Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

On a "Journey"

On a "Journey"

We have a game that we play at Amaranth HQ. Rather, I have a game I play and everyone else rolls their eyes at me & throws whatever is handy.

Still, it's a pretty cool game to play on a long car ride or - in our case - via the forums.

The game came to us one day at the bar. The bartender, a hefty set man named Chad, casually looked over at me and said, "Ever stop to think how many bands have some kind of food related name?" It was on like Donkey Kong. The game is simple: Lay down some kind of rule involving thinking up all the bands that fit.

That night started with simply naming bands that have food names (Cake, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Ect.). We'd later bring up several other category ideas, such as bands that have a song containing their name either in the title or lyrics (Beasty Boys, Bad Company, Digital Underground, MC Hammer, Ect.) and so on.

That's the bare basic form of the game and plenty of fun. You can make it far more complex if you like. For instance each person has to lay down a sentence containing a band name, the next person has to lay down a sentence involving the title of one of their songs, then a followup sentence with another band name.

"I am going on a Journey." "We should be safe on our trip as long as we Don't Stop Believing." "I'm not sure I can, my Faith Hill is kinda small." ect. The objective is to go for as long as possible (not to stump the other person).

We'll stick to the easy method for now though: Here's today's category

Bands who's names or people in the band who's names are abbreviated:

Example: Beasty Boys (MIke D.) or MC Hammer

GO!

Words from The Fool:

The only thing worse than sitting in a car playing a car game is sitting in a car in complete silence. Sometimes we are tired of reading and the radio sucks and the person sitting next to you hasn't had a new story to tell you in over 20 years; which is kinda how I expect long term marriage to be... so what do we do? We think of clever ways to fill that dark void of silence with mildly amusing games. Ghost is my favorite, but it is pretty tough to find an opponent who's evenly matched, so it is not really any fun for the person getting stomped. This is why "cooperative" or "victoryless" games like our game above are so much more popular. Videogames are more or less the same way, which is why player vs player centric online games all face very severe difficulty and are less likely to succeed than traditional MMOs like WoW. No Fooling.

hmmmmm.... more like "the Sunshine Band will shine through the clouds soon!" shaz.

anyway....

"hey look! that shop looks cheap. i wanted to buy some Plain White T's..... and there's a 20/20 chance I'll get a good deal. U2 shaz! you should by one too!"

BAM!!!! three in one shot. how awesome was that?

oh - I thought the quest was to name bands where the band name or a member had initials.

We'll stick to the easy method for now though: Here's today's category

Bands who's names or people in the band who's names are abbreviated:

Example: Beasty Boys (MIke D.) or MC Hammer

GO!

g-dragon! you have no idea how long it took me to think of one XD

korean artist i like. fairly well-known--at least, all my korean friends are familiar with his stuff...

did anyone ever NOT? The full name was rarely used down here.

Look at them all coming out now, and I'm hitting my head thinking "I should have thought of that one!"

B-52's (not that I know if the B stands for anything)

REO Speedwagon (ditto)

Jay Chou--okay, so it isn't J Chou, but his name is not, in fact, Jay. so i count it XD

EDIT: Also TSO--Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Ok wait a sec, NOBODY calls them TSO... it makes them sound like the guys who go through your luggage before boarding a plane.

"Did you see TSO last night!?"

"Yeah, they were kind enough to use a rubber glove this time."

... :-P

Run-D.M.C.

B.B. King

I'd expect more of the 'recent' groups would have initials as part of the group name or a member's name. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't keep up with them all :)