Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheFool

Interview with New Producer Alena Saunders! - Newsletter

Interview with Alena Saunders

Welcome Alena, who mysterious goes by Alena on the forum and is our newest full time staff member here at Amaranth Games. She's been hired as our very first producer! Get to know her and welcome her to the team!

The Fool: What are you doing here at Amaranth Games?

Alena: is that a trick question? ;)

The Fool: They're all trick questions! ;)

Alena: I'm producing!!!! Producing awesome games from the very talented designer and brilliant team!

The Fool: What exactly does a producer do and does it involve fruit?

Alena: Yes it does! Fruit or vegetables become the source of my energy :) A producer does many things, I work with the designer, artists, musicians, sales people…

The Fool: To make us all actually work together?

Alena: Depends on the team: sometimes just to make people work together; in this case - to have a better game, ask questions that people may forget to ask themselves, help everyone to have answers that they need.

Alena: Really I think that a producer is there to serve the team - I can even bring coffee if that's what is needed! I want people to concentrate at what they are good at - artists on art, designer on design, programmers on programming. And I'm here to take care of everything else.

Alena: Think that team is Santa Clause, and a producer is an elf, just little bit more fashionable :)!

The Fool: That is a disturbing image.

The Fool: Ok let's get down to the important questions! I hear you left your last job to join us for a very special reason. Do tell!

Alena: I had a baby that I simply couldn't leave for 12 hours every day! AND I've known Amanda for a few years and we were talking of working together for awhile, so I'm glad it finally happened.

The Fool: Mazeltov! Boy? Girl? Name?

Alena: Toda. Girl Maya :)

The Fool: Toda?

Alena: that was a response to your mazal tov - toda is thank you in Hebrew.

The Fool: Man I am a terrible Jew. I bet Amanda didn't tell you why you almost didn't get the job. How do you feel NOT fitting the rhyme scheme? You know, Sharon (Our programmer), Karen (Our artist), and Aaron (Our musician)?

Alena: We'll make our own alliance of non-rhyming names: Joe, Olga, Amanda, Alena. :)

The Fool: Though you've just started, how does it feel to work with a team comprised almost entirely of women?

Alena: honestly I hadn't even thought about it - but u r right, before I've always worked in the environments where males and females were more evenly distributed :). Quite honestly doesn't make any difference to me.

Alena: Actually I would ask u this question - how does it feel to work with a team comprised almost entirely of women?

The Fool: Like I am a tasty piece of meat. I love every second of it.

Alena: aha, baby Maya is squeaking - meaning I need to go clean her butty and feed. Talk to u soon!

The Fool: … Seriously? That's how I end this interview!? … She's gone. Crap. AND WHO SAYS BUTTY!

The Fool: Well, welcome Alena and baby Maya. Greet Alena, ask her some questions, and make her feel the warm community we know and love... or just make fun of her for using the word butty.

Words from The Fool:

Behold the power of a virtual company. No office to pay for, we mostly work from home or nearby coffee shops, and most importantly it gives us time to spend with our family that would otherwise be spent in a car, train, bus, stuffy cubicle or all of the above. It has its downsides though, as Alena's first comment to me about the job was how many emails she gets a day. During crunch time it isn't unusual for me to go through over 100 emails a day. No Fooling.

LOL! You're ruthless ... unless, of course, your girlfriend's name is Ruth ... then you'd be Ruthful ... hmmm.

While Alena didn't follow our trend of -arons, she does balance the scales in the list of staff (including mods) at the beginning of the alphabet.

Welcome, Alena. So far, it's been great working with you - even if my to-do list HAS doubled in length. Maybe I should take you up on that coffee? ;)

Welcome, Alena! Congrats on your girl. I never could figure out what producers do esp when there's a director (movie) / designer (game) in the team. Btw, who's Olga?

And Bryce! You forgot Bryce! He's an essential part of the team too... sorta :evil:

TheFool said:

The Fool: Like I am a tasty piece of meat. I love every second of it.

Oh please no mental images please! :lol:

P.S. I've just had an ephiphany. Joe's the only one named above without an 'a' in his name :evil:

shaz wrote:

While Alena didn't follow our trend of -arons, she does balance the scales in the list of staff (including mods) at the beginning of the alphabet.

Yeah! Let's hear it for the A's! :D

Welcome, Alena!

<_<

>_>

BUTTY!

Welcome, Alena! Even though your name doesn't rhyme with mine (that rhyhmed), We share 3 out of 5 letters in common with our names, not bad!

Anyway, looking forward to working with you. Working for Amaranth Games over the last (6?) years has been so enjoyable and amazing.

Howdy Alena! Welcome to Amaranth Games! Congratulations on the baby! Maya is such a cute name. :) Good luck with being a non-rhyming-name person.

BTW, I'm obliged to make fun of your word choice. Butty... :P

Welcome Alena

P.S- Is she on the site?

@Shaz- Go get your own coffee. It helps control one's weight :P

EDIT: Butty. The Fool is putty in your hands. :D

See, the best part about butty is I can't even make that stuff up. She really did say it in our interview (Which I conducted in Skype). She basically hung up on me!

And I had no idea you guys were so into following our names.

Olga is one of our artists on the new secret project. Alena is spilling the beans! ;)

Btw expect the next game to be announced next month or so.... 30-60 days depending on how many whips Alena can crack at once.

I'll prod Alena over to the forums here shortly.

Welcome Alena... good to have you on-board... I know it's been a long time in the making!

I don't mind the term "Butty" given just how cute little Maya is!

Yes, Aisling... I get the "also ran" status given that I'm not really on the pay-roll... but perhaps someday I can break away from the evil day-job and join the forces "officially"... I'm working on a side-line project (no it's not a game) and with some luck, it'll get the process started.

As for the coffee delivery, well... given that we all work apart, being a producer is going to come with some Serious frequent flier miles! ;)

Thanks, guys! I feel all warm and fuzzy now!! :)

Seriously it's a great place to be and I'm very glad I'm here. In regards to the coffee - come closer and I'll get you one! Or two.. Or three... Who counts... ;)

And yes, Maya is very cute (I'm super objective on that topic) so there is no other word for her little behind :).

shaz wrote:

Olga is the artist who did Grimm's Hatchery :)

Not the same Olga who did Magic Farm?

TheFoot wrote:

Btw expect the next game to be announced next month or so.... 30-60 days depending on how many whips Alena can crack at once.

OMG ALENA IS THE NEW ELINI!!! It TOTALLY makes sense now that I think about it... she probably just switched the vowels in her name and ta-da! *ducks and runs from her whips*

Oh come now, Bryce, we all know you're a full time employee of Amaranthia because... you feed the cats! XD

Aisling, I don't see an Olga in the credits for Magic Farm (I see an Oleg), but it's possible, as I recall Amanda recommending her. Yes, Joe, Olga IS working on the secret game :) I can't tell you about it, because Alena wields a very scary whip!

I just saw a pic of Maya ... wow, where can I get one of those?! It's good that I'm on the other side of the world - if Mark saw me cuddling her, he'd start to worry ;)

My bad, shaz. They're two different people, now that I've checked Robin Games forum. :)

P.S. Seeing your admission of being whipped (or threat of being whipped) is absolutely delicious. Like vanilla and cookie ice cream :evil:

Welcome to the team, Alena (although I already welcomed you via email .... yup, I'm one of those many emails you received. Sorry.)

In the discussion of names, I guess I fit with no group, but then I'm not a salaried employee (just get royalties), so I understand not being mentioned. ;)

I think you will be wonderful for the team, letting each do what he/she does best, while you coordinate everything. It must be fun, since we're scattered all over the world. :D

I hope you thoroughly enjoy working with all of us.

And, last, but certainly not least, congratulations on your new baby!! How wonderful to have a new life to love. :)

Again, WELCOME!

Alena, it is good to see you join the team and I look forward to the reveal of the secret project. :)

For the names, if You don't look at Joe the second list all end with A. ;)

I'm getting a clue. Does this mean the elusive Fool's name is Joe?

I second the plea for baby pictures. You know how we women love to have baby pictures to goo and gah over!

Welcome to the team Alena, and hope you enjoy. How lucky you are to look after your baby at home and avoid commuting, and have a dream job as well. You are blessed.

I have never played Grimm's Hatchery. Should I?