Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elemental

Computer Brightness Problem

So, I've been having some troubles with my computer's brightness level. It will keep changing, darkening and then getting lighter again (if I'm lucky soon afterwords), and it will do this 1-3 times in a five minute period. (about)

Anybody had this problem, a similar one, or have heard of it? Because it's really frustrating and I'd like to fix it. I'm using a Dell Latitude 6500, Windows XP.

Any help would be appreciated~!

(PS: Right forum? Mods are free to move this to the appropriate one.)

It's either a monitor issue or a videocard issue. A cord may be loose in the monitor. Also try updating your videocard drivers. Could be the inverters or backlighting circuits are failing..

But I would definitely check the wire connections first to be sure since that's the easiest. If all else fails, buy a new monitor. Walmart has LCDs for like 85$ nowadays.

Ooops, forgot to mention- this is a laptop. *headdesk* That's probably a crucial piece of information.

I'll see about checking the videocard drivers, though.

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

If it's not the video card or a problem with the monitor, it could have something to do with your power connections. I know laptops sometimes have different brightness settings depending on whether the laptop is plugged in or running on the battery.

Does your laptop have a brightness sensor or light sensor?

It might just be detecting different amounts of light because of shadows or whatever and adjusting because it thinks you can't see the screen very well.