Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
over_cloud9

What do you expect in an RPG?

@ivana: Sorry, used to another rpg game forum where those terms are used.

Hard lvl cap = maximum lvl programmed.

Soft lvl cap = what you typically get to in one game set at ~normal.

Some rpgs like dragon age have DLCs (downloadable content ie extra quests and such) or replay bonuses (2nd run = more exp earned) so having a high lvl cap is suitable for these types of games. It saves the hassle of having to raise the caps anyway in the DLC.

For example, in DA, even if you kill everything and finish all quests, you'll still only get to around lvl 15-20. With the DLC content though, you'll easily hit max cap at 35.

And as shed said, having a high max cap give some players incentive to play the game longer. Higher lvl = more stats = more pwnage to go around. I don't see what's wrong to indulge them when it hurts no one and is easy to program.

Ah no wonder. I thought the same when you wrote those terms.

Well that might be the case for some types of games, but why would you go through the hassle of leveling up when there's nothing new to discover? The story gets stuck unless you beat the final boss and the only thing you'll benefit from that is to satisfy your curiosity or make the final battle super-duper easy. :S I'd rather ask the other players what the skills are (or IF there's one) rather than waste another 1 or 2 hours to level all of them up.

Most of the old RPGs I've played doesn't even have a new or "super awesome secret" skill even when reaching the max level. Just increasing the stats. Unless the story is long enough for me to reach the max level, then I mostly wouldn't try and bother doing it. *shivers at the thought of Exit Fate*

Exactly as Ivana said.

Also, the story has to be complex, either politically (Aka TTHW), demonically (Aka TTHW and Av1), with betrayal or something philosophical (Aka The Way)

I agree about the level cap. Another thing that bugs me is when Final battles require you to be say, level 85-90 while you'd get killed in the dungeons at this level (Aka Aveyond, the one con). Also, I really dislike it when your final boss require you to be 20-25 levels more than for ANY other monster.

And something like Alchemy (Aveyond) or something like the potions (TTHW) or a custom system (The Way) helps too

You should even out the advantages and disadvantages all together. Like in AV1, you use the level goodie before enrolling. You loss some skills you could have learned making battles longer if they are prone to magic and resistant to melee.

Personally, I almost never TRY to reach the maximum level, but if the final boss kills me I appreciate there being an option to level up further to get ready.

@ivana: But you don't have to level up to the max. It's only for people who want to hit max cap for whatever reason.

It's an option, not a requirement. As for myself, I hate farming so I don't generally hit the cap. I only hit it if the game allows second runs (Mass effect), has many DLCs (Dragon Age), or I feel like farming (Adventurequest).

Now, if you were fighting to get a lvl 30 armor but the lvl required to even do the quest was lvl 60, than we have a problem.

@KTC- I think Ivana's like my sister. She HAS to get to the maximum level even if you can finish it on half of the level. My sister got to Ahriman's lair at level 60 , found it was near the end, and the promptly spent the rest of her time levelling up to level 99 while I watched, wondering why she was doing it

@theone: dang, well more power to her I guess? (and never let her play Dragon age 2 than since you'll never get to max level. Soft cap at ~lvl 25. Hard cap at lvl 50.)

Oh, I just played the demo for Path of Thantos for about five minutes and thought of something else.

I do NOT want a game to immediately begin with a big battle. I want a chance to explore and get oriented with the world before tackling monsters. Like I said before, battles aren't the main reason why I play RPGs, so when the first thing I have to do is battle when I'm not yet hooked onto the story or the characters, I'm likely to just uninstall the demo if I lose.

IvanaDeRossi wrote:

Huh why am I like her? I thought I said I don't like reaching the max level o_O

Then what's the problem then? If you don't like getting to it, don't get to it (It's not like my sister enjoys battling, she just has this desire to get to the final level)

After playing ME3, what I expect in a good rpg is a good ending to go with it.

Without getting into spoiler territory, ME3's ending has no closure, plotholes, and uses a deus ex machina poorly. The developers seemed to have just tired from the whole thing. Not a good sign.

I don't expect endings to be happy, but I do expect them have closure (like what happened to everyone) and not pull a deus ex machina. If you must use a Deus Ex, it should not come out of the blue within last 5 minutes of the game and should match with the rest of the game.

@ Ivana, I've never thought of RPGs as "making you think there's something to achieve when there's not" by having a high maximum level. It's not like they're saying "Hey, reach the maximum level for a special surprise!" and then saying "SURPRISE! There's nothing! We tricked you!" Having Level 99 be available doesn't mean you HAVE to reach it or feel a need to. I think you're making a bit too big a deal about it. Your post also struck me as borderline rude with the use of "Duh" and the rolling eyes smile.

A good storyline and decent game play and challenge and such (and the stupid holy crap let's make this hard switch isn't turned on all the time).

As for graphics, I love graphics as much as the next person and their always a plus BUT as they say: Graphics don't make a "good game"

Usually my expectations in length of an RPG is 40 hours or more but this varies it depends how memorable the experience is in the game.

What I like in a good rpg is a good and easy to follow storyline that's well written. There's many games that have a poor storyline in which they try to make their story 'unique' but they instead turn into a bunch of gobbily gook that makes next to no sense. Either that, or they try to rush through the game and make a ridiculous amount of grammatical errors which is highly distracting in game play. I prefer well thought-out games, even if it may take a while. That's what got me into Aveyond after all.

Another thing I like is exploration. I like the little side quests in rpgs, especially if it leads to learning about the character's you're playing. It's a bonus for me if it's more than just fetch me this item! Exploring while doing these quests makes the game a bit more memorable because of the side characters encountered. A good example would be Asteria's Harpies in Spiralbreeze.

Lastly, I can't stand a game with too much cheesy dialog. I like more charismatic writing that makes the game player think. So yeah, It's not the battles that make a game for me or the puzzles. It's how the story is written and how the characters act/speak.

Well, good story line especially the starting needs to be brilliant, otherwise it is quite difficult to follow the game. Otherwise the series should already be known to be too good.

something which can make me feel powerful :D for example, if the RPG is easy, it would be easier for me to level up and to stomp those low level monsters, which, of course, is the best thing I've ever felt when playing RPG GAMES ;)

something which can make me feel powerful :D for example, if the RPG is easy, it would be easier for me to level up and to stomp those low level monsters, which, of course, is the best thing I've ever felt when playing RPG GAMES ;)
 I agree with you Grisel, defeating enemies in on click, also, I like to have a good story plot, Amazing Maps, and cool tilesets, and characters, oh and sometimes the music