Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scimitras

Ridgaellan Prep- A curious RP

Jadus certainly knew what she was doing. Erith had no trouble in following the other girl since Jadus neither hesitated nor make any corrections. It was almost as if the pair was being drawn to the ocean by an invisible pull. Erith couldn’t feel it, but Jadus was definitely in tune with whatever it was. Soon enough, however, even Erith could tell the open salt air was ahead. The tang of sand and sea wafted in gusts down the tunnel even as the eerie crystalline light gave way to bright sun. The crash of the waves seemed to sweep over Erith in a welcoming swirl.

As she emerged from the tunnel onto the pristine sand, Erith stopped and closed her eyes to take a huge breath. She could feel the tension and confusion which had seemed her constant companions since leaving home vanish. Opening her eyes again, Erith gazed happily at the expansive beach front and sparkling water.

Jadus seemed happy with the arrangements as well and had already reached the water’s edge. "Isn't it wonderful?” Jadus asked, echoing Erith’s thoughts. “Oh yes!” Erith exclaimed, sliding out of her boots. Erith jogged onto the beach feeling her calf muscles stretch on the soft, sliding sand. At the water’s edge, the sand firmed up and Erith’s pace slowed. “Is the water warm?” she asked wondering if there was time for a quick swim before the orientation. “I’m dying to go in. There’s just something wonderful about the power of the oceans.” The pull of the waves was nearly irresistible. Perhaps access to this lovely place would compensate for whatever the school and it’s dean had planned…perhaps.

"FIFTEEN MINUTES UNTIL ORIENTATION. ALL STUDENTS TO THE TRAINING GROUNDS. UNIFORMS ON. THANK YOU."

Demetri woke with a start. How long had he been sleeping. "Training grounds.." He thought groggily.

Where the hell were the--

Suddenly, he felt a sharp.. pull, at his mind. It was very unsettling. Like someone had unlocked something, something dear...

The feeling was so intense he doubted anyone, magical or not, would not be unsettled by it. The power behind it, the sheer power.. Simply the intensity of the after-thought gave Demetri a headache.

But suddenly.. He had the town memorized. Not just the town, but the outskirts of the town as well. He went over it in his mind.

Houses created a ring around the central plaza... There was the town square, complete with a huge fountain.. With several shoppes around it. The Glass Eye Inn, School Supplies, ...Magick..., the list went on... Outside the ring of houses the hills began and the cherry blossoms bloomed..

Then there was the ivy wall..

Beyond the wall there were no cherry blossoms. A forest, very thick and mossy surrounded the entire area... Shafts of light broke through the trees creating a beautiful, almost magical sight. The picture was so clear in Demetri's mind it was as if he has seen it a million times, been there, grew up there.. The trees covered everything, except to the left of the town.. Past the trees there, a huge beach... And an island about a mile off of the beach. A small island, maybe three square miles..

To the right of the town where the trees parted, there were cliffs... Rocky, ragged cliffs and soft, dusty cliffs.. A series of mountains littered with caves.. That's as far as he could see.

Somewhere in the outskirts, the trees parted and there was the training grounds.. Demetri had the exact location memorized to a cue.

"That's convenient." He muttered to himself.

He hopped out of the tree and walked back to his house. He smirked as he realized it was the first time he'd walked since he got to Ridgaellan.

Using his new mind-map, he found his house immediately. Without wasting time looking around, he went over to a hammock in the corner of the room and opened the chest next to it.

Inside, a tan robe lined with navy blue was waiting for him, with a note attached.

"This is your uniform. Please keep your uniform separate from the opposite sex, as the color coding is very specific."

Demetri wondered what the girls looked like.. Maybe they were shorter.. Thinner..

He grinned, shook his head and laughed. After putting on the robe (which was much heavier than he expected it to be), he left the house, and ran towards the town gates, headed for the Training Grounds.

As he rimmed the edge of the forest towards the beach, he saw two figures out on the sand.

Pirate boy and Red.

He laughed as he passed. He didn't find the couple unusual in the slightest. They had been talking from the start.

"Eek!" Xen jumped as the orientation annoucement boomed through campus. She smiled sheepishly at Taran and said apologetically, "Maybe some other time...I'm sure we'll have a lot of time...a whole year, actually."

The bout of sarcasm shot through unconsciously, and when she realized what she just did, she blushed faintly.

"Anyway, Taran...we have to go, I suppose."

And she rushed out.

---

Scanning the skies in her eagle form, she found the training grounds, but not her house. She had been out for only a few seconds, but her eagle eyes scrutinized everything - the town was fairly small.

Her wing batted, and her now-gold eyes spotted her family crest on somewhere other than her being. She dived.

The house was fairly simple from the outside, and had an open roof and its own training ground, but she didn't care about that and rushed inside, ignoring everything. She didn't have time to look at her home, but her eyes fixated on a mahongany wardrobe much like the one back home. She threw it open, grabbed a random, formal fabric that looked boring and uniform enough (with the fact that other than that there were only kimonos of all kinds stuffed in it) and she quickly transferred into it.

It was kind of comfortable, but she turned into an eagle yet again, and flew towards the training grounds - not hers, the town's.

((@Scimitras: Actually, my character is with ljspence's character Erith. ;)))

Jadus jumped as the announcement boomed over the beach. "I guess that answers your question," she said to Erith. With the announcement came a sudden pain in her head, and a map of the town lay ingrained in her mind. "I guess I'll go see about getting my uniform on... See you later!" She called to Erith before heading back into the tunnels again. With her new knowledge of the village and its surrounding areas she quickly made her way back to the "school". With a grimace she brought out her new uniform. It was an ugly tan with ribbons of bright green streaking across the monotony. Jadus stripped off her clothes and slipped the uniform over her head. There was also another note attached that she didn't bother to read and a green ribbon matching the accents on the robe. She quickly jerked it around her hair and left the cottage.

The route to the Training Grounds was easy enough; while there was no path, Jadus's mental map quickly found the way. She was amused to see Demetri walking his way to the Training Ground in his uniform (although she doubted she looked much better in hers) and surprised to see the beach from atop the cliffs just outside the village. It had seemed like much farther going through the caves. She also saw a lighthouse, although there did not appear to be a harbor anywhere nearby.

When Jadus finally reached the Training Grounds she was the first one there. Apparently Dem had managed to dawdle his way behind her, and she had no idea where everyone else was. The Grounds were sparse; it was basically a field of grass with paving stones scattered around, apparent remnants of a different time. Stone sentinels guarded the field in the shape of different primal gods, and a tower of stacked stones stood in a far corner. Otherwise, the Grounds were empty. Jadus sat and waited, especially interested in the statues. She identified her personal enemy the Boar Goddess amongst them, and Jaim the Antlered, an acquaintance. Jadus supposed that many of the other spirits had simply stopped existing when they were forgotten. All that was left were their faces carved in stone.

Erith’s good mood burst into a thousand fragments as a new irritating announcement came. It also seemed to impart some sort of location information. It was much more detailed than the simple map to the cave had shown. It was useful, but just one more disturbing, controlling methodology being used. Erith was not amused.

Jadus had rushed off to comply with the new orders. “Okay Jadus, I guess I’ll see you at the training grounds then,” Erith called after her. It was such a shame to waste the opportunity to get into the water, but there was always the possibility that answers of some sort might be forthcoming at the orientation. It might be a fool’s hope since up until now there hadn’t been anything of the sort, but Erith hated to be without knowledge, so it was back to the house for her.

The way back was much shorter with the new found mind mapping. It was an odd trick, but obviously useful. Erith wondered if there was something left out though. Controlling information was obviously a passion for the administration, so she wouldn’t be surprised if the map wasn’t quite as complete as it seemed. Breaking into a smooth jog once back out of the cave, Erith quickly reached the house and unlocked the door.

With a regretful look at the still untouched instruments, Erith headed up the stairs to the bedroom. Her own chest was still there, but Erith headed for the sliding door closets and rolled back the doorway. Erith grimaced at the ugly looking tan and green robe inside. Sheesh, no sense of style either, she thought. Nobody wore this sort of stuff anymore. These guys seem stuck in some sort of time warp. The safe that the dean had mentioned was on the floor, so Erith peeked inside. Oddly the safe wasn’t locked – so why a safe? Erith wondered. It held money though, so she was rather reassured that her daily expenses might not be a problem. Holding onto her money still seemed like a good idea. The temptation to dump the uniform and show up as she was flickered through Erith’s mind, but the need for information won out. Removing her lute and blowing out a huge sigh, Erith slipped on the shapeless robe and tied the green ties. Feeling like she was wearing a floppy feed sack, Erith vowed to take a pair of sheers and make some darts or something as well as take up the hem. Only peripherally did Erith read the note attached to the uniform. So, no color changes she mused, too bad. Still, there was no time to do anything anyway. Orientation was due to start soon and she needed to head out so she wouldn’t be late. On the way out the door Erith picked up a small wooden flute and tucked it into her wide left sleeve. It just didn’t seem right to go anywhere without some sort of instrument, but the lute would never work with these sleeves. Turning to lock the door to her house, Erith set off at a jog for the training grounds to see what might be next and hopefully to reunite with her new friend.

-Eirika

Well, she was asleep, more or less and defendless and had some silent snore. She looked somehow tired and might not awake by anytime soon. Unluckily, there was a later announcement that told the students to gather at the training ground and Eirika was unaware with that since she was a dead sleep.

--Few minutes later--

"Hah?" Eirika sounded in her sleep. She stirred a bit and started to wake. Noticing how long she had asleep, she jumped out of her bed quickly to see the nearby chest without a word. It looked really at the most plainness and also a bit loose. Eirika was making haste and slipping into the robe, tying the tie and finally dashed off. She didn't care whether she had locked the for or not, but she ran fast.

"Eh? Do I know where is the place to gather??", she asked herself as she stopped. Having 2 question marks above her head, she walked in speed instead of running, looking for any place that had any student. "Argh! I'm really going to be late! ... Hey, do I really have to worry about school?" Eirika complained. "Where?!?!"

((I'm here, but there's no point for me to make another post. My character is just waiting for something to happen.

I think this needs to be made clear: Open-ended RP posts are not a good idea. It makes it hard for anyone else to interact with your character and it makes it harder for you to make another post. Ending with things like "she continued on her way to [destination]" pretty much puts the RP at a standstill. A post should include a resolution so that the character and all of the rest of the characters are not left hanging.

Sorry about that. I've just noticed that when a post IS open-ended, the RP generally slows down until another person makes a decisive move; kind of "clearing the air".))

((there was a while that i wasn't around--eaten by calc, etc. so i've kind of been drifting in and out of existance XD))

Taran bade a hasty farewell to Xen, chuckled at her, "a whole year, I suppose" remark (as it was exactly the type of thing he would've said himself) and set off to find the key that matched up with the lock--and, more importantly, where he was sleeping and where this required uniform was. He hated the thought of a uniform--he'd been wearing the same type of clothes for more than two centuries and had no interest in changing that--but he figured he probably shouldn't mess with someone capable of interdimensional projection.

At least, not yet.

Taran looked around him. The mark on the key was a lightning bolt. So one of these buildings should be marked with a lightning bolt as well....except not. He glanced around again, wondering if he would entirely object to not finding his uniform.

There was a "cloud" building. Worth a shot, he mused, slipping the key into the lock. It turned easily, and Taran found himself in a room that looked as if it had been directly pulled from his castle in Skyes. The same tiles on the floor, the same carpets. The same walls and windows and pools. Same furniture. The only real difference was the view out the windows (which looked similar, but nothing could ever quite be the same) and the arrangement of the furniture. It wasn't Skyes, but it also wasn't an exact replica nor mirror of anywhere in the castle. On some level, that was comforting.

Taran tossed his cloak on his bed and found a heavy, shapeless, tan robe in his wardrobe. He sighed, but pulled it on anyways. He had never worn something so heavy before--the chances of him being able to fight physically in this thing were slim to none. Even so, he kept kris tucked under it. Even if he couldn't use it, it was comforting to have.

Suddenly, he snarled and fell to his knees, one hand on his throbbing temple and the other hand on his knife. Someone had broken through the many layers of mental defenses he used against mind-reading. Just as suddenly as the pain had come, it was gone--and the entire town and the surrounding area were clear as crystal in his mind.

For maybe the third time in his life, Taran was frightened. No one had ever been able to do that, and the sheer fact that someone here wanted to was deeply troubling. As sure as he was that that mental map would be helpful, he didn't want it.

He locked the door and dragged himself toward the training grounds, hating this more every minute.

((haha--what was that about open-ended RP posts? XP))

Erith cursed the flop, flop, flop of the baggy robe over her calves as she hurried along. It was also a bit uncomfortably warm now that she was away from the ocean breezes again. “A pox on stupid uniforms,” she thought to herself as she puffed a bit.

With the mental map, Erith didn’t waste time on her way to the training grounds. The village was small for a school really, so that in almost no time at all, she was beyond the walls and into the forest. “At least it is a bit cooler in the shade,” she thought. She knew, however, that the training grounds were an open area. “Hope we don’t all melt to death while we listen to the orientation session. I should have brought some water along. I’m such a hopeless planner,” she mused to herself.

Stumbling a bit as the forest abruptly gave way to the grassy area of the training grounds, Erith stopped to catch her breath. Jadus was there already and somehow managed to look better in her uniform than Erith did. “That figures,” Erith thought. Erith waved to her friend and tried to get an idea of what sort of place this was. She stared at the odd statuary. A few of the figures looked familiar, but others were decidedly odd. “Wow, weird place!” she exclaimed. “I can’t say this was what I expected at all. Just what sort of training goes on here?”

Slowly walking into the center of the area towards Jadus, Erith frowned in puzzlement. Everything about this school got weirder and weirder. “Any sign of the Dean yet? Our time should be just about up I should think.”

Jadus stood up and dusted herself off. "Hi again!" she called to Erith before walking over to her friend. They were the only two at the Training Grounds so far; decidedly odd that Dem still had not gotten there yet, and Jadus supposed that the assembly was about to begin. "No sign of the dean yet. Not that I'm disappointed... He kinda creeps me out -- he's way more powerful than he looks."

Suddenly another announcement rang out. "The assembly will begin momentarily. All who have not arrived will be given suitable punishment and restricted access. Do not be late again." The announcement ended with a blast of dark energy around the Training Grounds and suddenly the entire class was deposited in the center of the clearing as if by a strong gust of wind. They were all in their uniforms, although some were obviously surprised by their new clothing. The group did not have much time to ponder their new surroundings before the dean appeared at one end of the grounds. Once again he was represented by an astral projection; he had a malicious glint in his eye.

"Hello, class! It is time for a test. Last one standing will be -- ah, rewarded." The dean raised his arms and the entire Training Ground suddenly shifted into a large arena vaguely reminiscent of the square of grass, stone, and statues from before. There was a stand of trees on one side of the arena, a glassy lake on another side, an open field against a third wall, and a rocky hillside took up the fourth quarter of the arena. In the center was a pile of weapons.

The dean was situated atop one of four stands around the arena. He was nearest to the grassy area. Another man sat across from him in front of the rocky area. Two unfamiliar women sat before the lake and the forest. Jadus could tell they were all thoroughly dangerous -- but were their apparent domains safer than the crowded center of the arena? With something like panic in her eyes she turned to Erith, grabbed the girl, and ran toward the lake. An arrow whistled past Jadus's ear, and when she looked back it was not another student that had sent the arrow but the forest woman. Crap, thought Jadus.

Demetri finally made it to the grounds. He hadn't realized how slowly he had been walking, lost in his thoughts and immersed in his ideals of what this new home would hold for him.

(Can I remind everyone that EVERYONE can control the dean?).

Arriving, he saw the people around him, but still no dean. He frowned.

"Well?" He yelled, to no one in particular. Maybe the dean was watching. Brow furrowed and pouting, demetri proceeded to climb the nearest tree.

((@iPink: wait, what happened? I seemed lost in there*scratches*. What do you mean by that 'forest woman' and the 'lake woman'? If you meant that the forest one that mine, then i'd screw myself after. She even lost her weapon(peers to the weapons at the center).

well, whatever. Just say if she's really Eirika or not.))

Erith’s brain was whirling. First the other students had been yanked into the training area, and then the Dean had somehow transformed it into an arena. There had been a singularly unclear announcement about some sort of test. Erith was getting angry. This was NOT an orientation; the school was extremely high handed and now downright dangerous. Jadus had grabbed Erith’s hand and dragged her towards the water area, but only narrowly avoided an arrow sent by the woman near the forest area. Erith doubly cursed the stupid uniform since it made running much slower.

At the edge of the water, Erith stopped and pulled out her flute with shaking hands. Closing her eyes for a moment and taking a deep breath, Erith centered herself. Opening her eyes again, Erith played a quick series of notes. In response, an air shield formed around Erith. With sustained playing, Erith extended the shield outwards, embracing Jadus. None too soon, as a second arrow aimed at Jadus was deflected. With a final note, Erith tied the shield in place. It wouldn’t keep out anything large or heavy, but it would give the two a chance to do something without getting arrow holes in themselves.

At least if there was a water attack, Erith would be in pretty good shape and Jadus certainly had an affinity for it as well, so Erith wasn’t as worried about that corner, but the others would definitely be a problem. “By the dark gods, this is a mess,” Erith exclaimed. It was hard to keep track of where all of the attackers were not to mention the other students.

Apparently seeing that the arrows would no longer reach them, the man in front of the rock area raised his hands, sending huge boulders crashing down the slope towards the two. The shield would definitely not keep these out. “Watch out!” Erith exclaimed. “The shield won’t hold.”

((@shadowshed: There is a woman sitting in the stand before the forest. She is the "forest woman". Not Erika. :D))

Jadus admired Erith's shield as it deflected the arrow, but she did not have long to relax as a series of boulders were sent crashing towards them. "Ummm... run?" Jadus took Erith's hand again and dashed out of the way of the falling rocks. However, the fall had developed into a full-on landslide. With a push of her hand Jadus brought most of the water from the lake into the path of the boulders. Focusing, Jadus forced the water to grind the rocks to dust, a process that should have taken a thousand years. Losing her strength, Jadus fell to the ground as a sandstorm beat around the two friends for a minute before the sand settled down. Jadus used the last of her strength to form the water shield around them completely. "I think we'll be fine -- for now."

However, others were not so lucky. Jadus could vaguely see through the water the other students. The forest woman had managed to conjure a rain of arrows near her forest -- Jadus was glad that they were not on that side of the arena. The dean was charming a series of tornadoes in his field, and the man by the hill was raising the dust around the two girls into a choking mist. But the lake woman was simply sitting behind the girls smiling slightly. And Jadus thought she might be the most dangerous of all.

Taran snarled as he was dragged mysteriously into an arena. First people were breaking through his many mental barriers, and now they were dragging him to and fro.

Not ime to think about that, though--it appeared that "orientation" really meant "testing your skills cold."

Well, all right then.

He dove to the side as similar arrows to the ones fired at Jadus and Erith began to hit him. He cursed the robe he was wearing. The arrows were mostly not penentrating the thick cloth, but the ones that did were quite unpleasant. Rather than be able to take hits, Taran prefered to not take them at all--even if it meant not wearing armor.

"Watch out!" he heard Erith shout from within her shield. Large boulders were about to crush her and Jadus.

"I don't think so," Taran said to no one, pulling his kris from under his robe somewhat more clumsily than usual. Needing no urging beyond his mental command, the weapon and the ring on his hand sent lightning bolts to each boulder. The shock split the boulders into much more manageable pieces--ceratinly not fatal ones, even if they did make it through the shield.

As small rocks rained down, Taran had a few seconds to consider what was happening. The four walls didn't reflect the four elements, and that was somewhat troubling. More thinking was needed, and he didn't exactly have time to do a lot of that.

As if to underscore the lack of time, a third opponant appeared. There were two women--the ones attacking Jadus and Erith--and now a man was circling Taran. He was huge--built like a rock--but surprisingly quick for his immense size. Quicker than Taran was in this stupid robe.

"Oh--so you want to play rough?" Taran asked. The creature (for Taran doubted he was anything appraoching human) roared and lunged at him. Taran had never enjoyed fighting opponents lacking finesse or strategy, but that was rather unimportant.

Taran flung the heavy robe off and rolled, kris in his hand and feeling very agile. He locked the fingers of his left hand and lightning surrounded the creature. Perhaps he wasn't playing fair, but he wanted the dean (and anyone else who decided this was a good idea) to see that he was not amused, and was fairly capable.

Then again, letting them push him to his limit would be a bad thing as well--only thing worse than being understimated was being perfectly estimated.

"Huh?" Eirika let a small sound due to her surprise by bamming sounds from the edge of the town. What happened? Looks like a fight.. Eirika thought to herself, while watching for grounds flied around and somehow consumed by whatever fast, and turned into some sandstorm. She then thought that that must be something serious, and decided to take a look at them.

Running towards the place empty handed, she grabbed the front of her robe and pulled it so it became tighter, because she bothered by the hanged cloth around her body. The place seemed like an arena, which already been used. She noticed two girls near of fountain that half covered in muddy sand. "They must be the one who're taking care that stone grounds," Eirika muttered. They were surrounded by waterball that seemed unsteady.

Next in the screen when Eirika turned around, she saw that Taran was nearly stabbed by some arrow, and a warning voice from the little girl behind. After free from dodging that arrow, Taran was circled by some guy with big body. What? So big! Eirika struggled inside. The big thing roared at him which made him flung backwards and it surrounded by lightning. Was it him?

Eirika was pretty much watching the sharpness of that lightning, then noticed at a woman was preparing with her bow and taking a glance at Taran. Was she trying to aim at him? Eirika was tensed, making haste and noticing that there're some piled up weapons, Eirika grabbed out a bow and an arrow and immediately aimed for her first, then shoot the arrow. Eirika's arrow met with the woman's arrow in the midair and threw afterwards. "Got it! Not bad, to aiming birds for yea-" she was cut by thickened air that being sliced by another arrow, right to her. Had the second tense, she moved to right side to dodge the attack, but failed to dodge it in full moment. Her left arm was having a familiar stalk that had feathers on its end. She let out a small moan as her left sleeve was tainted in red gradualy. Trying to forget the pain and leave that thing still in her arm, Eirika reached for arrow to throw at her. Gah, this will be hard..