Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brycej

Show Us: A thread on your local animals

ewww!

We're moving house in a couple of weeks, and I know there USED to be a lot of those around the place we're moving to. Those, and mice :( We have a cat, and will be getting another. I think we might add ducks or chickens to the list :)

Ahahah, unfortunately, I haven't seen a moose yet! I think I'd be scared if I came across one, though. They're massive and I think they're known to charge sometimes, too. And if you hit one with your car, you're a goner (as well as the moose).

I finally found some of my photos of the local wildlife. The animals are a little farther away, because I had to race and find the camera.

Coyote- He was a little crazy and wandering around one afternoon.

align=center width=300http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/866/coyoteg.jpg[/img]

Raccoon- The family of raccoons would hang around for a few hours every afternoon to eat some of the berries from the palm tree.

align=center width=300http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4063/raccoonsh.jpg[/img]

Tortoise- The gopher tortoise liked the mulchy spot that was left after we removed the giant pine tree.

align=center width=300http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8956/tortoisez.jpg[/img]

Couldn't get a picture of it but a few days ago either mom or dad was outside when Patches (one of my cats) chased a baby chipmunk up one of our trees. At least it is safe. Chipmunks are quite rare to see where I am.

awww, wish you had a picture of that.

We went away for the weekend, and I got these photos.

RainbowLorikeets.jpg

A local (to Gold Coast, Queensland) beekeeper and flower grower started to feed the lorikeets, in order to keep them from destroying his flowers. The lorikeets soon learned where the food was, and their regular visits became a bit of a curiosity. In 1947 he established a sanctuary, and in 1976 he gifted it to the National Trust of Queensland. These birds ARE wild, but they know that twice a day they can come here and get food. They won't come near you if you don't have anything to give them. My arms had little pin-pricks all along them after this :) We have two of these birds as pets, and while they'll sometimes come close enough for a nibble on your finger, we don't yet have them eating out of our hands.

And of course I just couldn't pass up sharing a photo of this gorgeous guy (girl?) taking food out of my hand (which, of course, they won't do in the wild).

kangaroo.jpg

@Arggie, I bet that's where she gets half her game ideas from ;)

@Soumy, wow, that's amazing! Peacocks are beautiful, but I've never seen one up THAT close!

@Argie: Lol, he looks innocent enough- he's just eating. :lol: He doesn't seem to have the plan to rule the world XD

@Shazzy: Is that...a kangaroo in the second picture? :roll:

@Sou: Wow, it's really pretty and colourful~ Reminds me of someone giving me a branch of its feather when I was a child :D (is that even called 'branch'?)

You took that photo or you just copy it from a site, Sou? And yeah, that fact with kangaroos is true. I heard that it's strong enough to kill a person (?)

um....my aunt took d pic of d pcock but the pic of dis squirrel is copied.(since its exactly like the ones that keep roaming around my house)

Edit:is it necessary to post the pics that u took? cant we post the pics of local animals taken by someone else?

@Sargon, what's a hyrax? I've never heard of it before.

@Soumy, it depends on the setting. Like all wild animals, if you bump into one in the wild, look out! Accidental encounters with wild kangaroos are VERY rare. They are very alert and are afraid of us. As soon as they realise someone is approaching, they're outta there! They'd only attack you if you were very close and caught them by surprise. But if they grow up around people, they get used to them and ignore them for the most part.

Their tails are very strong, and they can balance on them to make use of their two incredibly powerful legs. So yes, they can do a lot of damage. One of the worst things is to hit one while driving, and have it come through the windscreen - wild 'roo trapped inside the car with you.

On the opposite side, though, I've had a lot of them for pets while growing up, and when they're tame, they're the most beautiful, peaceful creatures I've ever come across.

I'd be VERY surprised if they punch. Their claws ARE big, but their forearms are very thin and not very strong. Those would be better for grabbing an opponent and pulling him towards you so you can bite him or get him in position for a good kick.

Well, we just had one of THESE pay us a visit - must have decided it preferred to be inside with the air conditioning than outside in the 33C/91F temps.

For some reason, taking a picture of it wasn't foremost on my mind, so you'll have to make do with the one on that link. Thankfully, it was happy to hide behind our tv unit while we found ourselves a catcher and he made his way over.

Oh wow, I love snakes but I'd have been a little worried to be around one of those venomous ones.

I hope it didn't go after anyone in your family.

Oh, after I posted you added to yours. Glad your family is okay!