Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
kipani

Nature vs Nurture?

Just wondering, do you believe in Nature over Nurture?

I think I do, but I also think nurture has a big part in the turnout. Not as big as nature, but still big. Ever seen Dexter? haha

Personality in general. Like.. Do you think Jeffery Daumer would have turned out the way he did under another parent, etc? Do you think you'd be more outgoing if you were taught what it could lead to?

I have had classes about it in college, and I find it very intresting.

nature vs nurture talks abiout the development of a person (mostlty character, opinions, tc...)

nature talks about your DNA: people can be aggressive, quiet, friendly, ... because theat information is stored in the DNA

nurture: someone who is aggresive by nature can learn to be more friendly if someone else (or the context) teacjhes him so.

Basically, it just means that you can't define someones personality solely on genetic factors, nor on the context he lives in. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think you can say that the one is more important than the other.

(was about to give an example, but can't describe it properly, and can't find any English documents about it to find the right words)

I'm leaning toward everything has a biological root somewhere that can either be cultivated or destroyed during the process of growing up.

For example, new science literature are always coming out and showing that many of the things that people think are 'made of the soul' have a biological component to them.

The mama who's very protective of her kids? a protein. cut the protein, and mama could care less bout her kids.

Just recently, it was shown that the bugs in your stomach can change you genetically and even your behavior. clicky

This is an interesting topic. According to Science,the nurture effect is negligible when adulthood is achieved. As we all know, our life is based on a series of Chemical reactions. These reactions are fundamentally the same in all humans but in some key cases, these reactions differ due to differences in DNA or some other reason. Thus, this causes the changes in appearances that intrigue many. But just like DNA, these chemical reactions are remarkably similar in people who are of close kin to each other. Thus, is it surprising that people from the same parents are remarkably similar even when seperated at birth.

If nurture is completely negligible at adulthood, taht would mean that an adult doesn't learn new behaviour in certain new situations, that most therapies wouldn't work on adults...

It is true that nurture is more effective on children, but it's not completely negligible on adults

Yes I have seen Dexter. Check my cottage. ;)

I think Nature & Nurture both effect how a person turns out. But I think it is something else which ultimately dictates whether a person is good or bad: free will.

Just as an example, someone can be predisposed to something such as abuse because of their childhood, but how they choose to treat their children is, or at least should be, a result of their own thoughts and free will.

Boy, this is an age old debate. I would say it's a combination of the two and it's very difficult to separate the two.

For example, people commonly say DNA is the "nature" effect but if you've ever taken a genetics class, you learn pretty quickly that what is in the DNA isn't always a given. Whether or not and how some genes (can't think of examples right now) are expressed can depend on the overall environment which is includes the "nurture"

I hope that makes sense since I don't have time to try to explain it any better.