Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

A Look Into 2011! (Newsletter)

The planning meeting wasn't going as planned. For hours we sat in the stagnant office, for, thanks to the cold weather the windowless room had no air conditioning and therefore, no ventilation. The scene of my drooping eyelids matched my the drooping bells dangling from my jester hat, while Shaz had long since taken to making an army of origami swans out of the discarded notes and ideas that had piled up. Not to be outdone, Karen, resident artist, had begun crafting an air force of paper airplanes. She had begun an attack on the dormant air vent. She'd managed to get three stuck in it already and they hung above our heads like specters. The cranes looked on in envy. Our leader, Ms. Amanda, had been reduced to lazily making circles with the laser pen which she had, just a few short hours ago, wielded with reckless abandon before we hit the Marianas Trench in which we were now engulfed.

"Look, we've been over this a million times." I said. "I can't have olives on my pizza."

"If we don't get olives, we're not getting mushrooms," grumbled Shaz as Karen made a face that clearly showed displeasure at the idea of both olives and mushrooms.

"Let's just go out for lunch," muttered Bryce, who had relegated himself to an obscurely shadowed corner.

This prompted Amanda launch into yet another team related tirade. "No! This is a team building experience! If we can't order a single pizza together, how can we possibly make the best games of 2011! We're going to do this until we decide or die of starvation!"

And so we leave our heroes, trapped in the dilemma of lunch with a sea of notes scrawled on the whiteboard that end abruptly at that single, tumultuous word: Pizza.

-End-

Ok so none of that is true. We don't have a windowless office. Shaz probably doesn't make armies of swans and, last I checked, Amanda has never once wielded a laser pen with any kind of abandon; reckless or otherwise. The only part that is true is that picking lunch is always so difficult! Why? Such mysteries are not to be answered by mankind.

On to the real story of what we've got in 2011! First, the point of my above idiocy is we are hoping to expand the Amaranth team this year! Break out the trumpets but keep your résumés at bay, we've already got a few people in mind. It's always exciting to bring a new face on board... mostly because I will stop being the new guy.

Next, a few of you have expressed concern that The Darkthrop Prophecy would be the last Aveyond game. Not true! The next Aveyond game is in planning stages. Barring anything unusual, there should be a new Aveyond game with a new story this year. More information as things become solidified.

Also we are working on another game similar to Gypsy's Tale, which may be out in the middle of the year if things go well. You'll hear a lot about it soon.

And lastly, I hope to see some web based improvements to the site. Many of these will be invisible to you , but while we LOVE the idea of our servers going down because we have too much traffic (Happened at the launch of Darkthrop) - we'd prefer they didn't go down at all!

So that is our plan AT THE MOMENT - but before we set this baby in stone we'd love to hear from all our fans: What is it you think would make Amaranth Games even better than it is today? Post your ideas: Sky is the limit, but try to be at least mildly realistic!

Words from The Fool:

Can I get a large pizza. On one half I want Onions, Green peppers, and olives. On half of that half I also want Sausage. Adjacent to that half but on the other side I need Pepperoni and keep the sausage coming from the other side with Mushrooms, but leave the pepperoni off on the final quarter. No, I'm not fooling, just make my pizza!

If D_A had been a member of that office Shaz's army of swans would be swimming amidst dozens of waterlilies/lotus/whatever you call those flowers.

This is not exactly a site improvement suggestion. It's more like a "problem report". The "instant preview" is not working and we keep on getting "server not responding" message every time we click the button.

haha--if tei had been a member of that meeting, there would be lots and LOTS of cranes--shaz and i would be sharing.

(actually, i saw the name "karen" and something about lunch and went, "wait, cheesecake factory stories again? O.o" forgot there was a staff member named karen ^^;; forgetful tei is forgetful XD)

awww--are you sure you're not taking resumes? because i was just accepted at the number four game design college in the counry.... (yes, i finally decided on a major...majoring in game design XD)

what would make amaranth games better? ......another lunch at the cheesecake factory with more bursting into song by tei and aaron while the rest of the restaurant stares on in confusion? XD XD XD

okay, all jokes aside......i'll let you know when (if) i think of something ^_^

Congrats on picking a major Tei! Now get a real job, nobody makes games for a living! (That's what my mom told me anyway... oh sweet revenge).

D_A - Thanks for the bug report. We actually found that one a few days ago (DOH) and are working on a fix. Several small items on the site are currently undergoing... repairs... (Read that as: being hit with a hammer).

OH and don't forget about Karen! Without her our games would be ugly stick figure programmer art where everyone is always smiling and dead people have Xs over their eyes.

X_X

*sticks out tongue* i'll get a real job when i'm not drowning in calculus! XD

well, my mom keeps telling me to work for a bank and make a game "in my spare time" about saving money and sell it to them...she doesn't seem to get that telling me to "make a game for advertising purposes" would be like me telling her to "make a dollhouse for advertising purposes." waaaaay more effort than it would likely be worth.

it's not that i forgot she EXISTED, it's i forgot she shared my name! XD i feel the need to clarify this! XD

good luck hitting things with hammers, btw. hope that goes well ^_^

Let's see, how about Personal Pan Pizza's, or

having a large Pizza split with Olives on just 2 slices and the same for other ingredients not wanted by others? Families do this all the time.

Creativity is the same.....where there's a will

there's a way. And I'd say in your cases, so far so good! Wouldn't you? :lol:

Just order my favourite, Hawaiian pizza - problem solved, everyone happy. ;)

I wouldn't mind being cold at present, joking apart. We are having our first very hot day and it's sweltering.

Tei, I am fascinated by your studies. Does this mean you are a programmer or are studying programming? Do you want to join a well-known company such as Nintendo or Amaranth Games or start your own business?

Amaranth site is looking good. I found it quite confusing to navigate when new, but I am used to it now. I find that although there is lot on the front page, it doesn't take too long to load on dial-up. But I am glad for the explanations in brackets under each meaningless section title that tell visitors what each section is about.

Well, not to get too far off track of this discussion, but I will throw some advice your (and anyone else who dreams of making games for a living) way.

First, your mom is... sorta right. Suck it up, you won't get anywhere fighting good advice even if its from a painful source like mom.

The reason she is right is you never want to start trying to make your best idea as your first game. In fact, you want to make what is basically a "practice game" - whether you do that in your spare time or while living on Ramen is up to you. Even Amanda did it with Amaranth Games; she didn't start by making commercial games. Our first game is freeware as you recall.

This is done because making a game is hard in ways that are very unexpected. They take time to develop your own sense of style and they take experience to be able to estimate both time and cost to development. Creating a freeware or small game you do NOT expect to profit from with a SHORT development cycle (Try to make it a 3-4 month project) will help you immensely when you try to tackle an actual commercial level game.

So you are part right as well. It is silly for your mom to make a practice doll house because she already knows how to do it. Imagine your mom trying to make her very first doll house and sell it for as much and as easily as she can now. In the end, every game you make IS a practice game of sorts. We're always learning from our successes and failures and aiming to make the next game a little bit better and a little more profitable. The hope is that you can live off all these learning experiences until you have the audience, skills, and mastery to really start cranking out hit games!

Ok back to suggestions on what people would like to see in 2011! :D

I'd really like to see the Battle Arena opened. Although I am newly guilded, it's already bugging me how it is empty and bolded with the fact that I haven't read any posts in it (because there aren't any O_O). So yeah. And I agree with d_a. More stuff to do with gold would be nice. :)

I second iPink. What's the point of a thread with no posts??

Still, while I was reading the newsletter, I was like, Shaz travels to America every year. Wow, she must have a large salary. Then I realised it was a lie. :(

i was wondering if you could add games that gave 2 gold per score send? you could only send scores 5 times a day in gold mode but not practice mode. it would be nice to see more amarantian fun here.

or a system that lets you create items in the workshop to be sold in the shop. how bout a special day that lets you get bounus gold (5 gold per post)! it would bee pretty easy yet still take a long time.

Actually, it would be cool to get gold from Amaranth Games games. It might be more trouble than it's worth, but it would be cool if someone got 50 gold or so from finishing an Aveyond game, or 25 or so for finishing Gypsy's Tale. Probably not gonna happen, but it would really make the community a little more connected with the games. Or, even better, there could be a "badge" system! =D

or a system that lets you create items in the workshop to be sold in the shop. how bout a special day that lets you get bounus gold (5 gold per post)! it would bee pretty easy yet still take a long time.

-.- i dont think that would be a good idea because singing, some dont sing well.

but gold ideas that take long to do yet still get more is alright but not confusing people with sing!

anything is possible here. lets hope zack from suite life isnt following me because he wants to give me a wegie (just of him here imganation)!