Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
NightMelody

What Finns (and the World) need to know about Portugal

After I saw this video I had to share it and open a disussion thread. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e87AhRkN50

I am portuguese, and what alot of people don't know is that Portugal is undergoing a terrible economical crisys and almost NOONE whatsoever wants to help Portugal surpass it. Only country who has helped so far was CHINA(of course in return we have to allow them to make hundreds of business in every city of our country (goodbye local businesses)). Almost no country, no great nation wants to help, not even England that are our allies.

When Greece was in a crisys, Portugal helped. When Finland was in a crisys, Portugal helped. Portugal helped many countries caught by catastrophies. Portugal always helped other countries without asking anything in return, yet when Portugal hits rock bottom of the well of disaster, even offering to pay (in some way) the rich countries are debating if they should or not throw a cord down it and help (what the?!).

To be honest, we are at the crisys because of the incompetence of our government, but so were the other places. Either way, the people need help and things are getting worst everyday.

Portugal is trying to get help from other European countries. One of them happens to be Finland, who doesn't want to help. I wonder what they would think after seeing this video.

In my opinion this short of reflects the human relationships, you help someone just because you want to help and when you need help they leave you hanging to your own fate.

Share your opinion. What you think, should other countries give a hand to Portugal or let our government find a way to fix it (or make it worst).

i'm of the opinion that US needs to take care of its own problems first before acting like supercop and try to 'help' other countries.

So portugal is in a crisis.

US still has its trillions dollars of debt, constant job cutbacks, education is suffering due to cut backs, unemployment's still high, etc. etc.

i don't really care what happens in other countries because US really needs to get its act together first.

That's the same thing that's wrong with Portugal. They're trying to fix it by cutting everywhere else, while some stuff that should be cut aren't being. Education, health and others have suffered so far. I almost lost my scholarship (i have economical disadvantages scholarhip), and i'm in danger of losing it next year, if that happens I won't be able to finish my college degree. Due to the recent changes I can't even take my masters degree (that i need to be a therapist and not an assistant therapist).

There are alot of countries who have good economical situations. If all countries cooperated to help each other when in crisys maybe some would not fall into such bad state.

"There are alot of countries who have good economical situations. If all countries cooperated to help each other when in crisys maybe some would not fall into such bad state."

^to idealistic. countries only help out when its beneficial to them in some way. And right now? It's not.

I feel bad for Portugal, but the truth is that there's little reason for other countries to help out. The value of the euro rested on the economic stability of Greece; Portugal doesn't have that. And, besides that, most other countries have their own massive problems nowadays. The whole world is in an economic crisis. =(

I think KTC hit the nail on the head. Everyone's in crisis right now, for different reasons. economics is only a small part of it. America is in debt, Japan is in trouble due to earthquakes and radiation, a lot of African countries live in severe poverty. those are just a few. before you can effectively help other people, you've got to figure your own stuff out.

I doubt anyone will help Portugal. The Middle East with its oil-rich countries has it's own problems, the subcontinent and even the Americas have no money and Europe won't help.

P.S- Did I mention that the oil-rich countries like UAE are prevention revolution by giving their public

1. Free Education and Health. All you need to do is show you're a local

2. Up to 500$ a month every month for working and non-working

In my opinion, many people could have started a similar thread. A lot of countries are having severe problems, and the others are unwillling--in fact, often unable--to help out.

I would agree with all the opinions I've read so far. It's not really current news. Global economic crisis has almost every country maimed. Can't it be solved if every country printed more currency notes? I think it can..

You have to be careful with just printing more money. There has to be a balance between the amount of money out in the world and the amount of goods/services out in the world.

If you print more money, the balance must be kept, so each individual currency note will be worth less. It'll take more money to purchase the same thing...this is inflation.

As a Finn I watched the Youtube video a while ago (or did I read about it in the paper, anyhow!) Our government didn't make our country to need help after the war from 1945-> and definitely not during it. The war itself made the need.

I don't mind helping ppl just for doing good things, but as KTC said about the US, we need to take care of our own problems, too. We really need our tax money ourselves to make our public health services still going on and make them better. It's an evergoing and almost impossible task to do... I work at the public health service and see the problems every day. So it's not surprising that our government wants to think through the whole "Helping Portugal" -project and the amount of the helping package.

Yeah, too many countries are in a deep mess right now. They can't afford to lend a hand to other countries because they themselves are in a big mess. For example, you and your neighbour got hit by a cyclone and both your houses fell apart. I'd think that you would want to repair your own house first before helping your neighbour repair theirs.