Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aurora

I'm home schooled, but may be going to public school. Any advise?

My parents are getting a divorce, and that means I'll probably be going to Public school. I've been home schooled My entire life, and am kinda scared :)

Any advise?

KTC: Oh no, we go to a co-op, so I've interacted with kids before :)

Ashen_Eclipse: I'm 14, but not sure what grade I'm in. We don't really do grades.

14, so you're entering middle school 8th grade or highschool freshman, if you're a typical 14 year old from US.

If its middle school, the groups will have already been established so you'd need to work it a bit to get into a group if that's what you want.

If its high school, its a little easier since groups haven't been established.

Just be friendly with everyone and learn the ins/outs of the school.

I recommend taking another look at this topic for how to fit in with groups.

Not much you can do cept chat people up and follow common sense lol.

Also, it might depend on how clique-y your school is. Some have a strict hierarchy like you see in TV. Others, not so much.

I came from a highschool that didn't have much of a hierarchy so it was cool if we hanged out where ever and with whoever.

However, others might not be so lenient. I'd take some time to learn who not to mess with and/or spots to avoid.

Got it :)

Thank you so very much.

And I posted like a paragraph on that topic yesterday :D So... I've seen it, but thanks anyways

Merged posts.Use the edit button. Don't double post.

~Mopiece

I’d not be as worried about the other students as I’d be about the curriculum.

Remember, the vast majority of those around you will have taken all the expected preceding courses… a foundation of expectation has been set… and while you may be more than prepared for this, the odds are that there will be disparities somewhere.

I would suggest you chat with each of your instructors and ask for a syllabus so you can review what’s coming and assess where you are in those subjects… it’s better to prepare a bit in advance than to find yourself the only one in the class not understanding a subject that was taught in the preceding year or quarter.

There will be some adjusting related to your schedule as well... no more re-ordering of classes to meet your schedule… your schedule has to meet your courses!

Ultimately, it’ll be an education in many ways… but don’t panic not, it’s not all bad. :)

Well Aurora, homeschooled children are most definitely smarter than public schooled children, but at a cost - Most all of them haven't been properly socialized. It's half of what you learn in public schools. Though you're not there to actually socialize, it's still a social setting, so that's exactly what's going to happen. You'll do more than fine academically, statistically speaking of course.

If I were you, my first day I would bring a batch of cupcakes or sweets and introduce yourself confidently. Some teachers will introduce you themselves, but honestly most of them hate their jobs, so they'll just tell you to take a seat. Don't forget to ask before class if you can pass them out. Then tell them you've been homeschooled. Many kids are going to want to talk to you about what its like, be jealous etc.. Jealous because they get to be home all day instead of waking up uber early and going to public school. HAH!

Kick someone's butt the first day ... no wait... that's prison.

I say just be yourself. You won't fit in, but it takes till you're my age to realize nobody fits in. Roll with it.

Of course, I am a fool.

Be ready for a culture shock. I went from private academy to a public school and the differences were huge. I can only imagine the differences between homeschooling and a public school. I would assume you'll be in the same town/city, and that should help. Going from a small town to a large city would be worse.

Ive found that a lot of home schooled kids are more conservative/sheltered in regards to their appearance and social understanding, I'm not saying you are. But most kids know about fashion and makeup, etc at that age. Brushing up on current trends and events will help you fit in and find a group if you're not up to speed.

Yes, our mother makes us wear skirts and no makeup (we have 7 girls). So I'll ask if she would let us change a little for public school. And my two best girlfriends are both public schooled so I have some experience with makeup, having been to all their sleepovers and such. So that might help also.

Thank you for all your kind advise.

If anyone has anything else, I would welcome it.