Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Yuffie

49 Days in the Wilderness

There was a couple from Canada who followed their GPS and got stuck on a logging road in the US. The woman was found after 49 days, surviving on water and a bit of food. The man hasn't been found- he left the van to get help, and never came back.

Click here for the full story.

I never really trusted the GPS to begin with- it's just not reliable sometimes. I think that it's pretty amazing though - this woman managed to survive for 49 days with minimal food or water! When I first heard about this, I was amazed. I don't know what I would have done if I were in her position. I probably would have left the van to find food, but stayed close enough to know where it was.

What are your opinions about this case? What would you do if you were in this situation? How do you feel about the GPS after reading this?

What GPS misleading them? I read the article and it doesn't mention anything about the GPS.

What it did mention was them taking a detour in area they don't know. Now that is a bad idea all around. If one doesn't know the area, one should stick to the main roads.

While I find the woman's endurance admirable, this could have been avoided if they stuck to the 'smart' thing and didn't detour.

GPS in general are very reliable. Even if this story involved a GPS system, think about the millions of people using GPS reliably.

Never mind that GPS thing, then. I heard the story before I read it, and someone must have added in something about the GPS misleading them, or telling them to go a certain way.

I don't really trust GPS because they aren't always updated for roads that are closed/unsafe and so on.

GPS is very reliable. That's how I found my college since I had no idea where it was. Thus, it's awesome for people like me who hate to know where every single place is

While exploring an unknown place, it is always wise to take a guide or gadgets that work. There's no other conclusion except that it was the couple's fault for not thinking it through before they proceeded.

Coming to your second question, I would've explored the surroundings little by little, only during the daytime, starting from the area around the van. At least until help arrived. There's little else that can be done in such a situation.

I read a different article on this and it did state that they were using a GPS. It wasn't the GPS that failed them; their van became stuck on the remote logging road and no one was around to find/help them.

It sounds like the GPS worked fine: how else could they have found and decided to take some remote logging road in the middle of nowhere? :P

Something a bit related to this has been occurring with cellphones and other technology. People think that technology can allow them to take more risks instead of using a bit of common sense to make judgements about what is really reasonable. I know that the Grand Canyon has had a huge increase in the number of people who end up needing to be rescued by park rangers because they go out unprepared for the terrain. Since they can always call for help (the park rangers don't have anything better to do that helicopter these people around or deliver them water, etc. do they?), they don't bother to evalutate their ability to finish what they start. GPS can be used, but not to the extent that we no longer know how to read a map, make reasonable choices about roads, etc. I suppose this sounds a bit like blaming the victim, but such situations are on the rise.

I'm amazed by that woman's survival skills, but I personally trust GPS. Often, GPS make people lost because they don't trust them, thinking they'll get them lost.

How does GPS make people get lost? If a person gets lost, then it's usually their fault for not using common sense. If you're not familiar with an area, then you shouldn't be taking unmarked roads.

Ditto mopiece. It would be like blaming another person for giving you the wrong directions when in reality you were the one who wasn't listening.

Yes, that's part of what I'm saying, but the fact that they're using a GPS may get them lost since they just do the opposite of what it says. I suppose te GPS doesn't get them lost, but rather the fact that it's on, due to the fact that they don't trust it.

That still isn't the GPS's fault. That is just the user's fault. The GPS unit can't make a person trust it, nor can it purposefully mislead a person. If a person decides to go against what the GPS says, then gets lost, then it's not the GPS unit's fault. The only person at fault is the user.

CAAAAT wrote:

"I'm amazed by that woman's survival skills, but I personally trust GPS. Often, GPS make people lost because they don't trust them, thinking they'll get them lost."

CAAAAT was saying that because the person did not trust on the GPS, which made them half-heartedly following the guidance.

But, if they didn't trust it, why bother using it? At least the have some faith so they wouldn't get lost

@Mopiece - That's how I accidentally phrased it. You have no right to tell me what I meant.

@shadowshed - For some reason, those people do sometimes use it. Possibly, since they think it says the opposite of what's correct, they want to know what not to do, and that gets them lost.

I trust GPS systems, they are more reliable then i am, i still doj't know the road to my grandparents, while it's a 20 minute drive, and we do it at least 5 times a month lol

I can't see how somebody can be lost for so long though, did she sit onj a rock and wait to get rescued or something? if you follow the road you must find a town or something eventually O_o