Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mopiece

Alcohol on campus?

That's not actually complete true.

Alcohol in moderate amounts can actually be good for you. It's only when you abuse it is it bad for you.

true - but i bet people who drink alcohol are probably going to do so in large amounts - they enjoy its inhibition effect - just like a drug

(not all people but probably majority)

That's just a myth. While it's true a lot of people who drink, like to drink heavily, not all of them are going to do so. And in the setting it's going to be in, majority of people probably won't be drinking that many drinks. It's going to be at a restaurant, not a bar.

And remember, this is going to be at a school. The tuition isn't cheap, majority of people aren't going to put their enrollment at risk.

The universities that I've been at that allow alcohol on campus still have regulations about drinking and if you're too rowdy or drinking where you're not allowed you can get in trouble with the school. But for the most part, it doesn't cause problems.

yup, but i still don't think it's going to be a good idea anyway how is it going to benifit them ,it's even gonna be expensive, and if someone does go uncontrolabally drunk the consequenses can be bad

It is not. Most people here can control themselves with the drink. If there are one or two people which can't control themselves because are stupid and lack auto-control, their bad! It doesn't mean we all have to suffer because of their stupid fault!

@soniadoor: you're assuming all people who drink are or are going to become uncontrollable alcoholics.

That simply isn't true. As long as one does it in moderation (which is entirely possible), its fine.

The benefits depends on the person. For example, my mom's an extreme lightweight: if she drank even a teaspoon she goes straight into hangover [complete with headaches and vomiting] entirely bypassing the 'drunk/feel good' phase. Predictably, she doesn't drink if she can help it [some situations are just unavoidable] because she will go straight into hangover which is entirely unpleasant.

As for myself, I don't see the point in using it because:

-I don't need it to feel good

-I don't need it to unwind (a good cup of tea works wonders)

-I really don't want to mess with my body now it's sort of behaving normally

@KTC- That's the same thing I do. A nice cup of tea. Though, I generally agree with alcohol on campus, as KTC mentioned, alcohol intake depends on the person's genes. Some people get hangover in one glass of wine, others drink bottles. As long as rowdiness is controlled, I don't see why not

i guess it's because i was brought up with the concept that alchohol is bad and either way like you said i don't need it and i don't think people need it either (exept in medical use and other stuff.....)

p.s. my gut tells me it's a bad idea :D

I suppose one could argue that alcohol could reduce inhibitions which could have an effect on studies. But the thing is, due to the easy availability of wine in the US, its possible for a student to get alcohol

The university I went to also had its own bar on campus. As far as I know, there weren't many issues with people drinking on campus - you'd see the occasional drunk person stumbling around, but very little rowdiness. And actually, they ended up closing the bar in my fourth year because not enough people were going there o_O; I think they wanted to convert the space into a study hall or something, because supposedly that's what people wanted xD (I didn't vote because I didn't care as it was my final year there, lol)

So basically, I think that most people are fairly responsible with their drinking. It's just the few who abuse alcohol that you hear about.

@aeternus: ditto, we got a bar with happy hours and most of the time there isn't much problems. Sure, there was that one time a bunch of drunks decided to take over one of the social science buildings to 'protest', but I think that was the only big incidence with drunks.

My college is Catholic AND Irish. There is no way our campus could function without alcohol.

But seriously, as long as people act responsibly, I don't see why alcohol shouldn't be allowed on college campuses. I mean, at least if it's on campus less people will be driving around town after drinking.

@soniadoor: many people know themselves well enough when to stop drinking. It's the bad apples who drink to oblivion that can often cause problems, though they are not the majority. If they were, we'd have more problems with drunkards on campus cuz most people drink (and do drugs) there.

For example, one guy I know stayed away from flavored alcohol cuz, even though it tasted great, he couldn't keep track of how many he drank.

I think, KTC, that what you say is true for the US. However, outside the US, and especially in the sub-continent and the Middle East, either people don't drink or they are exceptionally heavy drinkers. The people who drink in moderation are negligible

@theone: I was specifically talking about campus drinkers since that what the topic was originally about and one I'm familiar with. I'm not going to make any generalizations about the population of US or anywhere else as I'm not familiar enough with the numbers.

Kenneth wrote:

Well, there is a thing I do, to don't get drunk, or too damaged by it, just gulp down a small glass of olive oil, and believe me, you won't have even the hell as a result from drinking alcohol.

That's disgusting. :|

The point of drinking is to get drunk, or at least buzzed.

soniadoor wrote:

"alchohol on campus"-no,bad idea

\

There's no way to get rid of alcohol on campus. No. Way. College = alcohol.