Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
shaz

You'd think, living atop a mountain range, you'd be safe from flooding ...

This is what happened in the town I live in yesterday.

Toowoomba floods 2011

This is the result of steady rain for several weeks saturating the ground, and what they've called a 'super storm' drenching the city with rain over a 2-hour period. With nowhere for the waters to go, it turned into an 'inland instant tsunami'.

The floodwaters are now making their way towards Brisbane, our capital city, and are causing massive destruction on the way. Wivenhoe Dam, the catchment area for the Brisbane valley, is now at 200% capacity and the water is being released, also heading towards Brisbane. Today and tomorrow, both will reach the Brisbane River, to meet the incoming tide (a king tide tomorrow). Already the river is lapping at the banks and buildings in the inner city are being evacuated.

It's still raining in Toowoomba, with the same amount of rain as yesterday expected for the next 4 hours or so.

That's really terrifying, but spectacular and exciting at the same time. It feels weird seeing all this in the comfort and safety of my own home. o.o

Definitely be safe, Shaz. I hope nobody gets hurt. =(

Unfortunately, there have been casualties, and will be more.

The death toll is at 9 so far, including 5 children, the latest of these in Ipswich just west of Brisbane, where the floodwaters have just reached. 66 people still missing from the Lockyer Valley area at the bottom of the Toowoomba range.

The videos at that link are just the flash flooding in Toowoomba, which claimed 4 lives. The greater devastation is from the water sweeping through to Brisbane, destroying houses in its way.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8194686/terrifying-night-for-qld-flood-victims

That sounds like a very peculiar and sudden weather change. To have so much rain that it causes such a massive flood..it gives me the shivers. I saw the picture in the second link you provided : the one where you can see the floodwaters gushing in, from someone's lawn. Be safe shaz. I hope no more people get hurt or lose their lives.

Speaking of shivers, the climate's been unusual in Calcutta too. We rarely have severe winters and the maximum temperature drop reaches 20 degrees. Yesterday the temperature was 10 degrees and today it's 9 degrees. Day before yesterday, it was 14 degrees. I'm fweezy-fweezing >-<

I think, with the global warming and all, anything can happen. 30 years ago there's only so much snow one can get in most of continental Europe. 10 years ago, Malaysia was completely safe from natural disasters. Things change, they happen. I will pray for your safety, shaz.

We'll pray for you, though I must admit like Calcutta,we are freezing. And to think our temperature is usually around 25 C and now it's 7 C. Still, love the cold. And the fact that we have been deprived of rain. Well, hope your town does not suffer anymore and God blesses it

Weather is so weird this year. The southern U.S. is freezing over for the second year in a row, all over the world things have been very severe, yet this is the most mild winter that our town has had since my family moved here. o.o I am so sorry to hear about those missing and dead, especially the children. For a small child to lose their life is the greatest tragedy, in my opinion. :(

And to think I was so happy yesterday over a stupid Britney Spears song while something like this is happening. D=

i'm sorry for the disaster, shaz.. we'll be praying for you and your place..be safe :)

hmm, i couldn't agree more about global warming and the peculiar weather around these times.. *sigh. i pray we'll not be expecting disasters since my country is very prone to those.. (as in volcanoes erupting, flash floods, typhoons.. etc.) :(

Like the rest, I hope that you'll be okay and that no harm comes to you or your family. All this flooding is terrible. Like aisling said, it's probably global warming.

Here, it a nice negative 17 C most days.

Good luck shaz!

My, it must be terrible, but i believe that it has to do with global warming, i agree. Here, it is always raining everyday, especially at morning. So you may imagine the sleepy faces we make at the school periods.

Hope it's get better soon!

@Shaz, I hope you and your family stay safe and dry.

I've seen quite a few videos and pictures from the flooded areas. It's amazing what water is capable of doing.

Though the strangest story that I've seen from the flooding is one were bull sharks were seen swimming in the flooded streets of some town. I've heard of bull sharks living in some of the rivers in that area but it's bizarre to think of them swimming down a street.

I hadn't seen that one. Might be one of the towns up north, or Brisbane - I think in the towns further up along the coast, they sometimes get sharks coming into the rivers.

The Brisbane flood is the only natural disaster that did something to me. In most cases I just think "oh well,that's bad, but it's not here", I donate some money for charity and I keep living my naive, happy life. Brisbane literally made me silent for 6 hours, I did nothing but thinking and worrying.

I hope that everyone is safe now and that everyone who is missing will turn up, that everyone can return to his home soon and that the ones who need help will get what they need.

on a somewhat lighter note:

I remember when it was on the news, the first topic was the floods in Belgium (nothing too bad, nobody died or is missing, only material damage), and my brother said "woooow, have you ever seen anything like this before?" and I replied "In 2 minutes you will have" (because we were watching the early morning news, which is the same as the late evening news, because not much happens, and I have seen both).

And now my brother thinks I can predict the future

I live in the bush near, so the trees are soaking up all the water, that's what flooded town's should have.

Lots & lots of trees...

You know, there are mines collapsing, tornado's, cyclones, flood's & volcanos!

I might be the Apocalypse or mother earth is getting her sweet revenge... ;)

playpink wrote:

I might be the Apocalypse or mother earth is getting her sweet revenge...

Well, I really start to think that a lot of small and big disasters happened last year, both noticed and unnoticed internationally.

I wonder why

Is it global warming?

Did we underestimate nature?

or is it just the news, that has nothing else to say?

EDIT: sorry, this is a bit off topic...