Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
iPink

Story Inconsistency

Okay, so this is kind of minor, but it just started bugging me as soon as I realized it. In TLO, Te'ijal's letter says that they took Mel's ship to Sedona, but in this game you can't get to the Arishta Isles except by Dragon because of all of the mountains surrounding them. In another build, this should probably be fixed, because right now it makes no sense and it's really annoying me. XD

lol. I know there are more inconsistencies than that, but they are less glaring. We are explicitly told that you can't get to the Arishta Isles except by dragon in this game, but in the last game we are told that Te'ijal and Galahad got to Sedona by boat. Those cannot be explained away, like most of the other inconsistencies; they are two utterly conflicting statements. >.

Te'ijal never said they took a ship directly to Sedona.

Te'ijal could have just took the ship to a place to get a dragon or other means to the Isles.

Isn't another inconsistency that at the end of the third game it sounded like they were going directly to the arishta isles, and then in the fourth game it takes her a year to agree to go? Hm. Hopefully they go over it all a final time to make it all flow.

At the end of the of the third game, Edward said he was going to go to get help to gain the throne back. Mel never said she was going to go with him. She could have decided she wanted to stay behind and relax.

At the end of TLO, Edward said Mel needed to go to the Arishta Isles and learn to control her magic. Mel never agreed to go - in fact she flatly refused. Which is why she's been hiding from him in Harakauna for a year.

Te'ijal said "Galahad and I have borrowed the pirate ship", and "I have left with Galahad to his homeland" - this does not mean they are IN Sedona when she writes this letter, or that they took the ship to Sedona. It just means they took the ship, and as of writing the letter, they are on their way to Sedona. They may well have discovered they couldn't get through the mountain chain and had to find an alternative method of transport. Te'ijal providing a mailing address also does not mean they were IN Sedona when she wrote the letter - this could have been Galahad's old address (which, as long as he retained the deed, still belongs to him), or they could have arranged where they'd live while still in Thais or on the way. And the fact that Te'ijal doesn't SAY, in the letters she sent to Mel, that she had to ditch the pirate ship and use a dragon, doesn't mean it didn't happen. She had other things on her mind that she wanted to talk to Mel about ;)

Okay, I suppose when you think about it it works... But what Twain said is good: It would be awesome if, in the next build of both TLO and TDP you smoothed it out and made it flow. I felt a HUGE disconnect at the start of the game. Just changing some text and doing a couple things could make the whole of AV3 a far better game just by making it all flow and seem right. I just think it would far improve the experience. :D

Yeah, I'm not trying to attack Amaranth Games, or anything. Especially since the games were chopped up into smaller pieces and written separately, that tends to cause little inconsistencies. Fortunately it's easily changeable in this downloadable medium. (Well, maybe not that easy, but easier when compared to others.)

Not all story lines make sense. Sometimes it's the distance between games, other times it's other things.

Examples: Would you not have liked to see Mel and Lydia confront each other once Mel got her magic power sorted out?

Would a deus ex machina be easier to explain than a long, drawn-out and dull chase of Lydia?

If you'd prefer Edward to marry Lydia (why??), why all the hassle with the chase around the islands in the first place?

This implies no affront to the creative team, who do their best to get these games out to us as quickly as possible, and react to the various glitches we report in the game once released. That applies to all the creative teams, online and off. And we thank them for their efforts.

No, the story lines do make sense. Sometimes I think people are just thinking way too into it.

I never really cared for Lydia, so no. I wouldn't like to see Mel and Lydia to confront each other. And Mel doesn't seem the person to particularly care what happens, as long as Lydia gets punished.

When did the game ever focus on chasing Lydia?

Edward is still friends with Mel. If your friend was in danger, wouldn't you try to help? Also Edward wanted to get his throne back. He needed help from the other monarchies in the Isles, to get his throne back.

"Mel never agreed to go - in fact she flatly refused. Which is why she's been hiding from him in Harakauna for a year."

Uh, no she didn't.

I have the text of their conversation right in front of me.

She said yes. Or rather, she said "I'll go. anywhere far away from lydia is a good place to be". and when edward leaves the library she asks him to wait up.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6844/48447859.gif

She said she'd go with him. Did she say she'd go right that minute?

Once again, you guys are thinking this way into this.

She agreed to go with him to the Isles. She never said, she go that very moment to the Isles.

She just found out she could use magic, which she doesn't like. She is denial about it. She has a lot of things to deal with at that moment. Do you really think she'd go right away to anywhere?

No. She'd more than likely want to hide out.

You're right blurble - thanks for looking that up.

So, looking at the text myself, Mel never agreed to go to Veldarah and train in magic. She agreed to go with Edward because she wanted to be far away from Lydia.

Maybe they went off to Harakauna first to say goodbye to Ulf and Yvette, and maybe she decided that might be far enough away - Lydia had never been there and would not know she was there. Edward also spent some time back in Thais after TLO, trying to get his throne back via the courts. Maybe Mel went with him briefly then decided to come back to Harakauna and hide out.

The thing is, there are a lot of reasons why Mel and Edward didn't necessarily go to Veldarah immediately after TLO. We don't always put in the little details or provide reasons for every action - it's up to your imagination to fill in the blanks. :)

I still think it might be better to edit the text a little bit to make it more vague and/or more clear for the next build of TLO, and maybe put in slightly more of an explanation in the next build of TDP. XD I suppose it doesn't exactly need any edits, but it could use them.

I doubt we'll be doing a new build of TLO. What you're describing is not a bug, in either game, and we don't have any TLO bugs worthy of a new build (I struggle to think of any, actually).