Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
pinkjaguar12

Internet Message Boards

I was browsing YouTube today and commented on a video someone had uploaded. In the video there was a clip from the new Harry Potter movie, and I love the series (read it over again at least five times), so i commented, saying how i couldn't wait for the next movie to come out because it had *insert favorite scene here*. After a review of my comment later, I noticed that I hadn't said anything that could have spoiled anything, unless you count revealing a scene that happened (i.e. John and Mary went into the store) spoiling, which I don't.

Anyway, not one hour later, some random dude replies and calls me names "for telling everyone whats going to happen"

anyway, it got me thinking. how many times a day does this happen to people? how many times are people ridiculed or called names or fit into a sexual innuendo box by random people on the internet?

In my opinion, these people need to get a life. What do you stand to gain from typing words into a small box and pressing enter? I don't see people getting paid to do these things.

What do you guys think of these people on internet message boards? What do you think should be done about them, if anything at all?

I agree with you that people should not resort to name-calling, esp if it's random and comes out of nowhere. No exceptions.

On the other hand, if I may say something about spoiler-posting... how do I put this? Sometimes some people just don't wanna know ANYTHING about it until they've seen it for themselves (which is why we have a policy of whiting out all spoilers on the game topics here for the first month after release at least, but you can't do that on Youtube, can you?). I remember when HP6's book first came out, I was so excited about it I blurted out a MAJOR spoiler all over my MSN status, and minutes later most of my HP friends came crying to me for spoiling it for them. None of them called me names, but I felt so bad for spoiling so many people that I never did it again, no matter how excited I am. It could be a small scene, it could be a huge turning point, but my policy for new media is "don't ask, don't tell".

Ah, Trolls. The general advice? Don't feed the trolls

Most of the time, trolls are just there to incite some type of reaction. Best way to do that is to insult people. If they don't incite a reaction, they generally leave. If they do, they hang around.

Sometimes they're just hit and run trolls too.

Though I suspect Warner Bros put the first 36 minutes on purpose because the quality is excellent and the timing way TOO early. Probably something as a teaser for fans like me who thought it would be rubbish like the previous 4, that is HP 3, 4, 5,6.

@Theone

Or people could have got a version when it was being screened before the release.

@pinkjaguar13

Trolls just say things to incite an argument. It's their idea of fun. Should they find someone better? Probably. Will they? Probably not.

Like KTC said, it's best just to ignore them.

I call people names all the time! Amanda, Shaz, Mom... Dad... Gosh name calling is basically a requirement for identification these days. Except my daughter: I call her "Hey you."

-Fool (Always clowning around on serious subjects)

@pink: what I think of them? Annoying but able to ignore easily, especially if you've seen their trash for years lol.

Sometimes I read their rants for fun.

Though one time there was this nice troll who didn't resort to insults and had a good grasp on grammar. Even better, she stopped when asked to. Now that was an entertaining troll. Wish the rest of her colleagues were like that.

Yeah I've experienced this on you tube myself.

I had just posted something like this on youtube:

" "Oh wow! That is so cool! I'm so happy someone finally understood this!"

*Does happy dance* "

So.....half an hour later I get a reply to my comment:

" "Why are you doing something like that? The '*does happy dance*' It sounds like something people from Club Penguin would do. Stop that. "

I guess some people just don't like stuff like that. Anyway, I think the thing is, like everyone says, there are always some people who want to post something like that. We have to ignore them, I guess. But some people argue back and the arguments can last for a long time.....totally spams the video.... >_<

@ phoenixalia - LOL! That person must be really serious and gloomy XD Or maybe just too mature, bleh.

I've never posted anything on youtube. I go there only to watch the opening songs of various anime and occasionally, a few Rap songs. I look down at the comments, and I see disagreements in most pages. Suppose a person A, who "doesn't like" the video and says something completely mean and then person B who "likes" it comes and says something bad about the person A. >_< And it's mostly always sarcastic or outright abusive comments, although sometimes they're classified as just 'mean'.

That's why I never post there. Considering the happy-go-lucky penguin I am, I'll probably face the same situation and phoe-chan above :D

@pinkjaguar13 I don't know why trolls are the way they are and of course I agree that they're wrong. This isn't quite the same thing as being mean for spoiling an ending to something, but it is the ultimate despicable troll behaviour-Thought you might enjoy this article here of an internet troll earning jail time for being stupid enough to brag to people on his street about being an internet troll. Again, no idea why it would be brag worthy and I can't comprehend why someone would ever want to say terrible things on a memorial site...brutal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11650593

In your case I wouldn't call it spoiling, but spoiling can happen witout you even notice.

Someone actually spoiled aveyond TLO for me, and I couldn't help but hate it (I select below content to reveal what happened to me):

I'm not sure on what forum it was, but it was going about nox (I think), someone said he wouldn't be surprised if it was gyendal in disguise trying to seduce Mel again. it wasn't hard to find out he was talking about spook (I king of tought he was anyway, because he was useless as a thief, and became playable way to late in the game)

the second time this happened to me was when I read a fan-made interwiew with spook (written by aegas I think) at the end it said "you don't have to run spook, i know you're gyendal in disguise!!!

anyways, I hate people who use aggresive language because you did something they don't like. for me it's a sign that the one who wrote it is not intelligent.

I really hate it when they start to blame you from being something you aren't.

example: you post a picture of a man wearing a sombrero and eating a taco. Write LOL below it. Wait and see how many people will call you a racist

Trolls. >_> Always a headache, makes me want to push them (if I only could!). But the best cure is to hunger the trolls.

These trolls can be considered as "attention seekers", always instigating a fight in which you sometimes do not even intend to do so.

On the case of spoilers however, it's alright if you did it at the right place AND at the right time. However, there should be some sort of limit - something that would only give a clue to the person even if it's at the right place and at the right time.

The thing is You Tube is filled with crazies who want to insult people to feel good about themselves. Harsh but true. Best thing to do is not to comment at all or comment and not return to see the answers. a veil of anonymity gives people the confidence to do what they otherwise can not, that is annoying people. Why?

So they can tell themselves that the miserable lives they are living is awesome