Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scimitras

Sexual Identity

@Kleptin

Of course. Gays didn't start it. It was immigrants that brought it into the US. And then it was spread amongst drug users and the gay population. Then it was eventually spread to straight population.

@Theone

I don't get your point. I already stated that the first reported cases were among the gay population.

@Yannes

That's also not true. That's just a stereotype. At the period AIDS was really spreading, a lot of people -straight and gay- did not use protection. There wasn't really much protection offered.

Sorry if I still jump on that, but I expressed myself in a wrong way.

I agree that both straight and gay people didn't use protection, but straight people use more protection than gay people, if you look at the balance between gay/straight people with aids, and gay/straight people in the world.

this does off course say nothing about AIDS, or who spread it

regardless, who's getting HIV (AIDS is the symptom, not the virus after all ) has little to do with sexual identity.

Being gay/bi/trans/etc. won't increase your chance of getting HIV. You're sexual practices on the other hand will but that's an entirely different topic than sexual identity and so this is becoming off topic.

It has often been confided in me by homosexual colleagues that in the beginning, they felt that they needed to do something "more" with someone of the same sex than they would with the opposite, and ended up being more sexually active and acting more spontaneously than they would have with the opposite sex.

Welcome back Kleptin.

Mopiece wrote:

@Kleptin

Of course. Gays didn't start it. It was immigrants that brought it into the US. And then it was spread amongst drug users and the gay population. Then it was eventually spread to straight population.

Then we don't really disagree. However, I don't think drug users contributed much to the spread of AIDs compared to the gay population.

Wait, Mopiece. You say it was brought by immigrants, spread amongst drug users and gays then it goes to the straight population. The drug users and immigrants were straight, not gay

@fish: that merely means you fit the stereotype of a girl talking and/or the mannerisms of one (ie avvie/siggie set).

I for one find it amusing every time someone gets my gender wrong based on how I speak, my username, and/or my 'masculine' avvie/siggie set.

In fact, most people get it wrong the first time.

KTC - Yours have always been gender neutral (except for the "Te'ijal's fanboy" XD) as far as I can remember. But it seems that when someone uses a gender neutral username/avatar online, people tend to assume it's a guy. O__o

KTC wrote:

@fish: that merely means you fit the stereotype of a girl talking and/or the mannerisms of one (ie avvie/siggie set).

I for one find it amusing every time someone gets my gender wrong based on how I speak, my username, and/or my 'masculine' avvie/siggie set.

In fact, most people get it wrong the first time.

The only times I even acknowledged the fact that KTC is a girl were when I was just flirting outrageously with her. Other than that, she thinks too much like me for me to believe she's not a guy as well.

haha... Hey... D_A's art is waaaaaaaaay better than mine... So I use hers :D

I get that on other forums sometimes too though. :P On one site everyone things I am an American born Chinese girl whos around 30 >_> not sure why...

People usually assume male online because most users on non-mainstream (ie: not facebook/youtube/etc) are male.

good example: one forum site I go on is for a sandbox style modification for a first person shooter. Unfortunately the average user there is around 12, male, horrid at english despite being from the US or UK, atheist, likes trolling but sucks at it, and has a child's toilet sense of humor. This as a result of several surveys there.

The reason that there is such an inbalance is that in most cultures girls are taught to be all "eeew" about games with guns in them. :( It's too bad really...

I don't assume a mainly male userbase here though... I'd say around 50 - 60% people here are girls depending on what thread you are in.

I've been thought to be a guy before online, though at the time I used a much more gender neutral username than my current one.

I've tended to stop guessing at gender identities of those I meet online, because I'm usually wrong. For example, when I first joined Amaranthia I thought both KTC and Mopiece were guys (sorry!). On other forums, I've thought some guys were girls.

I think it may be dependent on passive voice vs active voice in a persons posts. A passive voice seems more 'feminine' and an active voice 'masculine'. So those who write in a passive voice are thought of as female, and active voice is male. Just a theory.

What do you mean by "active/passive voice" Ashen? The only thing that comes to my mind are active and passive grammatical forms, but I believe they aren't related to the speaking person's gender but rather to how formal the style/situation of the communication is...? But I'm not so sure about it because English isn't my first language.

theone wrote:

Males make use of the passive voice just as much as females do. Take the previous sentence for example. It's passive and I'ma guy

I still don't understand... how is "make use of" a passive form?? :S that would have to be "is used".