Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
SilverMist

Hopes and Prayers

With the news of the Earthquakes and Tsunamis affecting so many countries, I wanted to take a moment to send hopes and prayers to the people who maybe affected or have family in the path. Stay safe and take care.:AngelFriend:

The recent turn of events is truly horrifying. Worst part is that this was supposedly just the beginning of the tsunami attacks. May everyone be safe..

When I turned on my computer this morning, and opened Google, I saw the news about the Japan earthquake and the tsunamis. I hope sincerely that everyone will be okay, and that there won't be any more deaths. Be safe, all.

According to the official Kyodo news agency, 88,000 people have been reported missing... and that was as of around noon. It's a horrible tragedy, and it seems like they're only getting worse. In the last ten years, there has been at least one major disaster a year. It almost makes you believe that the world really is ending... When I read about it this morning, I was simply stunned. When I read that 88,000 people are missing, I cried. My prayers go out to everyone affected.

I hope that the event is not as easily forgotten as the earthquake in Haiti last year, or the recent Christchurch earthquake. I hate how the media latches onto an event for a few weeks and then acts like it never even happened. :(

@iPink: I won't say that there has been an increase in major disasters every year. It's just more is being reported as worldwide communication improves. And even then, not every disaster gets reported. As for the "media latches onto an event for a few weeks and then acts like it never even happened" that can be attributed to the 24 hour news cycle. They have to move on to the next story to keep people interested in the news. It's not completely the media's fault.

Edit: Just as an example, here's a list of "globally significant earthquakes" - "earthquakes of magnitude 7 and above, or which caused fatalities" - in the 21st century and in the 20th century. Not all of these get mentioned in the news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_21st-century_earthquakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th_century_earthquakes

I'm hope that I'm not coming across as callous. I feel really bad for Japan right now. And I usually keep track of events like this as long as possible.

I agree with mizzou. This isn't any indication that there's an increase of disasters every year.

It's just bad luck with japan being earthquake/tsunami country.

They don't call it the 'ring of fire' for nothing.

I sincerely hope and pray for Japan and all the other affected countries. May the people be safe and families of the victims be comforted. Its so sad....why do innocent people have to suffer? :(

As soon as I get back to school, I know that they'll be raising funds to send to the affected places. I hope that more people won't die from the radiation.

The radiation isn't anything to worry about. It's in gas form, it'll dissipate pretty quickly. It's doubtful that many more people will die from it.

From the news, the death count has gone up to 10,000. It’s kinda weird; Japan is supposed to be prepared for these sorta catastrophes. Especially, after world war II.

Also, compare Japan's 10,000 death to Haiti's 230,000 death (wiki).

Japan's quake was 8.9.

Haiti's quake was only 7.0.

Japan's preparations for earthquakes helped save a lot of lives compared to places who, like haiti, were poorly prepared for it.

@theone: wasn’t it supposed to be like a 35 feet high tsunami? And it is the country for tsunamis/earthquakes/nuclear power blasts etc. Even the term “tsunami” originated from Japan, I think.

13 meter ~= 40 feet, so you are both correct.

The current radiation levels from the malfunctioning power plants isn't a problem at the moment, but they are having trouble getting a couple back under control, so there is still a real threat of a possible meltdown.

I pray for them with my rosary almost everyday.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

It's so sad. It's affected so many lives, and who knows if Japan will ever truly recover? And now a war with Libya. What is wrong with this world?

Japan will most likely recover. There is no reason to think that it won't. Yes, there was a lot of damage, but that just means it'll take a little more time to recover.

Also, it's a rebellion in Libya. There really isn't a war going on.

I'm just a little overwhelmed by all that's going on in the world right now. But I wonder if Japan ever will fully recover. This is estimated to be the costliest disaster perhaps ever, and Japan is deeply in debt. If anything does happen with the nuclear plant(s?), then another disaster would unfold, perhaps a thousand times more dangerous.

Also, as far as I can tell, a war has begun in Libya between foreign powers and the Libyan government. Who knows how long it will last, but when one country begins to destroy another country's defenses, I'd call that the start of a war. Of course, then there's also the rebellion.

Japan most likely will have the nuclear power plant under control. I don't understand why the media keeps the hype up over it. It really isn't as big as a problem as the news wants you to believe. And of course Japan will recover, debt isn't going to keep it from recovering. The US is in debt but we still got over Hurricane Katrina. It just takes time. I know the damage to Japan is a lot more than Katrina, but that just means it'll take longer to recover.

No, no war. The UN is just enforcing a no fly zone this doesn't mean the foreign powers are at war. The rebellion is what you could call a war. The no fly zone isn't.

Japan will be fine eventually. It's not under that great of a stress that it would utterly collapse due to one very large natural disaster.

That would be haiti.