Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ashen_Eclipse

Children Suing their Parents? What??

Evidently, you can sue your parents because the didn't buy you that dress you wanted for homecoming.

Steven and Kathryn Miner sued their mother for 'bad parenting'- sending birthday cards with no money in them, for example.

I'm sorry, but what?

They lost the lawsuit, of course, but still... Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if it started happening more often.

Bah, rich kids who don't know how to appreciate blessings. I hope they get abusive parents in their next lives. That'll teach them what's really "bad parenting".

The most sirius allegation was ONE slap on the top of your head? Gimme a break.

"threatening to call the police if her son didn't wear his seatbelt" --> what's wrong with that? In fact, he TOTALLY deserves it.

"forcing her daughter to come home from a homecoming party at midnight" --> I didn't know curfews are abusive... mine is at nine XD honestly, they should've seen that only good parents would take such care of them by wanting them to be good people instead of another Dudley Dursley.

Well, crazy lawsuits happen. I remember laughing like mad when my Business teacher told me about people suing McDonald's because they got fat and one lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled their hot coffee while driving and burned herself.

This one though, it's just insane. Especially coming from my Asian background where kids are supposed to be very VERY good to their parents.

Whoa, that's insane. This is the appreciation shown for the two people who not only brought you in this life, but also cared and raised you? That is messed up... next thing I know people will start to MURDER their relatives (oh, wait, that happened a few years ago in my area). Sigh.

well, of course I am not saying that the above case makes sense, but it's nt strange that you can sue your parents when you are an adult yourself.

In the case that your parents really don't taking ^parenting seriously (of course when you are 20, you could leave your parents), and actually arer abusive, it's only right you can sue them, just like anyone else could.

Problemis that the law is not always that specific on certain subjects, allowing people to make crazy lawsuits (I have heard that this happens especcially in USA, but I wouldn't know since I don't live there)

In this case, the mother was sued, not the father. In fact the father represented the children, and I use that term loosely, in the law suit. This couple was divorced, and the whole thing smells of daddy being the instigator. Mom was left with huge legal bills for this very frivolous and totally ridiculous law suit. Makes you wonder why they divorced, no?

@lovinlife - well actually there was some speculation that the father was behind the lawsuit. He claims he tried to discourage the kids from it, but if so, why was he the one representing the kids? It does seem fishy to me. It was a very messy divorce by all accounts and a completely crazy suit for sure.

@spence: If the dad’s involved, it makes the lawsuit far more pathetic than it already is. Man takes revenge on his wife by snatching $500,000 from her, using their kid as the spokesperson, because s/he ditched him/her? Great, just what divorced couples need.

If that is true, spence, the father should be sued for criminal breach of trust, since no doubt the courts had a hand in deciding the custody of the children. IMO Parents have a legal and fiduciary duty towards their children, even without the courts deciding which parent is more suited to be entrusted with their care. To not only allow but encourage the children on this path is just irresponsible, idiotic, and a few other unspeakable terms I can't use here.

Kids seem to do all sorts of crazy things these days... I remember a couple years back, a group of 5 third graders tried to kill their teacher somewhere.

Sounds like their curfews just weren't strict enough if they're pulling bs like that...

also the judge had way too much time on his hands if he allowed the case in he first place. . .

I can't believe that a kid would sue their parents for something so idiotic. Curfews are normal, even when there's a big party. Hitting your kid on the head once isn't going to ruin their whole life (unless you happened to have hit them very hard, using something very damaging). Celebrating birthdays by giving money isn't even required- sure, it's nice, but it's definitely not necessary to the child's survival unless they're destitute, which these children obviously weren't.

I can't even imagine taking my parents to court unless they had done something really horrible to me, which they wouldn't do. These kids were practically crying over spilled milk.

Those kids have too much time on their hands, and they shouldn't have been troubling their mother with something so frivolous and resource consuming.

Don't you think it is the parents fault if they don't raise their children well? Has somebody ever seen the tv show my sweet sixteen? Parents spoil their kids like crazy and they end up like that. If you are a good parent, you should know that, right?

it would depend on what you're definitions of a good parent and what well behaved children are.

For example, some people call other ppl bad parents because their kid is gay. And other people believe that as long as the kid is well fed, sheltered, and educated, everything's cool. Loving and affection are not needed. Still other people think that if their kid ends up non-catholic, that makes them lousy parents. And the list goes on.

Though I think while the parents do factor in a great deal, not all the blame should be placed on them. Ultimately, a kid is an individual with supposedly working brain function. A lot of the decision to simply obey to whatever their parents say is their decision. And many of their actions will also be their own.

After the age of around 15-16, the parents, despite having nurtured the kids as well as any, have no control over their kids. It's on the kids, now adults to decide their actions

heh, that tricky hormonal (and often in retrospect embarassing) stage where everything seems worst than they are. I do not miss it.

This makes me think of the dumb things I pulled off when I was 15 ;)

I was only grounded once in my life for skipping school (three months of epic groundage) and I took my 2 days of detention like a man hah. After that I took the guys [teacher who loled at us while we sat there] AP class and we were friendly after heh.

I think I should have given my parents more grief, now my little sister is getting to that stage and they just don't have the experience dealing with it. That should show you a lesson guys and gals give your parents grief so they have the experience later on in life haha.

I can slightly understand suing your parents if they were abusive or something, but because they didn't buy you the prom dress you wanted? I mean, that is so selfish. I didn't get my fist pick prom dress, usually. I ended up with what fit in our budget. Anything really expensive (like the bridesmaid gown for my aunt's wedding) I had to wear twice. Big deal.

Kids today are so used to getting what they want. My cousin, after whining about wanting a Wii, had it for maybe a year, and then sold it to get an Xbox 360. Now, that wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that he now wants another Wii. >.> And he expects my gram to give him hers.

Now, I'm not saying I wasn't spoiled. I most certainly was. It comes from being an only child/only grandchild for 12+ years. But I would -never- consider suing my parents, even if I/they had the money. That's even taking into consideration that I do not like my father at all. I still couldn't do it.

I think the sueing also has to do with the age of those kids. Everyone thinks different of what is important, and maybe that was pretty important for them, right? I still think it is part of the parents fault, since most ppl have a clear idea of what is important. It's still no excuse, to sue your mother though.

Just like everyone, they are just some spoilt rich kids.

@welovemel:

It is said that those 'kids' are in their twenties. 23 years old!! You probably are going to married around the age.

"I still think it is part of the parents fault, since most ppl have a clear idea of what is important."

^ Some birthday party, you mean? Seriously, I have never got my birthday any party nor presents. And I'm perfectly fine with it. *coughs*

I mean, look at them. Some adults who wanted to have luxury of birthday presents. I really think that it doesn't that important anymore, unless they were another some grader students, lol.

@Sophia-I totally agree with your comments. It sounds like the dad has had some subtle manipulation going on.

One of the comments (I'm not sure in this article-I had read it previously in another paper) was that one of the examples of bad parenting was a birthday card that the son didn't like. SERIOUSLY?!! How did he miss the fact that his Mom remembered and sent him a card to recognize him on his birthday!

@Jayshe-What is totally nuts is that this case was dismissed and they took it to the appelate court (court of appeals). Dad denies any manipulation but he IS a lawyer apparently and represented these charming "children" for free.