)

---

So with me it was vice versa on the chest/monsters.

things are supposed to be in chests.

in monster guts... not so much.

I think that things should be in bags,it would be close to reality.And really,the chickens made my friends fall of laughter.But one thing is odd,and interesting too.A 3 headed snake can't kill you easily (Cave Snake),but a bee can actually kill you?!That is interesting.And oh yeah,the lovely and interesting mushrooms!The magic mushrooms in Aveyond 1.I swear that Ahriman's Prophecy had more realistic monsters added.

----EDIT----

The sparkles were the most interesting.I mean,what are they going to do to you,blind you to the death with their cursed flashlight?!

Still,RPG games are fun BECAUSE of those,and I love them.

@klaus: how is bags any more realistic than chests? You don't find random bags lying around with uber equipment in real life.

And if you really want to think about how whacky rpg 'logic' is:

How and where the heck do your characters carry 9 million gold coins, several hundred pounds worth of weapons, armors, accessories, healing items, and shields?

How come your characters can function with only sleep in an inn? In real life, a human would be insane by the 7th day of sleep deprivation.

How come your characters never need to use the bathroom?

How come nothing can kill your characters, only knock them out? (generally. in fire emblem a death is a true death, which is really rare in rpg games. )

How come your characters don't need to eat? I'm able to walk around for days with no food. Especially teijal who's a vampire.

How come time is so whacky in Aveyond? A single day can be me traveling between the continents an infinite number of times.

How come I can only use 3 people in my group? I got a harem of people. Why can't you use them all?

Let me add to that list

How do characters know what we want to ask?

Is our bag bottomless

How can our Party climb up a snowy mountain and travel a desert in the same type of clothes?

Why do we not change clothes?

Do we ever shower?

My game,I am making a script which will focus onto real logic.Such as the fact that the character will get sleepy after an x time of playing without rest,or that are more stages of wound,from light to deadly,which must be used bandages to remove as status,and so on and so on.Btw,ideas are copyrighted.

@theone:

How in Aveyond do you fit 7+ people in a single bed?

@klaus: do your characters stay dead permanently when killed, require 3 meals a day, need to constantly repair their weapons due to use and eventually get new weapons to replace their broken ones, are limited in equipment/stuff they can carry, need to set up guard schedules at night, and at least shower?

Yup,all that.With one exception,they don't die,they will enter coma or hemorrhage,and end up at the closest hospital.

And the bag,that's the first limitation.Each person can carry one bag,each of them having limited space,and the characters not being able to carry heavy armor in backpack,or anything similar.

Again,copyrights for everything.

@klaus: you do realize that other games have done those before yes?

death- fire emblem

weight limit- most recent one i can remember is champions of norrath

hospital- pokemon

So you can't copyright something that happens in previous rpgs already. Otherwise you would be paying them royalities lol.

Weight limit is something common,really.That is not copyrighted.Hospitals,not too common,but usual,and I guess the coma and hemorrhage are mine.Or they appear anywhere else,really?I do not think so.