Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
theone

Since when did AM get so mean?

OK, first up, this is not related to any thread in which I posted in the last few minutes. I've realized that people have got too mean. Little criticism of their work leads to flames which continue in chats. What happened to broad minded and humble AM? And I don't blame new members. Old members are also way too mean and bounce on every single error.

If you're talking about me then I won't take offense. =O I know I've been kind of harsh recently, and I apologize.

But anyways, I see what you mean whether you're talking about me or not. Amaranthia used to have a broad range of opinions and everyone respected everyone else. I've been part of this, although I try very hard to be open-minded and respect other people. I don't know why, except that I've seen on other forums and even in 'real life' that tensions are rather high and people are rather irritable this season. I know it sounds weird, but I bet if you watch you'll notice it. :P

As I haven't commented on any literary works here, i don't think i've posted any nasty criticism.

Now if we're talking bout debates, than I'm scratching my head cuz I'm generally courteous and not mean. If I do appear so, than please alert me so I can tone it down.

If you feel that someone is being mean, you should have PMed one of the moderators with proofs (links to the topics or snapshot of chatroom). We may not always be around 24/7, but we do attend to each and every complaint the moment we receive them.

And please, don't simply tar the whole of AM with the same brush. That's extremely unfair, especially considering the very different people we have here.

You can't say that everybody is humble or mean. That's biased enough. AM can be humble most of the time because of the presence of young children (usually 7y/o up) but there are times that you should experience a learning within the site, usually through constructive criticism. There are some that would usually give constructive criticism, which would usually be painful to the heart. However, I do not understand why many cannot accept this type of criticism. While some people openly accept CC (constructive criticism) for improvement, some look at it as a mean response (equivalent to "Your work sucks").

These criticisms of which I speak often aim for individuals to improve as a writer/composer/artist and learn from their mistakes. However, some persons give criticism for negative purposes such as intentionally putting someone into shame.

In a nutshell: Everybody has opinions to respect, but you have to respect others as well.

Oh, and I am not apologizing. As long as each of us is concerned, I mean every word I say unless I say it's a joke/another foolishness of mine.

I'm not saying harsh criticism. I just saw this happen. It did not happen to me. People are also getting way too touchy after recieving criticism. And obviously I only mean a limited potion. I haven't even posted or updated a story in a month, so obviously I don't need to learn to take criticism :P

@theone:- I remember lol 3, 3 nd a half year back....i wz new nd i wanted to make it to a guild......i actually had the audacity to make a thread known as "free gold...jst post" in the village square.....I gt an awesome reception by every senior member then....wow it wz 3 or 4 pages of absolute insultin......thank god phoenixdown nd ktc kind of warmed them dwn bt hey tht wz really mean....nt tht i didn't deserve it :)

Mmm... I'm aware that I can sound like a snob at times. I'm falcon-nitpicky about everything and is such a canon stickler that I embarrass myself a lot. I apologize if how I rant about what so-and-so canon should be like or my nitpicking sounds snobby and mean. I try not to sound all holier-than-thou, but it happens.

And if I sound snappy in my replies to people's comments... Well, if people weren't clear about their critiques I get frustrated because I don't know which part of the work needs fixing. Then I go badger the commenter on what exactly do they mean by their comment. Sometimes I feel like my replies sound defensive and angry, so... apologies for that too.

I can see how you feel about the site being 'mean.' People can get defensive, and they can post things that are very critical or a little offensive to some. Also, since this is a forum, comments meant to be helpful or not harsh can seem mean or angry. Since we aren't talking face to face, we can't always tell what tone of voice someone is using or if they're being sarcastic, joking, etc. People could sound mean and be acting nicely. It's a matter of perspective.

I'm also sorry if I come over a little mean. I don't think that I do, but I'm sorry anyways.

@spirit: 'free gold just post' lol. That must have been a fun thread!

Yeah, me too sometimes being all stubborn and defensive. I like to critic, but yes, i'm not too good at choosing words, which makes it seems like flaming. So, sorry for that.

@yuffie:

nah, i think the thread wasn't so fun because there're people who againts it.

@yuffie:- Yea lol, the mods were all over me...though i wz well a little more foolish then.....

@shadowshed:- i think ur choice of words rn't offensive at all,:)...

unless of course ur worst is yet to be seen :)

KTC wrote:

@nick: lol! it used to be a lot of things when the old gang was around XD

I miss us. What happened? D: Is this forum even active anymore?

.____.

it's still active, just tons of new faces and none of the old around cept for arggie, but he doesn't chat as often.

Nick, you're cracking me up over here with your "meaner when I was around" comment... I'd not say it was so much "mean", but there were some volatile topics :)

Yes, lots of new faces... and with them comes the inevitable patterns in the forums that we all experienced when we first joined.

But on the subject of people on the site being mean, I'd ask that those whom write give a moment before pressing that "Submit" button... and those reading, remember that this is just another person’s expression based often on a very limited sample of information... take a deep breath before taking comments too seriously.

Ultimately, the web gives everyone the perspective of being detached from one another... the value of this perspective is recognized by all, but leveraged by each differently.

P.S. Good to see you on-line Nick… I’ve often tossed around the idea of sparking up some of your historical debate topics just to see the varied tempers roar again… but nah, I’ll wait ‘till they surface again naturally. :)

YOU ALL SUCK I HATE YOU ALL AGHHAHGSHAHGSAHGASD

I used to go to an all girls graphics forum and there was CONSTANT drama =p Try to be more polite to others even if you don't agree with them. State why not, then yeah move on. I mean do you guys REALLY want to be one of those people who hates everybody who doesn't share their opinion in something? =p

Brycej wrote:

P.S. Good to see you on-line Nick… I’ve often tossed around the idea of sparking up some of your historical debate topics just to see the varied tempers roar again… but nah, I’ll wait ‘till they surface again naturally. :)

By all means, please do. I got to post A comment in the one that was just locked. D:< Together KTC and I make a lean, mean arguing machine.

...and perhaps "blunt" was more of the word I was looking for? :3

It's because she's always right. and luckily enough we agree on 99.5% of things. C: Therefore, I never look stupid. I can hold my own pretty well though.

Oh right, Because if I'm always 100% right, then she must be wrong 0.5% of the time. Gotcha. ;)

And being persuasive requires that people ACTUALLY READ WHAT YOU WRITE. and most of the time when KTC and I get into an argument with peeps, they really just kind of skim and/or skip right over what we say. D: