Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
theone

iPhone Tracks you

You aren't paying attention. The information on that phone is not anything that cannot be easily gained otherwise. It's not even a simpler means as you'd need to steal the phone to get the information rather than just following a person or whatever. It's no more dangerous than living your life, and people are simply paranoid. :P

@iPink

I have been paying attention. The information can actually be gained easily. This is Apple we're talking about. They aren't known for security. Like I said before, you don't need the phone, since the data is stored on any computer the phone has been connected to.

@Kenneth

It's not an application. Apple has to remove it with an update.

@KTC, for that to ever happen, they would have to get a hold of my iphone and then replace the tracking chip with their own. Which is kind of pointless. I mean sure it'd make for a good movie of something that has a 1% chance of actually ever happening..

@Mopiece: Then someone would have to access any computer the iPhone had been plugged into, which is no easier a task, unless you're really weird and plug it into any computer you see. I guess we'll just agree to disagree. :)

@Ipink- How many times have you sent your computer for repair? How many times have you plugged your iPhone in your friend's computer for repair? Not to mention the fact that people steal phones everyday here. Once they get the phone, they might think, "Hang on. We can get the location data by downloading a simple app. Think, if this chap has such a nice set, he'll be rich." And there goes your wealth.

Again, if not anyone else, your friends and family can see this data. If you have a work iPhone, the boss can go, "Mr. _____ was sick and managed to go to the football game? Well, let's dock his pay now, shall we?"

@thone: Never, and never. The idea that anyone is more likely to steal from you or whatever just because some information is on your phone is just silly. It makes no sense and it seems to me that people want to believe they're important enough that there's a big risk. :P Besides that, a person's wealth is not in their possessions but in the estate and bank account. Someone is not going to suddenly be poor because a person stole stuff from them because their phone was stolen or... what?

And your next point just made me roll my eyes. If a person calls in sick and then goes to a football game then they deserve punishment. :roll:

Yeah because bosses are really understanding. You've never worked, have you?

And I don't mean someone will steal your iPhone for location data. I'm saying someone who steals your iPhone gets your location data. Not to mention if you sell your iPhone, the new owners do as well

I mostly agree with iPink on that side. But if any other information, such as photos and such can be stolen from your iPhone like this, I can say it's not a joke, but somehow, myself, I'd feel uncomfortable knowing that I am followed every step. But let's agree how idiotic this sounds: A thief does all in his powers to break the Apple database, steal a file about you, where you are in a certain day, and after that arrange the thievery, or simply wait by the edge of a building and check when the owned leaves. It would be stupidly complicated even for the dumbest person in the world would be obvious (Paris Hilton), so I don't think ANYONE would try to steal from you by using an iPhone. ( That sounded sooo wrong, stealing using an iPhone....)

@Theo

WHY would someone sell their iPhone after they paid about 500 dollars on it, COME ON! Selling it at half the price isn't an option, really!

@theone: You don't seem to understand. If you call in sick in order to have a day off for fun, you are in the wrong. If a boss finds out about that, they have every right to dock your pay. Dishonesty is the new standard, but that doesn't make it right. :roll:

@iPink

Just because you think it's silly, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or won't happen. It's not people thinking they are important. It's Apple stores data and tracks where you go. This data can be used against someone. It has the potential to harm.

Yes, those things do. But the information is more harmful than the other things.

Again, just because you think something is silly doesn't mean it's true. I find religion ridiculous, and not worth it to follow. Does that mean it's true? No. That just my opinion. Just like it is your opinion that this isn't a big deal.

But every harmful thing sometimes may have life-saving effects. Let's say that an important private which has precious data about x and y is taken hostage and is brought to a secret place, and he has an iPhone with it. That data on the phone would be helpful if a computer with Internet would be close and the two would sync together could prove life-saving, couldn't it?

And since it will be fixed with an update, why do we keep fighting over such a trivial matter?

You could track the phone just by waiting for someone to use the phone.

It shouldn't have been there in the first place. That's why there is a fight over it.

This is why I don't have a phone...well actually, though I'm a teenager, I have a cellphone but meh....I don't use it at all much. :P

Apple shouldn't do this I feel. but then again, with all the technology increasing, the theft and criminal rates are increasing too so they want to take a precaution I guess. Its good and bad at the same time depending on situations.

@phoenixilla- This feature doesn't prevent theft. It transfers data to any computer it synchs with so it does not help prevent thefts. My problem is that if someone steals the phone (And please, people actually steal phones to sell them) they can also sell detailed information of your daily schedule to other thieves.

Actually, it WAS intended by apple. The application did not just spawn itself. They made it to one day sell location data to advertisers for money. That is painfully obvious. For example, if you don't install something will it appear on your computer? Same way, Apple PURPOSELY put this app in the mobile, not by accident. Whether it's dangerous or not is one thing but the app was put on Purpose

The application was put on the phone, but was not completely finished, and a registry file remained on the phone, which records the data, that wasn't intended by Apple. That file is like a crumble from the crypt of the Apple core OS.

It was put there on purpose by Apple. They knew what it was doing. They knew what it was there. They didn't do anything to take it off until now.