Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

Kreative Writing (Newsletter)

I wrote my title creatively! No wait, that isn't what this is about. This week's discussion topic is How do you write!? No no, not with a pencil or pen. Not that kind of how. Stop jumping to conclusions! I want to know the process which YOU use to write. My process... if you could call it that... goes a little something like this.

Step 1: Idea! (Today's story will be about a monkey who wants to eat marshmallows until he explodes.)

Step 2: Mental conflict road map. In my head I figure out all the conflict points. If the story is too long I actually write them down, but usually I don't. I write them in order.

Monkey eats a marshmallow, monkey wants more. Monkey can't buy marshmallows. Monkey tries to steal marshmallows. Monkey comes up with brilliant strategy to get humans to give him marshmallows.

Step 3: Character roadmap. I create a personality profile of every major character in the story. This tends to be 1-2 paragraphs, but can be both shorter and longer.

Monkey: A primate obsessed with marshmallows.

Store manager: An overzealous small tyrant who rules his grocery store with an iron fist.

Step 4: Write! I sit down and the story simply flows onto the paper. Most of the time I feel like it writes its self, honestly. I write the entire thing with stopping as little as possible and let the characters "create" the story.

Step 5: Edit :( - My least favorite step is to go through the story and fix all the grammar mistakes and any unresolved plot issues or conflicting plot issues.

Believe it or not I think we write in very diverse ways! For instance I know a famous author who edits every page as it is written. He writes one page and edits it until its perfect and then moves on to page 2, ect.

So share your writing technique. Maybe I can learn something. Maybe we can even get our own game story writer Ms. Amanda to pop in and and tell us how she writes an Aveyond plot!

Words from The Fool:

Monkey was happy. He had his tree. He had his banana. He even had a hat! Until one day he found a white, fluffy, marshmallow. "What's this?" Monkey cried. First, he stuck it in his ear. Then he tried to use it as a pillow. Then... he put it in his mouth. "DELICIOUS!" cried Monkey, "But now it's gone! I want more.... MORE MARSHMALLOWS!" "No fooling," yelled The Fool.

My way of writing is pretty simple.

I make things up as I go along.

Yeah... Then, when I figure out "Oh! I want Person A to learn that-" etc, etc, plot twists/things to happen, I make note of them. Also, I sometimes do those quizes where you test how well you know your characters (or, I did this once for the first 7-10 of 100 XD) to develop them better.

i let my characters speak to me. because they do. they tell me what happens, and i write it.

otherwise, i wait for an idea to spark. then, the characters start to form. as the characters form, they begin talking to me--then telling me what happens. i dislike it when people and calculus interrupt my writing.

i also usually draw my characters--even if it's a pencil drawing or a scribble. usually i color them if i can. but that helps me get familiar with them. as i draw/consider them/etc, they explain their pasts, hobbies, likes and dislikes, favorite foods, etc.--yes, i know my major characters well enough that i can tell you their biases, notable habits, most-used quotes, favorite and least favorite foods, and favorite animals XD XD XD

I usually think of a setting where I want a story to take place, then I come up with the reason why the story would take place there. Once these basics are out of the way, I like to think about where the story should end, and then how it should begin. Then I put a few major events in the story timeline that either help or hinder the protagonist from making it to the end. After this is done, I brainstorm a character who would fit the role of the protagonist. It changes a bit per story, but that's how I do it. :)

The majority of my writing is academic stuff, I'm usually too brain dead after that to try to write creative stories. But I usually start with an outline with the main point or conclusion of the paper, followed with the main points that I used to reach that conclusion. Then fill in the rest with the details of how those points support that conclusion. Once I do that the papers usually write themselves.

Usually, I'm struck by an Idea. Then I figure out how I want the story to end and how I want it to start. Then I create my protagonist, sometimes drawing up a character worksheet, and the type of world they live in. Next comes the major conflict and plot points and the climax. All that's left is to get my character from the start to the finish, mapping out the story along the way, making sure I hit the plot points.

Of course, sometimes my characters don't like what I had planned for them to do and refuse to do it.

First, I plan my stories. Main idea, purpose, audience and all that. Then I plan my characters and what will happen. After that, I write the first part and see if I've accomplished everything that I was supposed to in this part. After that I go on.

Mostly, I have an idea form for something else when I'm in the middle of writing a story with characters I don't like as much. :loving: (Actually, I have a character called Riga Mortis who doesn't fit with anything I do.)

Almost all of my writing is for school, and I hate it. It's not free and I have to follow the writing process. >: O

Hmm... lessee... since my attempts at original fics are epic failz, I'll say this about my fanfics:

The best thing about it is if you're not writing OOC (Out of Character) fics, characterisation is pretty simple since the original author has already done that XD So I generally get ideas when daydreaming/obssessing about the book/game/movie, then most of the time create alternate scenarios, basically covering the "what if" area. However, sometimes I also write fics to "fill in the blanks" of certain plots (e.g. when the character blacks out, what else is happening etc). Only VERY occasionally do I have character-centric fics, and those always don't come out the way I want them to, because I have a huge problem with characterisation XD

Once I have a rough idea of the major plot details, I start writing. It can be in any order; in fact sometimes I start writing the ending before going back to the beginning, and jump here and there depending on what scenes I REALLY want in the fic, because I have the memory of a fish and if I don't type them out they'll vanish like, in the next quarter hour. No brainstorming, just going with the flow. Of course, this tends to alter the plot sometimes due to plotholes (ah, how inevitable). Unless I have a title firmly in mind, I usually wait till the completion of the fic before naming it (believe me, sometimes it was so radically diff from what I originally had in mind that the old title won't even be usable anymore). Then I post on FanFiction.Net and pray for reviews! XD

here's my writing process:

Step 1: Idea! (Today's story will be about how Mel first meets Will.)

Step 2: Write! I sit down and the story simply flows onto the paper. Most of the time I feel like it writes its self, honestly. I write the entire thing with stopping as little as possible and let the characters "create" the story.

Step 3: Edit - My least favorite step is to go through the story and fix all the grammar mistakes and any unresolved plot issues or conflicting plot issues.

I quoted you because this is exactly how i write. except i skip maybe a couple of steps :P

I absolutely love writing adventure stories!

I normally first always come up with a name, and then I create a plot based on the name. And all the story revolves around that plot. As an example, if the story's name is called Demon Slayers, it's about slaying demons and with a main storyline.

Next, I always add the characters that I want, and within the first chapter/episode/part of the story, I tend to introduce most of the main characters. Then, I make another side note and add all the detailed information there, for example, a paragraph on the type of character they are, the element of magic they have, or the type of weapon they wield, etc.

Then I get writing! >:D I normally can't stop writing, I always have countless ideas to work on. Sometimes, when I get free time, I make summaries for each chapter or episode, so that my ideas remain and don't stray away from me (sometimes I'll get a really good idea and forget it!)

Editing is normally last, I like to read over the story and when I catch mistakes, I fix it, or when something doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the story, I change it.

I base a lot of the stories I write on the countless inspiring dreams that I have! :D

I love writing storylines and stories!

Well, first I get the idea of course. (in the oddest places. Won't mention here. :P ) Then, I sort of wait for a while and let the story form in my head. then I try and think up the beginning and the end. Then I imagine scenes where I'm my character. Then finally, write it all down basically, then add little new stuff here and there which won't interfere with the original plot and that's how the ball rolls! :D

For me, the name is what changes a lot....I don't think of the name first...then finally, I think up a name. But it changes if I add a little something to my story....and Im happy with the name, then I change it again...and FINAlly after 5 times or so I'm happy with the name.

I go with the flow and always pen down the first things that come into mind! Which is one of the reasons my essays and writing works always need to be edited, rearranged and put it order xD I'm quite impatient when it comes to writing stuff so I just put in random ideas in not-so-random places. And I do it anywhere, anytime, like I am now xD

Also, once I start writing, the block eases down a bit and then ideas can flow. But then it becomes confusing because I'm overloaded with ideas and I wanna put them all in, and so I ramble, haha! So yeah, my head is a mess xD

Well, i'm not actually write, too lazy to type, lol..

but i do thinking(yep, i kept them in mind) of some fanfics and sometimes able to create out some new-stand stories. When i go with fanfics, first i need to watch/read some scenes, then adding anything i liked(mostly i add my own character) into the conversation/situation. After the 'edited' scene has done in main plot, then i'd just tell how could he/she ended up being there, and what'd happen next.

Naming: i'm not quite good at it, so i'd just steal some name that i ever heard and i think cool and suit the character-self.

Val, your mind is a scary place! Probably full of dragons, poncy elves, and the occasional jabberwalke.

Shadow - you should take the time to actually write! It's like taking your brain for a walk. Just don't steal other people's titles :D That's plagiarism!

I agree completely!! xD And you know what happens when I try to put all of them together in one relevant topic xD I do draft out my ideas sometimes though, but that's only when I'm in a philosophical sorta mood, which is very rare, hoho!

:dragon:

I usually start to brainstorm for a few seconds, and then i have tons of characters and places, and then I just start writing until all my characters have met and visited all the places, and killed Mister Mean of course. For some reason there is always random stuff involved, your heroes walking in a forest and they meet a detective investigating a murder case or seomthing...