Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Coren

Aveyond I: Renn's Quest [Aveyond Genderswap Project] (With Illustrations) -- Chapter 7 Updated!

Alright, I did have this idea some time back, but I've decided to make some major changes to the story this time, and since I can't find the old thread anyway, I'm just going to update it here. :)

A teaser doodle:

oUqyEfv.jpg

Prologue

Snow in the Dream

The dark and deserted wasteland of illusions, twisting and turning in every direction, hail pouring from the sky onto the desolated earth. The dreamy, fragile, yet threatening landfill where spirts wander in every night, corrupting themselves with the neverending lust and greed of humankind. Only in their dreams can a normal human's treacherous heart run free, staining the world with twisted desires that turn humans into monsters as they sleep.

That was why he had to be here. It was his duty - his first and final duty, to protect the dreams of mortals with his life, his very existence. That was why he must maintain his spiritual self here, and he must not wake. The very sanity of the people of the world lie in his hands. With that thought in mind, he just gritted his teeth and kept on running. Only by running can he find solace, only by running can he find respite. Only by running can he find the motivation to stay alive, to stay here. Yet, the pursuer showed absolutely no sign of stopping, her maniacal laughter that sounded neither human nor monster screeching closer and closer. He did not know who she was - he did not know why she was here. She sure did not seem like a spiritual witch or a fragment of desire let out by the mind of a treacherous heart. She was not a being formed through a nightmare or a faithless dream. She was there, and there was only one thought in his mind when he saw her - that it was time, and that he could do nothing but run, run away, like a coward who could not complete his duty.

Eventually he screeched to a halt when the dead end drew near, overlooking an endless cliff of remembrance, desire and endless unfulfilled wishes. There was nowhere else left to run. Clenching his fist, he twirled around the spot, his white robes fluttering, to meet eye-to-eye with the being behind him, dressed in dark, bottle blue metal, holding a weapon that resembled pure malice itself. Her golden hair, the colour of riches and bottomless greed, flew in the hurricane she had conducted herself ever so beautifully. Her bangs shrowded her facial features, leaving nothing visible but a mouth that is curled into a twisted smile, a smile that screamed victory, that screamed the apocalypse.

Dread filled the pits of his stomach, as he readied his weapon, but the opponent was too fast for him. Nimbly, she chanted a spell that screamed so foul to human ears, conjuring bolts of lightning. The malevolent strikes rained down on the shocked priest, who barely dodged, but was not unharmed by the aftershock. His head ringing, he coughed up blood, and attempted to conjure another spell. The ball of flame, however, diminished ever so easily in the hail, extinguishing like a match in water. Coughing violently, the priest leaned on his staff, whispering. "Just who... are you...?"

In mock surprise, the woman tilted her head slightly to the left, and grinned again. "Some know me as the daeva Agas, Priest of Dreams. You, of all people, should know that."

The name froze his blood. It could not be - absolutely not. Agas was dead, sealed, gone. Before he had joined the priests, he had devoted his entire life to sealing away the Demon Realm. And yet, how could it have opened again? Were all his efforts fruitless in the end? Gritting his teeth, he yelled. "No way. Agas is sealed in the Demon Realm. There's no way you can be her!"

Upon hearing these words, the woman - Agas - burst into laughter. "Looks like all those years sleeping has really gotten into your head, Priest! You know nothing - nothing - even not of the fact that our mistress, Angra Mainyu, has freed us?"

Angra Mainyu. He thought that Agas was bad enough, but to think that all along, Angra Mainyu was still alive... "It can't be. Angra Mainyu is dead!" He looked down at his hands, and grabbed his head in horror, everything that he had worked for falling into pieces before his eyes - and for what? "Angra Mainyu is dead! I... I killed that monster!"

"He is back!" The woman screamed back, her joy and sadism evident in every syllable, in contrast to the priest's yells of absolute horror. "He is back, and there is nothing you can do!"

Stepping over to where the priest knelt, she calmly grabbed his hair, forcing his head up, and smiled. "And my mistress sends her regards."

Powerless to even move, the priest yelled in pain, shock and terror as another wave of malicious lightning tore through his body, tearing his flesh and threatening to rip him into shreds. He felt his life drain away, his stomach burning, and every inch of his skin screaming for death. Laughter echoed through his mind. He felt his consciousness begin to fade, as the footsteps pattered away, each step ringing through his head like yet another roar of thunder.

So that was how his life would end. A pathetic druid, powerless to complete his duty, powerless to save a single human being, who is going to leave this world without a fight. He felt he could die from embarrassment alone, as snow fell on his body, freezing his blood. In the end, he could protect nothing. He sacrificed his youth to destroy Angra Mainyu, but she returned. He sacrificed his wife to destroy Angra Mainyu and seal the Realm, but yet again, she returned. In the end, he was nothing but a powerless being who thought that he could perform the duty of protecting the world, and yet again, he could do nothing.

He could not save anyone.

He could not protect anything.

He could not protect the world.

But he couldn't give up here. Even if he could not protect the world... He must try. Even if there existed just a shred of lifeblood within him, he would not give up. Struggling to open his eyes, the surroundings felt immensely blurred and distorted. With all of his remaining strength, he muttered a spell, conjuring up a little bluebird, as light as mist, glowing in this desolated world, with just one purpose.

"Find the one." He ordered, his breath rasping. "... Bring him. To me."

And with that, he collapsed.

I didn't make any illustrations for the prologue, so here's a chibi of the genderswapped Talia just for the sake of it:

talface.png

YES. YEES. I was waiting for a genderbend fiction, because I'm too lazy to write my own. YAAAY! You made my day. My week. My MONTH. (*hugs*) But hey, we can't have girly names, right? So I guessed that instead of doing Larsa and Talian And Rhenin And Dameona and Galahada, and whatnot, I can make a few names off. If you don't have something already...?

Thanks, but I have already thought of the names (most of them, anyway) and no, they don't include Larsa, Talian and Galahada. :D

I don't think Ahriman is very feminine. Agas, maybe, due to d_a, but I think Ahriman should probably be Ahrima, or something. Good story, though. Ever considered writing a genderbent Aveyond parody?

@CAAAAAT: Tsk, of COURSE Agas is a feminine name! In the original myth, Agas is a GIRL! (What, did you think that Amanda and co came up with these names themselves?) Well, I think all the daevas' names are unisex anyway, but whatever.

And... isn't this ALREADY a genderbent parody? Except that it's all in seriousness? :D

@Kirroha: If you don't really mind changing names by a lot, Ahriman in the original myth have a second name: Angra Mainyu. It sounds slightly more feminine, so you can use that, but then it won't really be recognizable...

Here's a gift art of Girl-Agas from me, coz you don't have one of her:

width=450http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/sha-bo_de_LC/FemAgas.jpg[/img]

Yay for redesigned Agas :D My Aveyond-Agas has white hair now.

Nice pic. Anyway, by genderbent parody, I meant this, but funny, rather than all serious and a lot like the game. Not parodizing it so their the opposite gender, but parodizing it and genderbending it.

Thanks, D_A! :D Yep, I did do a bit of research on daevas to see whether I should change the names, but in the end I decided not to because in those legends, the genders are mostly ambiguous. I did consider using Angra Mainyu, but I found it too unrecognizable. Ahriman will be fine - I can just introduce it as some kind of alias to instill fear in people. Like "Voldemort". ;)

Awesome art! I am extremely honoured. :D And I love white hair, so that's definitely a plus.

Tell me about it! :S When I was researching daevas, I spent about half the time cursing the resources because Nanghaithya, Zarich, and Tawrich constantly change genders depending on what site you're looking at. Geh >______<

About the picture. It's just my Agas genderbent. My new version, that is. She's been sitting in my inventory for quite a while, but whatever. Glad you like it :D

@d_a: Haha, you went through that too? Yeah, since legends do change, it gets kind of difficult to get the details. (I found quite a few stuff about Vohu Manah though)

This chapter has a picture, which I made one very huge mistake in, but I shall not mention it because otherwise the huge mistake will get even more noticeable. :D Just pretend it's not there. *headdesk*

Chapter 1

A Bluebird In The Village Where The Story Begins

Click, click.

The light tapping on the window was what jolted Renn out of his peaceful slumber early in the morning. Of course, normally, nobody would have cared. But Renn knew that outside, the last bits of frost would be melting today. Nothing felt better than to rise and shine on a bright spring morning-

-not. Renn grumbled, tossed and turned, and went back to snoozing. He was sure he would be given a whole bunch of chores this afternoon anyway, given that the Spring Equinox was swiftly arriving. He wanted to at least be able to sleep in for the morning. Renn was usually a mild-mannered young man, pleasant and polite, but he never hesitated to growl whenever somebody denied him his beauty sleep.

"Petra, go away," he grunted loudly. The tapping stopped immediately. As giddy as he felt, he was a bit surprised. Whenever he growled at Petra, she would end up hitting the window even harder just to annoy him and to force him to wake, then laugh gleefully and insist on bringing him to join her in her weird hobbies. Petra particularly enjoyed chasing sheep and riding horses, rather unbecoming of a young girl, but nobody ever cared. After all, farm girls still need the physical strength. For a tomboy like Petra to stop just because she was yelled at would be quite ridiculous.

Wide awake from thought now, Renn sat up and yawned loudly. Passing his parents' room quietly in an effort not to wake them, he peeked through the door, and his heart leapt. A short-statured, meek little girl in an apron shuffled nervously at the door, her face red from the cold, her big brown eyes darting about in confusion. Renn felt a pang of guilt in the pits of his stomach - the girl he just rejected so rudely was Dayna - how could any boy think of hurting her, so sweet and innocent and fragile, like a flower? Renn liked Dayna very, very much - and so do most of the other boys in the village, but Dayna had made it quite clear that she reciprocated Renn's feelings. For that, Renn had felt he was the happiest man in the world.

Opening the door slowly so as to not seem to desperate, he stepped outside into the cold win, grinning from ear to ear. Upon seeing him, Dayna smiled widely.

"Renn! I'm so glad you came out!" Glancing sideways a little, a small beam on her rosy face, she added. "Do you... Want to come pick marionbells with me? For the Spring Equinox, I mean."

"Of course!" Renn gasped immediately, catching Dayna by surprise with his uncannily tremendous interest. Seeing that, Renn shrunk a little, putting his fingers together, embarrassed. "I mean... Yeah, of course," he replied, laughing weakly.

renn-dayna2.png

Dayna beamed, but was quickly distracted by a little glowing bluebird descending from the air. Her eyes grew as large as saucers, her mouth agape. Wordlessly, she gestured towards the incoming bird. A grin still on his face, Renn turned around, and the collision happened.

Bang.

~~~

When he opened his eyes, Dayna was nowhere to be seen. Immediately he yelled her name, but not before he noticed that the surroundings had changed drastically. The hailstorm raged, causing him to shudder in cold and fright. Just where was this place? Is Dayna okay? Question after question flowed through his mind, none of which he was able to answer. Until a weak voice began to call for him.

"Help... me..."

Renn jolted. It was not Dayna's voice - it was the voice of a man, an adult man, heavily injured. As he swung around, he saw the figure, collapsed on the floor. Dressed in a clump of bloodied white robes tinged with blue, his red hair shone oddly in this desolated world.

"Por... tal..." The man whispered, gesturing in another direction, where a very familiar, glittering bluebird has transformed into a brilliant, intensifying magic circle. Knowing by instinct what he was to do, with all his might he pulled at the injured man by the hem of the robes and jumped into the glowing light.

~~~

The familiar surroundings with cherry trees and apples ascended into view again, and he relaxed with relief as he heard Dayna's gasp of surprise. He knew that this man had magic - he was special. None of the village children had ever seen magic, and with great excitement, Renn yelled for his parents. His father ran over, puzzled at the mysterious, injured guest, but his mother's eyes opened wide in recognition.

The man struggled to stand, opening his dark green eyes, and whispered in a low voice directly to Mrs. Darzon.

"It is time, Tayla. ... I have come."

By that time, a crowd has formed. Mrs. Darzon, quickly asking for a few villagers to help her carry the strange man into the house, yelled for Renn to get the herbalist. With the help of Dyon, the man's wounds were able to heal, stablising his condition. Yet, there were a million questions in Renn's mind. And certainly, that was merely the first strange event in a series yet to come.

~~~

The priest stirred. He felt his strength return, but his vision was still blurry. He tried to sit up, but two strong yet gentle arms stopped him.

"You need to rest," a gentle voice of an old man came to him. The priest froze. It sounded like a voice he had heard before - a voice from another lifetime. A voice from when he was a child, an old, soft voice, belonging to the man named Avhren. No, he must be mistaken. All these memories would just make him sadder. "Thank you for helping me. ... Who are you? Where's... that child?"

"I'm the herbalist, Dyon. If you are talking about the boy whom you got to help bring you here, that was Renn Darzon, son of Owen and Tayla Darzon. Is there something you need?"

The priest paused, and relaxed. "Nothing... I just wanted to thank him." He smiled a little. "Dyon, is it...? Ah, when I was young, I wanted to become someone like you. ... But fate changes things."

A humorless laugh, as he fell back into slumber, leaving the herbalist Dyon puzzled at his words.

I know it's a butterfly, not a bluebird. But butterflies are girly. ;)

And I will be changing minor parts of the plot where I see fit so the story flows better, so unless you see a gaping plot hole, don't bother talking about inconsistencies.

I wished you'd kept Danny/Dayna's hair brown, like in the pixels. I almost thought she was LARS (or whatever girl-Lars' name is).

By the way, I have info on all the druids EXCEPT Eithera (and the daevas, but that's kinda obvious, since I've ranted about them at least 3 times in this site). Eithera is apparently not based on anything in Persian myth, so there's nothing there to give you. I'm not sure if any of these would help you with the story, since the myth has nothing to do with Aveyond buuut... If you need anything, I'm always ready with info. I've researched the Persian myth as thoroughly as possible, to the point that I'm starting to wonder why on earth do I care so much.

Brown? It's certainly not brown. I used to think it was black, but I know it's green. Maybe you should edit it to 'dark green, almost black'.

Oops... I meant to say dark grey. Wasn't sure why I said brown. I mean, I thought that even if the grey WAS tinted green ever so slightly, it's not supposed to be that green. Oh, what do I know? I'm sire it's the magic of Photoshop/Sai/whatever that makes EVERYTHING look different. Once you draw/make them bigger.

@Kirroha: I own the pixels for all of Aveyond, remember? :P You don't have to show me a screenshot of the game.

@CAAAAT: And? I was saying about how stuff looks a lot different as pixels than it is when you look closely at the colours. I never realized that Rhen's hair has a lot of blue in it until I zoomed in up close and "picked" the colours with the eye-dropper.

Same thing with Danny. I thought it's just regular dark grey [i was half-asleep when I wrote "brown"] but when I checked, it IS indeed very green-tinged. I'm not sure how green it looks if you try and draw stuff with it, because I haven't tried it yet, but it IS green.

@Kirroha: Sorry for doubting your art :S It's just that the green you used looked too bright. I'd say you might want to use the shade one step darker than that if you were using the pixels as colour palette, but I guess it's a bit too late now? Btw, you still want my myth-spam or do you think they're irrelevant (because the druids and daevas are not really important)?

Well, I didn't really have a comment on what exactly you said, but not posting would sort of remove me from the conversation we're having. What I said is irrelevant.

BTW, post Kirroha!

Sorry to say this, but the upcoming chapters will not have illustrations for now, because I'm going overseas. I'm going to lug my laptop over, but I can't bring my scanner. I will probably remake them when I come back.

Chapter 2

The Black Sun of the Forlorn Night

The dark sun loomed on the horizon, staining the red earth dark with pure malice. In the midst of it all, a robed figure stood unmoving, watching the sun as it burned on, dark and sinister, emptying the world of light.

As the robed figure continued to stand in frozen dignity, a woman in blue armor stepped in, her feet crushing pebbles as she moved as quickly as she could without seeming desperate. As she reached her mistress, she bowed deeply, falling on her knees and removing her helm. Loose, platinum blond hair fell over her shoulders.

"My lady," she said deeply.

The figure did not move. Seconds pass in silence before she finally spoke. "What did you do to the priest?" A low, quiet voice with an edge of menace resounded through the hall. Agas barely concealed her shudder.

"I struck him down, my lady. Just as you ordered." Her voice remained still.

"You lie." There was no mistaking it now - her voice was filled with malice and disappointment. Agas was struck speechless immediately, fearing what will follow. The robed woman shook violently as she spoke. "I see him... I see him, even in my dreams! How do you explain that? He's still alive, that's why. You failed me, Agas. You failed me."

"But my lady!" Agas could no longer keep her cool as she bolted up in fear and indignance. "I struck him down! The same way you asked me to-"

"Silence." She - Angra Mainyu - was quiet again. "Don't be a fool, Agas. Luckily for you... I've had a little change in plan."

"A-A change of plan, my lady?" Agas couldn't mask the relief and curiosity in her voice as she brightened up. "What is it, may I ask?"

Silence again, as Angra Mainyu brought a finger to her lips and thought. "Death is but a swift escape. But a slave... suffers for eternity."

"You wish to enslave him, my lady? But... how?" Agas felt nothing but puzzlement, and perhaps a little disappointment. Angra Mainyu had been known for coming up with strange ideas of revenge. How could they possibly even locate the priest now, let alone get him enslaved? It seemed all too much.

As if she could read Agas' mind, the woman giggled softly. "Are you doubting my abilities, Agas? But worry not. I have my... contacts. And of course, there is a new servant who has pledged her loyalty to me."

"A new servant, my lady?" Agas asked politely, trying to hide the annoyance that was staining her voice. "She must be dark, indeed."

"I am honored that my senior will think so highly of me." A crisp, polite voice of a young lady echoed, as the new servant stepped in. Agas whirled around immediately.

KJJsG.jpg

The new servant was not quite what she expected. For one, she looked positively youthful - perhaps only in her twenties, yet with a stern aura of maturity. With slick brown hair pushed elegantly to one side of her face, she possessed an air of dignity worthy of a servant of the Dark Lady. Yet, none of these were all the more shocking than her attire, which consisted of a set of golden robes. At the sight of those robes, Agas immediately dreaded what she saw.

"The Sun Priestess!" Agas yelled instinctively, getting ready for battle. Yet, Angra Mainyu merely looked amused, and a small chuckle left the lips of the new girl with the dark brown hair. "I do believe that my lady has already introduced me. My name is Damena; I am now working against the Sun God, if you have not already realized. But of course, I've heard of how brilliant Lady Agas is; certainly she must have realized," the young woman said softly, and Agas could see a barely concealed smirk flash across her face. Agas clenched her fist.

Lightly twirling to face Angra Mainyu's direction, Damena bowed deeply. "I have discovered his location, my lady. Tomorrow, I will send for a slave trader to take him away. And my father... will get what he deserves."

With that, she smirked as Angra Mainyu joined in the laughter.

Lightly twirling to face Ahriman's direction, Damena bowed deeply. "I have discovered her location, my lady. Tomorrow, I will send for a slave trader to take her away. And my father... will get what he deserves."

Who is "her"? Shouldn't it be "him", since Talia is a man now?