Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
NightMelody

What’s the thing with vampires?

Warning: Very big rant.

Okay, since Twilight came out everyone’s been nutty about vampires! It’s starting to nauseate me! It’s always the same story, human girl falls in love for vampire, vampire doesn’t want to bite her and everyone wants to kill her, or him, or the vampire is the girl and the guy the human, but it’s the same story either way.

Vampires used to be awesome, like… Lestat or his Master. Or even Spike from Buffy before he became into a self pitting idiot like Angel. Or like Dracula… or even Alucard… who’s actually Dracula anyway (I’m talking about the Hellsing Allucard). They were these empowering, mysterious sexual machines who evoked darkness, fear, interest and mystery into our mind.

But is what happened to vampires nowadays? They turned into these emo troubled teens that can’t live with their… vampirehood! Self pitting morons who think it’s their duty to protect their human lover and not let it turn into a Monster like them. It’s always the same thing over and over.

If I turned into a vampire I wouldn't trouble over it… AWESOME, first person I would bite would be Hugh Jackman. Screw it if he hates me afterwards! I would still bite him anyway to preserve the hotness! *thinks about it* I would totally do that! He’s the sexiest Van Hellsing ever! He can stake my heart any day…

Actually… no, don’t stake my heart!

Also now everyone has been crazy over sparkling vampires. What’s the deal? Noone bothered that much over sparkling fairies! And they sparkled all their life. *thinks* It’s probably because of that. They flame about the story and the sparkles and everything, though some do have a point.

The story it’s the same thing as every other vampire love story ever! Seriously! It’s like they scoop up the same piece of poop from the dirt wrap it in a pretty cover and sell it. And people actually buy it, I know I bought one examplar of Twilight, and of Vampire Diaries and dowloaded the very first volume of Vampire Knight... The worst spent hours of my life.

Either way, the sparkles. The Sparkling vampires, the sparklepires, anywhere I go is the same thing. People either love them or hate them! And still none will shut up about them! So we go anywhere and there’s people adoring sparkling vampires and people flaming them… okay I honestly don’t care if a vampire wears body glitter or not… shut up about it already. Vampire Knight, Vampires are blood drinking superheros and no one bothered about them…

Troll: They don’t sparkle…

Ye but they’re still Mary Sues. They’re almost unbeatable, kick one to the sun, does he burn? No? Try to beat Kaname’s butt, it’s easier to overpower Superman, and I’m being nice. Only thing he’s lacking to turn into a vampire superman is to fly. Actually I think he teleports, because sometimes he just poofs out from inexistence.

Troll: But aren’t you flaming about sparkling vampires?

Nooo.

I’m flaming every vampire who doesn’t burn under the sun and that practically has no weakness.

I don’t care if under the sun they sparkle, they turn blue, they can even turn into Elvis Presley, if it doesn’t burn under the sun, then it’s not a vampire.

I also don’t care what blood they drink, human blood, animal blood, pig blood. If it drinks blood but the sun still doesn’t harm them, then it’s not a vampire, it’s a demon who has a weird diet. It’s probably some short of non-human creature, demon or spirit of some short. Some incubi drink blood!

And now you can’t do anything that drinks blood or that sparkles, shimmers or anything like it that it instantly is vampire. Not kidding. One of my friend is constantly saying Vaio is a vampire because he shimmers and has gold eyes. And he doesn't even drink blood.

In a few months well get self pitting emotional teens sharpening their canines and drinking animal blood and calling themselves vegetarian vampires… Oh wait, some already do that.

Only thing these romances show is that obsessive love is okay, that it’s okay to let a man run your life as long as he loves you, that you don't need to have anything appealing or special or interesting to attrack a man's atention because your prince charming will poof out magicly at you, that biting is a sign of love and that you can wear body glitter if you’re a man with only fearing to be seen as a vampire. Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

Troll: You just described Twilight.

Take out the body glitter part and I have just described 95% of the Vampire novels, not counting Dracula nor any horror ones.

---End of rant---

Okay, i had to say this all after watching today the lousy terrible portuguese rip off of Twilight married Vampire Diaries, "A Lua Vermelha".

It's the lamest, most terrible, most obvious rippoff portuguese television ever made! I'm not going to tell anyone of you to watch. PLEASE DON'T WATCH IT! I don't want any of you to have that idea of portuguese colture, I just had to vent off how nauseating and annoying todays vampires have becomed. And sorry for the big rant.

So share with me your opinion. What you think of todays vampires? Do you agree with me?

Well, you're kind of saying that all vampires nowadays stink, which I totally disagree with. But, I do agree with you on one thing:

Scary Vampires = Demons who Turn People into their Demonic Slaves by sucking their blood in the night and burn in the sun

Well-Made Vampires = Soulless Creatures who Burn in the Sun, make people vampires by biting them, and suck their blood for sustenance

Twilight Vampires = Wingless Fairies who Suck Human Blood

I'm talking in general when saying all vampires. Some vampires like Tei'jal are still good. Others however have gone down the drain, are either superheros wannabees or self pitting annoyances.

Vampires can be totally cool if they break the stupid twilight mode.

Vampires I fanboy hard over:

Vampire The masquerade Bloodlines- I'm pretty sure everyone knows my fanboying over malkavian clan yes? If not, just look at my rants over in the game topic.

Legacy of Kain series: dude, awesome vampires. Clan concept again.

Hellsing; Alucard makes the dazzpires seem like spineless wusses.

Teijal: the way I write her is to make her a combination of legacy of kain and dracula vamps. Not sure I succeed but ppl happen to like it so *shrugs*

...Angel is amazing, whiny at times, but he's amazingsexyness never the less ("billowy coat, King of pain"), though I do completely love Spike when he's not lovesick and 'good'

My question is why does at least a third of all teen books have something to do with vampires, werewolves, dead paranormal things? I refuse to read any book that mentions vampires because they're all the same, like you said, tortured and annoying. Where are the cool evil vampires who like killing? Why are they all wimpy and boring?

Though I do have to say one of the few exceptions is Meg Cabot's Insatiable, which is different than most vampire novels and just plain amazing

cuz vampires are the "in" thing right now, so you're gonna have a bunch of rip offs.

Though exactly what is a vampire.

http://www.eng.umu.se/monster/inger/doc/linguistics.htm

"A Vârcolaci is a very unusual vampire that does not drink the blood of humans. Instead it eats the sun and the moon.

The Yugoslavian vampire either drinks the blood of his victims or has amorous relations with a former wife, girlfriend or young widows.

(Estonian) The type that seems to be the most domestic is the one called Vampiir. It torments people by lying on them and suffocating them. It does not drink blood.

Hungary has practically no legends about vampires which further undermines the fourth theory about the origin of Vampire as being Hungarian. The closest thing to a vampire is the Ludverc or Luderc. It is a burning shaft or star that enters the house and, by taking on the appearance of a dead husband or wife, sleeps with the mourning widow or widower and drains them of blood. There is on the other hand a great belief in the undead but they do not suck blood and should not be put in the same category as vampires."

Another webby bout the origins of vampires:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/990454/vampires_myth_and_origin.html?cat=37

"Early Romanians believed that a vampire was a werewolf-like creature, that was shunned by God and feeds off the moon and the sun creating eclipses.

Serbia: Believed to be a reanimated dead body, this version of the vampire is more like a zombie. Supposedly and evil spirit will raise the dead body and allow it to walk amongst the living, drinking the blood of the innocent.

"

I think the estonian one is actually the Old Hag spirit, i know i researched it when looking for my newest villain, and i the trivia i think it appeared as the estonian vampire.

Anyway, angel, legacy of Kain and the masquerade vampires are all "old" vampires. They are prior to 2007, all prior to 2007 vampires are still good vampires, than after 2007 these annoying troubled teen self pittying vampires started appearing.

I agree with KTC, vampires are "in" now so lets spam every work of litterature and television with vampires till people get so sick of it they will even barf at the mention of word vampire.

There's some good vampire ideas and stuff out there past 2007. You just have to know where to look.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines is actually based on a dungeons and Dragons-like game of the same name, so its still going on today. I would love to get my hands on some of the actual clan/rule books but I think the technical aspects of the game will ultimately put me off.

White Wolf is going to release an MMO based on Vampire The masquerade later this year which I think is going to be very exciting.

Vampire Hunter D is still being written to present. While D is a half breed, the universe in which the manga/novels are still nonetheless very interesting.

Daybreaker, while the movie itself sucked badly, I thought it was an interesting premises in which the whole world was run by vampires and humans were the hunted minority.

From what I could skim, True Blood vamps is different from the Twilight wangsty dazzpires. Though i could be wrong as I've only watched one episode and was thoroughly confused on what's going on.

And finally: Teijal who has many fans quite willing to be her blood bag. <3

Ever heard of Sanctuary (currently running TV series)? The vamps in that were all powerful and ruled the Earth. They could live forever and had amazing traits. They weren't angsty and boring. They were kick-butt monsters! That's the kind of vamps that I like.

Old vamps were the best- I mean, they were scary, burst into flames, "immakilludrinkyourblood" type vamps. They made the the stories worth reading, or playing, or whatever.

Some of Today's vamps: They're nasty weird teenage freaks who just want to be accepted or whatever. I don't know who came up with the original Twilight-esque (I use the term loosely) vamp (It was probably S.Meyer, right?), but that was a change from the norm. If only one person had done it, then it would have been fine, and not as many people would be angry or upset by them. The problem was that people copied these vamps.

House of Night Vamps are kind of old school, but kind of Twilight-esque at the same time. They're fine. Then there are these vamps that are total rip offs of Twilight that make you want to barf. The problem is that these whiny brat vamps were overused. I'm not saying that they were bad, though, because in their own way they're interesting. How people stole the idea, though, is what makes the world of vamps seem like a hideous freak show.

I kind of went on a rant, too...

-----End of Rant-----

Hey, I hear ya.

Vampires used to be evil, but since Mr. Edward came out every one wants to meet one and fall in love with him/her.

And then, they're upset with their own boyfriend/girlfriend because they can't be like Edward or Bella.

It's stupid

This is for all you sane people who think Twilight is just a long stupid boring idiotic soap opera.

heehee

Human/vampire relationships could be cool if the vampire stops angsting over being a vamp, stops treating the human like a porcelain doll, etc.

Course, I'm just going from my own human/vamp fanfic which hasn't made many people run for the hills yet hehe. Nutshell: Teijal loves her vampiness, enjoys killing way too much for Rhen's liking, and Rhen smacks Teijal whenever she gets too insane. Somehow, they work :3

(Oh, and Evil!Teijal/Evil!Rhen are totally fun to play with cuz than I can up Teijal's craziness, Rhen's bloodthirst, and oh yeah :evil: )

And I'm reading this one comic where it features a malkavian/ventrue vampire side couple and they are so cute together while being all cool with their vampiness. Malkavians are literally insane, Ventrues like order/planning/rational/logic/etc. Anyone see the awesome crack going on here?

k, i'll stop advertising and fanboying now XD

Lol that ed vs buffy is epic XDD. If the actual Twilight was like that.

Anyway, I love your Tei'jal KTC, she's just epic awesome XD.

I miss good old vampires. Haven't watched Sanctuary but I actually don't like overpowering vampires with no weaknesses they're almost like gods. I'm reading this story about vampires and it's almost like that, it's hilarious and the only reason i read it is so i can fangirl over M-21 and Frankenstein, but I personally don't see the vampires as being vampires, they're almost like gods. It's Noblesse by the way.

Besides, it's funny to see Rei angsteying over "deing" on CS XD.

lol, if twilight ended like that, there wouldn't be a trilogy! (which might actually be a good thing XD)

me teijal: yay :D

Yeah, I tend not like overpowered vampires either with no weaknesses at all. Must have something that can hurt you or its just a bloodsucking (assuming dracula like vamps) god on earth. And gods are boring.

Alcuard is the exception as he doesn't really have any permanent exploitable weakness. Can't cross water? Get a boat. Got a massive army? Sweet, so does he. Got sunlight? Hello wide rim hat and no burning sensations. Schrodinger's Cat? Give him 10 years to recuperate. Got uber powers? His pwns yours easily. Still kick butt though.

Twi-suck is a tetralogy, actually, but whatever.

Ahhh, god-like vampires. I suppose THAT'S why I pitched a fit over Noblesse. You can't call a being a vampire and then make it behave like something else. The whole "treat/think of them as not-vampires" thing doesn't go well with me at all. If the only way we can tolerate their characterization-fail and myth-fail is by thinking of them as something else, then don't bother making them vampires. That's exactly what Twilgiht did and it's just as annoying even though the story may be better. I am more forgiving about Noblesse because it's just a webcomic, as popular as it may be online. Online popularity is not the same as the mass-phenomenon of Twilight.

I've been hearing of Vampire: the Masquerade. Gotta look more into that later. I only know that in Vampire: the Requiem there's a race of sexy-but-dangerous vamps called Daevas which made me LOL to no end.

Vampire the Masquerade is set in two worlds, the old (VtM) and new (requiem).

The new one is set after the old one was retconned with Gehenna, vampire Armageddon.

there's hecka information out there bout lots of clans, weaknesses, powers, its own lore/mythology, how to level up the powers, etc. it gets pretty overwhelming really fast @_@

And that's not even including the other creatures available like werewolves and witches.

I mostly stick with the game, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines cuz its way easier to understand and a lot less intimidating lol.

Malkavians FTW! (yes that's a cow girl outfit. fits nicely with school girl, cop girl, and biker girl lol)

Oh good grief, it looks like a very complicated universe. I have a PDF for the Daeva clan guidebook thing that I found while researching and WOW! That was falcon-complicated. It didn't help that it was a PDF either. Very uncomfortable to read :S

@agas: there's over 2 gigs (not including the PC games and mini tv series) of info bout vampire masquerade. good luck *salutes*

I dunno, the serbian vampire sounds a lot like twilight if edward has fairy ancestry.

and then if it really is a serbian vampire, his children will become vampire hunters. :evil:

ah Vampires...they give me terrible vomit feeling these days..sadly.

I've seen the 1st Twilight movie and haven't reached the end cause I got sleepy...so probably I should say "I tried to see", never bothered about other sparkly part of the twilight :)

Cool vampires? I don't think that Dracula is cool -_-' I mean I love the legends about the real person Dracula but not the fictional Dracula from the book :P

Also I don't like "vampire hunter - vampire" stories...totally boring ...I mean that's always the problem with Vampires these days...if they are not some lovey-sparkly-doveys, they are bloodsuckers that get hunted down by hunters, the second vampires are better but....still nothing interesting -_-'

I personally think that there's more to Vampires than sucking blood and fear from the light.

Anyone seen or read Salem's Lot from Stephen King? I love how he portrayed the vampires. Not too long ago I saw an anime called Shiki and it reminded me of Salem's Lot vampires, but personally I find it better.

Archaeon

Vampires have been enjoying quite a renaissance in Western media lately, mainly because of the advent of Twilight. In anime however, tales of bloodsuckers have been pretty constant over the years, but like the West there has been an increase in the number of stories involving the children of the night. The only problem is, they all seem to romanticise vampires by giving them kind, gentle personalities, good looks, a reluctance to drink human blood, or some other hook to make the viewer believe that creatures who look on humans as food can be considered friendly.

And then Shiki comes along and blows that whole idea out of the water.

pilipino101

I've seen my fair share of vampire anime; and I have to say, it was under vast number of genres, as well as themes. Shiki however, pulls you back in to what the traditional myth of vampires; added to it that it's a thriller, it will move anyone who's a vampire fan.

JusticeUndone

Until maybe a decade ago vampire stories were at their prime. I, as well, used to be a big fan of such stories. In my eyes, those tales were thrilling, grasping me the whole way through and leaving me mostly utterly terrified. After hundreds of movies, books and tv series based on the vampire myth,though, vampires started to lose their original shine. They were just so overused that one could easily stop caring anymore. If anyone of you came asking me what I believed a vampire was I’m not quite sure of what my answer would be. Can they die from sunlight or do they glitter like the sun? Are they really fearsome or do they look like they just came out of a beauty pageant? Questions like these, that many of you might have, at one point, thought, made me stop watching about vampires whatsoever. And then came Shiki, taking the vampire story onto a whole new level, returning them back to their former days of glory.

jet2r0cks

Vampire anime has never been my cup of tea. I’ve seen a fair amount of such anime and for me, they usually turn out to be really corny (such as Dance in the Vampire Bund), boring (such as Shingetsutan Tsukihime), shallow and chockfull of fanservice (Rosario + Vampire) or just plain lame (Black Blood Brothers). I’ve gotten tired of seeing vampires presented to be as majestic, perfect, idol-like creatures, leading glamorous lives and just happen to suck blood for nourishment. Are vampires really monsters, or just sissies?

Then I saw Shiki.

etc, etc, etc

These are quotes from Shiki reviews on MAL and I think you can see my point, I personally am not good in finding words to describe how awesome is Ono Fuyumi's (she's also the author of Ghost Hunt and Twelve Kingdoms...and yeah Shiki as well) work, so that's why I used them.

Vampires in Shiki are a great mix from many Vampire legends. They can not come to your home if they are not invited, so you are safe, they are sensitive to light and are hiding themselves in coffins through day, you can kill them with wooden stake and yes they raise from the ground just like Zombies do (Serbian Vampires XD) but they are not Zombies at all (zombies eat brain, can't think and guided by their hunger...I'm not familiar with them but hmmm that's my opinion I guess lol), and not all of the bitten raise only the chosen ones :) There are werewolves but according to Shiki, a werewolf is a special breed of Vampire that can stay in the sunlight and werewolves are pretty rare...usually happens when the person that turns into a vamp does turn into one before he/she is dead ^^

Also you know what's really great, there are no vampire hunters with cool weapons that will get rid of the bloodsuckers, but people from the village do their job and well it does turn into a terrible and disturbing story, cause humans can be worse than Vampires when they are angry ;)

@Moony- Lols, my sister forced me to go to the cinema with her to watch twilight since her friends like it. I wanted to leave by the 15th minute......

Vampires these days are AWFUL. Some animes and RPG's like Aveyond actually have nice vampires. Rest are......

this

"OMG, I love her but I can't tie her to the immortal life of pain which she will suffer in. How could I be so emo and dark? Kill me."

@theone: at least it was your sister and not your dad. *facepalm*

egads, what was he thinking?! he never even heard of twilight before D:

as for modern vampires: well, there's always underworld with its werewolf/vampire luving.

Though seriously, why is it always werewolves are the eternal enemies of vamps? Even Vampire masquerade Bloodlines had this =.=;;

edit:

Dudes! check this out o.o!

@KTC O.O YOUR DAD?!!! OMG?!!

nice kit btw :D

@theone I agree on AV vamps..they are not lovey-dovey suckers, but blood suckers,driven by lust and they are sensitive to light etc etc

Ah-huh. And I hang on to my belief that AV vampires, especially those who has lived for so long that they pretty much forgot how human life worked, doesn't care for/about romantic physical contact. As in, to them making out is about the same as biting. It means nothing to them. Hence why Te'ijal never tried to do anything funky to Galahad :evil: Though even if she did, poor Galahad would run away first, of course.