Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

Eeeee! Books!

That sucks, but if people don't use the library, I can see why they would close it. Some HS just never use their library for whatever reason. You can't force people to like reading. And with the textbook/homework association, yeah it's a huge uphill battle.

At my HS, the library's constantly being used so it's in no danger of being closed. Than again, 90% of the students are generally gonna be the nerdy/geeky/very studious types of some sort so lots of reading is involved.

Your lucky. Lots of people at your HS actually read, even if it is for study.

My library you will not see any body apart from the teachers for a whole month. It's like a ghost town in there.

I love books! I will always prefer physical books to e-books.

> I love the smell of paper. I always flip through books and smell the soft breeze that comes out of it. Although Amortentia is fictional, I know how it will smell to me.

> I like to feel the pages of the book. It tells me where I am. E-books may have the percent thing, but it looks so synthetic to me.

> Books are my personal obsession. I love to collect them. I get a sense of contentment every time I see them stacked together.

> Physical books don't need power or electricity to be read. Unlike e-books. They're totally dependent to batteries.

> I can buy second hand books, which are very much cheaper than the brand new ones. Especially, when looking for a book that has been published a long time age, I'm sure to find it in a second hand bookstore. Second hand e-books? I don't think there's such a thing.

> Some books gets more expensive over time. Specially the first edition ones. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone first edition original price is 10.99 pounds. It was sold later on at 29875 US$.

@Nurmengard: I agree with some of your points, but I'll have to say something regarding the second-hand e-books.

At the library in my city they lend e-books. I have never been there to see how they do that, but I am pretty sure they work on the "___days trial" system the trials of games work. That is way convenient for me.

And e-books are really handy for a person like me, that reads a lot and reads 3-4 books at a time. I mean, I wouldn't go to school carrying three books, but I would most certainly go with my 7mm thin Kindle.

Also, durability. Books are, in my opinion more fragile. I really like keeping books intact for as long as I can. I die when I see a folded corner or when books with thin cardboard covers are being twisted around the book. But you can't actually do that with an e-book reader.

I agree with Nurmengard. I get enjoyment from having and collecting the actual book. The same goes for movies. I will buy a dvd/blu-ray of a movie that I really like that is available on netflix. BUT I do see Ruffi's point as being a valid one for her situation. I just hope that paper books never become extinct in lieu of digital ones.

I would personally never completely replace real books with ebooks. My family has a lot of books but we just don't have any room for them anymore. We keep trying to move them all to another house to make room for new ones. Mom always rolls her eyes when I come home with new books.

That aside, I also have books published in the early 1900's that my grandfather kept, with wooden covers and all. But I cherish them so much and would hate to see them fall apart when a dozen other newer books sit in stacks on them.

I grew up with my face in a book, and it is likely that is how it will be for the rest of my life.

I am not averse to e-books. In fact, I do agree with you on their merits, yet hardcover and paperbacks will always remain my preferred agents of knowledge.

Besides--I really like libraries. There is just something about the feeling of owning several books and having them on display also for you and for others' viewing pleasure.

I personally prefer reading books the old-fashioned way. Reading on a screen . . . it just feels intrusive. When I'm reading a book, I'm free of the screen and it's just me and the book and . . . man, I sound really corny. Screens sometimes irritate my eyes (yeah, ironic that I say this on the internet), but books never do.

*dusting off*

I think it depends on what type of reader you have. If you have one that is self-illuminated (Kindle Fire or some Nooks, for example), I've found that those are like viewing a computer screen, and they can cause eye fatigue after a while.

Those that need a light are really quite easy on the eyes. I work on a computer all day, but I can come home and read on my Kindle Touch for several hours without problem.

I had a goose neck light for my K1 that worked, but when I got the Touch, I sprung for the lighted cover. It works much better. It pulls power from the Kindle battery, but since I only turn the wireless on when I am actively getting a book, I still get a good two weeks or so between charges.

I personally have a kindle and I find books to read online all the time. But personally, I love having a real book in my hands. There's nothing better than curling up in your favorite book reading spot and becoming enchanted with the pages of a book. I love feeling the pages as i flip to a new page. I even love the smell of books

I believe that there is no alternative to a real book. Though e-readers like kindles are convenient for many reasons, you don't get the same experience as you do with a real book. Even the e-reader that resemble real pages in a book just are not the same.

I also love visiting my local library. I love being surrounded by books. The books just seem to wait for you to pick them up. I would hate to see that change, for library hold a special place in my heart.

Though paper-books becoming rare is a real possibility, I think it will be a sad day when it happens.

I like reading e-books, the first time I found out I could read using my mobile phone. I bought a lot of e-books. Nice things about it are:

I could read even if the light in our room is off, my roommates always wants the lights out when they're sleeping

I could read book comfortably even if it has pages as massive as an encyclopedia.

People can't see the cover of the book while I am reading,

The only con I could think of is feeling the heat from the gadget I am reading from. I couldn't read without stopping on days when it's hot. The heat could wreck things inside the gadget, and my body, probably.

I have a Kindle, and I also enjoy reading paper books. I prefer the Kindle because I can carry around my entire collection in a compact form that weighs less than one paper book. The Kindle I have is not backlit, so it is extremely easy to read when I am outside, inside, or riding in a car or on the bus. I know a lot of people prefer reading paperbacks, but I honestly would not be sad if paperbacks fell out of production. I don't necessarily mean that any paperbacks in existence already would stop being traded or sold, but there is no reason to cut down so many trees just so you can enjoy the feel and smell of the dead paper. This is especially nonsensical when there is a perfectly viable alternative in the e-readers that are currently and will be available in the future. I know a few people mentioned a drawback of the e-reader is that getting it wet can damage it, but I've spilled drinks on my Kindle and had it in the rain and still have no problems with it. I do know people, however, who have cracked the screen on their Kindles. I tend to take extra special care of my Kindle, just as I would with any paper book that I have ever had, so it's really not an issue to me. It's also nice to have your Kindle library available for download across multiple media, such as the Kindle reader for PC, phone, and the actual Kindle, so if I am in a dark area that needs a backlit screen, I can switch from my Kindle to my phone without having to figure out what page I'm on, since it keeps track of that for me across all of my devices.

E-books are real books. They are just in a different format.

I'll be getting my new Kindle Voyage tomorrow (I am so loving that Amazon is offering Sunday delivery now) and can't wait to get it all set up. My cover and skins arrived earlier this week. I have a beautiful, deep-green, leather cover from Oberon Designs that feels so luxurious. And I ordered two different skins from Decalgirl - Ichabods Forest and Shaded Pathway. I think I'll use the former first, because I like the combination of the green cover and the blues in the skin.

Those of you who have Kindles (or other e-readers), have you named them? My first gen Kindle was called 'Marius', after my favorite character in Anne Rice's vampire series. Staying with that cast of characters, my Touch was named 'Pandora', and I've decided to call the Voyage 'Maharet'. I may have to switch series after this one, because I'm not really fond enough of any of the other characters. ;)

@BlackPirncess: A quick go at googling revealed the series to be named Vampire Chronicles.

As far as e-books go, I'm not sure I could get used to them. Plus, I can't afford an e-reader, so I don't want to think about it too much. :P

Wht's the name of the vampire series?

It's The Vampire Chronicles. It began with Interview With the Vampire and has quite a few books after that. I love the books (with one or two exceptions) because she put a fun twist on vampires. Another good series of hers (and one she tied in with the vampires later on), is The Lives of the Mayfair Witches series.

I'm in for real books, though the kindle is really awesome. Real books are a pleasure to read, something I never found much in the electronic counterparts

Sent from my Aqua HD using Aveyond Kingdom