Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blurble

A sudden realization regarding gender role in romances

KTC wrote:

@fish:

...what? Your post is like a conspiracy theory mixed with plenty of scapegoating/blaming. It seems you don't understand what a feminist is and/or are looking for something simple to blame your problems on.

A feminist is someone (could be a man or woman mind you) who advocates social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men. She/he is simply trying to close the gap between men and women. True there are some hardcore men-hating feminists, but that is the stereotype.

If you support women getting rights and becoming more equal to men when it comes to social, legal, job, political, etc. realms, than you are a feminist.

How the heck does that lead into stopping mix race marriages?

And I don't even understand your next paragraph.

When you say "feminist" I think of you-go-girl, anti-marriage, anti-family, 'all men are evil' types. I used to live at a horse stable, and horses are a magnet for go-girls. The feminists I think of are the female equivalent of the supremacist men you are talking about.

I am usually for moderation and equivalence, in other areas aside from gender issues as well.

Sorry if my accent is hard for you... :P The second paragraph was in response to the comment about china being male oriented.

It doesn't really have much bearing on me anymore... I've left them behind, but I want people to know that traditional ideals of discrimination can and do get applied the other way, its just as bad. I would argue its even worse, because nobody cares if you are discriminated against for being male, white, christian, whatever else is usually pointed at when you think of discrimination.

@fish:

that type is unfortunately the men hating ones who give feminists a bad reputation. However they aren't the majority. Again, if one supports women rights, he/she is a feminist.

KTC wrote:

@fish:

that type is unfortunately the men hating ones who give feminists a bad reputation. However they aren't the majority. Again, if one supports women rights, he/she is a feminist.

feminist/male supremacist (forgot the word) have become the same, we need a new word for people who don't support "womens"(/"mens" ) rights, but instead support people's rights period.

Similar to the US FMLA (family medical leave act), the one that deals with paid work time for pregnancies. That would be a very one sided sexist piece of legislature if written that way, thus actually illegal. Therefore it actually says that if you or your spouse is pregnant you are entitled to paid off time during the pregnancy. Few people know that... Its one of the only parts of Title vii laws that actually was well written, most of the time title vii laws violate themselves... :P

I like that kind of thing too.

SLAYERS has a very strong female lead; Lina Inverse, the pants-wearing sorceress ever. Even the people who travel with her are afraid of her. Her maybe-someday-boyfriend-but-probably-never bodyguard Gourry is basically her Yesman who does whatever she tells him to do, or else.

Then there's Master of Mosquiton 99; Inaho is physically the weakest because all her companions are monsters, but she is the Boss & her sorta-boyfriend Mosquiton is practically her servant.

The trick is to pair up a hyper selfish smart loud woman with a strong chivalrous idiot. & quite frankly, there needs to be more mean-spirited selfish heroines in anime & manga, the kind that can only fake being demure, wear pants, & have a short fuse.

Edited to remove profanity.

~Mopiece

Oh yes, I absolutely adore, adore, ADORE dominant female leads. Those kinds that walk around with a grin on their faces, knowing how to use things to her advantage. Someone whose willpower and mental ability can match up to the love interest she is given.

And no, that doesn't include loud-mouthed shoujo heroines nowadays who have rampant anger issues.