Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mopiece

Alcohol on campus?

I was a bit curious about everyone's feelings on this.

The university I go to is thinking about allowing a restaurant that is on campus to serve alcohol. It wouldn't really be a bar, just a restaurant that normally sells alcohol at its other locations being able to do so on campus.

I personally am okay with it. I don't think it's going to be as big of a problem as some people at my university is making it out to be. People that oppose it seem to think everyone will drunk all the time, which seems a bit extreme to me.

So, do you think it's okay for alcohol to be on a college campus? Or do you not think it's okay?

I think that it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I mean, maybe the restaurant should/could have a cap of how much alcohol intake one can have there, but it shouldn't be too big a deal.

As long as the ppl drinking don't cause trouble it's fine.

Like, my campus has a really easy policy on drugs/drinking: long as you don't stink up the building and/or do something stupid while drunk/high they turn a blind eye on it.

We had student pubs (and restaurants) on our campus...what was great about them was that they were also completely run by students. Not only did it create jobs but it gave a few students a really amazing opportunity to learn how to run a business (answering ultimately to the university body). Plus they were fun chill places to relax! It may help that the drinking age is younger here than the US (19) so that the majority of students are old enough to use the establishments.

I don't see much of a problem with it, really. I mean, the students probably have access to alcohol one way or another anyway, and at least if it's on campus the students wouldn't be driving anywhere (hopefully).

As a side note, I like the idea of what Jayshe's campus did.

@Jayshe

That sounds like a great thing. But you're right, it probably worked better there than it would here because of the drinking age.

@Ashen_Eclipse

Well, not everyone lives on campus, so there is a small chance of people making the wrong decision when it comes to drinking and driving.

actually I can't see any reason why it should be available. But I don't drink so actually I just don't care.

I think saying everyone will be drunk is very exaggerated, if they want ti get drunk, they will get drunk anyway, and when it's not on campus then somewhere else. (unless of course that a campus in USA really is as big as shown in movies, a campus in Belgium is only the buildings where the classes take place).

I don't think they sell alcohol in my college, but I never really looked for it, so I'm not sure.

I guess it should be able to allow it, maybe they should forbid the ones that get drunk to buy more alcohol in the restaurant?

I guess it okay. As KTC said, as long as they don't cause trouble and stink up the place...also maybe if the alcohol didn't interfere too much with their studying.

The university I went to serves alcohol at one of its restaurant/cafeterias. As far as I know, there was never an issue with drunkenness. The main problem with students being drunk and causing problems was back at the dorms, where things weren't monitored as closely.

So, having a regulated, monitored place to serve alcohol could actually help prevent issues with intoxication.

I would love the idea of a wine with honey or vanilla or mixed with Cola, at the school. It would just ease my day greatly, it's not a bad idea, really. As much as people don't go over board with it.

It could present a problem, but it doesn't have to. If there was a designated driver program there, and there was a limit or the bar tender could say when you've had enough then it would be fine. If not, then it might be a problem.

Well, of course, the principal should take care of all those. Believe me, nothing invigorates you better in the middle of the day, if you're tired, than a cold beer or a glass of wine, or even something similar. Because even if alcohol is said to be bad, surely isn't worse than CocaCola or Fanta, which have more toxic substances in them than a toxic waste tank, not to mention I HAD TO drink such drinks for two weeks, without water. Believe me, the result was awful! In comparison, drinking beer and wine daily for two weeks - you're okay. Drinking CocaCola and Fanta for 2 weeks - you end up with few problems. I think the fizzy drinks should be put out, and the alcohol to remain.

wait, are you equating coke to alcohol, and even saying coke is worst than alcohol?

Coke is nothing more than fizz drink with sugar and caffeine. The worst it can do is make you hyper though if you drink enough, you'll get diabetes.

Alcohol messes with your liver, brain, causes addiction, and has a bunch of other side effects.

If you prefer beer over coke fine, but do so with the knowledge that alcohol is always worst than fizz drinks.

I said with a limit, KTC. Because I experimented this myself, and ended up without addiction, or any damage, but after the cokes, God, I had to go for a checkout. Alcohol is not worse than coke within some limits. Of course is much worse when it's drank in a bit higher amounts that is recommended.

Actually I drink coke nearly everyday. College saps you out and due to the fact our ventilator in the lab is a bit haywire the heat of bunsen blowers make us sweat. Not the best at bio, but alcohol causes liver cirrhosis in the long run even when taken in moderation. Also causes gastroc ulcers

Yes, abusing alcohol has more obvious effects than abusing soft drinks, but I agree with Kenneth to a point.

At least alcoholic drinks are natural. Soft drinks/colas are filled with unnatural chemicals/additives.

I think one Coke a day can be more harmful than one beer or one glass of wine a day.

Theone is right, this is getting off topic. If you want to talk about which is worse, create a new thread.

@Kenneth

There is no principal at college. There is a Dean, but no principal.

@Yuffie

Since nothing has been decided, I have no way of know if they'll be those programs. If I had to guess, I'd say probably not.

Jayshe already mentioned this but a lot Canadian universities have campus bars that are run by students organizations, though the drinking age is lower. Both universities that I've attended in Canada have them and as far as I know they don't cause any problems. Any issues would be the same as any other bar - rowdy drunks, underage drinking with fake IDs.

I find the idea of dry campuses silly and sometimes hypocritical. Drinking can still be a problem on those campuses. The US university that I did my undergrad at was 'dry' except for the alumni association building that served alcohol (only to alumni). I was also amused that a 'dry' campus had a building named the Anheuser-Busch Natural Resource Building (guess who donated money for it). Besides there were still the "campus bars" right at the edge of the university property.